Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barreft posted:

5 star Tera raids are lvl 75 mons. No idea what 7 star ones are like, never found anything past 5 so far

6-star raids are level 90 and unlocked by doing a bunch of successful 5-stars.

7-stars I believe are event-exclusive and the first one is the Charizard raids this weekend so no one has any idea yet.

6-star raids are loving hard. My success rate when doing them with randos is like 30%. Doesn't help that people will do things like bring Koraidon against a ground type, loving my Iron Bundle's terastab Hydro Pumps with its stupid sunshine. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean, there's a huge difference between being able to find someone to trade you version exclusives/swap trade evolves and having to start your game over twice, trading your starter pokemon to another account and then getting them back, and THEN trading version exclusives/trade evolves. In reality the sheer number of pokemon in this game means it was going to involve some pretty sweaty poop socking regardless but red/blue completion was a pretty chill, if relatively time intensive.
You're right that it's a pretty intensive affair, but you realize anyone can breed their starter with a ditto and have infinite eggs so they'll be happy to give them away, right? You don't have to do all that complicated swapping to other accounts- just find someone who started with a different starter.

I'm kind of confused as to why you think it was more chill in Red and Blue. The starter situation was way worse since there was no breeding. You did have to find someone to reset their game a bunch of times to get the other starters back then. You couldn't even find people who beat the game since getting a Charizard didn't give you access to a Charmander, it basically had to be someone giving away their fresh starter at the start of the game. Twice.

Unless I'm forgetting something you could never get all the starter pokemon in one playthrough in any mainline game outside of Pokemon Yellow, though at least with breeding after Gen 2 you could find people willing to part with eggs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely confirming desynching in raids. The health bar on the screen was in the green, the bar when you select an attack was yellow, and the raid pokemon fainted with HP remaining.

Also lmao I tried to be sneaky and get into a Team Star base without entering the gate by coming in from behind, and I got called out and told to go to the front gate anyway. These lawless brats have rules, dammit. :argh:

Also also this game absolutely sucks older Switch batteries dry so fast. My girlfriend, who plays exclusively handheld, was complaining about how fast hers drained, then I showed her how my battery was lower than hers after playing handheld for about half as long. She's got the newer version with the better battery lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eiba posted:

You're right that it's a pretty intensive affair, but you realize anyone can breed their starter with a ditto and have infinite eggs so they'll be happy to give them away, right? You don't have to do all that complicated swapping to other accounts- just find someone who started with a different starter.

I'm kind of confused as to why you think it was more chill in Red and Blue. The starter situation was way worse since there was no breeding. You did have to find someone to reset their game a bunch of times to get the other starters back then. You couldn't even find people who beat the game since getting a Charizard didn't give you access to a Charmander, it basically had to be someone giving away their fresh starter at the start of the game. Twice.

Unless I'm forgetting something you could never get all the starter pokemon in one playthrough in any mainline game outside of Pokemon Yellow, though at least with breeding after Gen 2 you could find people willing to part with eggs.

You could in X/Y if you got lucky with Friend Safaris. I think that's it though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So on Tera raids, is it possible for the Pokémon to break out of the ball like they could in the Dynamax raids or is it a guaranteed catch?

Also when do harder raids start appearing? All I’ve been getting are 1 and occasionally 2 star rated ones so far

Framboise posted:

Also also this game absolutely sucks older Switch batteries dry so fast. My girlfriend, who plays exclusively handheld, was complaining about how fast hers drained, then I showed her how my battery was lower than hers after playing handheld for about half as long. She's got the newer version with the better battery lol

Oh good so it’s not just me then, if you get a new Switch you can transfer everything over just by logging into your profile right?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 22, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Red/Blue Pokedex completion was the worst*. Never mind that I didn't have any friends with the games back then, so I had to save my allowance to buy Blue version and a link cable (I had a Game Boy Pocket and a Game Boy Color at that point) and do it myself. That and the grind was just miserable. You really appreciate the QoL upgrades in these later games, hahah. Raids just fork over EXP candy and makes evolving Pokemon very, very easy.

