Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotropical
Jul 19, 2022

Blaziken386 posted:

considering we had swappable mounts in PLA and changing between them made riding feel much clunkier than it ever does in this game, im fine with the game having one dude who can just do it all

Yeah, the balloon races got really annoying by the end of it, since you have to contort your hands on the controller to dash at full speed, hit all the balloons, and switch to a different ride on the go, which doesn't have dedicated switch buttons so you just have to memorize what mount comes up next. It's a mess. Having the same kind of ride challenges in this game would be a hundred times more playable and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

I respect and admire the cinderblock that acts as Nemona's brain.

She's a player character that OHKOs everything because they're way over leveled.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

400 people click on the 5-star raid but only 4 can join, and instead of saying "sorry we're full" it just hangs out. (Or something equally dumb).

Yeah. Raids fill up much faster than the list updates, and seemingly they don't keep any kind of "this raid is no longer recruiting" dummy entry up, or a list re-check during connection. So the only way your game can handle it is to time-out the connection after spending a minute waiting for a response from something that no longer exists.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 25, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Dang, guess my raids are unpopular then. Sometimes my 5* fills up in a few seconds but other times no one joins the entire time, or I have to wait a couple minutes.

(Idk if it's just mons no one wants to fight or if it's just a netcode thing though.)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Area Zero music is giving big Akira vibes and I love it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

Still silly that you can't ride a regular Cyclizar at any point in the game.

Yet another reason we should be able to join Team Star

:sigh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I found the daft punk helmets and now I really wish I could change out of the uniform

I’m surprised it took them this long to do a desert oasis town. Cascaraffa is pretty

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a Larvitar outbreak today. I beat 60, and then spent an hour trying the picnic trick I saw. Pretty sure I got gaslit by a Kotaku article.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So as I finish up the game, I think to me what it represents overall is that it is so close to being amazing but it doesn't come together in the end, at least for me.

The story is easily the games strongest point, with a surprisingly great cast and some fun moments. A massive step up to SwSh and while I prefer SuMo, this is still a pokemon game with a good story.

I do not find the overworld good. It feels pretty boring to explore because there is no friction. Wild pokemon are not a challenge, even the aggressive ones are rarely quick enough to touch you, and you can still just escape the battle. Pokemon trying to hit you, the trainer, is the missing piece that made Arceus's overworld so good. There's no trial of combat, since trainers don't agro, and there's no puzzles beyond have the proper titan upgrade.

The battles are the most frustrating to me, because it comes so close to being incredible. There are some really fun enemy move sets, clever use of Tera types in gyms, and some real potential to be hard, handicapped by the small number of mons the enemy as. Most only have one. If they're fun they might have three. It's the games biggest weakness.

The level curve was also a bad issue, way too easy to get overleveled and if you want a decent route you have to look it up because I don't know how you'd stumble on it. Not having Arceus's damage formula so that lower level mons were still a threat was also a shame.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Eimi posted:

So as I finish up the game, I think to me what it represents overall is that it is so close to being amazing but it doesn't come together in the end, at least for me.

The story is easily the games strongest point, with a surprisingly great cast and some fun moments. A massive step up to SwSh and while I prefer SuMo, this is still a pokemon game with a good story.

I do not find the overworld good. It feels pretty boring to explore because there is no friction. Wild pokemon are not a challenge, even the aggressive ones are rarely quick enough to touch you, and you can still just escape the battle. Pokemon trying to hit you, the trainer, is the missing piece that made Arceus's overworld so good. There's no trial of combat, since trainers don't agro, and there's no puzzles beyond have the proper titan upgrade.

The battles are the most frustrating to me, because it comes so close to being incredible. There are some really fun enemy move sets, clever use of Tera types in gyms, and some real potential to be hard, handicapped by the small number of mons the enemy as. Most only have one. If they're fun they might have three. It's the games biggest weakness.

The level curve was also a bad issue, way too easy to get overleveled and if you want a decent route you have to look it up because I don't know how you'd stumble on it. Not having Arceus's damage formula so that lower level mons were still a threat was also a shame.

Oddly I really didn't have much of a damage curve issue. Fights stayed fairly challenging throughout and the only gym I overleveled for was the water one. Everything else kept pace with me pretty well but then again I went for Larry as my fourth badge.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just realized why Tinkaton's shiny is the way it is and that's so loving funny

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Terper posted:

I think the endgame strongly justifies Miraidon/Koraidon's role in the story as the only travel option you have. For future games I'd like them to open it up more, yeah, but I think it was the right choice for this game.

