Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If the root cause of mass shootings is capitalism, why does the US have so many more shootings than other capitalist countries?

Because we have a major political party devoted to tearing down the administrative state. Services such as education and healthcare are being purposely destroyed in bad faith with the goal being to destroy public trust in institutions and community. Mass shootings are a side effect of this push.

Edit: I don't believe that gun control would change anything, and like the focus on abortion rights, it's a smokescreen for deeper issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If the root cause of mass shootings is capitalism, why does the US have so many more shootings than other capitalist countries?

Because how the working classes are managed is crucial to capitalism. If you don’t have adequate medical care free to all, you have to deal with the psychiatric crises that come from capitalist atomization without the ability for the state to intervene until it’s too late.

Another angle is desperation: being two paychecks away from homelessness for your entire adult life is psychological torture we perpetrate at scale. Because we also make sure that it’s an absolute horror show of monstrous proportions to be homeless here.

Look at worldwide stats for desperation drugs like meth and heroin for another great angle on how this works. We are an extremely medicated society, legally and illegally, in ways other supposedly first world nations are not. Is that because of guns? No, it’s capitalism.

Same goes with suicide attempts.

You can measure desperation a lot of ways, and from a lot of angles, and the US is a struggling, desperate nation right now.

Guns are an unfortunate feature but ultimately it’s the broken promise of American society that underpins desperate, nihilistic violence regardless of the way it’s carried out. It infects even ostensibly non-capitalist institutions, the idea that no human deserves any compassion or help, and thus we have children defending themselves in immigration court.

It’s the reason cops have QI; they are going to be asked to do more and greater brutalization to defend capital, and must be kept from fearing consequences for it.

Hell even racism as we practice it in America grew from capitalist needs, read your Nell Painter for more.

We have mass shootings here because this is the place where Capital succeeded to a degree beyond any oligarch’s wildest dream, because we created a place where the only thing that matters is money and if you get in the way of it, your community, your household, and your entire life can be destroyed by an algorithm that decided your town is no longer profitable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

There’s a category error in the question above, where “capitalist country” is meant to have some stable definition. The post you’re replying to is explaining how the operation of capitalism can create a shithole country like the United States, not making a general claim that any capitalist country necessarily must be the same exact kind of shithole. That capitalism should operate differently in a country structured like the US, structured sociologically and formally through institutions and laws, than in a country structured differently doesn’t mean that the explanation can’t be the operation of capitalism. The second amendment doesn’t inevitably create a situation like ours: it was a 40-year campaign by millionaires and gun companies targeted at interpreting the second amendment as the supreme court has chosen to interpret it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think Selac is right though I think a more simple explanation is that it would kill the American private gun industry. No one wants to be a job killer. The industry has successfully lobbied against legislation for years. I think other capitalist countries have the alienation Selac is talking about but they lack the guns. The US gets incels shooting up malls, Nordic countries got black metal. Therefore the reason why the US is unique is because we grew a rich gun industry compared to other countries so that gun industry is able to resist abolishment.

It is also all very similar to why we don't have a state sponsored healthcare system when most capitalist countries do.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

There’s a category error in the question above, where “capitalist country” is meant to have some stable definition. The post you’re replying to is explaining how the operation of capitalism can create a shithole country like the United States, not making a general claim that any capitalist country necessarily must be the same exact kind of shithole.

That's not at all what the post I replied to said. It said this:

selec posted:

People have just accepted that mass shootings happen, because the actual explanations for why people are so constantly unhappy and freaked out is bad for the money. It’s capitalism, and you can’t change it, because there’s more money in letting these things happen than there is in nationalized health care and communities which know and care about each other, rather than absorbing messages about how you shouldn’t trust your neighbors.

You're making an American exceptionalism argument. If so, what makes us exceptional? It certainly isn't capitalism.

It seems like people are twisting themselves in knots to find something to blame other than the huge number of guns in the US, and the low barriers to obtaining them.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think Selac is right though I think a more simple explanation is that it would kill the American private gun industry. No one wants to be a job killer. The industry has successfully lobbied against legislation for years. I think other capitalist countries have the alienation Selac is talking about but they lack the guns. The US gets incels shooting up malls, Nordic countries got black metal. Therefore the reason why the US is unique is because we grew a rich gun industry compared to other countries so that gun industry is able to resist abolishment.