*I'm aware that Pokedex completion in Gen 4 was worse. Never even attempted that one, and never attempted again until Sword and Shield, where Dexit actually made completion a reasonable task.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, but in R/B the item duplication glitch was pretty widespread knowledge. Being able to dupe rare candies and vitamins made training a complete breeze compared to literally any other game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
As much as little kid me loved playing with the glitches, little kid me hated cheating.

Glad I grew out of that one!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Larryb posted:

So on Tera raids, is it possible for the Pokémon to break out of the ball like they could in the Dynamax raids or is it a guaranteed catch?

Also when do harder raids start appearing? All I’ve been getting are 1 and occasionally 2 star rated ones so far

I haven't seen a single failed catch in something like ~40 raids so far. If it's possible it's really rare.

Harder raids unlock based on story progression.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, but in R/B the item duplication glitch was pretty widespread knowledge. Being able to dupe rare candies and vitamins made training a complete breeze compared to literally any other game.
To be honest, grinding the raids in Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet are basically as easy as abusing MissingNo.'s bounty. Not as easy to get to level 100, but you easily get more than enough to just get pokemon to evolve. And it doesn't gently caress up your hall of fame.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
But if you get level 100 Mewtwo you can move the truck near the SS Anne and get Mew

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

UP AND ADAM posted:

But if you get level 100 Mewtwo you can move the truck near the SS Anne and get Mew

:hmmyes:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean, there's a huge difference between being able to find someone to trade you version exclusives/swap trade evolves and having to start your game over twice, trading your starter pokemon to another account and then getting them back, and THEN trading version exclusives/trade evolves. In reality the sheer number of pokemon in this game means it was going to involve some pretty sweaty poop socking regardless but red/blue completion was a pretty chill, if relatively time intensive.

This reminds me that I accidentally erased my brother's Red save way back in the day because I didn't understand that starting a new game and saving-before-trading would erase the only save on the cart, so I wiped his entire game to get extra starters from his cart to mine. He didn't know why it happened and I couldn't bring myself to tell him. I should tell him now.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just caught two shinies back to back - saw a Tarantoula and nabbed it, jumped off a cliff, immediately saw a Magikarp. Not complaining too much as red Gyarados is a classic but this is my third shiny Magikarp across HGSS, LA, and now SV.

Also Spidops is a weird looking dude

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The starter swapping in Gen 1 was the easy part! Don't forget that you'd still have to grind out Eeveelutions and the fossils, both of which took hours of gameplay.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Finished last night and I'm planning on dropping my review bomb soon. Are spoilers still required at this point? Asking so I can make edits in advance. I'm going to the separate it into three parts; The bad, the good and the weird.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
People would probably want plot spoilers, yes. I don't think anyone cares about new mon or mechanic spoilers at this point.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Lmao I have fifteen million classes to make up after I remembered the school existed after the seventh gym

also lmao at the director asking me what "cheugy" meant

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

woke kaczynski posted:

Lmao I have fifteen million classes to make up after I remembered the school existed after the seventh gym

Yeah same I'll probably just not bother because they're really boring

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

woke kaczynski posted:

I had to look it up :smith:.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The cheugy thing is funny because it tells me EXACTLY when this game was localized, because that word was everywhere for like 2 months and it's already an antiquated word that no one says anymore.

Get with the times, Game Freak!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The noise Smoliv makes sounds like the noise my cat makes before she vomits, so when I walk by a group of them and they’re all making noise it makes me think a cat is vomiting. Good times! Thankfully they’re cute mons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Can you get Own Tempo Rockruff in the game? I caught a shiny one but it was one of its normal abilities and I dunno if they ever implemented a way to get Own Tempo from that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Framboise posted:

The cheugy thing is funny because it tells me EXACTLY when this game was localized, because that word was everywhere for like 2 months and it's already an antiquated word that no one says anymore.

