Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
it’s also down to 13.49 on Switch at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

it’s also down to 13.49 on Switch at least

Quick Google says that cross platform is supported for online leagues as well.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Popete posted:

Quick Google says that cross platform is supported for online leagues as well.

Saw the sale and have it sitting in my cart. Played a decent amount of an earlier version of the game and enjoyed it. VERY arcadey, if anyone's not aware.

Not idea if I'd have time to commit to playing a season or not - whatever that may entail.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Again I'd have to dive into and play the game more myself to really figure out how the season mode works but I am envisioning a low committal thing. Maybe play 1 or 2 matches per week, could put it to poll and figure out what works best for people but I'd prefer it be something that wouldn't take more than say an hour a week to play.

And yes the game is very arcadey, games can be shortened to just 3 innings as well. There is a free demo if anyone wants to check it out first.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oh man, I should break out my switch copy again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Give me multiplayer 2020 Super Baseball and I’ll never play any other baseball game. Except maybe Pawapuro.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Popete posted:

Again I'd have to dive into and play the game more myself to really figure out how the season mode works but I am envisioning a low committal thing. Maybe play 1 or 2 matches per week, could put it to poll and figure out what works best for people but I'd prefer it be something that wouldn't take more than say an hour a week to play.

And yes the game is very arcadey, games can be shortened to just 3 innings as well. There is a free demo if anyone wants to check it out first.

I'll pick up up later tonight / tomorrow. Got a load of pennies to farm selling steam cards first.

This goes through some of the online things, though I can't say I read enough to really understand it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SuperMegaBaseball/comments/foxd84/super_mega_baseball_3_faq/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Minor league gold gloves were announced today: https://www.mlb.com/news/2022-minor-league-gold-glove-award-winners

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1595122178478854144

Giants have the next Nolan Arenado coming, you heard it here first :v:

This is a funny comp since Arenado was seen as a lovely fielder for a long time, wasn't he?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A little late but re The Athletic, the Pirates beat writer is complete dogshit. One of the dumbest people in sports media, it’s still a shock that they hired him. Just because of that I’ll never pay for it as long as Biertempfel remains on staff. That said I use my friend’s login credentials to read other stuff on there sometimes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Popete posted:

Been meaning to try an SMB so downloading on Switch now, would be down for something like this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Angels traded some minor leaguers to Milwauke for Hunter Renfrow

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Mike Trout's going to get 800 ABs next year by batting for Hunter and himself in the 90 games he is healthy for.

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1595261335163621376?t=m9sHpGTSYPJCzbdPUlficA&s=19

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's crazy that Renfroe is on his fifth team in five years. He's pretty good. Is he a jerk?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
as a big believer in nominative determinism I would like to congratulate the Angels for getting something in return for a pitcher named Junk

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sometimes alliteration really makes a name pop, and Janson Junk is a fuckin great example.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The first headline I saw was "Brewers trade Renfroe for Junk" and I thought it was tongue and cheek like they made some really lovely trade, but no that's just the other guy's name lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's a great name for a pitcher and I hope a cub hits a dinger off him.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Guess that solves the David Stearns mystery; he doesn’t want to be associated with a sell-off while looking for a job with Houston or New York.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Popete posted:

Super Mega Baseball 3 is currently on deep discount for the Steam sale. I just picked it up myself not having played since the first game. It's a fun arcade baseball game that also allows for multiplayer leagues with team/roster management.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/988910/Super_Mega_Baseball_3/

Anyone interested in doing a Goon franchise league? I could put together a thread if there is enough interest. Not sure how the format would work just yet as I need to dive into the game a bit more myself.
It’s arcadey but still fun. During lockdown I put about 1,000 hours into 8 or 9 full single player seasons in SMB2 and SMB3.

I am now doing a joke season where all of my players have maxed stats and my goal is to average over 50 runs a game / get one player to 1,000 RBI.

Also, SMB3 is the only game that has ever made me wince and feel bad when you line something back up the middle and knock the pitcher out. Something about the sound of impact and movement of the rag doll is horrifying.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I heard Super Mega Baseball 2 was a completely different game in Japan

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

more falafel please posted:

I heard Super Mega Baseball 2 was a completely different game in Japan

They called it Doki Doki Ding Dong.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

live with fruit posted:

It's crazy that Renfroe is on his fifth team in five years. He's pretty good. Is he a jerk?

