Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

lmfao he's just doing paypal again, fuckin bean counter professionale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1595071537031151618?cxt=HHwWhICgwZTH6qIsAAAA

Good feature. But under Musk I don’t think they can do it. And if they try to push to prod it’ll nuke the site.

quote:

I would ask Twitter for comment on what Musk said about encrypting DMs but the company doesn’t have a communications department anymore.
LOL

I can't find the source, but there's hearsay going around the Signal guy said he has no idea what Musk is talking about, which would be so on-brand for Musk's boasting.

EDIT: Close -- Signal said no.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/11/musk-paid-checkmarks-wont-return-until-twitter-can-stop-impersonation/

quote:

Signal, however, told Ars that the company has not been in any official talks with Musk.

"Signal has not been working with Twitter on this effort," Meredith Whittaker, president of Signal, told Ars. "We do believe that more private communications are a net good, and we are interested to see how Twitter tackles the complexity of creating usable, encrypted DMs across the web and mobile."
LOL. "Good luck, dipshits!"

I like Elon's idea for the future of Twitter. He could have saved himself billions to build this poo poo from scratch:

quote:

In addition to encrypted DMs, Musk wants to add encrypted voice and video chat features.

“We want to enable users to be able to communicate without being concerned about their privacy, [or] without being concerned about a data breach at Twitter causing all of their DMs to hit the web, or think that maybe someone at Twitter could be spying on their DMs,” Musk told Twitter staff.

For anyone keeping track, this means that in addition to launching potential paid features—like sending a celebrity a DM or viewing exclusive videos from content creators—basic fixes—like improving Twitter search—and bold ideas—like turning Twitter into the next PayPal—Musk is also hoping to make Twitter a go-to messenger for users. He'll do this, he told his team, by diverging from other messaging services and making it so Twitter users do not have to share actual phone numbers to communicate.
:lmao:

GolfHole posted:

He has a degree in economics, so it makes sense.

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 22, 2022

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

PITY BONER posted:

LOL

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PITY BONER posted:

hold on, i'm looking at this degree more closely... hey wait a second, this is a degree in elonomics!!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

GolfHole posted:

I feel like he's trying to do all the things he wasn't allowed to do at PayPal because his ideas were stupid.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
musk probably thinks geohot (who agreed to come work for him) is the Signal guy

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
With Elon in charge, the twitter-to-cryptoscam pipeline will be brought to a singularity

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i was wondering when all the questionable stuff from 4chan and reddit were going to show up

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i'm such a hotshot hardcore programmer that jerking off turns into a threesome because i code loving and caring ai partners to join me so i don't feel so lonely but deep down i know it's not real and the hole in my heart continues to slowly expand

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

ymgve posted:

musk probably thinks geohot (who agreed to come work for him) is the Signal guy

Speaking of George

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1594790788168294404?cxt=HHwWiICxvbbx6qEsAAAA

Guess he’s just going to fix search, no biggie

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

https://twitter.com/Austen/status/1594807526951903232?s=20&t=RW8zIvcJ4is3AQLM48GpZA

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1594842112629116931?s=20&t=RW8zIvcJ4is3AQLM48GpZA

"It really sucks"
"True"

Lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Google is the god tier of data analytics and search and there's no way this guys gonna be the one to topple that regime.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope he means "what would make you use native twitter search instead of google search with site:twitter.com", because twitter replacing google is so laughable it must have been an idea from musk

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

'for first time' needs some ominous background music.

lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What if, instead of doing what Twitter does best, Twitter does a lovely version of what everyone else does?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

ymgve posted:

I hope he means "what would make you use native twitter search instead of google search with site:twitter.com", because twitter replacing google is so laughable it must have been an idea from musk

Can’t have an everything app without reproducing Google!

I mean the majority of the clicks come through Twitter so naturally it must index everything important already.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Whenever Musk excitedly tweets about some new feature he wants to add to Twitter, I get strong flashbacks to when Trump was zonked out of his mind on COVID drugs and was tweeting up a storm a month or so before the 2020 election. It has the same kind of :catdrugs: energy

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

kazil posted:

What if, instead of doing what Twitter does best, Twitter does a lovely version of what everyone else does?

Well those are profitable businesses, so perhaps he is on to something.

In fact, I may steal the idea for my own business. "Siri, take a note: buy Intel, turn it into Walmart."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the fact that he thinks there might be an easy way to fundamentally change how search results are returned tells me he's exactly the right man for Elon's new hardcore twitter!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's like a Billions / Silicon Valley mashup - with new episode every day.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Whenever Musk excitedly tweets about some new feature he wants to add to Twitter, I get strong flashbacks to when Trump was zonked out of his mind on COVID drugs and was tweeting up a storm a month or so before the 2020 election. It has the same kind of :catdrugs: energy
We're eventually going to find out (via encrypted mass DM blast) that his prototype Neuralink implant has been glitching, causing this erratic behaviour.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Twitter still works somehow. Musk must truly be a genius

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

Why did you not just respond with "im working on meeting the requirements for my degree today"

in my graduate program that would have met fulfilling the whims of my supervisor who decides whether or not i deserve my credit hours

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1594790788168294404?s=20&t=R7zPv8aZQiP8cxJdAA43JA

Thanks, radium

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ehud posted:

the fact that he thinks there might be an easy way to fundamentally change how search results are returned tells me he's exactly the right man for Elon's new hardcore twitter!

