Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a really weird design choice in an otherwise sweaty, uncensored game. I might have preferred if they just chose a different word altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's odd because they do present fictional racial slurs uncensored, and appear to have come up with a fictional homophobic slur (the pissf*****t jacket uses the word "flaubert" in the code) but then decided to censor it and let people assume it means human being

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I remember it always being censored, playing the game on release. I think there was a pre-release review where someone essentially said "there might be some reason for it, but it's still a slur put in front of my eyes and I don't like that". The impression I get is that the developers decided that they agree and made a fairly awkward change at the last minute.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I respect the decision to use real IRL slurs hat they know alot of their audience will not be comfortable with and also also understand why they had to temper that with bleeping. I feel it still hits the intended effect when Cuno starts going gamer mode on you, which wouldn't hit the same way if he was calling you a kluncher or whatever

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

No Dignity posted:

I respect the decision to use real IRL slurs hat they know alot of their audience will not be comfortable with and also also understand why they had to temper that with bleeping. I feel it still hits the intended effect when Cuno starts going gamer mode on you, which wouldn't hit the same way if he was calling you a k******* or whatever

Hey now.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Does anyone have this for the Switch? Thinking about getting this for someone as a Christmas present but I've also read some stuff about performance issues and crashes on Switch specifically. Don't want to spoil someone's experience of the game if those issues are still present.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Does anyone have this for the Switch? Thinking about getting this for someone as a Christmas present but I've also read some stuff about performance issues and crashes on Switch specifically. Don't want to spoil someone's experience of the game if those issues are still present.

There's issues with the Switch port where some dialogue trees will softlock with a blank dialogue window. You won't be able to exit the dialogue and with no autosave (it causes some harsh lag) you can lose a bunch of time. If you get that for them, give them a warning note to save manually and save often.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
There’s something horribly anticlimactic about failing the check to throw the spirit bomb. Oh well.

I seem to be incapable of making Harry be too much of a fuckup though because I’ve played through twice and got the “good” ending twice. I think I’ll be looking up other outcomes on YouTube.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

No Dignity posted:

Yes it was for sure, sorry!

why are you sorry

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I seem to be incapable of making Harry be too much of a fuckup though because I’ve played through twice and got the “good” ending twice. I think I’ll be looking up other outcomes on YouTube.

The ending where a bunch of cops wallpaper over a cop's many failures and protect him from the consequences of his decisions?

Yeah, that's not a hard ending to get.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There have been some patches that largely addressed the issues with the switch version. Load times are bad still and it can occasionally be difficult to select icons when there are a lot on screen at once. But it’s completely playable. My last playthrough was post patch and I did not have a single full crash and the movement issues from prior versions were fixed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

No partners and no motive for the killer - pretty sure you get the good ending otherwise. Not sure if anything else matters.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ages back i saw someone write an interpretation of the f-censoring that makes some sense to me: harry literally does not know what homosexuality is, in that he’s so repressed that his post-annihilation brain is actively censoring homophonic slurs

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think they just don't want to make gay people sad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-legal-war-over-disco-elysium-reaches-disco-elysium-levels-of-complexity/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The short version of the narrative laid out in that article is that the money people wanted to do some fraud to gain control of the company and flip it to a US buyer (Microsoft, Amazon, someone) before the pesky creatives even noticed they'd lost control. Kurvitz et al. were fired when they noticed what was happening.

The specific maneuver by the money people was giving some concept art for Disco Elysium 2 to a third party studio, then using ZA/UM money to 'buy' that concept art back for a cool $5 million, then using the third party's $5 million to buy up the ZA/UM shares necessary to seize control.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Just the most obvious fraud on the planet.

quote:

How did it get to this point? One of the answers is relatively simple: four concept sketches of a man in a scarf, the first glimpses of a Disco Elysium sequel, which were allegedly bought last year for just over €1 by a shell company controlled by a ZA/UM executive, and then immediately re-sold to ZA/UM for €4.8 million.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
bUt KuRvItZ mIgHt Be MeAn

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So complicated. I wish we had all the details.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurvitz was No Angel

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's incredible that "don't listen to anything a greaseball finance guy tells you" is something so many people refuse to learn over and over lol

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Most games gently caress this kind of thing up, but Disco Elysium is really nailing its DLC content.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'll admit it, if that art deal is true then it's the most laughably obvious case of fraud. I don't know how they expected mere slander to distract from that bullshit if they knew it was coming out.

