Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BAD rear end minion memes! posted:

My hot take is that there's nothing stopping you from getting into a battle and immediately throwing a ball anyway, so throwing a pokeball from the overworld should at least be an option (that kicks you into a battle if the pokemon breaks out).

Agreed!

Echophonic posted:

Oh lord, only the learner needs the herb? RIP 30k. Oh well, not like money's that hard to come by with my Tera Raid addiction.

What the gently caress, that takes like 20 seconds. That's insane and I love it.

I'm hoping the answer is no, does the herb get consumed when the move is learned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also why did they not bring back the NPC to reset EVs.

This service was Isle of Armor DLC only in SwSh.

That said, with how easy everything else has become breeding/learning/training-wise, this is a very good point to bring up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MacheteZombie posted:

Agreed!

I'm hoping the answer is no, does the herb get consumed when the move is learned?

Nope.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You can even do multiple at a time! I jsut got Petal Blizzard and Sucker Punch on my starter. Just had to level up a Foemantis.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

The glide not working similar to Arceus's was a bummer and lol the drop off of your path if you glide for too long.

It's really funny if you glide off the highest point on the map, because not only will you eventually lose all forward momentum, you'll eventually just go into a free-fall

Koraidon's ability to absorb terminal velocity forces is pretty drat impressive

Say what you like about the game, but its NPC design is fantastic
I want those gloves, dammit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Echophonic posted:

Oh lord, only the learner needs the herb? RIP 30k. Oh well, not like money's that hard to come by with my Tera Raid addiction.

What the gently caress, that takes like 20 seconds. That's insane and I love it.

what are you talking about?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lux Animus posted:

Frankly I miss my OP dodge roll and I wish my dragonbike would just step over the bugs and birds that I can't see on the ground.

It's also really weird to be locked in a fight to catch a Salazzle with all her male paramours watching and panicking in the background, and none of them are attacking me. She's your queen! Losers

This would've been a great game for reintroducing horde battles. Especially if your friends could peel some of the horde off of you to even the odds. I imagine the logistics of an encounter changing in the middle of a fight would be a bitch to calculate, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Spanish Manlove posted:

what are you talking about?

Passing on egg moves. You can just give a pokemon a Mirror Herb and it'll learn any moves it can from other party Pokemon at a picnic. Read something about both needing it, but only the learner does.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I caught my first shiny! :3:

I didn't play PLA but I really do wish they had some kind of sound/visual indicator on the overworld that they are shiny (other than, you know, their color being different). I get that pokemon being small or whatever is part of the world-building but to be honest, I feel like it makes it harder to appreciate a lot of the designs.

Also I was surprised to learn that GTS isn't a thing. Last I played was sun/moon and I completed the regional dex and got my shiny charm in that game by doing a bunch of trades. Nothing like getting a legendary for a starter or other similar wacky poo poo I pulled off back then.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The chanting also works better when the fight is in....you know...a stadium. With a crowd.

Not when there's a group of like...maybe five randos watching the fight.

I think SwSh spoiled us when it came to hyped-up Gym fights because these feel so low energy in comparison. The music and environment just isn't anywhere near as exciting. Gyms kinda feel like casual pit stops instead of big events.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

So at what point in the game do you start finding more Tera orbs? I’m two gyms/Titans/bases in and still only have the default one

To my knowledge there's only one Tera orb. The variable here is that Pokemon will have different Tera types, which can be obtained via:

1) Their default assigned Tera type. Will match one of their original types (ie, Water Tera for Quaxley)
2) A special encounter Tera type. These come from Tera Raid battles or mystery gifts
3) Item-assigned Tera type. These are created when you have 50 Tera Fragments of the same type. You'll learn about this mechanic more at the city of Medali

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
The thing I want them to bring in most from PLA is the goofy lil sidequests. Even some of the more annoying ones like catching the Big Buizel added a whole lot of character to the town, which feels even more necessary now you can barely go in any of the buildings and they're mostly menus.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kicking over random pokemon in Let's Go mode (I think?) is a good addition. Even though it seems like you get a small part of the experience you would from battling.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Bee posted:

This would've been a great game for reintroducing horde battles. Especially if your friends could peel some of the horde off of you to even the odds. I imagine the logistics of an encounter changing in the middle of a fight would be a bitch to calculate, though.

