Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is wrong with your butcher that they can't wrap meat without leaking blood everywhere?

you expect me to talk to someone at the butcher counter instead of just picking up a slab of meat on top of diaper material in a plastic tray in plastic wrap that still leaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

happy thanksgiving

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Petanque posted:

i buy a huge rack of ribs and just carry it around, flintstones style

hell yes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

:thunk:
Seems sus

"I love taking home these cheap lovely easily breakable plastic bags to put my cat poo poo in!"

Animal poo poo is 100% what they mean lol.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

hell yes

Smythe homing on the words 'huge rack'

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hell, same

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Animal poo poo is 100% what they mean lol.

i didn't buy garbage bags for ~15 years, i only used grocery bags. using a small garbage can in the kitchen was nice, because it would fill up faster than it could get stinky. now i have to buy new plastic film to put all my extra plastic trash into.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is wrong with your butcher that they can't wrap meat without leaking blood everywhere?

a butcher? let me just add that to list of fictional occupations that i can't afford to interact with, like doctor

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also baker and candlestick maker.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just heard out my window a guy on some kind of cruiser motorcycle absolutely flip out on a driver for cutting him off.

"gently caress you you fuckin' dick, gently caress you!!! You gonna cut me off, gently caress YOU!!! gently caress you gently caress you fuuuuuck youuuu!!!" for a good half a minute or so. The driver didn't say anything.

I remember when that used to be me. :unsmith:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What causes those kind of meltdowns? The ones where you just don't loving let it go and you just keep going on yelling and yelling and yelling? What causes that? How do you sustain that?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Specifically asking from a vehicle standpoint, not the other areas of life

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What causes those kind of meltdowns? The ones where you just don't loving let it go and you just keep going on yelling and yelling and yelling? What causes that? How do you sustain that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

Driving is stressful because of the constant threat of imminent death. When someone nearly hits you with their car, it feels like they are trying to kill you. Some people react to that with incessant rage, even though it is not productive at all.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
EDIT: ^^^ Yeah that, well said.

Well any time I ever 'saw red' and screamed at someone (as a cyclist or motorcyclist) it was over a potentially injurious and damaging collision caused by their stupidity. I think maybe some people express being extra defensive - to account for the vulnerabilities of being on two wheels - in outwardly aggressive ways, and to an extent that's probably fair.

I couldn't speak this guy's mental state was or how severe the potential collision, I was on the shitter so I couldn't look out the window at the scene.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FlutieFlake posted:

When someone nearly hits you with their car, it feels like they are trying to kill you. Some people react to that with incessant rage, even though it is not productive at all.
This makes everything sound reasonable in this hell world we have built.

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

CopperHound posted:

This makes everything sound reasonable in this hell world we have built.

Yeah, in theory, people who lack the emotional stability needed to drive in traffic should use another mode of transportation. Too bad most of North America has been developed with the assumption that everybody will drive everywhere.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I do occasionally yell at drivers cutting me off as I try to walk across a crosswalk. Gotten some few heated exchanges, esp with some guy who just wouldnt loving stop, hed just slow down to a gentle roll, ready to floor the gas the moment im out of his range.

Good god can you stop for one loving second? I guarantee your timeloss isnt gonna affect your pb or wr attempts.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
actually it is good and right to yell at people who use their cars to pretend to kill you for a laff

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have definitely said rude things and made gestures at drivers who, for example, cross a double yellow line on a 2-lane road to get around a bus at a marked stop and then floor it through the crosswalk to avoid oncoming traffic.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Normalize motorists being yelled at by the public when they behave irresponsibly.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

had to install a car seat today :negative:

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Type B personality disorders in general are prone to this sort of thing, but there's plenty of neurotypical people who do this shot too, so I don't think it's that straightforward.

Apr 7, 2003

Cars turn their drivers into sociopaths, ain't much more to it than that. Tom Vanderbilt covers it pretty well in his book Traffic - a car is a private space operating in a public space and people tend to treat what's going on around their car like they would if it were going on in their living room.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Cars turn their drivers into sociopaths, ain't much more to it than that. Tom Vanderbilt covers it pretty well in his book Traffic - a car is a private space operating in a public space and people tend to treat what's going on around their car like they would if it were going on in their living room.