I actually think this makes it better because it captures the futility of keeping up with slang as a man who still thinks pompadour haircuts are a thing the youths do

All the academy writing is surprisingly strong for a Pokémon game. It’s nothing revolutionary but the teachers all feel like teachers and having them pop up other places during the various stories is a nice way to maje the world feel a little fuller.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Flopsy posted:

Finished last night and I'm planning on dropping my review bomb soon. Are spoilers still required at this point? Asking so I can make edits in advance. I'm going to the separate it into three parts; The bad, the good and the weird.

eveyrerone cant wait lol

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Zore posted:

Can you get Own Tempo Rockruff in the game? I caught a shiny one but it was one of its normal abilities and I dunno if they ever implemented a way to get Own Tempo from that.

I’ve seen a few posts on Reddit that the dusk form is available in-game. One of the static Tera encounters does have own tempo as an ability

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Desperate Character posted:

I’ve seen a few posts on Reddit that the dusk form is available in-game. One of the static Tera encounters does have own tempo as an ability

I've seen a Dusk form Lycanroc just wandering around up in the mountains.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The noise Smoliv makes sounds like the noise my cat makes before she vomits, so when I walk by a group of them and they’re all making noise it makes me think a cat is vomiting. Good times! Thankfully they’re cute mons.

hahaha the same thing was happening to me when I first started the game

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Kinda weird that they have full moons in this game but no item to evolve Ursaring during one (PLA exclusive evo, I assume). Also no way to skip forward in time in ScarVio so it would be a real PITA to do, anyway

Hawke
May 1, 2008

Zore posted:

I caught a wild rockruff with own tempo it's just rare, set a pokemon with intimidate as my lead and if own tempo negates it then it'll say so, really helps out finding one. If you want to make your existing rockruff own tempo you need an ability patch which I haven't got yet but have been told are from super late tera raids.

A lot of misinformation about dusk form too, it has to evolve during the ingame dusk, nothing to do with real time at all this time around. You can check the time icon on the map screen.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i'm having a lot of fun playing this game despite all the messiness but lmao that management decided that three years to ship a AAA open world game, when nearly all games take at least five, is fine.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Terper posted:

She's the third shortest character!
her ambitions make up for her height

Framboise posted:

ive never heard this word in my LIFE, what the heck

im reminded of back when among us was super popular and i got put into a room with a bunch of high schoolers using slang i'd never heard of. I'm only twenty-five!! stop makin' me feel old, dammit!!! Darn whippersnappers!!!!!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Goddamn they got some good rear end music in this game.

(Starfall Street Spoilers) Penny's battle theme has no right to slap that drat hard.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Water gym's test was just kind of weird in a really appealing way. Also Kofu is cool and I want to be his friend.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat I was hoping to skip the school exam stuff but you get pokemon and stuff from them

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

her ambitions make up for her height

ive never heard this word in my LIFE, what the heck

im reminded of back when among us was super popular and i got put into a room with a bunch of high schoolers using slang i'd never heard of. I'm only twenty-five!! stop makin' me feel old, dammit!!! Darn whippersnappers!!!!!

I'm 32, you've got no excuse!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The school stuff is... weirdly good? Like, it's just text dump from pokemon characters, but I don't know. There were some good amusing moments and fun characterizations in there.

It's so bizarre that it's just kind of stuck off in a corner that you have to actively seek out. Who's going to actively seek out a series of lectures? Don't get me wrong, it's totally the right call that it's all optional, but it seems like a lot of effort for something like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eiba posted:

The school stuff is... weirdly good? Like, it's just text dump from pokemon characters, but I don't know. There were some good amusing moments and fun characterizations in there.

It's so bizarre that it's just kind of stuck off in a corner that you have to actively seek out. Who's going to actively seek out a series of lectures? Don't get me wrong, it's totally the right call that it's all optional, but it seems like a lot of effort for something like that.

My guess is that they planned for the school to be a bigger/more focused part of the game and trimmed it back pretty late.

There are a lot of little bits that really make it seem like they genuinely wanted to do Pokesona. It even has Social Links!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Goddamn they got some good rear end music in this game.

It is seriously amazing, it is honestly just making the experience just that much more magical.

My three favorite so far:

Nemona's Theme (not the battle theme just the regular one)
The Schools Theme (I think it is just the city's theme but I forget :smith:)
Team Star Boss Battle Music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Arven is kind of a dork, and I am here for it.