Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is there any way an employee can email Elon code and it somehow displays goatse on his computer lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Borscht posted:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. If anyone disagrees with a single part of the dogma, it's an instant dogpile. Its gross

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Imagine actually thinking that whether or not someone paid back all of their predatory loans they got forced into at 18, with large amounts of interest applied, is an actual reflection of their moral character. It's so folksy and simple. Do you toddle along past the baker every day and sing about wanting more than this provincial life?

we let adults do this to kids and make an industry out of it but somehow, it's the kids' moral character that's at question here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiqKK4ysI7g&t=232s

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 22, 2022

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Steadiman posted:

I don't even understand how he'd be able to review hundreds of emails with code every Friday, even if he was a good coder that would be a huge task. And how would he even be able to tell what's good and what isn't without the greater context of whatever the code slots in to. And if he could do that, then what? Is he gonna spend the weekend marking up corrections? How can anyone think this is smart management?

My assumption is that it's less about management and more about his lifelong PR campaign to convince fanboys he's more involved in his products than he really is. It's not enough to be the private property holder and just make money off of other people's labor, he needs the public to believe he's in the trenches working hard and directly contributing to the service.
So most likely he isn't even going to check those loving emails and is only doing it for the dual purpose of praise he could never get from his dad, as well as engendering paranoia in whoever remains at Twitter

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
"MaStOdOn iS sO cOnFuSiNg!" is something I'd expect internet babies to say, not people who have been shitposting since the early 2000s. It took me like a nonconsecutive 2 hours to figure it out, and I'm an idiot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Come on people, we've got to get our lines-of-code-per-hour up up UP! We have to get this code boxed and palleted and out on the docks by 5PM and the ship's leaving with or without it! If our code ain't on store shelves in time for the Black Friday rush your kids don't get Thanksgiving! Now let's TYPE!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

My PhD supervisor made me write him a daily email for the last 6 months of my time there. “Hi Eric, today I will be starting experiment A, and processing samples for experiment B.” It was a punishment for talking to someone in another lab about my work.

I hated him and constantly daydreamed about his death. He’s still alive but finally got in trouble for scientific fraud. A lovely narcissist and a terrible scientist.

I’m sure there will be people at Twitter right now thinking about dancing on Musk’s grave.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1595071537031151618?cxt=HHwWhICgwZTH6qIsAAAA

Good feature. But under Musk I don’t think they can do it. And if they try to push to prod it’ll nuke the site.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It will be encrypted and the Saudi government will have the decryption key

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

How does that help Twitter financially though? Is it going to be subscription only? Is this intended to drive advertisers back to the platform?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

killerwhat posted:

My PhD supervisor made me write him a daily email for the last 6 months of my time there. “Hi Eric, today I will be starting experiment A, and processing samples for experiment B.” It was a punishment for talking to someone in another lab about my work.

jfc

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah let me just go ahead and act like Elon's social media data vacuum is treating my DMs as encrypted, I'll get right on that

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
I ruined the algorithm for myself by goatse-ing Musk and a bunch of his brown-nosers, as well as some chud shitheads. The picture I get from my feed now is that these spoiled Twitter employees were all bloat and that daddy musk is going to use his genius to show the rest of the business world that you don't actually need to pay professionals a decent salary or benefits. To them, these professionals are nothing but babies that need to be forced to work more than four hours a week and brought to heel.

It's disturbing because they really see the quality of life a professional enjoys as something to be completely destroyed for the sake of capital. I don't think it'll catch on immediately but as we're all aware, companies collude in many senses to keep prices high and costs low, and they're actively and openly on a project to proletarianize people with specialized skills.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Twitter currently can’t handle a checkmark so that’s a bit pie in the sky

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Just keep promising more features while gutting more staff. Smart businessman stuff.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1595071537031151618?cxt=HHwWhICgwZTH6qIsAAAA

Good feature. But under Musk I don’t think they can do it. And if they try to push to prod it’ll nuke the site.

Isn't this guy notorious for saying features everyone wants is coming and never delivers?

Like, that's his entire brand. Why would anyone believe him?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
It feels like Elon is basically running "The Producers" for social media. It's even got the nazis. "Safe space for Hitler"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

kazil posted:

How does that help Twitter financially though? Is it going to be subscription only? Is this intended to drive advertisers back to the platform?

fishing with the fam posted:

Just keep promising more features while gutting more staff. Smart businessman stuff.
It's almost as if...this is an idea for the company Musk brought, and not the one he currently has!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’ll end up some nightmare feature like “send a voice message to any account you want for 10 bucks a pop!”

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Frank Frank posted:

P sure recording in that place was Marilyn Mansion’s idea/shtick but yeah, Reznor was producing(?) back when Portrait of an American Family came out if memory serves.

Side note: I saw Manson open for NiN at the Patriot center eons ago (Downward Spiral tour?) and Manson opened his set by announcing that “Satan is giving out kisses to all of the 13 year old girls in the front row”.

Trent was 100% into the sordid details of the property, at least initially, which isn't weird for an edge lord 20 something Industrial guy in 1992. After leasing the place, he christened it Le Pig, referencing the word written in Tate's blood on the front door (he also had multiple songs using pig imagery on The Downward Spiral, which he produced there).