It is also all very similar to why we don't have a state sponsored healthcare system when most capitalist countries do.

Thanks. This is an actual answer! I agree, the private gun industry is a huge problem.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

selec posted:

All of that is due to capitalism, I don’t know what you think capitalism is if you can’t see “wealthy country provides no safety net worth a drat” as a feature of American capitalism.

The root cause of basically everything bad is capitalism. That's both trivially true and not useful here because:

a) A lack of poeple vocally supporting capitalism in this discussion
b) It's so vague and general that it doesn't really pariticipate in the conversation meaningfully.

Like you could say "it's capitalism" for why police are often domestic abusers. That would be true too,

Basically you could say "it's capitalism" for everything we talk about here in this thread. Cool. It is. What conversation comes from that?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That's not at all what the post I replied to said. It said this:

You're making an American exceptionalism argument. If so, what makes us exceptional? It certainly isn't capitalism.

It seems like people are twisting themselves in knots to find something to blame other than the huge number of guns in the US, and the low barriers to obtaining them.

Thanks. This is an actual answer! I agree, the private gun industry is a huge problem.

I’d say the voracious, take-no-prisoners form of capitalist exploitation we insist on domestically and abroad is if not uniquely American, has reached its apotheosis here.

Would you be satisfied with a country that had no guns in civilian hands but still had all the markers of desperation and decline that we do? Do you think getting rid of guns would make those conditions change?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think I see where your mistake starts. Where do the guns come from?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

selec posted:

I’d say the voracious, take-no-prisoners form of capitalist exploitation we insist on domestically and abroad is if not uniquely American, has reached its apotheosis here.

Would you be satisfied with a country that had no guns in civilian hands but still had all the markers of desperation and decline that we do? Do you think getting rid of guns would make those conditions change?

I think that incremental improvements are better than no improvements.

Would I be satisfied with a country that had no guns in civilian hands but still had all the markers of desperation and decline that we do? Of course not.

Do you think a country where everything is the same except guns aren't widely available would be an improvement over the situation now? I think so, because there would be fewer LGBT clubs, schools and churches getting shot up, and that's a good thing.

The options are not "do nothing" or "magic bullet that solves everything" with nothing in between. You're presenting a false dichotomy.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think that incremental improvements are better than no improvements.

Would I be satisfied with a country that had no guns in civilian hands but still had all the markers of desperation and decline that we do? Of course not.

Do you think a country where everything is the same except guns aren't widely available would be an improvement over the situation now? I think so, because there would be fewer LGBT clubs, schools and churches getting shot up, and that's a good thing.

The options are not "do nothing" or "magic bullet that solves everything" with nothing in between. You're presenting a false dichotomy.

I think that if we took all the guns away, that would just make the inevitable violence that the crises brewing now will, not might, but will bring to us in the coming times even worse.

Because the state is going to have to try to tamp down what’s to come, no matter who is in the streets, and it’s inevitable that we will see greater and more explosive civic discord to come. A lot of it will be justified as Americans become more desperate. America is bad now, but it’s going to be so much worse in the coming decades, and if you thought cops were bad now, they will only get worse, and community self-protection will become more and more of a reality. We already have antifa lining up open carry defenders in front of drag shows, because the cops don’t do their job.

Is it wrong for them to work to prevent mass shootings when the cops have visibly failed to do so right in front of all of us? The cops will never take right wingers guns, so I guess I was silly to present a possible future where guns don’t exist in civilian hands, and I regret trying to go that route than just speaking on it from a reasonable understanding of the present, which is that the armed forces of law and order are not here to protect minority groups despite any mission statement from their leadership to the contrary.

I don’t think we can bridge the differences of opinion on what kind of country we live in, but thanks for talking. Gotta shower up and go have dinner with the in-laws.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

selec posted:

Because how the working classes are managed is crucial to capitalism. If you don’t have adequate medical care free to all, you have to deal with the psychiatric crises that come from capitalist atomization without the ability for the state to intervene until it’s too late.