Yeah, I’m a big fan how they used the cover Legendary in this game because it’s the only real time you have an actual connection to them, outside of I guess Nebby in SM.

In a lot of ways, Koraidon/Miraidon are effectively just your other starter, so when you get to finally use them in battle, it lands better than just being the ‘obligatory Legendary Battle’ they’ve been doing since BW.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Is there any way to get shiny gimmighoul?

Eimi posted:

Haven't hit the end credits yet, but so far I agree with all of this. Tera typing especially feels like wasted potential. It could add a neat layer of strategy... if strategy was ever actually needed. The only moderate challenge I've encountered is Eri's team star battle (the fighting one). It actually ended up being a pretty good moment-- the only reason I beat her was that the last pokemon I was using dodged an attack out of love, so when she commented afterward on how much my pokemon clearly care about me, it felt more meaningful.

That said, despite the issues this is still my favorite mainline pokemon game by a mile.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I'm in the post-game now, and this has easily been one of my best Pokemon experiences. SuMo still edges out ahead I think, if only because it was a more polished technically.

The story was solid, and it's exactly what I wanted after SwSh's mediocre plot. Different character dynamics show really well in the writing, and all of the NPCs were likeable. It's especially evident during the final descent. Speaking of writing, this is probably the most I've laughed at a Pokemon game too. Random trainer quips were really sharp.

Gym challenges were a little mixed, but I'm glad none of the gimmicks lasted too long. Most of the leaders were well defined, with Normal, Electric, and Ghost gyms really taking the cake. Teacher/school interactions were on the edge of becoming tedious, but the characterizations saved it.

As for the overall gameplay, I do miss the more linear and defined Gameboy experiences. Open world is neat and all, but I miss exploring the interiors of power plants, or ghostly ship-wrecks. Hopefully they can fit those into future generations.

Quality improvements are great too, like move training and box management. This is the first time I'm planning on completing the dex, because the game isn't nearly as clunky to use (though there is still a lot of clunk, to be sure).

Pussy Quipped posted:

Area Zero music is giving big Akira vibes and I love it

And yeah, echoing the love for the music. ShSw was wholly forgettable, but there are a ton of great tracks in SV. The above mentioned especially already ranks alongside my other favorites - Nanu's theme and Zinnia ORAS battle. Reminds me a lot of this Xenogears track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6metMR-R_RM

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 25, 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Only music I didn't like was the Gym Leader theme. It just doesn't really fit and they shouldn't have tried to ape Sword and Shields chanting. Also I kinda wish the gym leaders aces tera'd into a type to counter their weakness instead of just 'now this thing is a bug, it will die like all the rest in one shot to flame thrower.

Also I don't really remember the E4 theme at all

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Its not trying to Ape the cheering crowds of SwSh its just a vocal line added to give it an extra layer to make the final stretch feel more climactic. It's way more cheerful and playful than the attempted sports chant.of SwSh which makes sense because every gym fight is framed as a much more personal and fun fight thank to the addition cut in dialogue and the gyms gimmicks like the people watching Tyme perform and boosting you or her or the crowd coming in to try and cheer Larry up and make him get.more into. It's more "This is us having real fun" tonally than swsh."this is getting serious" chanting.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I was going to wait til after the Charizard raid but gently caress it, I'm impatient, I want to play through the game again with an entirely different team and at a more leisurely pace. And we don't have access to Home yet, correct? Can anybody hang onto my legendaries and starter and one or two other guys, and then trade them back to me a couple hours later when I've unlocked trading?
In return, if you're a scarlet player, I can send you over some of the version exclusive/ paradox mons. Keep in mind that they're rare and I haven't even seen half of them spawn, but I can make an effort. PM if interested.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Some of the mystery trade pokemon I receive have the ENG tag while some have none or other tags, do these count as foreign for matsuda method? I bought my game from the eshop so I'm guessing it's some sort of european version, but still in full english.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

I was going to wait til after the Charizard raid but gently caress it, I'm impatient, I want to play through the game again with an entirely different team and at a more leisurely pace. And we don't have access to Home yet, correct? Can anybody hang onto my legendaries and starter and one or two other guys, and then trade them back to me a couple hours later when I've unlocked trading?
In return, if you're a scarlet player, I can send you over some of the version exclusive/ paradox mons. Keep in mind that they're rare and I haven't even seen half of them spawn, but I can make an effort. PM if interested.