Just send your pokemon out to thin the herd

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Am I just stupid, or is there seriously no way to lock the orientation of the map?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Bee posted:

This game freaks out and Pokemon go to 3 frames per second with 10 sunflora on the screen lol, I don't think it would work on those grounds alone.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Am I just stupid, or is there seriously no way to lock the orientation of the map?
click R3, its a lifesaver

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the gym receptionists can stop staring at my crotch whenever they like

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What chanting are you people talking about? The vocal part of the boss gym leader? That's not trying to be a crowd chanting or cheering it's just the music adding in a layer of vocalization as another instrument. Like a more tame version of what platinum does with its boss fights.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The fact that the 30, 40, and 50 year old NPCs are also students wearing the same uniform makes me think they just ran out of time

Man I like Pokémon and I liked sword and shield but this feels like it’s not even close to a beta

You think they ran out of time, which in this case somehow means creating a bunch of new adult models instead of reusing the bevy of existing student models?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

the gym receptionists can stop staring at my crotch whenever they like

that goes for the gym receptionists in the video game too btw

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What chanting are you people talking about? The vocal part of the boss gym leader? That's not trying to be a crowd chanting or cheering it's just the music adding in a layer of vocalization as another instrument. Like a more tame version of what platinum does with its boss fights.

Yeah but in SwSh it was meant to sound like the crowd chanting, the way crowds chant at football games. So it seems weird to have a similar sound that *doesn't* represent a crowd chanting. I get it.

That shiny Hawlucha upthread is a good-looking shiny! drat.

I got to orthworm last night, what a wonderfully stupid creature. Choo choo here comes the worm train.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Is there any way to get an overview on raids or do I have to manually inspect each one

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

Is there any way to get an overview on raids or do I have to manually inspect each one

I'm pretty sure you have to manually inspect them, but you can get an overview of the online raids other people are hosting from the multiplayer menu.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You also get the 500LP for checking, so it's worth doing anyway.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Okay folks here it is; ol' Flopsy's take on Scarlet. I'd like to preface this by explaining I've played every single pokemon game since release from the original red, blue and yellow till now. So I'd like to think I have a bit of perspective on the series. I'm going to list this in three parts because the game is dense enough that it warrants such. All in all I found more good than bad in it so i'm going to list the bad parts first just because it'd take longer the other way around.

The Bad:

This thing seriously needed more time in the oven. I played a physical copy on handheld which as I understand is the best functioning version and I believe it. My glitches and jank were fairly minimum but still very present. The worst I got was slowdown and lag with npcs walking in cities, occasionally moving through doors, the camera sliding into the ground once, and one game crash although with autosave on it's minor issue. Another thing I noticed was a heal ball in the middle of several rooms that I couldn't interact with. I understand with coding a secret trick is to sometimes to place a bit of something in the walls to stabilize the rest of the set up--I think that heal ball was a very visible bandaid. It stinks of crunch and I felt quietly furious that a game this good is clearly being marred by that. I have no idea how to tell Gamefreak to stop being loving terrible but a lot of this could've easily been avoided if they weren't pushing for the release this soon. There's also clear they cut back on little details like building interiors which I'm a bit meh on but is still pretty goddamn cheap. It feels like they put all their chips in on the school itself and then went "whatever" for close to everything else. On that note the Elite 4 battle was a big mix for me. The music during it was absolutely loving terrible and compared to say ORAS when you're heading to each unique room where member resides. You're sat in a blank featureless battle room that feels like the basement of a church where alcoholics anonymous meetings are held. Just absolutely flavorless and I'm not sure if they were cutting back here or it was just an atrocious aesthetic decision. Either way it was in vast contrast to the characters themselves and felt weirdly enough in line with how Larry must feel about his job. Maybe that was partially the intent. Either way Spain got robbed here.