Another angle is desperation: being two paychecks away from homelessness for your entire adult life is psychological torture we perpetrate at scale. Because we also make sure that it’s an absolute horror show of monstrous proportions to be homeless here.

Look at worldwide stats for desperation drugs like meth and heroin for another great angle on how this works. We are an extremely medicated society, legally and illegally, in ways other supposedly first world nations are not. Is that because of guns? No, it’s capitalism.

Same goes with suicide attempts.

You can measure desperation a lot of ways, and from a lot of angles, and the US is a struggling, desperate nation right now.

Guns are an unfortunate feature but ultimately it’s the broken promise of American society that underpins desperate, nihilistic violence regardless of the way it’s carried out. It infects even ostensibly non-capitalist institutions, the idea that no human deserves any compassion or help, and thus we have children defending themselves in immigration court.

It’s the reason cops have QI; they are going to be asked to do more and greater brutalization to defend capital, and must be kept from fearing consequences for it.

Hell even racism as we practice it in America grew from capitalist needs, read your Nell Painter for more.

We have mass shootings here because this is the place where Capital succeeded to a degree beyond any oligarch’s wildest dream, because we created a place where the only thing that matters is money and if you get in the way of it, your community, your household, and your entire life can be destroyed by an algorithm that decided your town is no longer profitable.

These comparisons only work when your sample is the absolute wealthiest, most developed nations in the world. There are far more capitalist countries with far worse material conditions than the US without the associated shooting epidemic, countries with far worse labor conditions, countries with far more oligarchic power structures, and countries with far less restraint on capitalism.

Everything you've presented as evidence as to "capitalism" being the cause of the US shooting epidemic proves exactly the opposite as the one thing you've shown to be constant without respect to the number of shootings is capitalism. "But American capitalism is different" doesn't make all this evidence against your thesis suddenly become evidence for it. Even if we except for a moment that American capitalism in 2022 is somehow unique in being the absolute worst and most exploitative capitalist hellscape that's ever existed in the post-firearm history of man the data your presenting (I'm taking at face value because you didn't cite any of it) is evidence that the problem is with the American form of capitalism and explicitly evidence that capitalism as a general system isn't the cause.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 23, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

I’d say it’s significant but predictable that right wing influencers have made the turn to cheering these on. A liberal state has no meaningful way to challenge free speech, with enough money for lawyers to advise, that constantly incites violence but in a non-actionable way. It has to feel very exciting to be a Tim Pool or Matt Walsh fan right now, knowing how neutered anyone who would try to stop you is, and the deep, abiding approval for this tendency within American law enforcement and governmental structures.

A gun control law will never stop this, could never, within the context of the society you live in. What the system does is it’s intent, and until you can say that intent and refuse the system that produces this result, you won’t be stopping anything.

Powerlessness can be expressed by despair or ever more desperate parsing of liberal ideas of a rule of law that doesn’t actually exist, but neither form produces actual change.

It's a signifier that they don't see themselves as being on the defensive anymore, that they're now ready to actively roll back trans rights rather than just preventing them from advancing.

It's not even just about violence specifically: it's about arguing that they're protecting morality and that their agenda should be enforced by any means possible, whether by law or by violence.

It reminds me of the civil rights fights of the 50s and 60s. It was a continuum of oppression: there was official discrimination by law, and then there was unofficial discrimination by state entities following unwritten rules, and then there was private discrimination of all sorts by all sorts of people, and then there was straight-up violence where people would just get beaten and murdered.

Gun control is important for a lot of reasons, but we also can't ignore that America's social and political zeitgeist have ended up at a point where people are apparently just that much more willing to kill.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yes, just framing it as a gun problem and “capitalism” problem is dismissing the bigotry.

He was making bombs too. If he didn’t have a gun, he would’ve blown them up.