Apparently he was on a podcast and made a remark about not listening to hitting coaches or believing in analytics, I'm sure front offices know more about it than the public.

https://twitter.com/JaymesL/status/1595264118772072448?s=20&t=QxAmJIpHTYXVRj9rpHXZRA

The Angels are stacking the deck with players with last names that start with Ren.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Good Dog posted:

Apparently he was on a podcast and made a remark about not listening to hitting coaches or believing in analytics, I'm sure front offices know more about it than the public.

https://twitter.com/JaymesL/status/1595264118772072448?s=20&t=QxAmJIpHTYXVRj9rpHXZRA

The Angels are stacking the deck with players with last names that start with Ren.

Kylo is next

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Los Angeles Knights of Ren

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Popete posted:

The Los Angeles Knights of Ren

The LA Ren Faire

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

secular woods sex posted:

It’s arcadey but still fun. During lockdown I put about 1,000 hours into 8 or 9 full single player seasons in SMB2 and SMB3.

I am now doing a joke season where all of my players have maxed stats and my goal is to average over 50 runs a game / get one player to 1,000 RBI.

Also, SMB3 is the only game that has ever made me wince and feel bad when you line something back up the middle and knock the pitcher out. Something about the sound of impact and movement of the rag doll is horrifying.

I picked it up last night and I have no idea what's up but I absolutely can't hit for poo poo. Was bombing HRs in SMB2 and haven't hit a single one in practice mode yet.

So basically, I think I'll be roleplaying the A's or something.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

:kiddo: question - does the player trading go on all the way to sprint training/the start of the season, or is there a cutoff date?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Clarence posted:

:kiddo: question - does the player trading go on all the way to sprint training/the start of the season, or is there a cutoff date?

The only trade deadline is the mid season one at the end of July. However, teams don't generally do much trading (at least of big-league players) after ~spring training in a usual offseason.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Can trading restart after the regular season or after the playoffs?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mike Maddux is coming back to be the Rangers pitching coach. This is good news.

Coincidence he comes back after Jon Daniels is gone? I dunno, but good lord there seems to have been no shortage of bad blood in that front office for a while there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

Can trading restart after the regular season or after the playoffs?

As I remember it you used to be able to make a trade after the deadline of anyone not on a 40 man roster or who cleared waivers. They took away the waiver thing but I think you can still move non-40 man minor leaguers. I believe you can start moving 40 man players after the World Series ends same as when Free Agency and 40 man rosters clocks start.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah the opening of trade season is officially 9AM Eastern the day after the last game of the World Series and this continues until the trade deadline

You just generally see them come in flurries clustered around GM meetings and the trade deadline itself for relatively obvious reasons

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You can (and teams have! For example the Cubs traded for a guy named like masturbatony) right now. But big trades and free agent signings tend to happen during and after the GMs have their winter meetings that are in early December.

The last few non-lockout years have had teams waiting to make big signings as a sort of soft collusion against spending money, but it feels like this year could be a frenzy if Judge signs quickly.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

You can (and teams have! For example the Cubs traded for a guy named like masturbatony) right now. But big trades and free agent signings tend to happen during and after the GMs have their winter meetings that are in early December.

The last few non-lockout years have had teams waiting to make big signings as a sort of soft collusion against spending money, but it feels like this year could be a frenzy if Judge signs quickly.

Yeah, the entire market will likely be waiting on Judge and to a lesser extent, Correa. So once the Cubs sign both of them, the rest of the league can fight over what's left.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shinjobi posted:

Absolutely baffled by the decision to hire Moore, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Inspector_666 posted:

Absolutely baffled by the decision to hire Moore, though.

it's the Rangers, they can't just sit back and make winning decisions all the time

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Will never 100% believe he's actually Greg's brother

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t really understand why the Cardinals let him go.

Athletic chat: thanks for the info, I’m checking out a trial of it now :)

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

live with fruit posted:

A corner outfielder who can hit 30 dingers, but doesn't get on base a ton or play great defense, is pretty replaceable. Useful to have around, but teams don't love paying those guys when they hit arb. Eddie Rosario, Adam Duvall, guys like that. They tend to get non-tendered and bounce around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Rays officially released Brendan McKay earlier. I remember him getting a ton of hype for a few years until his arm exploded and he never really recovered.