Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

While I am one of these, my own interior perceptibly issues have more to do with acid reflux.
Steal 👏 better 👏 organs 👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

As a possessor of some... let's call them "non-factory parts", I can't decide if I should limply try to be offended at organ harvesting jokes or if I should embrace my new role as a living ghoul.

"Living ghoul" is sounding pretty fun.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Every time I've tried to parse Legends of the Wulin, my brain has just refused to understand it. I'm not sure if it's down to the rules, the way the rules are presented or down to me, but I just cannot manage it.

I put an incredible amount of effort into parsing and running the sample adventure for the downright recondite Weapons of the Gods, so Wulin seemed much easier to grasp, but I am extremely Jenna Moran poisoned at this point and have run Continuum more then once so my mind has likely been bent out of shape by so many tomes of forbidden wisdom.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Continuum’s a different ball game. It’s clear how to run most of it (except the Greatest Game), it just has some completely crazy requirements in the process and makes it a pain to work out what the PCs should do.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

As a possessor of some... let's call them "non-factory parts", I can't decide if I should limply try to be offended at organ harvesting jokes or if I should embrace my new role as a living ghoul.

"Living ghoul" is sounding pretty fun.
...I can't help but notice that you haven't explicitly stated the nature of this possession

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

These are also signs of hypertension + cholesterol build up.

that and cancer or blood clots were what i would always assume it was any time my heart beat a little odd or some food moved through my guts a little weird

Splicer posted:

Oy maybe you're an edgy decaying organ thieving monster

i do actually have it bc of a genetic disease that makes my connective tissues weaker, so potentially i could end up with 'cadaver ligament grafts' if my joints get too loose, which i guess makes me reasonably close. because im weird it does actually help me psychologically to think of it as a dark curse from elder gods instead of just being an unusually achy and tired person

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

...I can't help but notice that you haven't explicitly stated the nature of this possession

They keep me alive. Mostly.

I like to imagine I’m like a cyborg but it’s all biological. An orgorg.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not sure if it's down to the rules, the way the rules are presented

Yes :v: I love Legends of the Wulin and it's just not written or laid out well.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

NachtSieger posted:

The Secret Art stuff is real bad, but like, the basic dice mechanics, skill checks and combat stuff, the loresheets, the kung fu styles- I felt like all of that read pretty easy. The loresheets are a big chunk of text, to be fair.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 25, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Every time I've tried to parse Legends of the Wulin, my brain has just refused to understand it. I'm not sure if it's down to the rules, the way the rules are presented or down to me, but I just cannot manage it.

same, tbh

At least the fluff owns

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone have anything good to say about Light, Nova or Slayers, all by Gila RPGs? I thought the Slayers ashcan was interesting if flawed (I've not seen the final version), and I've liked the bits and pieces I've seen of Lumen stuff over time (Infinite Revolver is very cool). He has them on sale as part of the Creator Day sale and I'm debating whether to pick some or all of them up.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My opinion is that the good and/or interesting Lumen stuff is being done by other people (e.g. Blazing Hymn or In Extremis) and the really good Lumen stuff doesn't exist yet but is coming.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Well, I picked up the bundle with Slayers/Light/Nova and then bought Blazing Hymn on top of that because gently caress yeah, Symphogear.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

NachtSieger posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I did a FATAL & Friends review a while back where I tried to break down and reorganize the rules presentation of Legends of the Wulin that seemed to help some folks get it. Starts here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&userid=190101&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post513716731

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had a rainy day yesterday so we spent a lot of time playing “Lego minifig adventure” aka super simple DnD. Teaching my daughter to be the DM while we play with her brothers.

A couple of dice and some Lego and you can have fun anywhere. Here we are rolling for initiative on our attempt to board the pirate ship in rough waves.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Had a rainy day yesterday so we spent a lot of time playing “Lego minifig adventure” aka super simple DnD. Teaching my daughter to be the DM while we play with her brothers.

A couple of dice and some Lego and you can have fun anywhere. Here we are rolling for initiative on our attempt to board the pirate ship in rough waves.

I regret to inform you that one of your children appears to be a large doggo.

(That looks like a really fun way to spend a rainy day with the kids and good on you : beats the hell out of Monopoly.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I did a FATAL & Friends review a while back where I tried to break down and reorganize the rules presentation of Legends of the Wulin that seemed to help some folks get it. Starts here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&userid=190101&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post513716731

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct link

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Signal-boosting this, if you still have a Stupid Newbie or blank avatar, this is a cool thread spinning up in GBS where other posters will draw YOU an avatar (and you'll get it, for free!) based on your prompt and/or their whimsy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018526

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

devmd01 posted:

Lego was actually doing a D&D contest this reminded me of.
https://ideas.lego.com/search/global_search/challenges?phase=gathering_support&query=&sort=top&tag=dungeons%20and%20dragons

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Xiahou Dun posted:

I regret to inform you that one of your children appears to be a large doggo.

(That looks like a really fun way to spend a rainy day with the kids and good on you : beats the hell out of Monopoly.)