It’s a nazi problem.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I mean, bombs are generally fairly hard to make and get right and cause the devastation a single gun can create. There is a Nazi problem, but the problem is Nazis getting access to guns.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I’d call it an improvement if nazis had to rely 100% on making bombs. Columbine was a failed bombing. Imagine if it had ended there. Everything vis a vis mass killing in the US would be different because the foundational narrative would have been nazi scum fail because they’re loser idiots.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Reducing any complex problem to the most immutable (or unfalsifiable) element of its causality just interferes with understanding it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Yes, just framing it as a gun problem and “capitalism” problem is dismissing the bigotry.

It’s a nazi problem.

If we're discussing what makes America unique then it's not a Nazi problem, lots of countries have Nazis. Very few of them give their Nazis access to guns like we do. You're not wrong but that's what kicked off the discussion, what's unique to the US compared to other capitalist countries (whatever that means) and having fascists is very common between them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

It’s a nazi problem.

It's a gun prolbem, a capitalism problem, and a nazi problem.

It's also a men problem.

We should address all 4 of those.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Automata 10 Pack posted:

It’s a nazi problem.

They have Nazis and their equivalent in other places. Some of them do mass shooting like we see in America (Finland, Norway), some do not. I don’t think it’s only Nazis nor only the mere presence of capitalism.

One of the few things I’ve read on this subject is Heroes: Mass Murder and Suicide by Franco “Bifo” Berardi, from 2015. It’s rather meandering so it’s hard to summarize. Generally it proposes that extremes of alienation caused by living in contemporary capitalist society are at the heart of the issue of mass murder committed by individuals and an explosion in suicides, and that the effect of virtualizing technologies has been to pus this alienation to new heights that produce very warped views of the world. I don’t always understand what he’s getting at but I think he brings up different ways to consider this.

quote:

“I do not think that extended exposure of the brain to simulated stimulation like the video games automatically induces a mutation of mental activity. Nevertheless, it is not difficult to imagine that if the conscious experience of a person is primarily developed in the virtual world, then something significant will also happen in this person’s psychological and cognitive sphere. In this case, it is worth reiterating that Breivik was diagnosed with a form of alexithymia since he was very young. Alexithymia is an inability to recognize one’s own feelings and emotions, a sort of un-empathy which involves not only the emotional perception of others but also emotional self-perception. The virtualization of lived experience can have a similar effect: firstly, to assuage the pain resulting from rejection, isolation and mockery; and secondly, to exaggerate the inability to relate to others, and to distinguish between fantasy and reality in the social sphere.
In my opinion, extended exposure to the virtual flow is one of the most important causes of the current psycho-cognitive mutation. Yet it would be inaccurate to assert that such exposure is necessarily and in itself a cause of pathology and alienation, because it seems to me that the condition of psychic suffering (namely loneliness, angst, depression) precedes any such circumstantial factors. However, the combined effect of a pre-existing condition of psychic suffering and of an enormous investment of time and mental energy in virtual activity is likely to be, especially for young people, an intensification of the sense of alienation, together with “with a sort of unravelling of de-socialization, and an increasing misperception of the common space of physical and affective interaction.
In the years that preceded the widespread diffusion of the internet cyberculture, the accepted expectations were for a very different future. Whereas, in the eighties, many commentators imagined the blossoming of an horizontal space of multilateral exchange, of openness and cultural experimentation, of tolerance and creativity, the present reality is proving to be quite different. The proliferation of sources of information, and of the electronic flows of stimulation is so overwhelming that we tend to withdraw into a confined and homogeneous area of the blogosphere, in order to receive the kind of information and opinions which confirm our expectations and restate our convictions.”

He says the mass shooters tend to be inspired by Nazis aesthetically but places the actual ideology within neoliberalism:

quote:

Natural Selector's Manifesto
What is particularly striking in Pekka-Erik Auvinen's case is the precise and public explanation of the philosophy behind his murderous action. 'I am a cynical existentialist, antihuman Humanist, antisocial social Darwinist, realistic idealist and godlike atheist,' writes Auvinen on his website, just before performing his crime. He also left behind a 'Natural Selector's Manifesto', which has been widely shared on the internet.

