Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Flopsy posted:

Team Star is like they looked at Team Yell and Team Skull and decided ok enough loving around these guys need to be a real threat this time. I accidentally did them out of order so my first encounter was Mela and holy poo poo she made every gym leader up to that point look like a literal nothing burger. I'm not joking when I say they're stronger than the gyms and will wreck you if you're not careful.

Forget Skull and Yell. They're legit more of a threat than any of the actual villainous teams! The fact that a wrestler in a car is more threatening than the likes of Cyrus, Ghetsis, and Lusamine, as well as her region's entire gym circuit, is equal parts hilarious and impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought poison types were immune to being poisoned?! Because my Clodsire is current poisoned and I’m confused!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought poison types were immune to being poisoned?! Because my Clodsire is current poisoned and I’m confused!

Nope, they've always been poisonable. Steel's the only immune type.

e: wait, no, you're right. Maybe they changed that this gen?

e2: oh right Pokemon with Corrosion can still poison Poison-types

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Poison is absolutely immune to being poisoned. You were probably fighting something with the corrosion ability, which allows them and steel types to be poisoned.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Saagonsa posted:

Poison is absolutely immune to being poisoned. You were probably fighting something with the corrosion ability, which allows them and steel types to be poisoned.

You’re right, it was a Sandalit

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing since launch, and still only have 3 or 4 badges. This game is great. It reminds me of how the first season of the anime felt. Just kinda walking around finding pokemon. And eventually I happen to run into a gym, or a not-gym with a car pokemon.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hrist posted:

I've been playing since launch, and still only have 3 or 4 badges. This game is great. It reminds me of how the first season of the anime felt. Just kinda walking around finding pokemon. And eventually I happen to run into a gym, or a not-gym with a car pokemon.
:same: fluttering moth brain is real

Trainers in the wild that appear to be older than my immediate peer group (Nemona & Arven) all deserve to die and their pokemon ground to grist, however.

Meanwhile Team Star is like 90% of the way to figuring out poke-communes...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, there are several characters in this game I’d like to see in animated form (preferably with decent roles) but we’ll see how they ultimately handle the Gen 9 adaption.

There are currently some rumblings among the fanbase that Journeys might be the final Ash season what with him now being a world champion and the title of the upcoming final episode of the series being a direct nod to the title of the first episode of the original series, however nothing’s been confirmed or denied either way yet

I’d personally like it if the anime started being more like the manga (adapting the current game exclusively with a new cast and protagonist each time) but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they kept the status quo dragging along as well.

On another note, some of the “students” you fight as random trainers in this game look like they’re at least 30-40 years old (I also like that just walking by someone doesn’t automatically initiate a battle anymore though only story characters getting a reaction shot when they lose is weird)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 24, 2022

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, there are several characters in this game I’d like to see in animated form (preferably with decent roles) but we’ll see how they ultimately handle the Gen 9 adaption.

There are currently some rumblings among the fanbase that Journeys might be the final Ash season what with him now being a world champion and the title of the upcoming final episode of the series being a direct nod to the title of the first episode of the original series, however nothing’s been confirmed or denied either way yet

I’d personally like it if the anime started being more like the manga (adapting the current game exclusively with a new cast and protagonist each time) but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they kept the status quo dragging along as well.

On another note, some of the “students” you fight as random trainers in this game look like they’re at least 30-40 years old (I also like that just walking by someone doesn’t automatically initiate a battle anymore though only story characters getting a reaction shot when they lose is weird)

It would be a great loving miracle if they dropped the cash cow that is Ash. I don't see it happening because I don't expect the anime to make good decisions but hell it'd be nice.

Also there's no age restrictions at the academy one of the npcs tells you that eary on. Apparently it's reflective of actual school systems in Spain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

It would be a great loving miracle if they dropped the cash cow that is Ash. I don't see it happening because I don't expect the anime to make good decisions but hell it'd be nice.

Me either, it just feels like you could do a lot more with the material if you weren’t always married to having to keep certain characters in the narrative (which is probably why the side projects they do on occasion are more often than not better than the main anime).