The word "allegedly" is still in there but that seems like a pretty provable assertion.

UP AND ADAM posted:

So complicated. I wish we had all the details.
I mean, these are the details, right? What once seemed ambiguous now seems a lot less ambiguous. That's how details work.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Oh no other people didn’t jump to the same admittedly correct conclusions I did, better be a smug douche about it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

i am a moron posted:

Oh no other people didn’t jump to the same admittedly correct conclusions I did, better be a smug douche about it

Unironically tho.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i am a moron posted:

Well it's a step up from trying to portray Wild Pines as the unfortunate victim in the whole affair, pulled into it by the criminal mastermind leading the corrupt union I guess

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just the most obvious fraud on the planet.

Nice to see Idiot Doom Spiral is still hanging in there

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

General Battuta posted:

The short version of the narrative laid out in that article is that the money people wanted to do some fraud to gain control of the company and flip it to a US buyer (Microsoft, Amazon, someone) before the pesky creatives even noticed they'd lost control. Kurvitz et al. were fired when they noticed what was happening.

The specific maneuver by the money people was giving some concept art for Disco Elysium 2 to a third party studio, then using ZA/UM money to 'buy' that concept art back for a cool $5 million, then using the third party's $5 million to buy up the ZA/UM shares necessary to seize control.

money *person*, seems like

which is good because the article mentions that all the other zaum shareholders etc will be voting on whether to open another proceeding against the guy for trying to steal their poo poo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

i am a moron posted:

You are indeed, a moron

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

No Dignity posted:

You are indeed, a moron

Aren't we all tho?

But yea especially them lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I thought I was mostly chill and ready to just wait for the drama and the legal proceeding to wrap up, but this article made me PUMPED and ORNERY again. Man gently caress these guys, get their rear end Robert.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That's the dumbest embezzlement scam I've ever heard of.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Volte posted:

That's the dumbest embezzlement scam I've ever heard of.

just grabbing the money and running is arguably dumber, but the thing with this one is that the guy absolutely thought he was being a big brain genius criminal mastermind

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Death to capitalism.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

i am a moron posted:

Such a jump. People really took a massive leap. I'm sure it appears that way if your ideology blinds you.

Heartening to see no intention of self-reflection or learning though.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

quote:

On the other side are Ilmar Kompus, the director and largest shareholder of Studio ZA/UM, and Tõnis Haavel. The Estonian Ekspress newspaper (opens in new tab) describes Haavel as a "smooth-talking ex-banker who was convicted of investment fraud in 2015 and received a seven-month suspended prison sentence." He was also an executive producer on Disco Elysium.
LMAO if he goes to jail for this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

i am a moron posted:

Why not? You got it wrong and you’re still somehow being a smug douche so it only seems fair

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

Q. How did your dev team get started?

A. We formed on the outer reaches of civilization, in god forsaken Eastern Europe. Out of poverty, strife, and obscure scandal. A bunch of never-beens, convicted financial criminals, failed science fiction authors and embittered oil painters. Some of us have been friends since childhood, some are new acquaintances. Honestly, I'd like to do an A-Team style motley crue introduction montage, but I don't wanna rat anyone out. (I just couldn't do us justice without giving out incriminating information.)

Let's just say, if this video game swindle doesn't work out, it'll be back to exile, prison and mobile gaming sweatshops for us.

The quote is pretty rich, given current events.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Eiba posted:

I'll admit it, if that art deal is true then it's the most laughably obvious case of fraud. I don't know how they expected mere slander to distract from that bullshit if they knew it was coming out.

Cause it worked just fine for many people on Twitter and even some people in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

embezzlement and fraud done with the subtlety of a furious elephant in a china shop. lol, and indeed, lmao

bob was hard to work with, though