How Did Natural Selection Turn Into Idiocratic
Selection?

Today the process of natural selection is totally misguid-ed. It has reversed. Human race has been devolving very long time for now. Retarded and stupid, weak-minded people are reproducing more and faster than the intelli-gent, strong-minded people. Laws protect the retarded majority which selects the leaders of society. Modern human race has not only betrayed its ancestors, but the future generations too. [.] Naturality has been discriminated through religions, ideologies, laws and other mass delusion systems.
Humans are just a species among other animals and world does not exist only for humans. Death and killing is not a tragedy, it happens in nature all the time between all species.

Its focal point is the perfectly Neoliberal emphasis on a misconceived notion that is mistakenly called natural selection, which has to be restored against the socialist protection of the weak against the strong.
Not all human lives are important or worth saving. Only superior (intelligent, self-aware, strong-minded) individuals should survive while inferior (stupid, retarded, weak-minded masses) should perish. There is also another solution to the problem: stupid people as slaves and intelligent people as free. What I mean is that they who have free minds, are capable of intelligent existential and philosophical thinking and know what justice is, should be free and rulers ... and the robotic masses, they can be slaves since they do not mind it now either and because their minds are on so retarded level.
Contrary to what is generally believed, Nazism is not the preferred ideology of this kind of mass murderer. Some aspects of Nazism are clearly evident in their declarations: violence, dehumanization of the victim, racism. But Auvinen identified Nazism as one of the authoritarian forms of de-individualiza-tion. His only credo is the cult of the strong individual, the lonely winner: the financial agent and the gunman.

Auvinen also wrote in his manifesto:
Collective de-individualization is a phenomenon where individual will be trained as part of the mindless herd controlled by state, corporation, church or some other organization, group, ideology, religion or mass delusion system and adopt it's rules, morality and codes of con-duct. This phenomenon has been familiar in all despotic, authoritarian, totalitarian, monarchist, communist, social-ist, nazi, fascist and religious societies throughout history.

. . .
Pekka-Erik Auvinen's manifesto can be considered a sort of rhetorical declaration of the philosophy of mass murder - murder as a metaphorical message of pure social Darwinism. This is the key to any attempt to interpret his actions; that is, the rhetorics of his enunciation.

When it comes to the content, to the political intentions of his enunciation, his philosophy is crystal clear:

What do I hate/What I don't like?
Equality, tolerance, human rights, political correctness, hypocrisy, ignorance, enslaving religions and ideologies, antidepressants, TV soap operas & drama shows, rap music, mass media, censorship, political populists, religious fanatics, moral majority, totalitarianism, con-sumerism, democracy, pacifism, state mafia, alcoholics, TV commercials, human race.

Like every good Thatcherite of the last thirty years, the first thing that he expresses his hatred for is equality. Then, being less hypocritical than the average Neoliberal politician, he gives full vent to his hatred for tolerance, human rights and political correctness. Evidently, he has no time for censorship and totalitarianism, democracy and pacifism. In essence, the manifesto bears all the hallmarks of the programme of a Tea Party activist. Before enacting the atrocity at the Jokela School, Pekka-Erik Auvinen took 'selfies', pictures showing him wearing a T-shirt that summed up his intentions and presented what could be called his 'poetics'. Three words were written on the T-shirt: 'Humanity is overrated.' I don't know where Pekka-Erik found these words, whence came his inspiration, but these three words deserve to be seriously considered. They are not banal.

Later on I think this captures his belief on how the current tendencies in capitalism contribute to these problems:

quote:

Financial capitalism is based on a process of unrelenting deterritorialization, and this is causing fear to spread among those who are unable to deal with the precariousness of daily
life and the violence of the labour market. This fear in turn provokes a counter-effect of aggressive re-territorialization by those who try to grasp some form of identity, some sense of belonging, because only a feeling of belonging offers the semblance of shelter, a form of protection. But belonging is a delusive projection of the mind, a deceptive sensation, a trap. Since one's belonging can only be conclusively proved by an act of aggression against the other, the combined effect of deterritori-alization in the sphere of financial capitalism and of re-territori-alization in the realm of identity is leading to a state of permanent war.