Also if you had free rein you could probably have a lot of fun with characters like Nemona, the Chairman, and a large majority of the gym leaders and teachers

quote:

Also there's no age restrictions at the academy one of the npcs tells you that eary on. Apparently it's reflective of actual school systems in Spain.

Ah, I haven’t gone back to the school that much since the one time you’re required to so I wasn’t aware of that (I also didn’t talk to a lot of the NPCs either)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 24, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Larryb posted:

Me either, it just feels like you could do a lot more with the material if you weren’t always married to having to keep certain characters in the narrative (which is probably why the side projects they do on occasion are more often than not better than the main anime).

Also if you had free rein you could probably have a lot of fun with characters like Nemona, the Chairman, and a large majority of the gym leaders and teachers

Ah, I haven’t gone back to the school that much since the one time you’re required to so I wasn’t aware of that (I also didn’t talk to a lot of the NPCs either)

The teachers are actually fleshed out a bit and you mostly just missed out on tutorializimg with some reward at the end of each class.

The only big one I'd recommend for everyone is the history class that gives a little bit of backstory for the region and explains the weird circular doors you can find.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah you should go back to the school, it's neat.

I met a middle aged NPC trainer who said he'd been attending the academy for twenty years. It's pretty awesome if we assume Pokemon World has systems to just allow anyone to stay in school forever if they want.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Anybody have a spare Malicious Armor kicking around? I can’t find a Sinistea for the life of me

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

I am kicking myself for not making a habit of talking to all the trainers again after I've defeated them, sooner (next playthrough, perhaps)!

One elder gentlemanly-but-awkward trainer said to me something along the lines of, "Can you believe that in other regions' leagues you have to make eye contact to start a pokemon battle?"

And I felt that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

Japan's decided she's Hisoka so you're not alone

Checks out

https://twitter.com/manabe822/status/1595701336187625473?s=46&t=rtNgiGOzqq2G-BYIT_tTRw

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

junan_paalla posted:

Eating a sandwich with Encounter boost: normal and hitting up a zone that spawns chanseys is very quick and easy exp, I ground up my team of rejects to endgame shape in the duration of that one sandwich.

This is the way.

Here is someone's vid about it: https://youtu.be/yo-v3ofB-Zo

I don't have a lucky egg and brought a whole squad up to my current level well within 30 minutes with quavawhatever punching Chansey for a bit.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blockhouse posted:

I kind of feel bad for Katy and Brassius because every gym leader you're supposed to do after them have roughly 100% better and more memorable designs and personalities

I like them both, Brassius gives a totally different vibe to any other grass trainer on account of looking grim and haggard

The human characters are pretty stellar all around this time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheDK posted:

This is the way.

Here is someone's vid about it: https://youtu.be/yo-v3ofB-Zo

I don't have a lucky egg and brought a whole squad up to my current level well within 30 minutes with quavawhatever punching Chansey for a bit.

Do certain towns have different ingredient shops or can you get what you need pretty much anywhere?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

Do certain towns have different ingredient shops or can you get what you need pretty much anywhere?

Not sure. Trying this was the first time I even made a sandwich. Also my first attempt I realized you have to hold A to move the ham, not just tap it to pick it up.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I loving hate the sandwich minigame.

Nothing lines up and the camera moves between meats, making it always kinda off.

I can do it I only ruined my first two sandwiches but I still hate it.

Larryb posted:

I'm not sure about ingredients for exotic sandwiches, but ham sandwich stuff is everywhere I'm pretty sure. The thing is you gotta go to one store for your pickles, another store for your ham, etc. Because that's the only way to fill up those towns I guess.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Anybody have a spare Malicious Armor kicking around? I can’t find a Sinistea for the life of me

You're playing violet right? They spawn outside of the Alfornada city limits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BrainDance posted:

I loving hate the sandwich minigame.

Nothing lines up and the camera moves between meats, making it always kinda off.

I can do it I only ruined my first two sandwiches but I still hate it.

I'm not sure about ingredients for exotic sandwiches, but ham sandwich stuff is everywhere I'm pretty sure. The thing is you gotta go to one store for your pickles, another store for your ham, etc. Because that's the only way to fill up those towns I guess.

Good to know. Also as mentioned in the video you can apparently get a free Lucky Egg after beating 5 gyms (the biology teacher shows up at the 6th gym you visit)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Almost got destroyed by a wild Tauros because the first thing that happened is my Fidough landing a critical.

Anger point is scary.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
beat the elite 4 and nemona and guys i think this might be my fave pokemon game? I was grinning like an idiot during the whole battle with Nemona, she's such a great rival. also even though people love to (rightfully) poo poo on the graphics, the lighting engine in this is beautiful, especially at night.

now into the real endgame... I'm excited

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Not a fan of how there's no reliable way to obtain the ev lowering berries. Don't know why they couldn't have just put them in chancey supply after a certain point. Makes it very annoying to properly ev train a pokemon that I used in my party for the main game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Caught a breloom with a Rock tera type that knows Spore, so that's my capturing troubles pretty much over.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

HopperUK posted:

Caught a breloom with a Rock tera type that knows Spore, so that's my capturing troubles pretty much over.

I just bought a couple hundred quick balls with my oodles of cash. If the first one doesn't catch? Run away and then immediately ram it again for another attempt.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Flopsy posted:

You're playing violet right? They spawn outside of the Alfornada city limits.

I haven’t gone down that way yet, but a helpful goon threw me a spare that they had

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Almost got destroyed by a wild Tauros because the first thing that happened is my Fidough landing a critical.

Anger point is scary.

After the last few games having kids gloves on from start-to-finish, it's utterly refreshing to actually have a challenge in some of the wild mons and even the random trainers. I got absolutely bodied by a guy with a Zangoose just powering it up and slicing my team to ribbons. Nevermind people having more than three mon's before the endgame in general. Absolutely loving it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

beat the elite 4 and nemona and guys i think this might be my fave pokemon game? I was grinning like an idiot during the whole battle with Nemona, she's such a great rival. also even though people love to (rightfully) poo poo on the graphics, the lighting engine in this is beautiful, especially at night.

now into the real endgame... I'm excited

When you're finished read the scarlet/violet book in the entrance hall at the academy. It gives so much context and makes things about the final area so much more interesting and eerie. I also want to nerd out about it with someone else.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I just bought a couple hundred quick balls with my oodles of cash. If the first one doesn't catch? Run away and then immediately ram it again for another attempt.

Oh I know but I'm not at the point where I can buy them yet so I'm a total beggar, just used my only one on a Leafeon. I'm about to do my fifth gym, just hoping they come along soon

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know if Tera types can be passed on via breeding?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone know if Tera types can be passed on via breeding?

Nope

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Shiny hunting is so loving easy in this game with the mass outbreaks. Without any bonuses or chance buffs, I found 4 shiny Marill in about an hour and a half today.

Working on getting a shiny Varoom right now but that's considerably more tedious since they're aggressive and not as distinct. But I'm gonna get at least one, damnit

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

can anyone help me with the Eeeve Tera raids? I'm hoping to get one with the Fire Tera Type and good IVs to be a Leafeon, but I'm nowhere near ready to begin raiding.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

After the last few games having kids gloves on from start-to-finish, it's utterly refreshing to actually have a challenge in some of the wild mons and even the random trainers. I got absolutely bodied by a guy with a Zangoose just powering it up and slicing my team to ribbons. Nevermind people having more than three mon's before the endgame in general. Absolutely loving it.

Hell I once got owned by a trainer because his Pokemon were a few levels higher than mine.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
How do you check for IVs in this game?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Game good. I just wish they'd given the Paradoxes actual dex entries.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I probably won't need all of these lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Mesadoram posted:

How do you check for IVs in this game?

You unlock the IV judge menu in the box by going to a Pokecenter after becoming Champion