Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

worms butthole guy posted:

2. With the open world, how often do you run into Pokecenters? One thing I always hated about pokemon was how your party didn't renew health wise after each battle and i'm guessing its still the same.

there's three pokemon centers in this picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the main story and lol at the credits having framerate issues

But seriously that was the best final chapter of a pokemon game period holy poo poo I loved every moment of it minus Nemona being like 'wow arvel ur dad died but look how cool this dragon is wanna go on a adventure it's gonna be great'. Like holy poo poo lady Arven has been through the wringer let him have some time

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Managed to jump my way up top and there's just a fuckload of Sinestea just hanging out in broad daylight.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

But seriously that was the best final chapter of a pokemon game period holy poo poo I loved every moment of it minus Nemona being like 'wow arvel ur dad died but look how cool this dragon is wanna go on a adventure it's gonna be great'. Like holy poo poo lady Arven has been through the wringer let him have some time

Observant and emotionally intelligent Nemona is not. She means well bless her but if it's not about critters kicking the poo poo out of each other she ain't about it. And yes final area is amazing on pretty much every level. It's simultaneously beautiful and deeply deeply loving creepy. It kinda had a Chernobyl vibe to it to be honest. Like nature is slowly overtaking all these old research outposts but it's clear something went horribly loving wrong here.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 24, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Flopsy posted:

Observant and emotionally intelligent Nemona is not. She means well bless her but if it's not about critters kicking the poo poo out of each other she ain't about it. And yes final area is amazing on pretty much every level. It's simultaneously beautiful and deeply deeply loving creepy. It kinda had a Chernobyl vibe to it to be honest. Like nature is slowly overtaking all these old research outposts but it's clear something went horribly loving wrong here.

You should take all the history classes and ready the copy of the book in the entrance hall :)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I dunno it seemed like a pretty empathetic friend thing to do. She could tell he was incredibly down on everything so rather than go straight home to let him stew she suggested they prolong their trip back home for more buddy time together and maybe pull him out of him own head a little. Like yeah sometimes people just need to be left alone to process things but it can just as often be the case that they need to be given some quality friend time to lift them up a bit. Even the giant puppy dog dragon agreed with the idea.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but given that shortly thereafter she goes Woah boy! You say there's a monster down here that nearly murdered your friend and left you traumatized? I can't wait to fight it! I'm going to swing towards she's got a 1 track mind and just doesn't get how her words could be hurtful.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should take all the history classes and ready the copy of the book in the entrance hall :)

I've already finished every class in school but I don't know where the copy of the Scarlet/Violet book is.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The 6/10 review IGN gave is totally fair and I agree with it.

It's also the best 6/10 game I've ever played. I know that's a dumb thing to say but this game has such high highs and such low lows.

The game also gets better the further you get into it. A lot better. There's not a lot of games that can say that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Why are 5 star raids filled with box legendaries just spamming their signature move? Did none of these people consider using one of the pokemon they beat the game with? Possibly with an actually useful move?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FoolyCharged posted:

Did none of these people consider using one of the pokemon they beat the game with?
why would they do that instead of the cool very strong legendary pokemon they got more recently

FoolyCharged posted:

Possibly with an actually useful move?
and they are children

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Why are 5 star raids filled with box legendaries just spamming their signature move? Did none of these people consider using one of the pokemon they beat the game with? Possibly with an actually useful move?

Nothin' to be done for that I had the same issue in Sword and Shield. Remember the target audience for these games is kids and of course they're going to want to show off their legendary where other people can see it regardless of how useless it is.

Kirios posted:

It's also the best 6/10 game I've ever played. I know that's a dumb thing to say but this game has such high highs and such low lows.

The game also gets better the further you get into it. A lot better. There's not a lot of games that can say that.

Yeah this game is kinda the anti-Sword/Shield. It starts off kinda rough but the deeper you get into it the better it gets. It goes without saying the plot is miles better and there's SO much more to do.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Flopsy posted:

I've already finished every class in school but I don't know where the copy of the Scarlet/Violet book is.

Its on one of those standalone shelves on the first floor of the entrance hall, to the right of you upon entering I believe. Its a lot like those green books that stick out among the bookshelves except its Scarlet/Violet.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Its on one of those standalone shelves on the first floor of the entrance hall, to the right of you upon entering I believe. Its a lot like those green books that stick out among the bookshelves except its Scarlet/Violet.

Can you check it out or do you have to come back and keep reading it?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh my god the social links with the teachers are incredible
i support you and your terrible cooking skills, dendra!!!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Flopsy posted:

Can you check it out or do you have to come back and keep reading it?

