Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nice, thank you!

If you removed it, you should also re-add a regular signal to the last lane, otherwise a train sitting there will stop any other trains from entering the whole thing. Personally, I'd add it at the same height as the others for visual clarity and future flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wowie this game is overwhelming but goddamn if it doesnt feel good

only took me 2 and a half hours to beat the car tutorial :downs:

i really need to learn the mechanics of figuring out how to get two resources on a single belt and how to get grabbers to drop and pick things up where i want

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

verbal enema posted:

i really need to learn the mechanics of figuring out how to get two resources on a single belt and how to get grabbers to drop and pick things up where i want

As much as I love the game the tutorial felt kind of disjointed and confusing. The real game has a more natural flow, and has good tips that unlock as you tech up, so I got way more out of that than I did the actual demo/tutorial. You'll probably still spend a lot of time on the wiki and youtube but the tips should cover the basics.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The game has an in-game tutorial for like two years now that is amazingly good. Just click every tip as soon as it pops up at the bottom left.

Mixing a belt is easy. In a line from left to right, place a belt facing right, down, left. Orientation doesn't matter, I've just given you one to help you understand it.
Inserters will always and only put things down on the far side of a belt. On occasion it can be a good idea to use this in building - for example, to put red and green science on the same belt.
There's an option in interface options to make inserters show where they will pick up from and put down at when alt mode is on, which can be useful.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 21, 2022

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I feel the best way to up the challenge is play multiplayer, never talk to each other about what you are doing, don't even nesseciarly log in at the same time, but agree beforehand that you can only move things long distances via trains and not belts.

Then everything will be extremely chaotic and you will be constantly dodging badly programmed trains on chaotic train networks.

multiplayer like this is extremely good, it's important to go out of your way to patch problems in ridiculous ways so that when your buddy shows up to debug something else they're baffled.

We had one wood power pole that happened to be the single point of failure that cut our base into halves and was also easy to drive cars over. We ended up fortifying it and building musical shrines around it and building lit roads to ensure driving past it was safe, instead of fixing it. It became very important to NOT remove the point of failure.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

verbal enema posted:

wowie this game is overwhelming but goddamn if it doesnt feel good

only took me 2 and a half hours to beat the car tutorial :downs:

Without mods, an inserter will always place on the side of the belt farther from it. If the inserter is placed such that the left side and right side are equally distant, it'll place on the right side of the belt.

To get two resources on a single belt, you can make use of that inserter behavior, or you can merge two belts without using splitters by just running them into each other. A belt that goes straight into another belt will dump all its resources on that one side of the belt.

An easy way to do it is to make a T-split: make an empty belt, and have your two resource belts come into it from different sides, which'll put each input into the lane on the side it comes in on. Here's an example, though with a single resource.

If you use a splitter to divide one belt into two, both output belts will maintain the lane positions from the input belts, so once you've got your belts put together the way you want them it's easy to maintain the split:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Also note that for almost every interaction you can have with a regular belt, you can do it with splitters and undergrounds too. There are some notable exceptions: side-loading into an underground belt will only take one lane (if the underground is going west to east and the regular belt is going south to north, teeing the regular belt into the input side of the underground will load the left lane of the regular belt, and teeing it into the output of the underground will only load the right lane). You can use inserters on any underground belt from any direction, and on splitters in most orientations although a few cases can act weird.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

LonsomeSon posted:

My approach to this was to completely surround the rocket silo with requester chests fed by inserters which were wired to the silo, allowing them to read the cargo rocket's contents. Launch for the silo was controlled by logic conditions, which required both the loading array to be showing all of the inserters for specific products as inactive and to have received a request signal from the orbital platform. Fortunately I didn't rely on rocket deliveries for terribly long, though.

I wound up with several hundred orbital launch cargo railguns controlled by input from the orbital logic network being the actual bridge between my platform and various other surfaces, including providing flamethrower turret fuel for defenses on particularly-gnarly worlds and then shipping empty barrels back to be refilled. At least as of a few years ago it really felt like the launch cannons were the intended way to handle mass material movement from ground into orbit.

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah I assume that's what the buildable and automatable spacecraft would wind up being for. Having posted about it so much recently is making me consider trying to just step back into that enormous multiplanetary factory and try to keep climbing the tech tree from there.

Everything except fluids and raw-material deliveries to initial processing stages is handled by bots, it should theoretically be possible to just lay out a new platform section and start building new poo poo there, without having to work out the method everything else runs on...