The Good:

Pretty much everything else though was astounding. This ranks up there with one of my absolute favorite pokemon games and blows Sword and Shield out of the water easily. The new pokemon are fantastic lots of fun choices, types and variety good designs all around. I loved all the starters and I most especially love our box legendary. We actually receive a weakened version of them at the start that we spend the rest of the game lovingly bonding with until they're strong enough to battle for you. It's good poo poo. Can't speak for Miraidon but Koraidon is literally a giant slobbery dragon dog. He's cuddly, expressive and trills and purrs like my cat. You really do grow to love this thing as your beloved pet and less so a glorified endgame prize. And that's a vast improvement of the Nebby subplot from back in the day. Animation on him and the characters is also vastly improved. No longer does your player character blankly smile at everything as the world burns down around them. Cutscenes were smooth and cinematic outside the the usual gameplay jank. So at least those went off without a hitch. Online gameplay in contrast is blazingly fast and efficient. Raids were finished in the blink of an eye and connecting is much faster and easier. They also act as treasure troves of rare items and money in addition to whatever you catch so they're a life saver early in game when you're running low on supplies.

Getting back to the characters though, all the characters in game are again improvement. Most especially your rivals who are fleshed out and very sympathetic. These people really do feel like your close friends and your development into that dynamic feels very natural as apposed to the forced "We're neighbors and therefore BESTIES :D" schtick. I even love the teachers most especially the principal Clavell. You might think going in he's going to be the secret villain or something. But it turns out he's actually kind of like the pokemon professor of the game right down to giving you your starter and looking out for your safety. It was surprisingly refreshing that this guy becomes like your adoptive grandpa after a time even if he's never going to understand the slang you kids use today. Speaking of pokemon professors lets talk Sada/Turo.

Spoilers!! Once you get into the meat of Arven's storyline it become increasingly apparent the the professor of your game is kind of a shitbag who abandoned their kid for their research. What kind of research? Well time travel of course! And an obsessive belief that they can somehow drag pokemon back from these eras so they can make friends and live in harmony with modern day pokemon. loving why? Uhhh...simple answer is they think they're really cool and wanna do it even though this plan blows up in their face nigh immediately when said ancient/future pokemon prove to be very aggressive and uncontrollable. It's literally stated if they escaped Area zero they would absolutely destroy the ecosystem of Paldea and the Professors know this. They also don't give a single solitary poo poo. To the point they drag two koraidon--yours and a nigh feral one out of there to research in their personal labs. Exposing Arven to them as well. Because really why not expose your own kid to animals you can't even loving control? This gets them killed eventually of course and the professor you interact with in game is in fact an AI copy they made to handle their affairs in their absence. The bloody AI has more morals than the original though and enlists your help to shut down the machine before the crater gets filled to the point it can no longer contain these paradox mons. This plot is genuinely creepy and unsettling and there's a point the final fight where it feels like you're interacting the professor from beyond the grave and it's on par with Lysandre genocidal ramblings. This is in contrast to Sword and Shield very rushed final sequence and it so much better for it.

Speaking of Area Zero it's loving beautiful in there as I feel most the game is despite the Nintendo textures. This builds on what legends arceus did for exploring the map. I loved being able to wander all over the loving place to my hearts content and find all kinds of secret caves, coves and what not. I'm so happy pokemon is returning to this and theres moments in the game that are genuinely breathtaking for it; Riding my dragon steed down a grassy slope and the wind blows leaves past us while a pair of Tauros start racing us but devolve into chasing each other around, storms blowing clusters of Hoppip away, a Cetoddle watching me battle a trainer and cheering and flapping it's fins at me when I won. The interaction and natural behaviors have improved and sometimes it's easy to become lost in it. This really is the pokémon game I've always wanted and it sadden me it got hobbled out of the gate.

