Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

evilmiera posted:

No this will be post-Putin shock therapy which as we all know would be quite different. It's got a U in it and everything.

youre incredibly stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/GazpromEN/status/1595045386917388290?s=20&t=9rD9GPrt-gcwQbPbb8BpDQ

so russia is gonna start cutting gas to moldova in Nov 28 unless ukraine stop siphoning it off

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Comrade Koba posted:

loving lmao that they brought out two loving Blackhawks for this and had teams of ~elite operators~ rappel down into a garden to arrest two middle-aged homeowners. what did they do, serve up a meal for their guests?

Special Forces units are always trying to justify their existence, expense and elite (or “elite”) status.

RCMP ERT was asleep at the wheel when Turkish diplomats were killed in Ottawa and the Residence stormed and when the FLQ kidnapped the British Trade Commissioner and Provincial Labour Minister, so now they deploy full teams including snipers and EOD to Indigenous pipeline protests.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

euphronius posted:

yes but people made up a bunch of maximalist war aims to show how Russia was losing almost instantly

lol yea exactly.

by "demilitarizing" i took it to mean a ukraine that wouldn't join NATO

and "denazifying" was to put some moral spin on their goals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this thread has gone over it 30 times on denazification. There is evidence Russia did and there is evidence russia did not. it is up to you and how you interpret and infer. Its not black or white imho.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1595047293484507138

lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/NPasamoot/status/1595039592935489536

please stop posting, it makes Ukrainian soldiers look bad

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1592906665728229378

the Russians left behind a nicely organized list of people for Ukraine to murder, very polite of them

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/INTobservers/status/1594999817670991873

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol if russia leaves them to die again. And by lol I mean evil.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/jaimi85012502/status/1593326794320420864

:whitewater:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ethnic cleansing is cool. #blm

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1594760417997623298?s=19

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

yeah this poo poo is wild

edit: loving lol, i just realized this is 100% what they'll use to memoryhole anything to do with the pipeline

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

euphronius posted:

this thread has gone over it 30 times on denazification. There is evidence Russia did and there is evidence russia did not. it is up to you and how you interpret and infer. Its not black or white imho.

hmm?

i wasn't really commenting on whether or not russia has been killing a lot of soldiers with various amounts of swastikas tattooed on them, i meant that "denazification" is more of a vague goal that can be announced as achieved when it suits them. a neutral ukraine that isn't part of NATO is their number 1 goal imo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
efb

Comrade Koba posted:

yeah this poo poo is wild

portraying russia in a negative light hurts sweden's relations with russia, wonder if that also counts as a crime :iiam:

this is why they won't publish the clear evidence of russia bombing their own pipeline!!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
so sweden did the pipeline? who had sweden? i remember somebody had sweden

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
https://twitter.com/OsintTv/status/1595009335494856706

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

hmm?

i wasn't really commenting on whether or not russia has been killing a lot of soldiers with various amounts of swastikas tattooed on them, i meant that "denazification" is more of a vague goal that can be announced as achieved when it suits them. a neutral ukraine that isn't part of NATO is their number 1 goal imo.

yes 👍

we have consensus

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

lol if russia leaves them to die again. And by lol I mean evil.

At a certain point political objectives and military ones being incompatible will cause a rift because doing things like this undermines what armies are for. First in the practical sense that if you’re not using them to control or even contest terrain why have them in the field, and second in the moral/morale sense that if you’re not going to fight for people what are you fighting for?

It’s no good being kept out of the fighting. Canada was the only Commonwealth country kept out of the North Africa Campaign because that idiot King wanted to keep casualties low, so as to avoid another Conscription Crisis and not upset Quebec. In a lot of ways that mirrors what’s going on here, actually.

Well, all that did was delay the lessons learned in battle until Sicily. Moreover, the Army, aware it was being kept out of combat while the RCN and RCAF earned laurels, had a weakened position in the inter-service rivalry and distribution of resources. At the fighting level, these years were a low point marked by three years of endless exercises on the Salisbury Plain, which damaged morale and fighting effectiveness, becoming routine rather than valuable training. Bored soldiers are the most dangerous to themselves and others and the Provosts were kept busy as Red Caps had to deal with trouble in the camps and garrisons, and venereal disease further sapped the strength of the Army.

The last point militarily is that it also led to the Army sent to Northwest Europe lacking sufficient infantry replacements, because by avoiding North Africa, Canada had not been exposed to the reality of brigades being lost in an afternoon, as the South Africans had at Sidi Rezegh. South Africa also had to avoid conscription, and therefore casualties, for political reasons but they learned early on there were limits to this. It’s why they, like the Poles, fielded only an Armoured Division in 1944, and fought cautiously, though bravely. Canadians fought with their usual drive, absorbed large casualties and in the end had to conscript anyways.

Diplomatically, this timidity for obvious political calculations hurt our relationship with the Commonwealth, weakened Canada’s position among the Western Allies, who previously held us in high regard for being the shock troops of the Western Front, and reduced our ability to guide the coalition. Making up for this put us in a difficult position, and led to politicians eagerly taking on a difficult sector in Italy, our own beach in Normandy and the Hard Left Flank in NW Europe, once again creating the very casualties the harebrained scheme was meant to prevent.

Finally, it led to deeper resentment of French Canada, ironically creating the very result it was meant to avoid. When Conscription finally came in late 1944, and Quebec bitched, moaned and avoided doing their part there was marked hostility from English Canada.

