Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I wonder what this thread feels about my ambitions to become a landowner someday. I want to own hectares upon hecaters of forest.

At least it's far away from everything nobody's gonna live there.

e: whoops, cat tax, my nephews cat. My nephew who became a landowner at 21 (he's a blue collar worker):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I’ve been following a homesteader on YouTube who made a hydropower turbine and a wind turbine for his farm and the idea of being free of bills and worrying about energy excess is such a dream

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

His Divine Shadow posted:

I wonder what this thread feels about my ambitions to become a landowner someday. I want to own hectares upon hecaters of forest.

The bad things about owning land are: keeping other people out, preventing them from having any say over what's done with it, and using the land in an environmentally destructive way. Owners don't actually have to do any of those things, so it's up to you how bad you want to be.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
At least in Finland we have allemansrätten, or "every mans right". So nobody can keep anybody out of the forest and you can go where you like and freely pick berries and mushrooms anywhere there regardless of who owns it.

The idea of a homestead and using small scale logging to get my own woodworking materials and managing my own forest in a nice eco friendly way is basically what's at the core of this fantasy. Not sure it's terribly realistic.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If I win the lottery properly, part of my plan is to buy every bit of land going on Sheppey and turn it into nice places - wildlife meadows, natural parks, equestrian riding places (these would have a fee for non-islanders to use.)

Probably something for bmxers and Motocross riders too, again free for islanders.

Also buy whatever land is required to link up the bridleways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Lots of people would build their own dwelling if land were not controlled and parceled out based on being to afford a large initial investment, that's why the stick of terrorizing the homeless and squatters is necessary, it is necessary that livable space be rendered unlivable via hostile architecture, policing, and demolition in order to force people into the housing market, from which any landlord benefits.
This is why all libertarians eventually become either anarchists, fascists, or flat earthers. Either land monopoly is wrong and the main driver of inequality, or there is some immutable ethnic or cultural aspect granting land right, or there is a bunch more land being hidden by NASA behind the ice wall.

At least in Finland we have allemansrätten, or "every mans right". So nobody can keep anybody out of the forest and you can go where you like and freely pick berries and mushrooms anywhere there regardless of who owns it.

The idea of a homestead and using small scale logging to get my own woodworking materials and managing my own forest in a nice eco friendly way is basically what's at the core of this fantasy. Not sure it's terribly realistic.
Can you leave the land to itself, like The Tree That Owns Itself?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

At least in the UK I believe you can place a covenant on a property when you sell it requiring that the purchaser actually live in it rather than rent it out. No idea if it’s possible to make that pass on to future sales, I assume there’s a way out of it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My brother has just bought an old stone cottage and the debate is what to do, insulate internally or no, can't externally.

There doesnt seem to be a correct answer.

Too bad, external insulation really would've been the way to go. Get that thermal mass separated from the outside. Nevermind all the issues with trying to add vapor barriers to an old house and hoping it's tight. Which is a thing you kinda need once insulation is added on the inside, if you add more than 50mm anyway. You could possibly add more by using something different than rockwool or glasswool. There are insulation materials that can absorb and release moisture without being ruined and turning to moldytown.
These might work for a stone cottage:

https://www.xella.co.uk/en_GB/Ytong-building-blocks

I couldn't find the exact Ytong block I was looking for in the UK, but even the less insulating ones would be a massive step up from simple stone. Like, ignoring the likely improvements to how draughty your house is, your heat loss through transmission could be reduced by like 80% through your stone walls by adding 100mm of the good blocks on the inside. And less heat loss through your facade also means your house will feel warmer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Can you leave the land to itself, like The Tree That Owns Itself?

Don't think that's possible, but I dunno. I think the most realistic thing is donating the land then to some conservation org that handles it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

At least in the UK I believe you can place a covenant on a property when you sell it requiring that the purchaser actually live in it rather than rent it out. No idea if it’s possible to make that pass on to future sales, I assume there’s a way out of it.

I know gently caress all about the legal side but having just sold a leasehold home it sounds like exactly the sort of cuntery that can be accomplished that way.

