Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

HopperUK posted:

I am wary of 'people with ugly thoughts become ugly' because it could easily lead to 'ugly people must have ugly thoughts'.

i dunno about lead to, seems like it's already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm pretty sure Glinner's physical health has gone downhill since completely ruining his own life, which would have a negative impact on his appearance

e: plus the fact he would've, you know, got older

The Wicked ZOGA fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 22, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Being transphobic ages you. If you're mates with trans people they will teach you about grooming and makeup and you will stay young forever

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Glinner's always looked like a wanking man catching his reflection in the back of a ladle. He does look more pallid of late though

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

roomtone posted:

i dunno about lead to, seems like it's already there.

Nah, it doesn't claim that's the only way people become ugly. But it's also just not true, not really.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I must admit, when people get into "haha, he's ugly," with any politician or celebrity with poo poo opinions that people want to make fun of, I find it a bit unfortunate because I am extremely not good looking, Linehan just looks like a pretty average 54 year old bloke to me? The issue is his utterly disgusting opinions and thoughts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Isomermaid posted:

Glinner's always looked like a wanking man catching his reflection in the back of a ladle. He does look more pallid of late though

Sleeping in a race car will do that to you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Being transphobic ages you. If you're mates with trans people they will teach you about grooming and makeup and you will stay young forever

Probably not the best word to use given the discourse.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Probably not the best word to use given the discourse.

Ah yeah, tbh that wouldn't really occur to me but I see your point. I guess I'm glad that I haven't been brain-poisoned on that one, but I guess it's some more rhetorical ground we have to cede to the idiots

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

It's frustrating because his argument I think has truth to it. Anti-Semitism is treated differently, Jews are treated as white and not white when its convenient. These things need to be talked about and explored. But Baddiel with his history of using pretty much every minority under the sun as the butt of his jokes is the absolute worst person to be making it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah people should include at least the very next sentence " A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly". In fact, you could probably reduce the whole thing down to that one thought

Me and my gammon face beg to differ with ol' Roald on that. But there you go, there's plenty of worse things to be than bog ugly, and Glinner's a fair number of them too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Me and my gammon face beg to differ with ol' Roald on that. But there you go, there's plenty of worse things to be than bog ugly, and Glinner's a fair number of them too.

Well the second part of the quote is that no matter what you actually look like, if you have nice thoughts they shine out of you and everyone can tell

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well the quote doesn't say you'll look beautiful or pretty. It says if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you'll look lovely.

Beauty in like, kindness and laughter and love is better than beauty of face but it's a lot harder to spot than ole Racist Roald made out there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My work have put some World Cup competition article bollocks on the intranet and a surprising amount of the comments are some variation on “gently caress the World Cup and gently caress you for supporting it”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

It's frustrating because his argument I think has truth to it. Anti-Semitism is treated differently, Jews are treated as white and not white when its convenient. These things need to be talked about and explored. But Baddiel with his history of using pretty much every minority under the sun as the butt of his jokes is the absolute worst person to be making it.

I agree that anti-semitism is treated differently. Anti-semitism is unacceptable racism and anti-black or anti-muslim/arab or anti-Indian or anti- what have you are all essentially ignored by "polite society" as a bit of banter. Islamophobia is practically the state religion in this country & I don't see people getting kicked out of the Labour Party in hordes for it, despite plenty recorded examples of a casual Islamophobia in Labour circles.

David Baddiel himself engages in a hierarchy of racism, one where anti-semitism is at the top because it impacts him personally & everything else is underneath. Which to some extent is understandable but does rather make it hard to take him seriously as anti-racism crusader. Which is the point of "this you?"ing into his mentions, nothing to do with a hierarchy of racism, it's saying that I don't take you seriously when you have never done more than give the most mealy-mouthed apology for blacking up. Like, it's not even that he did. He shouldn't have & "it was a long time ago" is a poo poo justification because we all knew black face was lovely in the '90s, all he had to do was show genuine understanding & remorse & he can't because he's a self-obsessed oval office.

Part of the problem is that anti-semitism is a serious problem and it does exist on the left but not really at rates higher than in the rest of the country. But for some reason anti-semitism is weaponised to attack political enemies & as was blatantly loving obvious when people started doing that because it was the attack line that actually stuck on Corbyn for whatever reason, it makes a lot of people who are very anti-racist get mighty suspicious & inclined to dismiss accusations of anti-semitism out of hand. Meanwhile The Spectator & various newspapers are happy churning out lines about cultural Marxism & shock horror, the majority of people who ranted & raved against Labour's anti-semitism problem in the Corbyn years simply do not give a gently caress. Not all of them, clearly, but certainly John Woodcock seems less concerned about anti-semitism by the right than by the left. Never mind Islamophobia or anything else.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 22, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

I agree that anti-semitism is treated differently. Anti-semitism is unacceptable racism and anti-black or anti-muslim/arab or anti-Indian or what have you are all essentially ignored by "polite society" as a bit of banter. Islamophobia is practically the state religion in this country & I don't see people getting kicked out of the Labour Party in hordes for it, despite plenty recorded examples of a casual Islamophobia in Labour circles.