He also differentiates between different types of mass murderers:

quote:

The previous accounts of mass murderers in this book have primarily described people who suffer: Seung-Hui Cho, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were essentially suffering people who performed mass murder with the intention of being killed in order to be released from the intolerable burden of their life.
Their murderous acts must be analysed from the point of view of their pain, which by no means reduces or justifies the horror of their deeds.

Breivik is different. Of course, he also must have suffered in the course of his life, to the point of erasing the perception of his own feelings and emotions. But when it came to performing his mass murder he acted coldly, in the name of ideological, religious and political values. Before committing the massacre, Breivik composed a sort of 'manifesto', titled 2083: A European Declaration of Independence. This text is largely an exercise in cutting-and-pasting from the internet, complemented with a collection of the author's own considerations, opinions and autobiographical accounts. The European Declaration of Independence is the work of a man who has an average level of culture and who can be defined as a moderate conservative, or a neo-conservative. Even though his actions and his moral profile are clearly influenced by the style of the Nazis, Breivik explicitly dissociates himself from Nazism.

His basic idea can be summarized like this: Marxism - the essential enemy of European identity - has changed its nature in the last decades of the twentieth century, shifting from 'eco-nomic Marxism' to 'cultural Marxism', as a result of sexual freedom and a form of political correctness which translates into relativism and tolerance towards the enemies of Christian Europe. Thanks to the destruction of the traditional family, the feminization of Western society and the relativist subservience to the enemies of West, cultural Marxism is jeopardizing the very foundations of Western civilization. …

The text of the murderer perfectly expresses the feelings and opinions of a large portion of the European people, not to mention Americans. These opinions are not the product of madness or of a crazy delirium, but the rational neo-conservative elaborations of a right-wing idiot who thinks that European identity is based on the Christian faith and that Islam is the worst enemy of Europe, which has to be confronted and rejected by any means necessary. What Breivik writes might be signed in full and almost without correction by the neo-conservative intellectuals and the Tea Party militants of the United States. . . . These kinds of platitudes are shared by a significant segment of the public in the West. The ideology and the sentiments that Breivik has expressed in his disgusting manifesto are largely the same as those held by the supporters of George W. Bush in the United States, Silvio Berlusconi in Italy, or David Cameron in the United Kingdom, for instance. Indeed, the fundamental political agenda of Mr Breivik is not so far removed from the agenda of conservative political movements the world over.

Since this was written, in 2015, I think there have been more Breivik-style shooters in recent years, but some have embodied aspects of both types described here. I wonder what the author would have to add.

Anyway, while the cases above are non-US shooters, I think some types of alienation are heightened in America more than elsewhere in the world, (which explains why it’s not the only place the place too). The United States is widely seen as one of the most individualistic countries in the world and is ranked #1 on many of the faulty metrics that try to measure this. The US is the source of so many of the demeaning management practices that are later taught in business schools around the world. The shambolic US healthcare system that produces so many broken people is now being applied as a model of profit extraction in other parts of the world (often with US aid).

There are so many ways the US is exceptional in ways that enhance this. Defense spending, for example. The disparity in education dollars and outcomes. Hours of television watched. Being the economic and cultural hegemon and everything that goes with it. America is exceptional right now in a lot of ways that have a material basis, but it’s not essentially exceptional.

Discendo Vox posted:

Reducing any complex problem to the most immutable (or unfalsifiable) element of its causality just interferes with understanding it.

:agreed: it’s overdetermined

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Are those other Nazis being empowered by a fictional narrative dictated by an oil trillionare?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

selec posted:

The state isn’t equipped to deal with this issue because ultimately the cops agree and slow-walk efforts to protect minority groups. Abolish the police.

https://twitter.com/dgisserious/status/1595447152125399045?s=46&t=dy0WgvoTwf0njw4ZP39IBQ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hey, so please don't add your own commentary on what the article actually says, which is "the police were given a tip by a watchdog organization and then acted on it."