I think the main thing is the cognitive dissonance of the suicidality and murderousness of traveling at a speed that’s a fraction that when other drivers will start purposefully trying to run you off the road for driving too slow.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

people tend to treat what's going on around their car like they would if it were going on in their living room.
With how much time I spend picking my nose while driving, I agree.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

eXXon posted:

I have definitely said rude things and made gestures at drivers who, for example, cross a double yellow line on a 2-lane road to get around a bus at a marked stop and then floor it through the crosswalk to avoid oncoming traffic.
A couple of years ago time this broseph driver played chicken with me when I was crossing a neighborhood street by an elementary school, then he honked and got out of his car screaming about how I didn't have the right of way. The dude then proceeded to get up in my face, and I grabbed his sunglasses off his face and broke them. The entire time his girlfriend was in the car yelling at him to get back in the car and to not be such an idiot, and then he started whining about how they were like $900 sunglasses (they were not). That was my whiny bitch driver story, thanks for listening.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i've never gotten into a confrontation with another driver because i drive defensively and yield to people being dangerous or aggressive

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

i've never gotten into a confrontation with another driver because i drive defensively and yield to people being dangerous or aggressive
I was a ped when this happened. I don't get into confrontations with other drivers while driving, but as a cyclist or ped I have a lot lower tolerance for people who are trying to kill me. I'll usually always take right of way crossing streets, and force drivers who don't want to yield to yield. Better me than a kid.

Apr 7, 2003

I had a driver do that poo poo to me for crossing in front of his car at a stop sign. Off duty cop and made sure I knew it

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I had a driver do that poo poo to me for crossing in front of his car at a stop sign. Off duty cop and made sure I knew it
The good news is that you have nothing to fear from any of these people once they step out of their cars, although an off-duty cop might be an exception.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I hate to inform you all that cars might actually be cool and good now

https://i.imgur.com/PZdwECL.mp4

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thats the only good car

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

As a pedestrian I've yelled at drivers behaving badly, especially if they're going the wrong way up a one way which is dangerous as gently caress.

My question was more about the long sustained meltdown yelling that goes on and on and on. I don't know how people do that or what causes it. Maybe I'm just old and tired and jealous of people with that kind of energy.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

bike tory posted:

That's bait

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

As a pedestrian I've yelled at drivers behaving badly, especially if they're going the wrong way up a one way which is dangerous as gently caress.

My question was more about the long sustained meltdown yelling that goes on and on and on. I don't know how people do that or what causes it. Maybe I'm just old and tired and jealous of people with that kind of energy.
Adrenaline's a hell of a drug.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The last time I got hit by a car I was just too stunned to say anything. The last time I almost got hit by a car I cursed a blue streak until they were out of my eye sight.

Given that leveling of reaction hopefully next time I'll kick their mirror of while screaming at them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Oh wow, he painted it. It used to be green. I also didn't know he was in Alberta.

I've never knocked off mirrors or kicked in panels, as a cyclist or motorcyclist, though I know plenty who have.

A story for the thread, although this one is more ACAB than gently caress Cars: Once, as a cyclist, I almost copped an assault charge for spitting on the hood of someone's car. This was probably the summer of 2010, maybe '11, and I was riding home across the city after crashing at a friend's house. I was on a main road without a bike lane, and someone in a station wagon drifted to the right, into me, to the point that my handlebars were making contact with her car and the parked cars to my right. I hadn't had many encounters with drivers at this point and it was real scary; I thought she was going to squish me. When she came to a stop I got ahead of her car and yelled a bit, and yes, not proud of it, in a moment of rage I spat on her car, then went on my way.

More than two kilometers later, a cop pulled me over. He asked for my ID, and never once got out of his car - I had to reach over his passenger seat to hand him the ID. If you guessed that this cop was corpulent, you'd be right. He explained that someone had witnessed the incident and that if they could find the victim and get a statement, I'd be charged with assault. I was shocked, although pretty immediately my mind was like "yeah I guess so," as even back then I knew this city hated cyclists. We sat for probably 20 minutes, my anxiety growing as I baked in the Sun and this cop sat in his AC, although near the end I could tell he was getting flustered because nobody was getting back to him on the rover. Either this driver was long gone or she didn't want to give a statement (thanks lady!).

Finally he handed me back my ID and said "OK, you got lucky, but listen: There are people in this city who would beat your rear end for doing that." And I thought drat, true, a life lesson from a pig. And then he leaned in a little bit closer across his passenger seat and said "Matter of fact, if you did that to my car, I'd put six loving rounds into you."

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

more ACAB than gently caress Cars:
more or less inseparable

Mister Speaker posted:

Once, as a cyclist, I almost copped an assault charge for spitting on the hood of someone's car.
I'm in the process of trying to help a friend find a lawyer because they got a battery charge from spitting on somebody that appeared to be threatening some vehicular violence against them in a parking lot.

I wasn't there. I don't know the details. Probably was dumb, but it does seem like an unreasonable reaction to being threatened with grave bodily harm.

CopperHound has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Nov 25, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
People who see cars as like an extension of themselves blow me away. A friend of mine who I used to think was pretty cool - I told her about the time as a pedestrian someone turned right into my leg and hit me and I slammed my fist down on their hood to get them to stop - and she was like "wow I would have been pissed and slammed on the gas for that" and I was like "welp guess we arent friends any more what the gently caress"

Like how the gently caress could you pull an assault charge for spitting on a car unless people see the car as an extension of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

bike tory posted:

I once saw a car like that in San Diego except it was purple and had “Statutory Grape” painted on the side.