This used to be true but the most recent big update added a space elevator which provides surface to orbit train links so you can use trains to automate it now. It's a little janky because trains can't auto pathfind, you have to add an "up station" manually, so it doesn't play nice with LTN/TSM, but it really eases the headache. It feels really silly to use cannons like that lol and now you don't have to, at least for single surface to orbit logistics

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Never played any particular save for more than 30-40 hours, so this complete Nullius playthrough was a hell of a trip at over 400 hours (that's with lots of durdling). Strong recommend to anyone looking for a big complex total conversion mod along the lines of Py or SE, or if you like colored ground tiles :v:.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Phobeste posted:

This used to be true but the most recent big update added a space elevator which provides surface to orbit train links so you can use trains to automate it now. It's a little janky because trains can't auto pathfind, you have to add an "up station" manually, so it doesn't play nice with LTN/TSM, but it really eases the headache. It feels really silly to use cannons like that lol and now you don't have to, at least for single surface to orbit logistics

I believe there is a new standalone mod that let's LTN work with space elevators. I haven't tried it out yet as I just finished my material science 2 layout.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ok any like not too gamey tips for a newbie?

is it normal to have every line backed up? I'm making green research bottles and oh my god i just want to drive my car but this is getting INTENSELY confusing. maybe im making TOO much of stuff

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There is no such thing as too much (unless you're using all your iron on thousands of pieces of armor or something). A line being backed up is only a problem if something downstream is bottlenecked. A full belt is a happy belt.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
You cannot make too much, you can only consume too little.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Having lines backed up is totally fine as long as everything that's consuming that product is fully-fed. If anything downstream is starved for goods but those goods are backing up at the source, you have a bottleneck to fix.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
And that's really the whole game loop. Find something that's backed up and make it not back up any more, then find something that's starving and feed it more of what it needs. :)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KillHour posted:

A full belt is a happy belt.

This alone is probably the most helpful thing to read, ever. If you don't have a full belt, something is almost certainly wrong.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
guess i just gotta work on my logistics then

if i can even get to half the cool poo poo the main menu shows then i'll be happy

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KillHour posted:

A full belt is a happy belt.

New thread title pls?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

jokes posted:

This alone is probably the most helpful thing to read, ever. If you don't have a full belt, something is almost certainly wrong.

There are many things that you shouldn't be trying to make a full belt of anytime soon. A full yellow belt of Blue chips? That's too much until you're well past your first dozen rockets.

Four full red belts of plate? Totally normal. If things are flowing properly you'll be tapping off of this and by the end you've got only 1 belt worth left.

I made a relevant mistake in my first SpaceEX playthrough: I tried to start scaling to train fed after Chemical Science. Combined with how I always use warehousing I kneecapped myself because I had the infinite hungry maw plus warehouse buffers in my train network capable of holding 200,000 chips and since I didn't restrict the capacity I ended up with a mega ase sized stockpile of science bottles and red chips while struggling to make progress on rocket parts.

"I'll need this eventually I'll just let it fill up" goes from a 20 minute problem to a 8 hour problem when you step down from megabase scale production to midgane.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thing about sweeping platitudes is that they're never totally correct. But to a new player, just getting more of everything and filling belts up is probably the most valuable thing you can do, and if you're not filling up a belt with copper wire or something, then you're loving up.

By the time you're loving with blue chips you're on some other poo poo and things get way more macro-oriented. Don't you get drones by that point?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If your red and green science are backing up while researching, you have too few labs and should build more. If the ingredients for science are backing up but red and green aren't, you have too few assemblers making one those. If your plates are backing up but your intermediates aren't, you have too few assemblers for those. If your ore is backing up but your plates aren't, you have too few smelters. If your ore isn't backing up, you have too few miners. If your ore belts are full and moving continuously but output is still too little, you need more or faster belts of ore and more or faster lanes of smelters, etc.

Fairly early on you should have your entire iron patch blanketed in electric miners, and enough of your coal patch to make sure at least one lane stays backed up (otherwise you might run out and lose power). Copper and stone are pretty limited early on, build those as it seems like you need them.

Factorio is a game about automation & scaling. There are two basic rules : automate everything and scale up. Build an assembler for EVERYTHING. You can limit output either with the X in your output chest (for things going into a chest, which early game just means everything you build with) or using circuits. Learn how to use circuits to limit output, it's very easy to just red or green wire an inserter to a chest and tell it to only take things out of the assembler if (icon of the item the assembler is making) is < (some number that seems to makes sense, like maybe 400 for belts or 2 for locomotives early on). This will help you to control how much of your resources winds up as things that aren't being immediately used. If you don't want to take the minimal amount of time to learn how to use circuits, 4 chest slots for belts, 1 chest slot for everything else is a workable (if a bit limiting) way to start.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jokes posted:

Thing about sweeping platitudes is that they're never totally correct. But to a new player, just getting more of everything and filling belts up is probably the most valuable thing you can do, and if you're not filling up a belt with copper wire or something, then you're loving up.

By the time you're loving with blue chips you're on some other poo poo and things get way more macro-oriented. Don't you get drones by that point?