Edit: Not suggesting OP is a oval office or this particular idea is cuntery. Just that cuntery can be and is achieved through leashold.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 23, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder!, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required to show that the power to remove a man's mind, will, and personality, is the power of life and death, and that it makes a man a slave. It is murder. Why, then, to this other question: What is property? may I not likewise answer, It is cuntery!, without the certainty of being misunderstood; the second proposition being no other than a transformation of the first?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

These might work for a stone cottage:

https://www.xella.co.uk/en_GB/Ytong-building-blocks

I couldn't find the exact Ytong block I was looking for in the UK, but even the less insulating ones would be a massive step up from simple stone. Like, ignoring the likely improvements to how draughty your house is, your heat loss through transmission could be reduced by like 80% through your stone walls by adding 100mm of the good blocks on the inside. And less heat loss through your facade also means your house will feel warmer.

Why add another layer of structural blocks rather than the equivalent depth of insulating boards? I don't see the advantage

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

create a big craft space op, and if possible use the space as a local community hub as well as a place where you can make stuff to sell. maybe you'll meet someone who likes doing the marketing/selling

interesting that the thread focuses entirely on The Landlord Question side of the equation rather than the concept of doing anything practical, but there you go

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ytong Clad - Protect ya Brick

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just had the best idea for 99s brother, build a huge greenhouse that completely encloses the house and the yard :v: Then he could make a thread here about it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
regards a lot of the electricity/grid chat of about a week ago-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpC4fH3mEk

this is a pretty good video on the poo poo that can happen if the grid falls over hard

tldr, it ain't good

regards covenants, a lot of "cheap" woodland plots are sold with quiet little covenants that don't allow you to do pretty much anything with the land- fairly common for people looking to homestead/bushcraft a bit jump on a cheap seeming bit of land without reading the paperwork fully and then find out the ownership is pretty much in name only and about as useful as the few feet of scotland that laphroaig say I own

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why add another layer of structural blocks rather than the equivalent depth of insulating boards? I don't see the advantage
They're not super dense structural blocks, so their ability to insulate is actually pretty good - especially the ones I have failed to find on the UK site. The best "blocks" (closer to a mix between a block and a board really) they produce have the same insulating properties as a timberframe structure with rockwool insulation. Combine that with having nice properties with regards to moisture transport and being easy to assemble in a way that effectively stops draughts and you get a product that's just a lot easier to actually use.

Insulating boards are for sure an option too, but there are some potential pitfalls (price/flammability/vulnerability to builders or homeowners loving up) that are much less of a concern for the blocks.

I just had the best idea for 99s brother, build a huge greenhouse that completely encloses the house and the yard :v: Then he could make a thread here about it.
There are probably some local ordinances preventing this, but that could legit help too with your heating bill. Speaking from professional experience, this actually works even in what in Britain would be considered extremely insulated houses, the advantage to doing this in a lovely old house would be way more pronounced. Especially given that this would take advantage of the stone structure. Even outside cutting down heating costs, the climate within the greenhouse should end up being positively Mediterranean, given that it'd essentially be heated by a giant stone radiator, assuming it was built properly.

Obvious caveat: You need some effective automatic natural ventilation for the greenhouse, otherwise you're going to come home to a house that has been heated up to like 45°C and will take a literal month to cool down again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Got my DWP tribunal in 5 minutes, send good thoughts, bricks, whatever.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Picture them all getting sounded

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Supreme Court just ruled.

Watch Sturgeon start a loving war.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're not super dense structural blocks, so their ability to insulate is actually pretty good - especially the ones I have failed to find on the UK site. The best "blocks" (closer to a mix between a block and a board really) they produce have the same insulating properties as a timberframe structure with rockwool insulation. Combine that with having nice properties with regards to moisture transport and being easy to assemble in a way that effectively stops draughts and you get a product that's just a lot easier to actually use.

Insulating boards are for sure an option too, but there are some potential pitfalls (price/flammability/vulnerability to builders or homeowners loving up) that are much less of a concern for the blocks.

There are probably some local ordinances preventing this, but that could legit help too with your heating bill. Speaking from professional experience, this actually works even in what in Britain would be considered extremely insulated houses, the advantage to doing this in a lovely old house would be way more pronounced. Especially given that this would take advantage of the stone structure. Even outside cutting down heating costs, the climate within the greenhouse should end up being positively Mediterranean, given that it'd essentially be heated by a giant stone radiator, assuming it was built properly.

