Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Elise stuff

Are you the reason I have an AI connecting rod keychain? I’m pretty sure I know where it is still…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Maybe? I can’t recall. Aeka and another buddy got a piston and connecting rod from my Elise’s blown engine. I keep one in my office as a conversation starter.

That would have been a fun engine if it had lasted more than a few hundred miles. Top end had all the goodies and it was bored out to 1.9L. The 9:1 compression ratio meant I had to run a smaller pulley on the TVS 1320 to make similar power but it was still a strong setup.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I meant the machined aluminum keychain ones, someone with an Elise needed money and made them… I think. I’ll try to post a pic if I can find it.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Oh, definitely not me. I do have a super rare blackwatch racing key/fob combo that combines the separate OEM pieces. They stopped making those in 2011? It was cool to transfer that over to the Exige key when I got it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I meant the machined aluminum keychain ones, someone with an Elise needed money and made them… I think. I’ll try to post a pic if I can find it.

I'm 99% certain those were from Blooot.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm 99% certain those were from Blooot.

I would say you’re correct.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

meatpimp posted:

From what that car brought in the auction, I was absolutely wrong. Congratulations!

Thanks!

BraveUlysses posted:

fuuuuckin holy poo poo man. mind saying what you paid for it when you got it?

I paid 53k almost exactly 10 years ago. A nice return, but imagine if I invested that in a market index fund.

The auction was won by a Chinese businessman, so it took a while for the international wire transfer to clear to my satisfaction. I've been dealing with his secretaries/employees haha. His son is picking the car up on Friday.

I want to replace it with a Ferrari 308 with a bunch of miles on it and some scars so I won't feel bad about driving it. But I'm gonna wait for the car market to cool off a lot.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well you cant drive an index fund but you probably didnt drive it too much in any case

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Previa_fun posted:

this blew my mind at the time. Man, Adiabatic was a good mod. His "don't post about politics" bugged me at the time but if only I had known how insufferable the forums would become with politics in loving everything. Dude was right.

Thanks buddy :)

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

aventari posted:

Dweezil was hilarious, him and Le Tron Fu would routinely crack me up . I think they got tired of being banned for being funny and left. Don't blame them.

I think both got permabanned and run off, not left voluntarily. Douchebag Smiles was the one who posted a hilarious ban me thread that got deleted due to butthurt.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Does anyone remember the post where the woman said she thought her boyfriend was gay because he drove a Miata and he said he raced but "all they do is drive in circles around a bunch of cones in a parking lot?" I was thinking about that the other day and couldn't remember if it was in this forum or quoted from another car forum.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
IT'S CALLED PAX AND IT'S TOTALLY VALID

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Previa_fun posted:

Does anyone remember the post where the woman said she thought her boyfriend was gay because he drove a Miata and he said he raced but "all they do is drive in circles around a bunch of cones in a parking lot?" I was thinking about that the other day and couldn't remember if it was in this forum or quoted from another car forum.

It's somewhere in the first 100 pages of the Miata thread but I think it was just reposted from somewhere else.
drat now I want to go find it.

e: apparently it was GBS but I can't find the OP just the miata thread mention of it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2651683&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post335237381

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 13, 2022

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

taqueso posted:

It's somewhere in the first 100 pages of the Miata thread but I think it was just reposted from somewhere else.
drat now I want to go find it.

e: apparently it was GBS but I can't find the OP just the miata thread mention of it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2651683&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post335237381

Hahaha, thank you.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

back in the day minivanmegafun's avatar (the grill to a 3rd gen plymouth voyager) would make me cringe because, having been handed down one in college from my mom, it was the lamest vehicle a college age person could own. Now, seeing it, I'm filled with nostalgia for all of the good times I had in that hunk of junk and how it never left me stranded even with over 200k on the clock. 3 liter mitsu motor and 3 speed transmission was an unkillable combination in those vans, even if the motor drank a quart of NAPA's finest every tank of gas.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arson Daily posted:

back in the day minivanmegafun's avatar (the grill to a 3rd gen plymouth voyager) would make me cringe because, having been handed down one in college from my mom, it was the lamest vehicle a college age person could own. Now, seeing it, I'm filled with nostalgia for all of the good times I had in that hunk of junk and how it never left me stranded even with over 200k on the clock. 3 liter mitsu motor and 3 speed transmission was an unkillable combination in those vans, even if the motor drank a quart of NAPA's finest every tank of gas.

I wish I had a Minivan in college. I moved more in my life than before or after, often picked up free things from the road, and lived with roommates and could have enjoyed some privacy.

Also the girls I liked didn't care about cars.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

I always felt bad for inadvertently copying that guy's user name lol.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

it was a tossup between a previa or the voyager when my mom was shopping for a new car and the voyager won because the toyota was too expensive :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

it was a tossup between a previa or the voyager when my mom was shopping for a new car and the voyager won because the toyota was too expensive :(

My kids suffered their first 10 years in a Mazda 5 because of that reason. I made sure we got the Toyota Sienna SE for the second half of their childhood.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

I always felt bad for inadvertently copying that guy's user name lol.

I’m a girl lol

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

it’s actually a second gen, and was on an extended loan from my parents for part of college. It unfortunately had the 3.3L V6+four speed torqueflite, which is an absolute basketcase of a transmission.

I eventually bought my own minivan for $800 (a 1985 Toyota Van) and drove that thing all over the place, to and from Chicago to St. Louis for college, and a trip up to Atlanta and Copper Harbor Michigan for a couple rallys.