His mind was changed after being chewed out by Tate's sister in 1993; shortly after the confrontation he moved out, then later gave an interview where he showed contrition about previously being an ignorant dickhead. So, he's willing to listen to other people and change his mind. He's a good guy, or at least isn't a total piece of poo poo.

THAT SAID, he still bought the front door, and had it installed at his New Orleans studio, so... you know. I don't doubt that he regretted being so tasteless and insensitive in the past, but I also don't doubt that he thought keeping a piece of the murder house was at least a little badass.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

graynull posted:

"Safe space for Hitler"

:hmbol:

Mods, do the thing

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

kazil posted:

They're the obvious next steps in building his X.com Super App, his childhood dream and the only thing that will allow him to achieve climax. Who needs finances?!

They're also low hanging fruit for his engineering-poor husk of a company because voice chat is already a feature of Twitter.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

kazil posted:

CharlestonJew posted:

It will be encrypted and the Saudi government will have the decryption key

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kazil posted:

He doesn't need advertisers, he's going to have a million people paying $8/mo which will definitely cover that 1.5b a year

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lol. Good loving luck with that. Encrypting DMs in a way that actually works securely without severely compromising QoL is extremely difficult and fidly. How can an already overworked skeleton crew supposed to pull this off?

edit: Consider that the private key has to be stored somewhere. And for a mass-market app with a web frontend like twitter, it will certainly not be on the user's device. Opaquely storing the keys on behalf of the users while maintaining the guarantees that are expected by "encrypted DMs" is possible, but there are many moving pieces to such systems, and a small mistake in any one of them would be a disaster.

For example, you sort of have no choice but to encrypt the key with the user's password, which means that this password will now have to serve double-duty, which means that a bug that accidentally exposes user passwords will become a lot likelier. And that's just one of the things that can easily go wrong.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 22, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Aramis posted:

Lol. Good loving luck with that. Encrypting DMs in a way that actually works securely without severely compromising QoL is extremely difficult and fidly. How can an already overworked skeleton crew supposed to pull this off?

by sending a lot of emails full of code to elon

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Molten Llama posted:

They're the obvious next steps in building his X.com Super App, his childhood dream and the only thing that will allow him to achieve climax. Who needs finances?!

They're also low hanging fruit for his engineering-poor husk of a company because voice chat is already a feature of Twitter.

Right, all of the existing super apps are generally based on chat. Twitter’s a DM app now. Great.

Article says Musk wants to bring in the Signal guy to help.

Aramis posted:

Well none of those engineers produced much code. Now they will with Boss Elon. Productivity up 3000%

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah we do weekly summaries to our direct manager, but a) we’re completely remote so it’s a good way for our manager to know what we were up to since we’re largely trusted to be self-directed professionals who don’t need to be micromanaged, and b) it’s to our direct manager who then does a team summary for the leadership. It’s not 80 (much less 1,000) of us emailing the CEO.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is there any way an employee can email Elon code and it somehow displays goatse on his computer lol

HELLO WORLD but it's hello.jpg

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Just to be clear: is Elon claiming he himself is a coder and therefore he is capable of providing a review?

Like, has he ever even mentioned before or been touted as a coder by anyone?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

TulliusCicero posted:

Just to be clear: is Elon claiming he himself is a coder and therefore he is capable of providing a review?

Yes, Elon said he was doing that in person code review on Friday so he could “learn the Twitter stack”

He also said in the Tesla lawsuit over his insanely huge compensation package that he thinks he’s basically chief engineer, he gets in there and gets the work done.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Coding, despite the protestations of poindexters, is just logic, and as a genius billiobaire Elon's got that in spades

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

TulliusCicero posted:

Without knowing context a code review is completely useless past just checking for junior level basic mistakes, so Musk asking for them tells on himself.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

I now require all fire fighters to tell me every Friday what they have been doing all week. It's come to my attention that there was only one fire this week, why am I paying you to sit around watching pirated films?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

TulliusCicero posted:

I think he's using a modified version of the "once you get paid for writing you are a writer" rule to acquire the title. By that logic I and every other person who has ever written a PowerShell script at work are also Software Engineers, so if any devs in this thread want me to review their codebase I will... totally... know how to... do that.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 22, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LOL, I'd bristle if my immediate manager got micromangey - if it was the loving CEO, I'd probably just send him daily emails titled "My Daily Production" and just attach an image from RateMyPoop until security came for me.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Please stop submitting ascii goatse for your weekly code reviews.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/21/23472025/elon-musk-twitter-hiring-again-ending-layoffs

"During an all-hands meeting with Twitter employees today, Musk said that the company is done with layoffs and actively recruiting for roles in engineering and sales and that employees are encouraged to make referrals, according to two people who attended and a partial recording obtained by The Verge. His comments were made the same day that an unspecified wave of cuts hit Twitter’s sales department, which has lost almost all of its senior leadership since Musk took over."

yes removing all perks after axing 2/3 of your workforce and doing whatever it is he's been doing these past couple weeks definitely makes people to want to work for you.

if your hook is, "work for elon musk" maybe rethink that hook.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

It'll somehow send Goatse to your mom on Facebook and she won't even question if it's you in the picture

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I really hope Musk gets fully disgraced before he finally kicks the bucket.

I would hate for the general public to remember him as "the transcendental genius who tragically passed away before he could save the world'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Steadiman posted:

Nobody should ever say "meat space", even ironically. It's gross

Now join me into the living room/den or, as I like to call it, fetid meat space pool