If the Russian Army has to come to grips with the Ukrainians and win the war on the battlefield, they’ll ultimately suffer more casualties than if their politicians had an ounce of backbone from the onset, when they could have rolled over the Ukrainians in two weeks and nearly did before stalling out. The Russian public isn’t going to appreciate that this was all avoidable and won’t be grateful that mobilization was deferred when it happens anyways.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia's invasion has unleashed a whirlwind against the Russian speaking population who are blamed in place of fleeing Russian soldiers!

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Hey everyone, I'm back. Who's winning the war?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

this is a result of that thing where it was revealed that Swedes don't feed their guests which has destroyed them internationally

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al Jazeera posted:

Ukraine’s security service and police raided a 1,000-year-old Orthodox Christian monastery in Kyiv to counter suspected “subversive activities by Russian special services”, the SBU said.

“These measures are being taken … as part of the systemic work of the SBU to counter the destructive activities of Russian special services in Ukraine,” the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said in a statement.

It said the search was aimed at preventing the use of the cave monastery as “the centre of the Russian world” and carried out to look into suspicions “about the use of the premises … for sheltering sabotage and reconnaissance groups, foreign citizens, weapons storage”.

The SBU did not say what the result of the raid was.

The Kyiv Pechersk Lavra complex that was raided is a Ukrainian cultural treasure and the headquarters of the Russian-backed wing of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church known as the Moscow Patriarchate.

But, in May, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate ended its ties with the Russian church over the invasion.

[...]

The Russian Orthodox Church said that searches conducted by Ukrainian security services at an Orthodox monastery in Kyiv were an “act of intimidation.”

“Like many other cases of persecution of believers in Ukraine since 2014, this act of intimidation of believers is almost certain to go unnoticed by those who call themselves the international human rights community,” Vladimir Legoida, a spokesman for the Church, said.

Ukraine said it carried out the searches at the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra complex as part of counter-intelligence measures and that they were conducted within the law.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Swedish eyes are starting to see dancing visions of Gustav Aldophus; not good for northern Germany!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Red and Black posted:

Lockheed Martin.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

absolutely owns that you can just call up international world leaders and be “yo dog, what do you think about this recent outrage” and not only will they not hang up they’ll have a chat and tell you exactly what they’re thinking, more than their own cabinet probably knows

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Frosted Flake posted:

Not that it absolves the planning. If you’re trying to pull off a coup de grace, it seems reasonable to always go in with a force bigger than you think you have to. That was a major difference between intervention in Hungary, where the first force was too small and bogged down in bloody fighting and Czechoslovakia which went off without a hitch and hardly a shot fired.

Yeah, Civ 4 taught me that if you invade another Civ half-assed, without building a big enough attacking force and shifting all your cities over to producing military units then your invasion will simply stall out, the enemy Civ will chip away at your doom stack until it becomes ineffective and then they'll counter-invade with a bigger, better doom stack of their own.

Putin's obviously never played Civ 4 is what I'm saying.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Jel Shaker posted:

absolutely owns that you can just call up international world leaders and be “yo dog, what do you think about this recent outrage” and not only will they not hang up they’ll have a chat and tell you exactly what they’re thinking, more than their own cabinet probably knows

the apparent social isolation of these international leaders is astounding.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Red and Black posted:

Maybe China or India?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al Jazeera posted:

The head of Ukraine’s national power grid operator says the damage to Ukrainian power-generating facilities by Russian missile attacks is “colossal”.

Volodymyr Kudrytskyi, chief executive officer of Ukrenergo, told a briefing that his company wanted to help provide the conditions for Ukrainians to stay in the country through winter and described calls to evacuate as “inappropriate”.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ground breaking osint from bellingcat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, Civ 4 taught me that if you invade another Civ half-assed, without building a big enough attacking force and shifting all your cities over to producing military units then your invasion will simply stall out, the enemy Civ will chip away at your doom stack until it becomes ineffective and then they'll counter-invade with a bigger, better doom stack of their own.

this is extremely correct

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

If there was that sort of consensus, then why not mobilize and do it properly with 700k men in two Combined and one Tank Armies, and drive deep to Lvov and Kiev from the onset?

The divide is that the Russian government is a bunch of neo liberals like every other European nation.

They thought they could just keep things business as usual while Ukraine fights a little war on its own.

Nobody really expected the kinds of escalations that happened.

Like you said, the forces that were unleashed on both sides aren't something the rulling class wants but they are forced to keep taking one step after another on this path and nobody knows where we'll end up.

Edit: Follow up. Putin is described as a Russian nationalist in the sense is that he is willing to organize and bend the Russian rulling class to follow the interests of Russia and the rulling class. Dealing with the west is fine, as long as Russia comes first. Pro western politicians like Navalny are allowed to exist, but they're not allowed to undermine Russia's interests with impunity.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Nov 22, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Another nazis dies peacefully at home, sad.

Edit: Ok, I am making a lot of assumptions here, maybe he wasn't political like his batko.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Another nazis dies peacefully at home, sad.

Edit: Ok, I am making a lot of assumptions here, maybe he wasn't political like his batko.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurii_Shukhevych nope, nazi

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is extremely correct

That feeling of despair when you're down to a few badly damaged attacking units and then the enemy rush-builds a fresh unit of Archers :(

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

i think putin played civ 5 where you can just mass artillery pieces and continually blow up the enemy infantry until they agree to pay you as part of the peace summit

then you just declare war again 30 turns later

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1595000660101337088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Iirc, the way that Ukraine was approaching the advance into Crimea meant that they would essentially outflank and make useless a bunch of Russian prepared defenses. Still strange that they'd pull out without a fight.