Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Froist posted:

Plus while the OP said “with the phone off”, I presume they meant “with the screen off” which would stop anything playing in PiP.

Yeah that’s what I meant. Unless the YouTube app lets me play videos as audio only with the screen turned off like Brave does then Brave stays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can play youtube videos on my phone with the screen locked, but I am also an idiot that pays for youtube premium so maybe that's why it works.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

I can play youtube videos on my phone with the screen locked, but I am also an idiot that pays for youtube premium so maybe that's why it works.

That is exactly why it works.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Safari + Vinegar can do that (just tested it).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What's a good audiobooks app if I have a bunch of mp3 books?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I like BookPlayer. Works great for me.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bookplayer/id1138219998

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Bound is the other big rec there

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

NextDNS + extra blocklists. The free tier is plenty for phone browsing.

This is working well for me so far, except that the “GoodbyeAds” list (and maybe others?) blocks metrics.icloud.com which appears to break the App Store on an iOS device.

At least I think it’s that domain. Whitelisting it appears to have fixed the problem

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

xzzy posted:

I pay less than $2 a month for a family YT Premium account from Argentina. Which is by far the best workaround I've seen to getting rid of ads on YouTube.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I use Bound, it does the things I like in an audiobook reader.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

highme posted:

I pay less than $2 a month for a family YT Premium account from Argentina. Which is by far the best workaround I've seen to getting rid of ads on YouTube.
Same, but i VPN'd to India to sign up and it comes to ~£1 a month.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

highme posted:

Slash posted:

Same, but i VPN'd to India to sign up and it comes to ~£1 a month.

I wish I could trust this but far too much of my digital life is tied to my Google account to risk it getting banned. I should try to gradually extricate myself from that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

One thing to ask yourself is “would I get $4 a week of value out of this?” If you watch YT videos a lot then it’s super ok to spend the money on it even though there are ways to scam it.

It hit me one time that I actually have a small amount of media and software that brings me joy and that I use A LOT so it’s ok to me to pay the small price to enjoy them while at the same time supporting the creators and software developers.

For example, a long time ago I realized I have Plex on all day every day while I work and while relaxing. After using the software for 8+ hours a day for literal years I said they have much more than earned the $75 it cost for a Lifetime Pass.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Froist posted:

I wish I could trust this but far too much of my digital life is tied to my Google account to risk it getting banned. I should try to gradually extricate myself from that.

I just happened to be on holiday when i signed up for Youtube Premium.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

One thing to ask yourself is “would I get $4 a week of value out of this?” If you watch YT videos a lot then it’s super ok to spend the money on it even though there are ways to scam it.

The family plan is $23/month because it comes bundled with their stupid music streaming service.

I just want to remove ads from my kids’ YouTube, not subscribe to a music streaming service I’ll never use.

highme
May 25, 2001

Slash posted:

was trying to get caught up on the Try Guys but all those Spanish language ads were too annoying, so I signed up for premium.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Slash posted:

highme posted:

was trying to get caught up on the Try Guys but all those Spanish language ads were too annoying, so I signed up for premium.

I'm not judging you guys in the slightest (honestly!), but personally I just wouldn't rely on that. If some automated system within the faceless megacorp that all my logins are tied to decided to lock my account because they think it's using an illegitimate billing loophole (whether I went on holiday or not), I wouldn't fancy being locked out of everything until/if it was resolved. People have had their accounts perma-deleted while being innocent before, albeit with an entirely different reasoning.

I admit, part of that's on me for tying so much to a single point of failure, but it makes you want to play by the rules with that account. The alternative is detach all my important stuff from Google but then I'd end up paying for a different email host so the saving on YT Premium becomes smaller anyway..

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YouTube has added a requirement that you need to log in from whatever country your billing is set to every 6 months as well.

I was looking into this over the weekend but a few weeks ago they raised the prices and tightened the restrictions and it just seems like the writing is on the wall.

highme
May 25, 2001

Froist posted:

I'm not judging you guys in the slightest (honestly!), but personally I just wouldn't rely on that. If some automated system within the faceless megacorp that all my logins are tied to decided to lock my account because they think it's using an illegitimate billing loophole (whether I went on holiday or not), I wouldn't fancy being locked out of everything until/if it was resolved. People have had their accounts perma-deleted while being innocent before, albeit with an entirely different reasoning.