Not sure what you mean, but its divided into several chapters which talks about the various features of the crater.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Not sure what you mean, but its divided into several chapters which talks about the various features of the crater.

I mean take it out of the school with you. But I guess you have to read it in there--ah well It's fine either way.

Blaziken386 posted:

oh my god the social links with the teachers are incredible
i support you and your terrible cooking skills, dendra!!!

The most obvious ships in the game are also the gayest ones just putting that out there. Her quest to make the perfect sandwich for Miriam is the clumsiest kind of wooing I'm totally here for.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Flopsy posted:

And yes final area is amazing on pretty much every level. It's simultaneously beautiful and deeply deeply loving creepy. It kinda had a Chernobyl vibe to it to be honest. Like nature is slowly overtaking all these old research outposts but it's clear something went horribly loving wrong here.

I got the same vibe from it and thought my reaction was weird, it's beautiful but it felt like, especially given what happened there (I figured it out from the start) it felt like running around inside a giant grave

Also I'm playing Scarlet I did not know the one titan is a different, future form in Violet. Does that mean the plot to the Area Zero stuff in Violet is different, with the time machine being a time machine that goes forward instead of backwards?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Also I'm playing Scarlet I did not know the one titan is a different, future form in Violet. Does that mean the plot to the Area Zero stuff in Violet is different, with the time machine being a time machine that goes forward instead of backwards?

Yup, just replace every instance of "past" with "future" and that's the main difference between the two versions' stories.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BrainDance posted:

I got the same vibe from it and thought my reaction was weird, it's beautiful but it felt like, especially given what happened there (I figured it out from the start) it felt like running around inside a giant grave

Yeah pretty much although and this is even deeper spoilers mind you, It's heavily implied that there's some entity residing at the very bottom of Area Zero that's the source of terrastilizing and the paradox pokemon. Think about it, paradox pokemon were present down there way before the professor even considered building the machine. I think their existence is tied into the crystals and native pokemon coming into contact with the thing. The time machine itself is powered by millions of panels made of tera crystal. I wouldn't be surprised that they were tapping into this thing instead of actually moving through time but that's for DLC to explain. Wouldn't be the first time game freak made an eldritch God a pokemon.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Kirios posted:

In my not finished the game opinion I'd give it a 7.5. The story is waaaaaay better than Sword/Shield, and the open world nature helps more than it hurts, but man, the lack of polish hurts, especially for a Pokemon game. For all of Sword/Shield's faults, I never felt cheapened like I have with Scar/Vio., and the cut corners really show. Gonna sound petty but why does my rideable boi not make a noise when he jumps?!?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I have turned back around on raids after co-oping some 5 and 6 stars with my boyfriend. When you're actually coordinated and have good pokemon for the raid its actually pretty fun.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
doing the finals for every class really brings me back to my school days, by which i mean it causes me to yell at the screen "what the gently caress do you mean four out of five correct, which did I get wrong!? Let me retake the test, darnit, I want a perfect score!!"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

doing the finals for every class really brings me back to my school days, by which i mean it causes me to yell at the screen "what the gently caress do you mean four out of five correct, which did I get wrong!? Let me retake the test, darnit, I want a perfect score!!"

Sounds like it'll go on your permanent record.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kirios posted:

Sounds like it'll go on your permanent record.

Every trainer battle now starts with the opponent going "Oh wow, aren't you that person that only got four questions on the final right? Boy am I glad II never went to the academy if this is the education's results."

And then you send out a very angry bike that punches them in the face

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Math is genuinely something I struggle with so I was making GBS threads myself the whole time in there. Getting four out of five is higher than anything I'd get in real life with that subject. I aced History, Art and Home econ of course lol

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Unless something amazing comes out next month this game is #3 in my year-end list with a bullet.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Ok thread poll time.

If a Legendary Pokémon is the first Pokémon you encounter in a given area, is it against the spirit of a Nuzlocke run to use them?

I'd say a Nuzlocke shouldn't use a fixed-location legendary like Suicune. The idea is to make you use Pokemon that you normally wouldn't. If you somehow run into a roamer as your first encounter in a new area, though, go for it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The end of the game goes incredibly hard

They kill the professor like 3 different times in the course of 10 minutes between the reveal of the original's death, the AI getting shutdown and taken over and then the AI committing suicide to destroy the time machine. Its honestly kind of impressive.

Also Jesus, poor Arven. Like holy poo poo I think he takes the cake for 'most hosed up Pokemon childhood' by a mile. Not only abandoned by one parent then neglected by the other, the one in his life dies and gets replaced by a robot that fucks with him and ultimately goes on to suicide in front of him

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just started. I think I am digging it so far, despite issues that others have probably elaborated on better than I could. I will say that I wish throwing a pokeball to instigate a battle was a little more instantaneous.