It's okay, if you remember the tories investigated themselves for islamophobia and found themselves guilty of nothing. So we're apparently good on that front.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah you're still allowed to blow AS foghorns in the press as long as it's about Cultural Marxism or rootless intellectuals or doctors' conspiracies or Ed Miliband's kitchen quantity and ability to eat bacon sarnies.

You just can't go on about 'Jewish culture' the same way that you can about 'Black culture'.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Mega Comrade posted:

This is absolutely true, but the premise that anti-Semitic jokes or comments aren't a matter of concern, or viewed as widely discriminatory in a way that, say, anti-Muslim jokes or comments are, is just patently absurd. Compare the prevalence and acceptance of, say, anti-Ziganism to anti-Semitism and it's immediately obvious that the presentation of the issue by Baddiel and other similar libs--who, as we all know, are often conveniently fixated on condemning the legitimate criticism of Israel as anti-Semitism--is disingenuous.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I agree that anti-semitism is treated differently. Anti-semitism is unacceptable racism and anti-black or anti-muslim/arab or anti-Indian or anti- what have you are all essentially ignored by "polite society" as a bit of banter. Islamophobia is practically the state religion in this country & I don't see people getting kicked out of the Labour Party in hordes for it, despite plenty recorded examples of a casual Islamophobia in Labour circles.

David Baddiel himself engages in a hierarchy of racism, one where anti-semitism is at the top because it impacts him personally & everything else is underneath.

Part of the problem is that anti-semitism is a serious problem and it does exist on the left but not really at rates higher than in the rest of the country. But for some reason anti-semitism is weaponised to attack political enemies & as was blatantly loving obvious when people started doing that because it was the attack line that actually stuck on Corbyn for whatever reason, it makes a lot of people who are very anti-racist get mighty suspicious & inclined to dismiss accusations of anti-semitism out of hand.

From what I see anti-semitism was weaponised in the labour party, but not by Jews. It was the right wing of the party. And the reason you don't see waves of people being thrown out for Islamophobia is because connecting the 'undesirables' to Islamophobia would have been more difficult than it was to link to anti-semitism, not because anti-semitism is treated more seriously.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Linehan just looks like a pretty average 54 year old bloke to me? The issue is his utterly disgusting opinions and thoughts.
No I mean literally, you look at pictures of him from 10, 15 years ago and he's hardly a model, but he looks like a normal person you'd reasonably expect to meet on the street. Now, he looks like his skull is literally enlarged on one side. His face looks lopsided to the point I wonder if he hasn't had a stroke or something.

E: I'm not saying that as an edgy joke, I mean if you look at his mouth in recent photos where he's not consciously grimacing, his face has that kind of asymmetry.

Way back when I was a teenager, the father of one of my friends had a stroke. He was 'lucky' in that it didn't impact his mobility or his speech, but it totally changed his personality. He completely lost his attachment to his wife and children, resented spending any of 'his' money on them, and started buying himself luxuries while denying them necessities.

While there's plenty of evidence that he was always a bit of a poo poo, it does make me wonder if there was a neurological episode behind the divorce / transphobia / descent into antivaxx arc.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 22, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

From what I see anti-semitism was weaponised in the labour party, but not by Jews. It was the right wing of the party. And the reason you don't see waves of people being thrown out for Islamophobia is because connecting the 'undesirables' to Islamophobia would have been more difficult than it was to link to anti-semitism, not because anti-semitism is treated more seriously.

Then you should open your loving eyes because as far as I'm aware David Baddiel, Stephen Pollard, Maureen Lipman, the Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis, President of the Board of Deputies Marie van der Zyl, Baroness Deech, Rachel Reeves & the masses of others who have spouted the most pure unadulterated bollocks about anti-semitism in the Labour are not members of the Labour MP. Lipman was but left because of Ed Miliband not being supportive enough of Israel, which I dunno, says something. Did you just erase the past 7 years from your memory? loving wish I could. Do you not remember the absolute hysteria when Jeremy Corbyn accepted an invite to a Passover Seder from THE WRONG KIND OF JEWS? The Board of Deputies proclaimed "If Jeremy Corbyn goes to their event, how can we take his stated commitment to be an ally against anti-Semitism seriously?" Even Baddiel managed to recognise the utter nonsense of that claim: making out "it's somehow anti-Semitic for [Corbyn] to spend Seder with [Jewdas] just because they're far left is balls".