We nearly had some deus ex machina events where I kept the dog from rolling around enough to destroy the set.

The first time we played I was solo parenting while my wife was on a girlfriends trip last year, it easily took up 8+ hours of our weekend. We explored magical forests, ice caves, and the final dragon boss fight had realistic fire damage effects. A+ would recommend playing with your kids, they really get into the dice rolls. :3:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 29, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my goodness that last picture. That's so great!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Hope you had a blast and nobody learned to ask how many feet everything was.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

devmd01 posted:

We nearly had some deus ex machina events where I kept the dog from rolling around enough to destroy the set.

The first time we played I was solo parenting while my wife was on a girlfriends trip last year, it easily took up 8+ hours of our weekend. We explored magical forests, ice caves, and the final dragon boss fight had realistic fire damage effects. A+ would recommend playing with your kids, they really get into the dice rolls. :3:

This is adorable but I'm scared for your Lego dudes :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sorry, you’ve got that backwards

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
sued?

(yes, I know you were making a god/dog joke)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The new Chat GPT model can generate legal Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder characters.

quote:

Generate a character sheet for a level 6 elf wizard in Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition.

Name: Elara
Race: Elf
Class: Wizard
Level: 6

Ability Scores:

Strength: 8
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 10

Saving Throws:

Fortitude: +3
Reflex: +6
Will: +6

Armor Class: 15
Initiative: +2

Skills:

Spellcraft: +8
Knowledge (arcana): +8
Knowledge (nature): +8
Knowledge (dungeoneering): +8
Perception: +4

Feats:

Scribe Scroll
Spell Focus (evocation)

Spells:

Known: 5 1st-level, 4 2nd-level, 2 3rd-level
Prepared: 4 1st-level, 3 2nd-level, 1 3rd-level

Equipment:

Quarterstaff
Leather armor
Backpack
Spellbook
Component pouch
Scroll case
Quiver with 20 arrows
Spell component pouch
Rations (10 days)
Waterskin
Bedroll
Flask of oil
Sunrod (2)
Flask of alchemist's fire (2)
Tindertwig (5)
Grappling hook
50 feet of silk rope
Mirror

quote:

Pick out her known spells, her prepared spells, and generate a background for her in the Greyhawk setting.

Known Spells:

Magic Missile
Burning Hands
Mage Armor
Detect Magic
Identify
Scorching Ray
Invisibility
Arcane Eye
Fireball
Lightning Bolt

Prepared Spells:

Magic Missile
Burning Hands
Detect Magic
Identify
Scorching Ray
Invisibility
Arcane Eye

Background:
Elara is a member of the Moonflower clan, a group of elves who reside in the depths of the Verdant Forest. She was born with a natural talent for magic, and at a young age, she was sent to the Tower of High Sorcery in the city of Palanthas to study the arcane arts. She spent many years at the tower, learning from the greatest elven wizards in the land.

After completing her training, Elara decided to venture out into the world to put her skills to the test. She traveled throughout the lands of Greyhawk, offering her services as a wizard for hire. She has had many adventures and has made many powerful enemies along the way, but she remains determined to continue her journey and hone her magical abilities.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It looks like a banner at PAX-U prematurely announced that there's going to be a Gloomhaven RPG coming!

The stream (on the pax channel on twitch) which was supposed to announce it will start in an hour. Oops.

I can tell you it is no kind of D&D clone, 5e sourcebook, etc. But if you ever wanted a Vermling Brute or an Inox Mindthief, it's gonna be there.

I'm super excited - the world needs more tactical RPGs, imo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

The new Chat GPT model can generate legal Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder characters.

This sounds super cool, but I'm not getting it to work...

is there some configuration I'm missing...?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Is this the right place for board game recommendations? I'm looking for something in the vein of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Basic idea is something that can be played by 2 to around 5ish players (solo not required but might a bonus), pub friendly (so no hundreds of tiny bits or poo poo that takes a whole dinner table) and simple rules and gameplay. Mythos Tales seems to be very much SHCD but Ctulhu. Has anyone played it?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have Mythos Tales. The couple of cases I've done were decent, but the writing is a very noticeable tier below SHCD

There's really not much like it really. Chronicles of Crime is good but I'm not sure if it's pub friendly. There are plenty of videos of it online so you can judge for yourself if it's too much table stuff

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Is this the right place for board game recommendations? I'm looking for something in the vein of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Basic idea is something that can be played by 2 to around 5ish players (solo not required but might a bonus), pub friendly (so no hundreds of tiny bits or poo poo that takes a whole dinner table) and simple rules and gameplay. Mythos Tales seems to be very much SHCD but Ctulhu. Has anyone played it?

You can come to the Board Game thread.

Now, when you say you've played SHCD, there are multiple boxes so I don't know if maybe you've just played original box The Thames Murders. Have you tried the fourth box from 2020 called SHCD: Baker Street Irregulars? If you haven't, then drop everything and get it. It is the same SHCD formula except but it's with some creative innovations that makes it even better. I cannot say enough good things about this game.

