Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The NSDAP were the true moderates of the Weimar Republic if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, how long do you think it'll be before Elon goes full-on QAnon? It's the next logical step for him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mindless posted:

This is hosed. Anyone with enough money can now decide what free speech means. Modern media is so much more wide reaching and efficient than anything else before it. "The Internet makes you Stupid," is not a joke. Eat poo poo, Elon Musk.

You've fallen into the right's trap of "free speech"

Twitter has nothing to do with free speech

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
You see the profit eventually comes when

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

PITY BONER posted:

This sounds interesting. Do you happen to have any YouTubes about this?

Not youtube, and Kimdotcom is only a brief part of it, but you can read about the whole thing and the sequence of those operations here if you like.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
i just think a whole bunch of dark money's gonna keep twitter afloat after various attempts of other right wing social media flopped pretty hard.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

kazil posted:

His buyout added over a billion in debt per year so no

Yeah I guess the math doesn't work out. But Elon is making it worse in any case.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Armitage posted:

i just think a whole bunch of dark money's gonna keep twitter afloat after various attempts of other right wing social media flopped pretty hard.

i've seen ads for Palantir lately so the Thiel-bux are already coming in.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mindless posted:

This is hosed. Anyone with enough money can now decide what free speech means. Modern media is so much more wide reaching and efficient than anything else before it. "The Internet makes you Stupid," is not a joke. Eat poo poo, Elon Musk.
Have you ever heard of a man named Rupert Murdoch

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
Already covered

BigSexy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 23, 2022

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Trillhouse posted:

i've seen ads for Palantir lately so the Thiel-bux are already coming in.

I actually didn't really give it much thought when I said that he's siding with the chuds because that's where all the money and power is. After some recent thought I think he probably doesn't give a poo poo about losing advertisers because other billionaires are gonna keep the site afloat for years, lol.

He's long picked his side, but he's not going to admit it. He's gonna play coy for as long as possible because he thinks he's clever, but he's going to openly play ball with right wing provocateurs. I wouldn't be surprised if he brings Alex Jones back even though he said he wouldn't.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

BigSexy posted:

They had a net loss, and I think always have. They don’t make money

True, but it was losing money at a rate where an absurdly rich man probably could've kept it afloat more-or-less indefinitely or until it started being profitable. If he didn't pay an inflated meme price for the stock that saddled it with an extra billion dollars of debt per year. And if he didn't storm into the company, fire 75-80% of its staff and basically act like the biggest entitled manchild on God's earth.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Armitage posted:

I actually didn't really give it much thought when I said that he's siding with the chuds because that's where all the money and power is. After some recent thought I think he probably doesn't give a poo poo about losing advertisers because other billionaires are gonna keep the site afloat for years, lol.

He's long picked his side, but he's not going to admit it. He's gonna play coy for as long as possible because he thinks he's clever, but he's going to openly play ball with right wing provocateurs. I wouldn't be surprised if he brings Alex Jones back even though he said he wouldn't.

why would billionaires pay to keep the world's richest man's lovely website afloat?

even Elon isn't going to dump any more of his own money into it

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

kazil posted:

why would billionaires pay to keep the world's richest man's lovely website afloat?

It's still got the reach, for now anyway, that sites like Gab, Parler, and Truth Social don't have.

Hopefully it does die sooner, rather than later.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Twitter posted a net loss of $221 million in 2021. That includes a one-time payment of about $766 million to settle a class action lawsuit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Armitage posted:

It's still got the reach, for now anyway

but it's absolutely not going to make any one a single penny going forward, so no one with a pulse would invest further into the sinking ship

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

I figured that anyone who paid Musk enough would get access to anyone's/everyone's tweets and DMs.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It does feel ultimately it will trudge along limply like Thiel - owned gawker network in that it has some relevance but a quarter of the reputation

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Suddenly started getting a bunch of SpaceX posts in my timeline out of nowhere. I guess that massive $160.000 ad campaign is kicking in. I’ve already ordered my first space module! Can’t wait!