NYTimes posted:

Initially, the tweets indicated that perhaps the threat might occur on Long Island, so the consultants immediately alerted law enforcement authorities there. By early afternoon, the security team found additional online profiles seemingly linked to Mr. Brown that mentioned other threats, Mr. Silber said.

And by 2 p.m., it became apparent that the threat could be in New York City, at which point Mr. Silber’s team alerted city police officials.

“We basically told them that, ‘We know you get a lot of incoming, but you should pay attention to this,’” he said.

In a statement, Commissioner Sewell said that the department’s “exhaustive intelligence gathering led to the arrest.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah, I’d call it an improvement if nazis had to rely 100% on making bombs. Columbine was a failed bombing. Imagine if it had ended there. Everything vis a vis mass killing in the US would be different because the foundational narrative would have been nazi scum fail because they’re loser idiots.

True, but that's only really the case for "lone wolf" type stuff. The KKK was pretty drat effective at blowing poo poo up back in the 60s when they were bombing civil rights groups. With organized militia groups on the upswing, they shouldn't have too much trouble getting their hands on some explosives or someone who can make explosives (especially given how connected they are).

IMO, as a general rule of thumb, reducing the number of guns out there is good. But when it comes to mass killings specifically, there's lots of ways to kill multiple people in a crowd. Certainly, guns are particularly effective at racking up the numbers. But gun control wouldn't have stopped the Charlottesville car attack, for instance. There were no firearms at all there - just a neo-Nazi who hated the peaceful protesters in front of him enough that he was willing to give up the rest of his life in order to kill them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Main Paineframe posted:

True, but that's only really the case for "lone wolf" type stuff. The KKK was pretty drat effective at blowing poo poo up back in the 60s when they were bombing civil rights groups. With organized militia groups on the upswing, they shouldn't have too much trouble getting their hands on some explosives or someone who can make explosives (especially given how connected they are).

IMO, as a general rule of thumb, reducing the number of guns out there is good. But when it comes to mass killings specifically, there's lots of ways to kill multiple people in a crowd. Certainly, guns are particularly effective at racking up the numbers. But gun control wouldn't have stopped the Charlottesville car attack, for instance. There were no firearms at all there - just a neo-Nazi who hated the peaceful protesters in front of him enough that he was willing to give up the rest of his life in order to kill them.

The Charlottesville car attack killed one person. Firearms are much better at this, it's what they're made for.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Melting down most of the guns in this county would be very very very difficult, but preventing people from making bombs is effectively impossible.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
:catstare:

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1595519454900805649?s=20&t=lJR_m1Bi_1lnA1d0NQN3Jg

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

As horrifying as that thought process is, I'm very unsurprised of it after I heard he's Mormon. Having grown up Mormon, I feel like this would be a common thought process among them.

And I looked up a little more from that interview and saw

quote:

Until six months ago, Aaron Brink thought his son died by suicide.

Brink said his ex-wife called him from Colorado in 2016 to tell him their son, Nicholas Brink, had changed his name to Anderson Aldrich, and had killed himself.

“I thought he was dead. I mourned his loss. I had gone through a meltdown and thought I had lost my son,” Brink told CBS 8.

When Brink asked his ex-wife why their son had changed his name, she blamed it on the father’s involvement in a reality TV show called Intervention, as well as his acting career in the adult film industry.

“His mother told me he changed his name because I was in Intervention and I had been a porno actor,” said Brink.

For six years Brink believed his son was dead, until Aldrich unexpectedly called his father six months ago, and started arguing with him over the phone.

Wow. I feel annoyed at the news channels trying to dig up as much as they can regarding situations like these, but unfortunately they got me to read about it :sigh:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 24, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australia and New Zealand had a mass shooting each, after which they effectively banned guns and removed them from circulation, no more mass shootings.