I sold it back in 2008 and bought a brand new VW Rabbit, which I’m still driving. My partner drove it from Chicago to San Francisco when I moved here, and I’ll be shipping it back when I move back to Chicago next year. It’s given me almost no trouble, so I’m barely ever posting in AI anymore.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I haven’t driven the Miata in four or five years. The Subaru is always in a state of maintenance catch-up and hasn’t really been driven in a few years. I just pushed it back outside to get back at some woodworking projects in the garage for winter. I’m bad at AI in my life too. I mean to do something again at some point.

As much as I miss the 323 and wished I would have kept it, parts are scarce as poo poo for it right now and not getting any better. Like finding plastic door handles and certain seals is NLA. It’s weird thinking everything I’ve learned and done has been in my dad’s old shop as a kid until my early 20s and then in that garage. It’s seen some serious poo poo over the years - last big one I turned a 13’ steel boat into a 15’.. there went a year of my life but learned a bunch.

I’m currently rebuilding my original AI workbench I built back in 2008-ish when I moved to the house and was posting a ton. It would have been much easier to start fresh, but this thing has seen like EVERY project I’ve done (or failed at) and had some serious sentimental value. I’m always working on something now, but it’s never fun car stuff.:geno:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

it’s actually a second gen, and was on an extended loan from my parents for part of college. It unfortunately had the 3.3L V6+four speed torqueflite, which is an absolute basketcase of a transmission.

I eventually bought my own minivan for $800 (a 1985 Toyota Van) and drove that thing all over the place, to and from Chicago to St. Louis for college, and a trip up to Atlanta and Copper Harbor Michigan for a couple rallys.

I sold it back in 2008 and bought a brand new VW Rabbit, which I’m still driving. My partner drove it from Chicago to San Francisco when I moved here, and I’ll be shipping it back when I move back to Chicago next year. It’s given me almost no trouble, so I’m barely ever posting in AI anymore.

ill be damned you're right. I thought the 2nd gen was the square body first gen with the non-sealed beam headlights. The first gen's were wild what with 5 speed manuals and turbo 2.2's available but there were also unicorn AWD 2nd gens too. Then in true chrysler fashion they gave up the lead and let the model wither and die by going over a decade for the 5th gen.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I miss the Sockington car reviews. The viper was something special.

Also Photos From the Road. I wonder how our AI truckers are doing these days.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I remember Toucan Sam’s stories about being a car thief and owning a COPO ZL1.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Apollo posted:

I remember Toucan Sam’s stories about being a car thief and owning a COPO ZL1.

I met Toucan Sam after he helped me with my Miata lawsuit. He was an absolute madman.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sharkytm posted:

DJCommie (whatup man)

Contrary to popular belief, I am still alive and doing things.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

DJ Commie posted:

Bro happy Thanksgiving! We need to do some crapcan Daihatsu racing again, I'm so happy you got me into racing Lemons/Chumpcar stuff way back when

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DJ Commie posted:

:whatup:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

:coolfish:

Its really amazing how many of these memories I had almost forgotten, but I definitely remember a lot of the posters (hi Muffinpox) and adventures. Anyhow, this thread is now about me

me

also me

Lightbulb Out posted:

Just found this picture of the time I met Revelations and DJ Commie driving Das Volks 190e across the US. Didn't it end up in a couple of goons hands?

also me

sharkytm posted:

and on a DVD called "Sharky's poo poo from [Wife's] PC", this photo, named "Goons1vp.jpg"

I'm pretty sure that's DJCommie in blue. I have no idea A) Where I got this image, or B) What's going on.

also me

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Whose WRX was it that I drove in LA when stayed with DJCommie and crew in I think Jan 06? That was a drat fun night and DJ really is a drat good person.

Never really found out why Redscare had a cricket bat.

I still owe you a steak dinner and it was likely because a cricket bat is best wielded by an angry Russian

meatpimp posted:

Has enough time passed to joke about him as DJcummie without him getting butthurt?

no :mad:

InitialDave posted:

That SA plate frame is in my study somewhere, he sent it to me for AISS.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did you have more than one, because you sent one to me for AISS :v:

To the UK and back is perfect for that

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dang.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I prefered DJCrummie tbh, but you can call me whatever you want :love:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Care to share what's going on in that picture?

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 25, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

aventari posted:

Bro happy Thanksgiving! We need to do some crapcan Daihatsu racing again, I'm so happy you got me into racing Lemons/Chumpcar stuff way back when

Same

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Care to share what's going on in that picture?

GBS goons, before I knew any AI people. It was awful.

aventari posted:

I need to talk to you about racing, I got the itch again.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 26, 2022

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Fun little nostalgia trip there friends, just found this & read it all evening since I never leave my bookmark list. Good to see old names float back in as well as getting updates on beautiful Monza writeups, giant Buicks from the 50's, ITRs, NSXs, and all the rest.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I miss toaster pastry threads. I can barely remember them at this point but remember them always being cool content wise. Hope he's well.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
I think for me it was the emotional roller coaster of dalablast and that mustang thread, then finding out he was a racist POS.

Mooecow's thread starting up and watching him build that chevy pickup and then the divco right after was classic AI for me.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I miss toaster pastry threads. I can barely remember them at this point but remember them always being cool content wise. Hope he's well.

Like ten years ago he showed up at my house in the midst of a TSD rally in a....all original split window Corvette. Bought it out of a storage unit for like 30k or something. That's a solid low six figure car now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

DJ Commie posted:

Like ten years ago he showed up at my house in the midst of a TSD rally in a....all original split window Corvette. Bought it out of a storage unit for like 30k or something. That's a solid low six figure car now

If I can get my poo poo together, youll be getting a visit from me in september when we race at the ranch

also, the day that guy crashed his bmw, do you remeber what car I showed up in? I remember it had just happened, then some dude had a brand new Lotus elise that I tried to get in and failed...