That said, there are little touches in this game that I really like, amongst them that the more docile pokemon will sneak up where they think you are not paying attention and look at you out of curiosity.

Question: Have pokeballs always have had a really good catch rate even against full HP 'mons, at least starting out? I tried throwing a pokeball first thing up to the first pokemon center you get to and only once I have had it fail.

Does this mean that years of 'beat the pokemon up before catching' has been a waste of time? :tinfoil:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Unlucky7 posted:

Just started. I think I am digging it so far, despite issues that others have probably elaborated on better than I could. I will say that I wish throwing a pokeball to instigate a battle was a little more instantaneous.

That said, there are little touches in this game that I really like, amongst them that the more docile pokemon will sneak up where they think you are not paying attention and look at you out of curiosity.

Question: Have pokeballs always have had a really good catch rate even against full HP 'mons, at least starting out? I tried throwing a pokeball first thing up to the first pokemon center you get to and only once I have had it fail.

Does this mean that years of 'beat the pokemon up before catching' has been a waste of time? :tinfoil:

For low level route 1 Pokemon? Yeah, you've basically always been able to chuck a ball at a level 2-5 Pidgey and catch it immediately. Level and species make a huge difference to catch rate, and most early game Pokemon are towards the higher end of the scale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Fidough's evolution is amazing.

I wasn't ready for Pastry Dachshund, but I adore him already. Ironically I'd named my Fidough Strudel with no knowledge it would turn into this :allears:.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I finally found a shiny! Ironically not even the one I was in an outbreak for.

Very fitting given Pyroar was in my final party for finishing the game. :kimchi:

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

If anyone wants an Own Tempo Rockruff to evolve into Dusk Form Lycanroc, hit me up!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I want Tropius to get an evo that just gives it more bananas

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

it rules that some of the students are like fat middle-aged men with beards who are just wandering around in the wilderness

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fidough's evolution is amazing.

I wasn't ready for Pastry Dachshund, but I adore him already. Ironically I'd named my Fidough Strudel with no knowledge it would turn into this :allears:.

I didn't check the ability text and the first time Pastry Dachshund got hit by a fire move I was *delighted*.

SHE IS ALREADY BAKED

whomst among us

The ambient Pokemon behaviours really are very good. I saw a Mudsdale galloping with a Mudbray following after it and it was simple but it really struck me, it looked lovely. And the Pokemon who gather around during fights and get excited and react to everything that happens, they are very good too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HopperUK posted:

I didn't check the ability text and the first time Pastry Dachshund got hit by a fire move I was *delighted*.

SHE IS ALREADY BAKED

whomst among us

The ambient Pokemon behaviours really are very good. I saw a Mudsdale galloping with a Mudbray following after it and it was simple but it really struck me, it looked lovely. And the Pokemon who gather around during fights and get excited and react to everything that happens, they are very good too.

This game is buggy and needed another 6+ months of work, but you can see what the clear intent is through it and it is fantastic. The ambient Pokemon wandering about are pretty much "What kids in the 90's wanted: The Game". A lot of the bugs are stuff that can be readily fixed too, and I'd be hoping there'll be something in the next few weeks to just stomp out the quick-and-easy bugs that're broken triggers (eg; the Elite 4 music, or the camera zone bug I ran into).

Even just the camera getting out of bounds shouldn't be too hard to stop, depending on how their engine works. (The very quick-and-dirty way, as they clearly have physics tools with the Olive Rolling, is to just make the camera a physical object with a collider and rigidbody so it bops into the ground/wall and stops).

...I also saw a Voltorb just blow itself up for no reason. :stonk:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Electrodes do it too

I didn't see the Voltorb when it first happened so I was very confused about what had just exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This game is buggy and needed another 6+ months of work, but you can see what the clear intent is through it and it is fantastic. The ambient Pokemon wandering about are pretty much "What kids in the 90's wanted: The Game". A lot of the bugs are stuff that can be readily fixed too, and I'd be hoping there'll be something in the next few weeks to just stomp out the quick-and-easy bugs that're broken triggers (eg; the Elite 4 music, or the camera zone bug I ran into).

Even just the camera getting out of bounds shouldn't be too hard to stop, depending on how their engine works. (The very quick-and-dirty way, as they clearly have physics tools with the Olive Rolling, is to just make the camera a physical object with a collider and rigidbody so it bops into the ground/wall and stops).

...I also saw a Voltorb just blow itself up for no reason. :stonk:

Yeah, this would be the universally beloved game of everyone's dreams if it came out as an early GameCube title