Edit: speaking of SpaceX
https://twitter.com/yoloption/status/1595213678147764224?s=46&t=ZNjCs_o8FT5mt-rGCt5U6Q
This makes so much sense, I absolutely believe this

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 23, 2022

Jeb!
Feb 3, 2016

My dad is the greatest man I've ever known and if you don't think so we can step outside.
Elon’s getting dunked on harder than I was!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

FirstnameLastname posted:

this is enough to make me actually log into my twitter account i never use and delete it

If you live in California, you might want to use the CCPA to demand they delete any data they have stored about you. When the inevitable data breach occurs I'd probably be nice if they didn't still have your data stored away somewhere.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I had pretty much zero opinion of elon musk before now. But now I'm actually looking forward to a world where volvo and vw are all electric and spacex actually has to be DFARS compliant to get government contracts.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I saw a space X ad and decided to invest all my money into the Iraqi dinar

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Steadiman posted:

Suddenly started getting a bunch of SpaceX posts in my timeline out of nowhere. I guess that massive $160.000 ad campaign is kicking in. I’ve already ordered my first space module! Can’t wait!

https://twitter.com/yoloption/status/1595213678147764224?s=46&t=ZNjCs_o8FT5mt-rGCt5U6Q

It's one of the good uses of middle management position. Where the entire point of the job is to protect your team from the obvious stupidity of upper management, people appreciate the position.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

golden bubble posted:

It's one of the good uses of middle management position. Where the entire point of the job is to protect your team from the obvious stupidity of upper management, people appreciate the position.
Why do we need good cop bad cop? Why can't we just have good cop good cop?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

zedprime posted:

Bad cop lucked into billions of dollars, or knows people who did.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

zedprime posted:

no such thing

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Steadiman posted:

I loving lost it at the last line. Good God read this poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Steadiman posted:

this reads like an episode synopsis of Silicon Valley, but like one of the good episodes and not the dozens of forgettable ones

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

zedprime posted:

you can just say cop

(they're bad)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

QuarkJets posted:

this reads like an episode synopsis of Silicon Valley, but like one of the good episodes and not the dozens of forgettable ones

Really Gavin would be a big step up from Elon

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Refreshing the Twitter careers page every 5 minutes so that I can be the first to apply for the position of Elon Wrangler.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

Managers have tried out being “the nice guy” for a couple of years as the workforce relaxed into sweatpants and Zoom calls during the pandemic. But it’s getting stale for leaders like Musk who are over the new way of work. He’s able to play by a different rulebook than other CEOs, Borchers writes, who are watching Musk’s “hardcore” tactics from the sidelines and wishing they could act the same.

gently caress all of this. Letting workers who could do their stuff remote SO THEY DIDN'T RISK DEATH FROM A PANDEMIC was not a huge concession as much as common human decency. It's not "nice guy", it's bare minimum to make sure their workforce didn't risk death. And, surprise, many jobs can be done in sweat pants. And it's fine. The alternative is literally asking workers to risk their lives for the sake of the company, which is a work philosophy that needs to be identified and mocked appropriately for how insane and inhumane it is.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

During my last performance evaluation my bosses told me that working remote my productivity increased lmao

I did yoga at zoom meetings

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Last Call posted:

CEOs who miss the old ways of work empathize with Elon Musk’s ‘hardcore’ tactics. They’re ‘tired of all the whining’

https://fortune.com/2022/11/22/ceos-secretly-support-elon-musk-twitter-tactics/

:fuckoff:

The Rich and C-levels, and especially the Rich C-levels are quite literally the enemy of the people.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

golden bubble posted:

The entire point of a manager is to be an umbrella protecting their team from the never ending deluge of sewerage pouring down from the company. It isn't to manage the underlings (that's the team lead's job) or to provide direction and mentorship (that's the team lead's job) or to even know how to do the teams job or even know what their job is (that's the team lead's job).

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
The weird "moderate" statement and the CNN change of ownership really feels like that democrat/republican ratchet meme in real time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol at palling around with one of the most pathetic right wing figures dinesh

I am genuinely unsure if you’re saying it’s sad to pal around with Dinesh, who is one of the most pathetic right wing figures, or if you're mocking Dinesh for palling around with one of the most pathetic right wing figures.

imo they deserve each other they also just deserve to be together far away from any platforms and money

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

priznat posted:

Really Gavin would be a big step up from Elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

All it would take to make that singature "Elon" would be a more accurate glans and two loops