"The UK's Chief Rabbi, Ephraim Mirvis, made an unprecedented intervention in politics, warning that antisemitism was a "poison sanctioned from the top" of the Labour Party, and saying that British Jews were gripped by anxiety about the prospect of a Corbyn-led government."

But sure, it was only weaponised in the party. There's not a wanking gesture gif large enough

I'm sorry if that seems aggro, I don't intend it to come across that way, I'm not having a go at you personally but the whole thing is just mentally exhausting, it destroyed the only time since the independence referendum failed that I have felt even a faint glimmer of hope & optimism in electoral politics. So I swear a lot. This is just how I talk. It's not you I'm mad at it's just everything. Being told you're anti-semitic because you oppose an Apartheid state having Apartheid policies gets deeply frustrating y'know?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 22, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No I mean literally, you look at pictures of him from 10, 15 years ago and he's hardly a model, but he looks like a normal person you'd reasonably expect to meet on the street. Now, he looks like his skull is literally enlarged on one side. His face looks lopsided to the point I wonder if he hasn't had a stroke or something.

He wouldn't be the first person to have a stroke or similar and then turn into a raging rear end in a top hat. Really, it would explain a lot if he has brain damage as to how he managed to derail his life so completely.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/22/bright-blue-founder-to-quit-over-tory-partys-betrayal-of-millennials

quote:

Ryan Shorthouse, 37, will leave the Cameronite thinktank he founded, Bright Blue, next year and told the Guardian he was deeply disillusioned with progress during the last 12 years under the Tories – saying Rishi Sunak had failed to reinvigorate Conservative vision or bring in fresh talent.

“The Tory government has failed my generation – millennials – who have come of age and entered the labour market under 12 years of Tory rule, with punishing housing and childcare costs – combined with stagnant wages – preventing the building blocks of what Conservatives believe make the good life,” Shorthouse said.

Leopards gonna eat my face
(talkin' bout my generation)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Then you should open your loving eyes because as far as I'm aware David Baddiel, Stephen Pollard, Maureen Lipman, the Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis, President of the Board of Deputies Marie van der Zyl, Baroness Deech, Rachel Reeves & the masses of others who have spouted the most pure unadulterated bollocks about anti-semitism in the Labour are not members of the Labour MP. Lipman was but left because of Ed Miliband not being supportive enough of Israel, which I dunno, says something. Did you just erase the past 7 years from your memory? loving wish I could. Do you not remember the absolute hysteria when Jeremy Corbyn accepted an invite to a Passover Seder from THE WRONG KIND OF JEWS? The Board of Deputies proclaimed "If Jeremy Corbyn goes to their event, how can we take his stated commitment to be an ally against anti-Semitism seriously?" Even Baddiel managed to recognise the utter nonsense of that claim: making out "it's somehow anti-Semitic for [Corbyn] to spend Seder with [Jewdas] just because they're far left is balls".

"The UK's Chief Rabbi, Ephraim Mirvis, made an unprecedented intervention in politics, warning that antisemitism was a "poison sanctioned from the top" of the Labour Party, and saying that British Jews were gripped by anxiety about the prospect of a Corbyn-led government."

But sure, it was only weaponised in the party. There's not a wanking gesture gif large enough

I'm sorry if that seems aggro, I don't intend it to come across that way, I'm not having a go at you personally but the whole thing is just mentally exhausting, it destroyed the only time since the independence referendum failed that I have felt even a faint glimmer of hope & optimism in electoral politics. So I swear a lot.

Yes its very aggro and I think your point is lost because of it. Or at least I can't discern what it is.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
The annoying thing re: anti-Semitism is that e.g. Baddiel and the Guardian who spend their time criticising the left for ignoring Jewish voices are doing the exact same thing, by disregarding any left-wing Jews who disagree. It very much feels like they're not opposed to the concept of "the wrong sort of Jew", they just think the left is applying that label to them and that doesn't vibe with them when the real "wrong Jews" are these bloody communist ones!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
What's also so incredibly disingenuous and annoying about these kinds of arguments is that criticism of Israel, which is often just assimilated directly to anti-Semitism by these people, is absolutely treated differently by centre and mildly left wing media--it's condemned or sanctioned in a way that basically no other kind of geopolitical speech is.

Far from being ignored, most institutions are now hypersensitive to accusations of anti-Semitism in a way that they aren't to many other kinds of ethnic or racial prejudice, to the point that the charge of anti-Semitism has lost most of its meaning. A good recent example of this is the cancellation of an award granted to Caryl Churchill because she supported BDS and wrote a play talking about how Israelis ignore or whitewash their treatment of Palestinians.