My thought is finding out about this stuff is the game. Advanced players are drawn to incredibly complicated mods because they want to be surprised like they were when they were new. "I should make everything a full belt" is a great mindset for a a beginner to have because it will both help them now and cause problems later that they will then have the tools and experience to solve, which is fun.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah it really all starts with having the resources to expand the factory available and convenient. If you're building all your belts and inserters by hoovering the green science input belt that's going to limit you greatly. IMO there's 3 main things you need to figure out (and I mean figure out on your own, don't just look it up, this will teach you a lot) to get on the path to playing effectively:

1) A primary method of moving resources around. For most people this ends up being a main bus but it doesn't have to be. You could spaghetti/beeline for bots and use those, or use a lot of trains, or a combination of methods. You might end up using a main bus in the long term but experiment with this for a while and maybe you figure out some other things in the process. Key part here is just having a way to get resources to consumers in a consistent way, rather than reinventing the wheel for each build.

2) A way to build the factory. This is not just the mall or whatever you use to have buildings at hand, but can also include logistics bots to just keep yourself supplied, construction bots and blueprints to do it for you, and even just ways to get around the factory faster without having to squeeze through mazes of pipes and machines. (But it also includes the mall.) This will be very influenced by whatever solution you use for #1; if you use a main bus then you could just skip a set of belts to make a walking path, or if you're bot-based then it can all be a dense mishmash of machinery that you entirely interact with through the map screen and never step foot inside the actual factory. Space is infinite, use it. Having a general idea of how you want to compartmentalize individual builds can help you use the space you have effectively, especially if you're playing on harder biter settings where space isn't free.

3) I don't have a good terminology for this but you don't want to tear anything down until you absolutely need to. Mines might be the only exception, no point in a depleted patch taking up space, but as long as something is being productive there are almost no reasons to ever remove it. Upgrading-in-place is different - you're improving the existing build rather than replacing it - but that yellow belt assembler you set up in the first 15 minutes fed from burner miners is fine to keep up until the ore runs out. If it's not meeting your needs, you don't necessarily need to rebuild it from scratch, just add more. If you have a general plan for #1 and #2, this shouldn't be hard to do.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I replayed the tutorials not too long ago since I saw a streamer spend 3 hrs on the train one and was curious if I could speed through it due to knowing the game better. It still took like 3 hrs. I think the tutorial was made from an old version or something, since they have weird tech constraints, like forcing you to use burner drills which are less efficient and way more complicated to set up compared to the electric ones you have access to right away in the main game. I think they also made you use yellow loaders, so each assembler needs multiple of them to feed it while it normally doesn’t take that long to get to the much faster blue ones. Trying to keep the distant mining drills alive is also way harder with gun turrets than the lasers as well. You also unlock the ability to change terrain in the main game, so you don’t get as stuck building around cliffs, rocks and water so much.

Some little ui stuff to know is you can press ALT to have your assemblers show what they’re making. The train grid is more rigid than the building one, so you can click the end of a piece of track to build off of it, then hold ctrl or shift (one routes around obstacles, the other doesn’t) to open up the planner to make sure they line up. You may need to take a close look at it if the train stops since sometimes the track can look linked but really isn’t. Z let’s you drop stuff in the game world and you can click drop coal or whatever directly on the building using it from the game world view without opening the menu and F lets you pick it up if you’re grabbing material from a conveyor belt. Otherwise, the games pretty flexible and you can always build a new base off of your old one. I stripped down my old base and turned the entire area into one that only makes green circuits to help supply my new factory.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Xerol posted:

3) I don't have a good terminology for this but you don't want to tear anything down until you absolutely need to.

Abandon in place?

Also, for the full belt thing - a full, moving belt is best. If it’s backed up, it’s unnecessary buffer. Add additional downstream assemblers.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

verbal enema posted:

is it normal to have every line backed up? I'm making green research bottles and oh my god i just want to drive my car but this is getting INTENSELY confusing. maybe im making TOO much of stuff

Build however much you need. If you want science to go faster, build more science production. If you're happy with the current pace of science production, go do something else. If your lines are backed up, then that means you're producing more of those items than you're consuming, which means you can build more things that consume those items. If you want to, anyway! You don't have to! For optimum efficiency, it's usually possible to calculate out exactly how much of each ingredient you need to supply for a given recipe, and there's websites and mods that can do this for you, but it's largely optional. It's all down to how much you want to hammer on efficiency; there's nothing really wrong with having more ingredient production than you need, or even really having less ingredient production than you need (it just means you'll produce that item slower).