Obvious caveat: You need some effective automatic natural ventilation for the greenhouse, otherwise you're going to come home to a house that has been heated up to like 45°C and will take a literal month to cool down again.

I don't have positive experiences of aerated blocks and I don't think they are at all the right material to use to internally insulate an existing stone building.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't have positive experiences of aerated blocks and I don't think they are at all the right material to use to internally insulate an existing stone building.

Care to expand? (Here or in your fail thread) I have 2 layers of aerated blocks in my extension and they seem to make a snug, dry and stable box to live in, but I've never heard of anyone using them to insulate an existing stone structure.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Insulating the roof/loft space is almost always the quickest, cheapest and most efficient way of reducing heat loss from a stone building. Shortly followed by decent (and well fitted) doors and windows. After that you want to start looking at studwork for a cavity and then insulating walls, I'm a big fan of sheep wool for wall/loft insulation given that it's cheap and more environmentally friendly than foam and foil insulation like Celotex

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

keep punching joe posted:

Independence (from Europe) for me, not (from the UK) for thee.

I think it'll only strengthen the independence movements in all the RoUK countries: "look at these English Establishment shits keeping us down!"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

tldr, it ain't good

I had a good chuckle at the "raw sewage might be discharged into the sea!" bit

anyway back to life here on hell island

edit:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Good luck!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I mean, the verdict wasn't really a surprise I think. Traditionally the way to achieve independence from the UK (or for any other sub-internationally-defined-state entity from said state) is, well, yes, a loving war, ask Ireland or the US.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone got any more personal advice than NHS or Google for possibly helping someone with and helping family acknowledge dementia? We're reasonably sure our grandmother (their mother) has it, she's been losing coherence a little the last few months but over the last couple days and especially this morning, it's been like a rancid little goblin has been squatting in her brain and the person I used to know has been evicted. Unfortunately she's never been the sort to go to the doctor or hospital on her own accord and I feel she'll fight any suggestion we have very hard. Obviously we'll have to get together and figure something out.

Out of curiosity I googled "do people with dementia" and autocomplete filled it out with "rummage" and reading the description, that tallied pretty perfectly with some of the behaviour I notice occasionally lately. Obviously I'm aware of the "person who has googled a thing and is sure they/someone else they know has the thing" phenomenon so I'm not going to fall into that and say it's definitely dementia but it has sort of clicked a bit.

She has a very stressful life which probably doesn't help, she kinda chooses to make it that way a little since she has a lot of folks who would help but whenever they do, she just says they didn't do it well enough, undoes it and does it her way and she gets up way earlier than she needs to to do stuff she doesn't need to do at all, let alone that early. She gets very stressed when people phone on the home phone because it's nearly always a scam these days of course, I've managed to stop her from giving someone her bank details at least 3 times. Though I don't think that is because of any condition, she always believed people saying stuff on the phone even when she was 50something (now she's 84), just has that personality type but obviously she'd be more susceptible these days, hell everyone is with how sneaky these fucks can be.

Obviously I'm worried about her losing a bunch of money but more seriously hurting herself moving around or trying to cook or whatever when no one is around, I used to work from home all the time but now don't and when I do I have to wear headphones in my office a lot of the time, I can justify not doing that with this of course but still there's going to be times when no one is around especially as I was looking for a job that wouldn't be working from home. The last few days she became sure that someone was coming round to "check the house" so she cleaned relentlessly on Monday and today decided to throw out a bunch of other peoples stuff that isn't to be thrown out, if someone hadn't stopped her it would have been £700-800 or more in the bin, in the rain and some of the stuff can't be replaced, I legit almost threw up as a stress response when I realised how close it was, something I haven't ever done. It's just stuff I know but pissing away a bunch of money for no reason, I can't deal with that especially right now. We aren't actually sure if someone from the council or housing association actually did phone and make an appointment, if it was a scam or if she's just imagined it or got a date wrong.

I suspect/know the advice will be what NHS says, just needed to vent a bit I think. Get it out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Martin Lewis show this evening a bit grim on next year's fuel costs.