Unless you really need online access while you play through this second run, it'd be much easier to just make a second user on the Switch for a second save file - you don't need to link it to a Nintendo account, and HOME can see other users' saves while logged in on your main one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honestly I didn't like the cheering in sword/shield either

It feels so awkward having it start up then the gym leader's ace insta dies and it's just like 'well then'. If you one shot the gym leader the crowd should have this awkard like, 'ehhh' toning down effect

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Diet Poison posted:

make a new profile on your switch so you can keep the old save :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wish the singing started much earlier. after 1 minute and 30 seconds. and it never stops

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Unless you really need online access while you play through this second run, it'd be much easier to just make a second user on the Switch for a second save file - you don't need to link it to a Nintendo account, and HOME can see other users' saves while logged in on your main one.

Oh so even if Profile 2 doesn't have online access, I should be able to pull Pokemon off it and into Home when that comes out in the spring, using Profile 1's online access? Neat, I didn't think that was possible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I don't really remember the E4 theme at all

Have you listened to it on youtube? There's a bug where it repeats the first few bars instead of playing the whole song.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does the game tell you about the Pokédex trophies? Because I only heard about it from my 8-year-old nephew. Getting free stuff for every ten Pokédex entries you fill is incredibly awesome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is there a Move Tutor in this game? I notice sometimes when leveling up using the Let’s Go mechanic the icon indicating a Pokémon wants to learn a new move pops up but the prompt itself gets skipped

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Larryb posted:

Is there a Move Tutor in this game? I notice sometimes when leveling up using the Let’s Go mechanic the icon indicating a Pokémon wants to learn a new move pops up but the prompt itself gets skipped

You can relearn moves right from the summary screen now

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Larryb posted:

Go into that Pokemon's details, go to its moves (I think you gotta tab over one) and hit A; it gives you the option to change its moves at any point outside battle. They've done away with a lot of NPCs in favor of just letting you change poo poo whenever.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You can change nicknames that way too, finally.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I’ve encountered several shinies and was able to have Gallade relearn False Swipe and Hypnosis for the fight, badass mechanic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Good to know, thanks!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Have you listened to it on youtube? There's a bug where it repeats the first few bars instead of playing the whole song.

I listened to the Elite Four song online before attempting in case I got hit by the bug and I did! wooow... bugged out its kind of like a worse version of the SMT3 combat preamble but it doesnt ever get started

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I know the target audience is kids, I keep telling myself this--but goddamn can you little shits NOT bring your goddamn dragon into the raid for the fifteenth goddamn time!? It's maddening. I know they want to show off their special new pokemon I get it but Jesus Christ.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yewww, just caught a shiny Manky. Not exactly the most exciting shiny coloration but since he's got a new evolution this gen he can join the team.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Flopsy posted:

I know the target audience is kids, I keep telling myself this--but goddamn can you little shits NOT bring your goddamn dragon into the raid for the fifteenth goddamn time!? It's maddening. I know they want to show off their special new pokemon I get it but Jesus Christ.

my team of 6 Mewtwos from back in the day says otherwise

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PunishedEnzoMatrix posted:

Yewww, just caught a shiny Manky. Not exactly the most exciting shiny coloration but since he's got a new evolution this gen he can join the team.

Shiny Annihilape is pretty nice!

I evolved Primeape last night by running out the PP of the required move twice on a Meowth as it tried in vain to hurt me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That was the one good thing about Zacian, at least it's signature move did bonus damage to raid targets so even if you were dumb like me Great Wolf Sif was good.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Eimi posted:

That was the one good thing about Zacian, at least it's signature move did bonus damage to raid targets so even if you were dumb like me Great Wolf Sif was good.

True, Zacian was such a murder machine that even showing it off never bothered me that much. But a lot of the time I'm facing down a fire type or something and they bring something in that starts up an instant sunny day so it starts hitting harder. Repeat this about ten times and I usually have to give up because nobody seems to realize what the problem is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They just love their dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Haven't had anyone just spamming the legendary when it won't work, but I have seen a guy who brought a talonflame and just spammed brave bird, killing it with recoil every time it attacked. I assume he knew what he was doing, though.