The Weird:

The plot. Not the three stories of course but the fourth and final one. We never do truly figure out what the gently caress is going on down there in Area Zero. The book talks about finding these paradox mons down there long before the time machine was ever built. So how the gently caress did they get down there? This question is exacerbated by the book mentioning a third legendary that appears to be the source of the tera crystals. It may fact be producing the paradox mons itself rather than dragging them out of the timeline. At this stage we still don't know but the the thought is throughly lovecraftian and I hope they build on it.

In conclusion is this game worth a purchase? Absolutely yes, but you may wish to give it time for code patches to be released to ease up on the worst of the glitches. How much you can take is up to you but don't let it scare you off from a truly amazing pokémon experience.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 23, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Flopsy posted:

pokémon

Hooray! :bravo:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Splash Attack posted:

yeah while sw/sh was boring the gym fights felt like a actual spectacle in-game, so it's kind of weird for it to downgrade to a casual gathering in scarvi lol. but i do love the music even if it doesn't fit.

so far I washed up bug and grass handily by spamming incinerate and then electric without building a team against it so I think this makes sense considering all the gym leaders are like bakers or youtubers who just manage a gym on the side, it seems like they get scrubbed up constantly, literally the third person you meet in the game has beaten all of them and she's still like a middle schooler so why would anyone come to these things? 5 people cheering makes sense in this context, to me

but man the taxes in Paldea have got to be out of control to pay for a free helicopter ride for anyone who could stuff a pokemon into a ball once

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

On that note the Elite 4 battle was a big mix for me. The music during it was absolutely loving terrible

Seems like it bugged out for a lot of people and only played the intro file

Song's a bop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4DybEiz7NI

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, this is the first pokemon where there are NPCs in the modern towns who don't have anything to say to you and they look like they're on their smoke break outside the chain restaurant. Laziness or realism?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

God....I think this is what happened, how disappointing. The first few bars just played on repeat for me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vinylshadow posted:

yeah I know like two different people who got the bug it seems more common than a lot of the other Really Bad poo poo

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Paramemetic posted:

so far I washed up bug and grass handily by spamming incinerate and then electric without building a team against it so I think this makes sense considering all the gym leaders are like bakers or youtubers who just manage a gym on the side, it seems like they get scrubbed up constantly, literally the third person you meet in the game has beaten all of them and she's still like a middle schooler so why would anyone come to these things? 5 people cheering makes sense in this context, to me

but man the taxes in Paldea have got to be out of control to pay for a free helicopter ride for anyone who could stuff a pokemon into a ball once

The gyms definitely feel like the most tepid part to me so far. Spectacle and Arwen's story elevate the Titans, and Starfall has been just plain fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lux Animus posted:

On the other hand, this is the first pokemon where there are NPCs in the modern towns who don't have anything to say to you and they look like they're on their smoke break outside the chain restaurant. Laziness or realism?

We've had that since Gen V

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BAD rear end minion memes! posted:

My hot take is that there's nothing stopping you from getting into a battle and immediately throwing a ball anyway, so throwing a pokeball from the overworld should at least be an option (that kicks you into a battle if the pokemon breaks out).

this should be how it works yeah, and also i get to pick a quick ball as my opening throw of course.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/kocha8164/status/1594698507033640963

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

I think about eating a fidough a lot

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It’s not S/V but drat I’m really liking Ultra Sun. I was able to put a Kadabra up for trade for another kadabra and got a lvl 16 pretty quick.

My singular complaint is that I cannot put poo poo into my PokeBank because my pass lapsed, and I cannot buy a new pass until March :argh:

I think I originally bounced off off it due to the cringe dancing bad guys lol

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Still at work so haven't tried this yet, but I think I figured out a rather janky way to reset EVs Auctions sometimes have batches of 99 EV reducing berries, switching the clock resets auctions (apparently). With a bit of clock-switch time travelling (hmm) it probably wouldn't be that bad to get a collection of each - and since an average random-battle trained pokemon will only need 8-10 of each that'd be more than enough to reset your in game team.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Flopsy posted:

God....I think this is what happened, how disappointing. The first few bars just played on repeat for me.

Yeah, what the gently caress. I just did these fights and got the same error