What I don't entirely understand about this is bulk gas costs are apparently down now, partly because of the winter being milder than expected. I guess the power companies have contracts locked in at a certain price for <x> months, but those do have to expire eventually.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Call adult disability social services thebardyspoon

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pretty sure there was a Grand Designs episode featuring something similar

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

thebardyspoon posted:

Difficult stuff

I do not have any advice, but that sounds really difficult and she is fortunate to have you looking out for her.

I have been lucky that both my grandmothers, now affected by severe forgetfulness, seem to acknowledge it. One has even got nicer.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

Care to expand? (Here or in your fail thread) I have 2 layers of aerated blocks in my extension and they seem to make a snug, dry and stable box to live in, but I've never heard of anyone using them to insulate an existing stone structure.

They're a crumbly weak waste of time. My whole place is cavity walls with 2 leaves of aerated blocks too. I would never do this again. Re: insulating existing structure, no me either and additionally you'll end up with the inner leaf of your newly lined walls being nigh impossible to firmly fix anything to.

All my internal walls are single skin 100mm aerated blocks and it is an honest shock that none of them have fallen down yet. You can put your hand on the middle of the wall and shake the whole wall.

They've cracked and split under every window cill which again if you Google is a known issue to do with the difference between the load weight either side.

They were supposed to have acoustic properties but I'm pretty dubious about that claim too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LOL at Sturgeon doing anything that radical. Loves the law do the SNP.

Result seemed a foregone conclusion.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1595362008072863746

:allears:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Could someone who knows employment/labour law explain to me exactly why working to rule is a thing that needs to be balloted for by unions and which bosses are able to threaten punitive action for (as many uni VCs are doing atm by saying they will withhold pay from anyone who engaged in action short of a strike). Working to the exact terms of your contract and refusing to do more, while perhaps overly rigid and a bit silly in normal non-strike times, is surely perfectly acceptable on strict contractual grounds. You're performing the labour you agreed to perform, no more no less. If I agreed to cut exactly 100 logs per day it feels pretty dumb that my employer could threaten to not pay me when I subsequently refused to cut 120. Idk.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Could someone who knows employment/labour law explain to me exactly why working to rule is a thing that needs to be balloted for by unions and which bosses are able to threaten punitive action for (as many uni VCs are doing atm by saying they will withhold pay from anyone who engaged in action short of a strike). Working to the exact terms of your contract and refusing to do more, while perhaps overly rigid and a bit silly in normal non-strike times, is surely perfectly acceptable on strict contractual grounds. You're performing the labour you agreed to perform, no more no less. If I agreed to cut exactly 100 logs per day it feels pretty dumb that my employer could threaten to not pay me when I subsequently refused to cut 120. Idk.

(is not a qualified legal expert)

It's partly to keep a legal record that you're strictly working to rule as a result of your union's reaction to an employer's unreasonable behaviour, ie you personally didn't instigate the circumstances which led to the dispute. Individual member votes are 'filtered out' by the union itself making the final decision to take collective action, with which union members are required to comply. This shields members from being directly assigned responsibility and individuals can't therefore be blamed for poor performance/attitude provided they are reasonably working within the parameters of their contract.

Without balloting etc you have individuals responsible for making their own decision to protest, which is usually solved by firing someone and expecting them to take their chances at a tribunal months/years later. This is usually justified as 'poor performance' and contrasted against the results of other employees who are willing to work overtime. Collective action provides greater pressure as the employer has to deal with the union rather than individuals, and are likely more willing to be reasonable with someone carrying a bigger stick.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah aiui it's more a power dynamic thing than a strictly written law thing. If you could afford a bigger legal team and more tribunals than your employer then you could work to rule whenever you wanted, but that's not the usual employer-employee dynamic for a reason, and is more the realm of two companies in dispute over a contract.

Thus the history of the trade union movement.

https://twitter.com/connellyandrew/status/1595188310489563136

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

(not legal opinion) I think some of it that a lot of companies abuse nebulous conditions for work and don't have strict targets or indicators so when you actually do work to rule it can shut down a lot of stuff they just fluffed their way through.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
under a balloted action, the trade union can legally discipline members who refuse to participate in the action, even if those members spoke out against or voted against the action

if you do not ballot, then your legal options to stop a picket crossing are limited to social sanction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Actually very small.