Basically, whenever I read an article about how "anti-Semitism is on the rise" or there was an "anti-Semitic incident," I have to actively read into it to figure out if it's actually anti-Semitic or just critical of Israel, and it's usually the latter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

It's frustrating because his argument I think has truth to it. Anti-Semitism is treated differently,

Uh, I mean, in the sense that if people come out with it I probably think they're an actual nazi rather than just a moron, but I don't think that's the point he's making.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just found out I'm eligible for a COVID booster :toot:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rarity posted:

Noice! Git on board the Titers Train (Max)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

:toot:

Hopefully you should be able to just walk in, they're desperate to get more people boosted.

ofc that also implies that uptake has fallen off a cliff, which is untoot

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes its very aggro and I think your point is lost because of it. Or at least I can't discern what it is.

The point is pretty clear, your claim that as far as you can see the weaponisation was mainly by the Labour right makes your eyesight seem bad. And then I listed a bunch of prominent Jewish individuals who engaged in the weaponisation of anti-semitism because they didn't like socialism or Corbyn's views on Israel/Palestine or who the gently caress knows why. I did that to backup my point. I even included a couple of notable examples of leading Jewish public figures doing exactly that.

And then I ranted a little because it all still makes me angry, and then I thought I should clarify it is not you that I'm mad at. Although your initial claim certainly is maddening in how detached from reality it was. I'm not apologising for being aggro, I stand by that, it's entirely reasonable to be hosed off at the first decent mainstream political project since the '83 Labour manifesto being sunk based in gaslighting nonsense that was taken as gospel despite standing up to gently caress all scrutiny.

Does that help? Because I read my post back & I'm not really sure what was hard to understand about it, but I hope this clears that up?

Rarity posted:

It gave me the runs. Like, really bad shits. Previous covid vaccines hadn't impacted me at all but this time I definitely had a lousy time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Basically, whenever I read an article about how "anti-Semitism is on the rise" or there was an "anti-Semitic incident," I have to actively read into it to figure out if it's actually anti-Semitic or just critical of Israel, and it's usually the latter.
Which again is something you have to be careful about in the wording - criticising the actions of the Israeli authorities in the west bank is seen as criticism of the existence of Israel as a state. Even when it's carefully worded like that, you have a bunch of people who will accuse it of being an antisemitic dogwhistle, even when the UN have literally said that the actions are against international law.

The whole situation is a loving mess and Baddiel needs to realise that putting himself front and centre is just making everything worse.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

ofc that also implies that uptake has fallen off a cliff, which is untoot

So I had my 5th the other week at the drop-in, and they were literally walking into the street to try and find people to come and get boosted. The lady doing mine said how they were struggling to find people who want to.

Compare to the last one, when the people in front of me in the queue were being turned away for not having a letter from the GP (at the time they weren't accepting letters from NHS England, you had to actually have one from the GP. Which didn't sound right, but the point is they were busy enough they felt they needed to turn away people that weren't on the GP's list, where I am).

So anecdata, but I think it has dropped off a lot. Checked in with my mum and she's had hers, (meanwhile my brother refuses, despite qualifying and being an ex-nurse)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If they're that desperate why are most of the country ineligible to get one

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

peanut- posted:

because covid is over, idiot

Seriously, though, it sounds like everyone should just go to a walk-in and get one, regardless of what the gov says

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

peanut- posted:

They're targeting older and immunocompromised people (of which I'm both, which is why I had a letter), but I'm guessing that in areas where there's lots of people living that are eligible but who aren't going in (definitely true, here) they have a lot of boosters sitting there... well, not going to waste, exactly. They probably don't throw them away. But when they're out there trying to help people that are vulnerable I can see them being a bit proactive.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looks like the local chapter of the SWP are trying to jump on the XR/Just Stop Oil bandwagon. I've torn down a few of their posters on my local high street, advertising some meeting or other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I could poo poo in the middle of the street and the local SWP would turn up and claim they were involved, although in that case I suppose at least their papers would be useful.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Baddiel's entire 'hierarchy of racism' is just him geting mad people bring up his own history of racism, which he is only capable of interpreting as a kind of game of top trumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It comes off about as tone deaf as Chappelle's recent 'Hollywood Jews' bit but instead of the veneer of "it's offensive comedy bro, u offended?" it's just straight faced "blacks have it easy on the hierarchy of racism, please subscribe to my lovely newsletter."

Maybe he should do it as a monologue Live at the Apollo instead, throw in some ablist noises, go hog wild.