They aren't the same, but you could also look into the Exit series or the Unlock series of games, thought they're more puzzle-based than being rooted in narrative logical deduction. I've gotten on well with the Exit series and not had the same success with the Unlock series, but they might be worth a try.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Echo what others said. Mythos is decent and has some cute ideas but is overall just not as good. Definitely make sure you played all the Sherlock ones first.

Also The Quiet Year is an amazing bar game. It only needs simple things (paper, pens, cards) so it lived in my work bag for years and years for just that purpose.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

This sounds super cool, but I'm not getting it to work...

is there some configuration I'm missing...?
No. I just copy/pasted my prompt in again and got a "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" answer, so I pressed the try again button and it spit out a character sheet like it did before.

quote:

Generate a character sheet for a level 7 human rogue in Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition.
Name: Jack Swift

Race: Human

Class: Rogue

Level: 7

Ability Scores:

Strength: 14 (+2)
Dexterity: 18 (+4)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 14 (+2)

Skills:

Acrobatics: +11
Athletics: +7
Bluff: +9
Diplomacy: +9
Intimidate: +9
Perception: +8
Stealth: +11
Thievery: +11

At-Will Powers:

Sly Flourish: +11 vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage
Positioning Strike: +11 vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage, target is marked until end of Jack's next turn

Encounter Powers:

Trick Strike: +11 vs. AC, 2d6+4 damage and target is knocked prone
Dancing Lights: Jack creates a distraction, allowing allies to make a stealth check to hide

Daily Powers:

Acrobatic Strike: +11 vs. AC, 3d8+4 damage and Jack can shift 2 squares
Masterful Disguise: Jack can alter his appearance to look like anyone he has seen before

Equipment:

Rapier
Shortbow
Leather armor
Thieves' tools
Poison vial (paralyzing poison)
50 gold pieces
Jack Swift is a character in the Eberron setting. He learned to be a rogue from a talking frog. Write his background.
Jack Swift grew up in the streets of Sharn, the city of towers. As a young boy, he quickly learned that survival meant relying on his quick wits and nimble fingers. He was an adept pickpocket and skilled at slipping through the shadows unnoticed.

One day, as he was rummaging through the trash for food, he stumbled upon a talking frog. The frog claimed to be a former adventurer, who had been cursed by a wizard. The frog offered to teach Jack the ways of the rogue, in exchange for help breaking the curse.

Jack agreed, and spent many hours learning from the frog. He learned how to wield a rapier with deadly precision and how to blend into the crowds, disappearing from sight. He also learned how to use his charm and cunning to manipulate others to his advantage.

Thanks to the frog's training, Jack quickly rose through the ranks of the criminal underworld. He became known as a master thief and a skilled assassin. However, his loyalty to the frog never wavered, and he continues to search for a way to break the curse and free his mentor.
His frog mentor gave him a nickname which Jack usually uses instead of his real name. The nickname is a frog pun. Give me at least five suggestions.
1. Croaker
2. Ribbette
3. Hoppit
4. Leaper
5. Jumpy

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Not just D&D

quote:

Generate a character sheet for a human physical adept in Shadowrun 6th edition

Name: Jake "J-Dawg" Johnson

Metatype: Human

Attributes:

Body: 3
Agility: 4
Reaction: 3
Strength: 3
Willpower: 3
Logic: 2
Intuition: 2
Charisma: 2
Skills:

Athletics: 3
Close Combat: 2
Firearms: 2
Perception: 2
Stealth: 3
Survival: 2
Qualities:

Adept: Physical adept
Athletic: +1 to all Athletics skill tests
Improved Reflexes: +1 to Reaction attribute
Augmentations:

Cybereyes: +1 to Perception skill tests
Muscle Toner: +1 to Strength attribute
Gear:

Concealed holdout pistol
Monofilament wire garrote
Medkit
Climbing gear
Fake SIN (rating 4)
Contacts:

Local street doc
Runner fixer
Adept Powers:

Improved Ability (Athletics): +1 to Athletics skill tests
Improved Ability (Stealth): +1 to Stealth skill tests
Improved Sense (Hearing): +2 to Perception skill tests involving hearing
Background:
Jake grew up in the tough streets of the Seattle metroplex, where he learned to rely on his physical abilities and quick reflexes to survive. He discovered his adept powers at a young age and honed them through rigorous training and experience. Jake now uses his abilities as a runner, taking on jobs that require a combination of stealth and physical prowess.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also The Quiet Year is an amazing bar game. It only needs simple things (paper, pens, cards) so it lived in my work bag for years and years for just that purpose.

I've played TQY many many times and it's a great little storytelling game, highly recommend it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TrulyRural/status/1599039470405582848?t=u7uxm1QLTstQ95o0cXSdpQ&s=19

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

It said it didn't know how to make character sheets for V:tM, Shadowrun, or Call of Cthulhu, so I figured it just didn't have enough training material for non-D&D games, but I've now gotten it to generate character sheets for all three of those and even Earthdawn :iiam:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hell yeah

I never really followed rolemaster beyond the early editions because a friend had all the books, might check this out for all I'm unlikely to actually play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Subdual and Grappling critical tables :allears: