Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Which weapon you zealots using to get abhor the mutant? I'm having the worst luck with this penance.

I did it with an axe to the head of a mutant, I think a charged thunder hammer would probably be simplest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Just got the braced autogun, and yeah, pretty clearly the best autogun by a fair margin. Little annoyed it's not available out the gate.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
The camo talent for Vet is insane. poo poo just ignores you if there is other options basically.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Multiple specials is of course expected on higher difficulties. Four bursters at once is probably something that should not be allowed.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
is there any way to tell if a weapon is going to be better or not before spending your ducats? I just spent half my coin to go from a grey 118 mk Ia infantry lasgun to a green 161 mk IV infantry lasgun and it does less damage despite having a bigger overall number and a longer damage bar, probably a really dumb question but are shorter damage bars better?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

is there any way to tell if a weapon is going to be better or not before spending your ducats? I just spent half my coin to go from a grey 118 mk Ia infantry lasgun to a green 161 mk IV infantry lasgun and it does less damage despite having a bigger overall number and a longer damage bar, probably a really dumb question but are shorter damage bars better?

The IV lasgun has a better base damage range than the Ia does, bars are not comparable between weapon types.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Orv posted:

The IV lasgun has a better base damage range than the Ia does, bars are not comparable between weapon types.

this is what I had read but the IV is doing less damage in the meat grinder than the Ia with both a bigger overall number, mk number, and bar despite costing 4x as much

it's confusing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

this is what I had read but the IV is doing less damage in the meat grinder than the Ia with both a bigger overall number, mk number, and bar despite costing 4x as much

it's confusing

Oh I misread. Yeah I'm not sure about that one.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011
The IV is a carbine that trades damage for rate of fire. The bars are only useful when comparing exact weapon models.

It’s counterintuitive but sometimes you can get a hint about a given weapon’s role by reading the fluff text when you inspect it in the shop.

Other than that, gotta test things out in the Meat Grinder

For the infantry lasguns;
Kantrael Ia - General purpose jack of all trades
Kantrael IV - Weaker rapid fire carbine, slightly more ammo efficient
Kantrael XII - More damage, lower fire rate

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They reintroduced the bug where subtitles keep turning on. :(

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
i'm still crashing a bunch after the patch

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Also, a question about the level 30 cutscene, for those that have seen it: Were we supposed to know who the other person there was?

They're another random warband member. Every time you see the "other" group of four ex-convict soldiers, you can see that person is one of them, as they level up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Game owns, wish it didn't run like dogshit with RTX on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Eviscerator is really fun. It's such a dumb heavy metal weapon and every time I swing into a horde it's like a meat grinder - bodies just exploding into parts. It's more fun than the warhammer but both are extremely satisfying to use.

So what's the difference between wounds and max health? Does an extra wound just segment your health even further without adding anything?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I regret to inform the thread that I am good at Veteran.

:(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just heard the characters talking about someone onboard named Grendyl, I think, but I have absolutely no clue who this person is. I've never heard the name before.

Orv posted:

I did it with an axe to the head of a mutant, I think a charged thunder hammer would probably be simplest.

This penance kinda sucks, every time I've had a decent shot at it, the mutant picks me to charge and just scoops me up before/while my attack is coming out.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

A Bug posted:

I managed to snag this combat knife on my Zealot and it has been absolutely ridiculous. From testing in the meat grinder, it seems like the bleeding counts as a hit and therefore applies itself. I could tap a mauler once and it would ramp up to 30 damage per tick, staying up and bypassing armor until it dies.

I have this as a single bleed stack version on my psyker, and there is something funky on the bleeds. Sometimes they stack up impossibly fast and kill even the monsters in just few seconds.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

S.J. posted:

I just heard the characters talking about someone onboard named Grendyl, I think, but I have absolutely no clue who this person is. I've never heard the name before.

This penance kinda sucks, every time I've had a decent shot at it, the mutant picks me to charge and just scoops me up before/while my attack is coming out.

Grendyl is the inquisitor in charge of the whole tertium operation, they're the one speaking making the speech in the cutscene with the servitor with the hologram face.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

S.J. posted:

Inquisitor Grendyl is the character in charge of the whole operation. Nobody seems to know who they are (and, at one point, a character isn't even clear on their gender). The only interaction with Grendyl at this point is through the creepy servitor from the "I AM A WARRIOR" cutscene.

The other characters:

Interrogator Rennick (the dude who looks a bit like Zorg from Fifth Element) is Grendyl's second in command. He's the one who's in charge of everything on a day to day basis, and the person everyone redirects to with stuff like "Perhaps you'd like to take your complaints to Rennick?" or "This is Rennick's plan, take it up with him."

Explicator Zola is from Tertium and has some sort of unspecified dark past with some of the gangs (particularly the Water Cartel). She's the female voice narrating most of the missions, and the one you save in the prologue.

Sergeant Morrow is the gruff white dude with the facial scar and the mustache. Apparently he may have been lost in the warp; if so, he's witnessed a bunch of centuries-old history. It is presented as a rumor though. He's the male voice narrating some of the missions.

Hadron is the techpriest, and the one who yells at you about the servo skull in scanning and hacking missions. More machine than woman, twisted and annoying.

Masozi is the pilot. She apparently cheats at cards, or maybe the Veteran just sucks. She's also somewhat insubordinate, which annoys some of the Zealot personalities.

Sire Melk is the guy with the cyber-eye who gives weekly missions and sells rarer gear. Everyone just kind of speculates about what his whole deal is. He's voiced by David Rintoul, the voice of Bardin.

The woman with the bouffant hairdo in the opening trailer is the captain of the ship, apparently a rogue trader (a free captain who owns her own ship). I don't know her name, and other than some characters discussing what exactly a rogue trader is, she doesn't get discussed much.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's kind of hilarious because I don't think I've seen that name in a single trailer.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

S.J. posted:

That's kind of hilarious because I don't think I've seen that name in a single trailer.

They say the name a bunch in the actual game. I'd question anyones capability to absorb knowledge if they put more than 5 hours into this game and didn't know at least the basics of the characters.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

S.J. posted:

It's never expressed in a game trailer, no. They've kept a bunch of it dark.

Also, I love the Grenade Gauntlet far too much for words. Using it is a joy I've not experienced with other Ogryn weapons, for sure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Orv posted:

The leveling story is pretty clearly just establishing you as a full member of the warband to prepare for whatever the seasonal story is gonna do but it is pretty lame - though I guess fairly reasonable in universe - that it’s just six cutscenes of “Go prove yourself. No, more, you dork.”

I like this personally.

I hope once we enter the inner circles that the inquisitor cracks out the shuriken weapons and digital lasers.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

MantisClaw posted:

The IV is a carbine that trades damage for rate of fire. The bars are only useful when comparing exact weapon models.

It’s counterintuitive but sometimes you can get a hint about a given weapon’s role by reading the fluff text when you inspect it in the shop.

Other than that, gotta test things out in the Meat Grinder

For the infantry lasguns;
Kantrael Ia - General purpose jack of all trades
Kantrael IV - Weaker rapid fire carbine, slightly more ammo efficient
Kantrael XII - More damage, lower fire rate

oh OK drat I thought the mks were just better versions of the same thing as the name is otherwise identical

good to learn early on though thanks!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jerkface posted:

They say the name a bunch in the actual game. I'd question anyones capability to absorb knowledge if they put more than 5 hours into this game and didn't know at least the basics of the characters.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What gun are you guys liking on Vet? The recon Lasgun and the first Boltgun you unlock are my faves, but I wish they had scopes lol.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Draynar posted:

The camo talent for Vet is insane. poo poo just ignores you if there is other options basically.

Sure, but is that necessarily a good thing? The Veteran has higher Toughness shield than the other classes and good regen talents, so you’re able to absorb ranged fire quite well. If you’re forcing the enemy to focus fire, then you might be getting your teammates killed.

fadam posted:

What gun are you guys liking on Vet? The recon Lasgun and the first Boltgun you unlock are my faves, but I wish they had scopes lol.

The recon lasgun with the slower rate of fire, myself. It has very similar DPS to the faster recon lasgun, but almost identical clip and total ammo capacity. That makes it much more ammo efficient. And the full auto nature means it’s very easy to compensate for incoming suppression sway.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Apparently Inquisitor Grendyl is mentioned once right after you load into the hub after the intro, but I'm about 40 hours into the game between two characters (granted I was skipping dialogue etc with the 2nd) and I think that was the last time I heard that name mentioned until a few hours ago today. It's never come up in the random mission chatter before that at all. Huh. Haven't finished maxing out trust on my main character though so maybe they talk about them more in a cutscene I haven't seen yet.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Draynar posted:

Gotta remember this when I finish running Zealot this week. Would like to be able to finish a lasgun magazine for once without getting my rear end stabbed by some fuckin zombo

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Cease to Hope posted:

The woman with the bouffant hairdo in the opening trailer is the captain of the ship, apparently a rogue trader (a free captain who owns her own ship). I don't know her name, and other than some characters discussing what exactly a rogue trader is, she doesn't get discussed much.
Her subtitled name in the opening cutscene is Brahms, I believe she's referred to as the Shipmistress of the Mourningstar in game by the other cast while you're onboard in the hub ( she's also referred to as Shipmistress Emora Brahms in the ingame credits so there's no mystery there )

S.J. posted:

Apparently Inquisitor Grendyl is mentioned once right after you load into the hub after the intro, but I'm about 40 hours into the game between two characters (granted I was skipping dialogue etc with the 2nd) and I think that was the last time I heard that name mentioned until a few hours ago today. It's never come up in the random mission chatter before that at all. Huh. Haven't finished maxing out trust on my main character though so maybe they talk about them more in a cutscene I haven't seen yet.
Grendyl is definitely a mystery, and generally when they do come up in the chatter it's because no one has seen them.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 25, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The characters do bang on about Grendyl in missions every now and then.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm sure they have for other people, but there was an almost 40 hour gap between the the most recent time I had heard the name and the time before that. Plenty of chatter about everyone and everything else though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

If you've played smelter they always bring up the Leman Russes being a part of Grendyls "plan" - I think the professional veteran voice has a couple of Grendyl lines, which may be why I've heard it so much.

have been idling in the hub and I like that they have audio queues for when new missions pop up. Having to load in a hub and run around is definitely annoying if you're slamming missions but it does add a lot of atmosphere. I could see it being very cool if you load in and the vox speakers are blaring on about a special mission - all hands on deck - lets loving go. Would get me pumped up for sure.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

100 e-bux shy.... whyyyyyy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
If it's any clue, Grendyl themself isn't credited, just their servitors voiced by Saltzpyre and Sienna ( Tim Bentinck and Bethan Dixon-Bate ). So who knows if and when Grendyl is ever revealed.....

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLHQVq-a-0U

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

those are insane perks the stagger on hit is excellent, stun locked a plague ogryn today with my purple lasgun with that perk

S.J.
May 19, 2008

God I miss this series.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Inquisitor Grendyl is the lady with the fancy hair on the command deck of the ship in the story cutscene, I presume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

Inquisitor Grendyl is the lady with the fancy hair on the command deck of the ship in the story cutscene, I presume.

No, that's the captain of the ship. Brahms, apparently.