One of the strongest points of this game is the flexibility it offers: you don't really NEED to do anything. It's a sandbox which offers some vague goals for you to work toward. If you've got biters turned on, then you need to be able to produce enough ammo, power, and walls to defend your base, proportionate to how much you've expanded and how much pollution you've spread. Aside from that, you can do pretty much whatever you want*. If you want to hand-craft everything that doesn't use oil products, go ahead. If you want to use assemblers for literally everything and avoid hand-crafting whenever possible, go ahead - there's an achievement for that, even!

Of course, if you increase your science production, you might find that you need more of the intermediate ingredients that go into science packs. So you might need to increase production of those ingredients. Which in turn might increase consumption of earlier ingredients, and so on, until you find yourself needing to bring in more copper or iron or something. Or you could just leave it be and accept having science production at less than its maximum potential speed for a while. Nothing's going to break down or blow up.

*Mods can introduce extra constraints and requirements, of course

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My one tip that I often give new players is if you are expanding your production, like for example maybe to build a new science type or to bring up a new line of outputs like bots, to build the inputs for it at the same time. That is, don't go mining and smelting tons of material you don't have a use for, and similarly when embarking on something new don't leech all the raw materials and circuits from whatever you have going. Try to keep a healthy balance. GLHF.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

verbal enema posted:

The Factory must expand, in order to meet the needs of the Expanding Factory.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My one tip that I often give new players is if you are expanding your production, like for example maybe to build a new science type or to bring up a new line of outputs like bots, to build the inputs for it at the same time. That is, don't go mining and smelting tons of material you don't have a use for, and similarly when embarking on something new don't leech all the raw materials and circuits from whatever you have going. Try to keep a healthy balance. GLHF.

I think wrapping your head around the concept of an omnibus-style layout is hugely helpful for expediting everything until you get into Mega Mode, where you have trains dump 50,000 iron ore onto blue belts loaded and unloaded by fast stack inserters each second, or whatever.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I finally decided to give Wave Defense a try.

It's fun. It took me a few tries, but I eventually beat it.

You really need to be on top of things the first few days. Once you get up flame turrets and set up roboports, you can relax a little (for a bit).

I launched a rocket on Day 81 or so because I was styling on the biters and adding brick floors everywhere, but then I decided to load before the launch and to try to make it to Day 200 to make a really nice base, but it turns out the biters never stop scaling. Flame turrets kept blowing up my bots, and the biters were spawning with some 9000 health. I had laser upgrades up to like 45, but it still wasn't enough.

It turns out the map is an island though, so I could wipe out the biters completely, but by Day 180, they had already started pouring into my base and even brought my silo down to half health. And with my bots almost all destroyed, there was no way to survive another night. I thought I could keep just one base alive, but if there are any bases at all, it spawns the maximum number of biters anyway. So I finished wiping them out, and launched a rocket on Day 180.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Also, I made a Discord server for coordinating if people wanted to play together sometime: https://discord.gg/UpxkNyAK9P It's fun to play with other people.
I was thinking about trying Space Exploration if someone wanted to try that together.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Next time I start a fresh game, I need to ban myself from using trains with just one cargo car

It is a power - and a curse - too great for me

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Glad to see someone else discovering the same design style I use.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm planning my first megabase. My goal is 1k spm.

I know beacons are really important for this, because they really cut down on the number of buildings you need. I've never really used beacons though! So: any tips for how to design with beacons in mind?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Solumin posted:

I know beacons are really important for this, because they really cut down on the number of buildings you need. I've never really used beacons though! So: any tips for how to design with beacons in mind?

Density Density Density. Use logistics or belt weaving to optimize your I/O footprint. Maximize the number of assemblers each beacon touches, and try to get 4-6+ beacons hitting each assembler.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Solumin posted:

You don't actually *need* to beacon for a megabase, it just makes it smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCaGJ32pUDU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Smaller and hopefully more UPS efficient so your computer doesn't start dying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A good baseline is that if you have a row of assemblers, you can build a row of beacons two spaces away, offset slightly so that each beacon touches four assemblers. That gives you 8 beacons on each assembler, and if you chain these production lines next to each other, each beacon hits 8 assemblers. Very efficient. The catch is that you only have room for one input belt and one output belt, so you'll have some fun logistical challenges getting everything in and out, especially since the whole point of those beacons is to make your assemblers run really fast and chew through an awful lot of raw material.

Boringly, the best solution to those challenges is to just slap down some logistic chests - bots are by far the easiest way to funnel a large amount of resources into a very tiny area.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
This may be a very unpopular opinion, but I wish they'd never put beacons in the game. They are ugly and ruin the 'feel' of a base for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

kanonvandekempen posted:

This may be a very unpopular opinion, but I wish they'd never put beacons in the game. They are ugly and ruin the 'feel' of a base for me.

It’s not that unpopular. One of the big mods (Space Exploration, iirc?) reworks beacons for basically this reason: the author finds them ugly and boring.