Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

comforter, pacifier, there's something creepy in the way they name these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

now to 'op in me lorry to clear the wheelie-bins

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/nov/24/annual-uk-energy-bills-would-have-hit-4279-without-emergency-support-ofgem-says

quote:

In response to the energy crisis, ministers are planning to launch a £25m advertising and social media campaign before Christmas to encourage people to save money and energy.

They have identified eight measures that could save households up to £420 a year, according to the Times. The measures to cut bills include reducing the temperature of boilers, which could save £80, turning off radiators in empty rooms, which could save £105, and switching off electrical devices rather than leaving them on standby, which could save £55.

So that's three of the eight measures that literally anyone worried about the amount of energy they use will be doing already. Great work guys, really good effort standing around the whiteboard just before it was due.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/nov/24/annual-uk-energy-bills-would-have-hit-4279-without-emergency-support-ofgem-says

So that's three of the eight measures that literally anyone worried about the amount of energy they use will be doing already. Great work guys, really good effort standing around the whiteboard just before it was due.

That's what couple hundred thousand pounds worth of hard thinking gets you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Just loving angrier and angrier that there's people turning up in the news saying they've had to turn off fridges and freezers, won't be running heating at all during winter and the government are just "lol is your tv on standby that's all we got"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just loving angrier and angrier that there's people turning up in the news saying they've had to turn off fridges and freezers, won't be running heating at all during winter and the government are just "lol is your tv on standby that's all we got"

is your fridge running? well you'd better start running too before frostbite kicks in

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"Here's what you can do to save on energy bills this winter?"

"Ok but what can you do to save me on energy bills this winter?"

"Er... lol turn your lights off"

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

"So that's it? Eight tips and good luck?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I used to live in a flat that was regularly 11C during the winter evenings. It probably got colder overnight but I wasn't going to get out of bed to check. A colleague told me to keep an eye on the fridge because they malfunction when their internal temperature is higher than the external.

Are we still supposed to be worried about rolling blackouts this winter? I can't see how it will help if the entire nation is switching off the TV at the plug and then turning on an electric blanket.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Whoo, save £400 a year while living in misery and STILL paying £2100 in standing charges.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dogging latest:

Still cheaper and more convenient than having the heating on all evening.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Reminds me of when I took my dog up the local hill at 05:30 one day and found a couple there at it, not even in a secluded area. It was a weekday, too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've never encountered urban rutters, not sure if it says more about where I live or where you live.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Reckon I can make my own electric blanket out of old toasters.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Private Speech posted:

That's what couple hundred thousand pounds worth of hard thinking gets you.

Let alone what the Facilitator from Private Consultants On Big Dosh R Us charges.

10-1030am coffee & chatter
1030-1040 keynote speaker
1040-1045 pair up and discuss 'if you were a banana what kind of fruit would you be'
1045-1100 feedback - tell us about your partner what sort of banana they are and what they're hoping to get out of today's session
1100-1130 Breakout room - divide into 4 groups and discuss (a) what you can do in the bathroom to reduce costs (b) what you can do in the bedroom to increase warmth (c) what you can do in the kitchen to reduce costs (d) what you can do in the living room to improve warmth
1130 -1200 Coffee break - people mill around pretending to call the office or read emails rather than talk to each other. Mobile phones - the new Comfort Blankets.
1200-1230 feedback
1230-1315 lunch break in the dining room - all back for prompt 1315 start
1315-1330 people start to actually come back for prompt 1330 start
1330- 1345 summary of what we discussed this morning
1345-1430 Breakout Room - divide into 4 different groups and discuss how now I have stuck red and blue stickies on your foreheads you get into different teams and form different teams with different loyalties and how you can rebel against the govt
1430-1500 feedback
1500-1505 if you need to leave to catch trains, now is the time to go.
1500-1530 tea break
1530-1600 pitches from those with books, CDs, courses & pitchforks to sell.
1600 end of day.

That's £10k please.
Jaeluni Consulting Services

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Reckon I can make my own electric blanket out of old toasters.

Probably could if you just lowered the voltage? Physicists itt is that how you'd generate lower heat? Keep watts same but voltage low?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

Probably could if you just lowered the voltage? Physicists itt is that how you'd generate lower heat? Keep watts same but voltage low?

Can't remember the ins and outs but if you keep watts the same and lower the voltage then the amps go up so you might electrocute yourself.
Watts is joules per second, heat is joules so watts is heat per second.

That's all my fevered brain can remember without googling.

volts x amps = watts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Watts (which is near 100% of heat output for resistive heating) goes up with the square of voltage over resistance, but the resistivity for something like nichrome wire (and most metals) goes up as it gets hotter, so if you're keeping it less than red hot then you'll get lower than expected resistance.

You could fine tune the heat output of a bunch of toaster elements with a variac, but you could also set your bed on fire.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tesseraction posted:

A toaster produces like 10x the amount of heat of a person, a regular electric blanket 1-15x. I think you'd die if you converted one into an electric blanket and kept the wattage the same, to say nothing of multiple toasters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I'm being thick I meant keep amps the same

I've been staring at watts all day and I suck at electrical physics so I brain farted yet again

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Why don't you just toast a lot of bread and cover yourself with them while they're still warm? After the nap you then have a meal at your bed!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is far more sensible than trying to get a bunch of toaster elements to operate at a comfortable temperature and not 800°C right under your sheets.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ok but I need to find a use for the toaster now I toast bread between my graphics cards.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heating the house with my crypto mining rig as I bankrupt myself to gain etherium just for it to finally be the last domino in the crash

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This subject makes me remember how long it took me to realise that Americans are referring to a duvet when they speak of a "comforter".

Iirc they aren't, quite, it's a blanket. Duvets with the removable covers only came in here in the 50s and outside IKEA Im not sure they're commonly available there even now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Anthony Eden hovering indecisively between 'good bedding' and 'nuclear missiles' on the tech tree while Eisenhower just spams the button.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I guess it's more of a quilt

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Nenonen posted:

Why don't you just toast a lot of bread and cover yourself with them while they're still warm? After the nap you then have a meal at your bed!

And the crumbs act as a handy exfoliant.

Tesseraction posted:

I've never encountered urban rutters, not sure if it says more about where I live or where you live.

I think it was a National Trust site!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The only car I've had sex in was a Saab.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I think it was a National Trust site!

Wouldn't surprise me at all tbh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The National Rut.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Hate to think how many house fires there will be this year if people are trying to heat their houses with candles.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The only car I've had sex in was a Saab.

One of these presumably

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do you have sex if you're the one conceived?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Cold this winter? Simply combine a toaster with a regular blanket and you'll be warm for the rest of your life*!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Or be like NJAN99 and have sex in your car. That will keep you toasty warm.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It wasn't his car.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Why do people think heating with candles is a good idea? It's going to be way more expensive than electricity, still. A catalytic propane heater would be way more effective and healthier in an outage anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

UKMT Hoxhaist Tendency would like to point out that a series of small defensive bunkers can also not intervene in the Middle East.

You say this but if the UK ever embarked on a bunker building project it would end up with contractors building bunkers in the middle east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Because you can get a multipack of tealight candles for a quid or two, and people are confident that they can work a candle.