Just wait until Musk hears about soundex....

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Twitter still works somehow. Musk must truly be a genius

Yeah everyone edging about the World Cup breaking the twits forever has disappointed me greatly. Please line up and be ready to be whipped

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i have High Achieving Ridiculously Driven Coding Operator Respect Earned tattooed on my rear end

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1595130510509895680

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

if your hook is, "work for elon musk" maybe rethink that hook.

It worked for SpaceX and Tesla, right? What else could they have that would make qualified people so excited to join? Space missions and electric self-driving vehicles? Nah, nerds hate that stuff.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

PITY BONER posted:

LOL

I can't find the source, but there's hearsay going around the Signal guy said he has no idea what Musk is talking about, which would be so on-brand for Musk's boasting.

EDIT: Close -- Signal said no.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/11/musk-paid-checkmarks-wont-return-until-twitter-can-stop-impersonation/

LOL. "Good luck, dipshits!"

I like Elon's idea for the future of Twitter. He could have saved himself billions to build this poo poo from scratch:

:lmao:

And Trump has a business degree. It doesn't mean anything.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Regrettable posted:

It worked for SpaceX and Tesla, right? What else could they have that would make qualified people so excited to join? Space missions and electric self-driving vehicles? Nah, nerds hate that stuff.
SpaceX and Tesla have more upsides for humanity if they succeed vs a crowdsourced cyberbullying platform.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Regrettable posted:

It worked when Musk’s brand was “real life Tony Stark.” But there’s only so long you can fart in public before everyone starts to notice.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

temple posted:

SpaceX and Tesla have more upsides for humanity

:hmmyes: burning people alive

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It worked when Musk’s brand was “real life Tony Stark.” But there’s only so long you can fart in public before everyone starts to notice.

He's well past farting. His diarrhea is flowing down his pants leg, but he's trying to act normal. Actually he's totally laughing about it 🤣. Everyone's leaving and he's all "Oh, can't take a little diarrhea? snowflakes 🤣"

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1595127540397449217

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Cut, cut, cut, and also we're going to be adding encrypted DMs and video chat"

Elon420DogeLord
Nov 22, 2022

Hey there, I'm one of you posters! Always online! Likeable!
hey everyone! I am new here this looks like a cool, chill relaxing spot!! I heard there was a lot of chatter here, but, after reading most of the last 412 pages overnight on a combination of adderall and Hardcore Buisness Sense, you're dumb fucks who do not understand, at all, the GRAVITY and IMPORTANCE of what is happening at twitter.

this is a revolution happening, it is not televised, it's happening! Sam Bankman got Fried trying to stop this, nothing is stopping this, and Tesla is gonna buy this website too.

just relax! Be chill, (don't) be (overtly) racist and keep those dog whistles close at hand and we can all have fun!

I am a cool dude! I like weed! I once had sex with a POPULAR MUSIC PRODUCER. You people are nothing

edit: if anyone threatens me I am loving calling my ((lawyer)) and you can be god drat sure they make more in a day than you do in a miserable year

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/FKNSickOfMS/status/1595083172567736320?s=20&t=mXRL76Wb_Tvsf8wqVxf8aA

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
When you’re getting smacked by Wil Wheaton of all people it’s pretty much over.

From the NYT piece:

Before Elon Musk bought Twitter last month, the company’s executives had racked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in travel invoices that the social media service planned to pay.

But once Mr. Musk took over the company, he refused to reimburse travel vendors for those bills, current and former Twitter employees said. Mr. Musk’s staff said the services were authorized by the company’s former management and not by him. His staff have since avoided the calls of the travel vendors, the people said.

Just don’t pay the bills! Those aren’t mine! Wait what do you mean I bought those bills for 44 bil

Elon420DogeLord
Nov 22, 2022

Hey there, I'm one of you posters! Always online! Likeable!

Just don’t pay the bills! Those aren’t mine! Wait what do you mean I bought those bills for 44 bil

watch out you are buying into a deliberate narrative, you might even say, a disinformation campaign. Most of these bills are fradulent and Twitter will be able to prove that in court just as soon as we they rehire all the people we fired who knew about the scam billing system.

Basically they had a microservice for creating fake bills and when we they pulled the plug the scammers got mad 😂😂 😂😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

well for starters i use google to search the internet and not some dipshit's tweets? this is a non sequitur