It really is that simple.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Matt Gaetz says he has 5 firm votes against McCarthy who would all reject his bid on the house floor. If thats true, McCarthy can't become speaker without help from the Dems. (lol, bullshit)

Apparently they are beginning to try to convince moderate Dems to switch parties, but haven't gotten any takers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/14/house-gop-leadership-elections-2022-elections-00066664

edit: There are also rumors that if the speaker vote repeatedly fails in several ballots and it becomes clear that the GOP can't elect anyone, then the Dems may vote for Liz Cheney. (You don't have to be a member of congress to be speaker)

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 24, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s nothing moderate about the Republican Party. I wonder what they’re offering those representatives to try getting them to change parties.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rigel posted:

Matt Gaetz says he has 5 firm votes against McCarthy who would all reject his bid on the house floor. If thats true, McCarthy can't become speaker without help from the Dems. (lol, bullshit)

Apparently they are beginning to try to convince moderate Dems to switch parties, but haven't gotten any takers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/14/house-gop-leadership-elections-2022-elections-00066664

edit: There are also rumors that if the speaker vote repeatedly fails in several ballots and it becomes clear that the GOP can't elect anyone, then the Dems may vote for Liz Cheney. (You don't have to be a member of congress to be speaker)

McCarthy was always going to have problems actually getting all the votes. The money ghouls think he's drunk too much of the kool-aide, while the brain worm ghouls are convinced he's only pretending to sip it.

Voting in Liz Cheney as the Speaker is perhaps the most Resistance Democrat move possible though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's no chance that House Dem leadership is going to let their caucus members cut deals with the GOP for a Speaker vote.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's no chance that House Dem leadership is going to let their caucus members cut deals with the GOP for a Speaker vote.

Yeah, especially with new people in the top spots. I doubt they'd do it even if they weren't trying to prove themselves to all the Dem factions.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's the best situation for Dems outside of having the majority, where you can probably peel away some of those newly elected NY Republicans who are going to have a hard time holding their seats in 2 years.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is presuming a scenario where the GOP thoroughly and exhaustively prove beyond any doubt whatsoever that no one in their caucus can get 218 votes solely from the GOP, and that the Dems also can't peel off 5 votes for someone in their caucus.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Assuming the GOP are unable to elect anyone on their own, there's definitely a possibility that the Dems support a "moderate" Republican for Speaker. It's going to be after they fail to get enough Republicans to support any Democrat, and it will be a current member of the House. It definitely won't be Liz Cheney, even if they have to pull someone from outside the House.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gyges posted:

Assuming the GOP are unable to elect anyone on their own, there's definitely a possibility that the Dems support a "moderate" Republican for Speaker. It's going to be after they fail to get enough Republicans to support any Democrat, and it will be a current member of the House. It definitely won't be Liz Cheney, even if they have to pull someone from outside the House.

At best you're going to end up with someone the Republicans instantly excommunicate, at worst they're going to pull up the football and openly go 'lol those idiot commiecrats fell for it'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At best you're going to end up with someone the Republicans instantly excommunicate, at worst they're going to pull up the football and openly go 'lol those idiot commiecrats fell for it'

Yeah, I don't trust the Dems not to get bamboozled in the event of any messy Speaker vote and/or negotiation, but the prospect for absolute bonkers chaos gives me life right now.

My baseline hope is that Kevin McCarthy walks away never having become Speaker because it's exactly the humiliating fate he deserves.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australia and New Zealand had a mass shooting each, after which they effectively banned guns and removed them from circulation, no more mass shootings.

It really is that simple.

It's not really that simple, because the Christchurch shooting happened in 2019 with 51 dead Muslims.

Your point is accurate, but we shouldn't pretend that any gun laws will result in "no more mass shootings". Not because it's a semantic point, but because we should feel each tragedy, and we don't want to allow chuds to point to isolated tragedies and say "see, these laws do nothing"

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

https://thebuckeyeflame.com/2022/11/22/proud-boys-announce-plans-to-disrupt-drag-story-event-in-columbus/

It seems that the typical disavow, deflect, distort response to the latest lone wolf attacks has basically collapsed. I don't think openly planning domestic terror will go well for them.

That said they did enough to get any leftist group broken up years ago and it's disgusting they get a right wing free pass to exist as an organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It might be hitting an inflection point. Right wing terrorism is escalating very, very quickly. They have literally already targeted elected Democrats, and I see no reason to believe they won't continue to do so.