I admit, part of that's on me for tying so much to a single point of failure, but it makes you want to play by the rules with that account. The alternative is detach all my important stuff from Google but then I'd end up paying for a different email host so the saving on YT Premium becomes smaller anyway..

don't worry, I really wasn't watching the Try Guys (I had no idea who they were until the drama)

I mean, I guess if my google account gets locked that'll suck to get locked out of my photos archive, I should probably download all of that now that I'm thinking about it.

Edit: For whatever reason YouTube Music seems to have the best shuffle algorithm (and seems to be the preferred music app of both my adult children) so worst-case scenario, I go back to paying $20+ a month and still not have to watch commercials.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 22, 2022

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Asking here before I try some convoluted poo poo, as I traditionally do: is there a good e-reader app with both iOS and Windows versions that can sync my progress? Sometimes I open an .epub on my desktop and read for a bit, it would be nice if I could then open it on my iPad and have it know where I left off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Kindle?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I've been reluctant to use the Kindle app because I hate having to convert everything that isn't .mobi to .mobi, but if that's the best option it might be worth it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
These days Kindle has switched to epub. No conversion needed. Although the formatting can get really wonky. If you send it through this site it will fix it and everything works perfectly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Same, I just send epubs to my kindle email and they appear in the app/device a few minutes later.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

withak posted:

Same, I just send epubs to my kindle email and they appear in the app/device a few minutes later.

You can also send the ‘fixed’ .epub directly to the Kindle app via the Share sheet in your iOS Files.app, avoiding email entirely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kindle personal documents don’t show on the desktop apps.

BookFusion does this on a webapp. Worked great last year when I needed it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is there a recommended "hardcore" camera app? i think halide was always the answer when people asked this but is there a better one now? i'm looking for something that can emulate dslr shooting but also isn't a terrible interface.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What is the go to torrent app?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

is there a recommended "hardcore" camera app? i think halide was always the answer when people asked this but is there a better one now? i'm looking for something that can emulate dslr shooting but also isn't a terrible interface.

I've always liked ProCamera.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is the go to torrent app?

Apple doesn't let those on the App Store. You could always rent a seedbox with Transmission on it I guess. Or VPN into your home and access transmission over the network.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve used Manual Camera for a while and I really like it. I don’t use it all the time but when I miss shooting with an SLR it almost covers that. The one thing it needs is a way to save settings, like if I’ve found a setup I like for landscapes it would be great to save that so I don’t have to dial it in again.

Manual Camera 4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like a grandpa asking this because the answer should be simple, but is there a way to get apple carplay to only display or play podcast episodes that I have already downloaded into the stock iphone podcast app? It's easy to sort them in the app itself on my phone, but carplay seems to always give me a list of every episode and I have to scroll around to find the ones I have already downloaded.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
fyi if you're using lastpass you should really uh, stop, and spend christmas eve changing all your passwords

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

fyi if you're using lastpass you should really uh, stop, and spend christmas eve changing all your passwords

Even worse, this was the leak that happened over the summer. So that's 5-6 months of people's vaults being out there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

At this point even moving everything to native iOS password management would be an improvement compared to LastPass.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Weird question time; is there a good camera app that has an optional shutter sound, preferably only when using a bluetooth remote to shoot?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Got caught on upskirt patrol again?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

~Coxy posted:

Weird question time; is there a good camera app that has an optional shutter sound, preferably only when using a bluetooth remote to shoot?

The default camera app does not play a shutter sound if the phone is on silent.

But also, this question is weird/creep adjacent without more context.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

withak posted:

Got caught on upskirt patrol again?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

I’m going to hope it’s for like wildlife photography. Coxy’s been a chill poster for years I don’t think he’s suddenly gonna have a creeper moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Certain countries, most notable Japan have legislated that all phones sold in their region have a shutter noise.