Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Epic High Five posted:

Ah but who could resist dialing random numbers on a payphone

Somebody with 13 or higher in Volition. If they're lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Eason the Fifth posted:

My most controversial opinion: game is better without any voice acting

That's insane the psychological option is the best which must turn off the phasmid voice btw because I've never heard it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i finally finally sat down and played through this game. i really bounced off it a couple times (dumbass softlock bullshit on the initial release and an unexpected game over where i lost way too much progress) but decided to give it one more shot and i'm glad i did.

this game is an absolute gem and deserves every accolade it's received (and more). i'm going to be thinking about it for the rest of my life

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Doing another playthrough and man, breaking the news of the missing husband just doesn't get any easier

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

My most controversial opinion: game is better without any voice acting

I used no sound my first run through (because I have kids ) until the karaoke check.

No regrets.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

speaking of karaoke I really like how failing the check has harry try to match the range of sea power’s vocalist and not quite get there, and succeeding has him perform the song in a sombre, cohenesque fashion which kills

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MizuZero posted:

speaking of karaoke I really like how failing the check has harry try to match the range of sea power’s vocalist and not quite get there, and succeeding has him perform the song in a sombre, cohenesque fashion which kills

imo the failed check is canon but i can understand the other opinion

e: worth noting for new arrivals that it was OBVIOUSLY voiced both ways pre-full-voicing

Spokes posted:

i finally finally sat down and played through this game. i really bounced off it a couple times (dumbass softlock bullshit on the initial release and an unexpected game over where i lost way too much progress) but decided to give it one more shot and i'm glad i did.

this game is an absolute gem and deserves every accolade it's received (and more). i'm going to be thinking about it for the rest of my life

welcome to revachol

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 26, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The silly new Half-Life mod collection game Jabroni Brawl contains a new Copotype:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i can't stand titus's new voice but the update also gave us FULL KIM ACTION so it's worth the tradeoff

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

VictualSquid posted:

Kim has some strange dialogue there in order to try and make it seem like your powernap makes sense. Especially as the RCM doesn't feel like a pro powernap culture . I feel like it would flow better if you were sitting down to rest your leg and dozing of unintentionally.

I was hurt and my buddy Kim offered to watch my back while I took a brief nap. Made total sense and of course I took his advice.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I napped because I was conscious of the unforeseeable -2 and +1 modifiers to conversation checks. I was going to have to do something in the final confrontation. I was not in physically good condition. I thought I might legitimately get a mechanical advantage by sleeping.

I like to think that mindset wasn't metagaming, but rather getting into a particularly mystical mindset that Harry might very well have about actions, consequences, and connections.

But really, Harry just seemed so tired. I don't know if there were actual consequences, but I took the advice that you shouldn't run seriously. Moving around was tortuous. Harry needed a rest. If there was to be a physical confrontation on that island, I would be every bit as hopeless awake as asleep, considering the state I was in. But at that point in the story everything felt tired and futile. I could tell there was nothing on this island as vital and aggressive as the mercenaries I had confronted in front of the Whirling In Rags. I was a tired man on a tired island. A nap seemed appropriate.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Animal-Mother posted:

The silly new Half-Life mod collection game Jabroni Brawl contains a new Copotype:

PHYSICAL INSTRUMENT [Legendary: Failure] - Oh god oh man oh GOD OH MAN. Harry I cannot HOLD THIS BACK.

ESPRIT DE CORPS - The Lieutenant can see you sweating. He knows you're going to poo poo your pants. He also doesn't seem too surprised.

1. [Reaction Speed - Difficult] Rip your pants off. You will not be making GBS threads them today.
2. [Drama - Easy] poo poo your pants, but don't drop The Expression.
3. "Kim I need to poop. Poop now Kim."
4. Really? I can't just hold it in? [poo poo your pants anyway.]

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
SUGGESTION - poo poo cop.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MizuZero posted:

I was thinking The Mountain Goats but that isn't right fit at all.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Animal-Mother posted:

Harry farts(wink-shaped growls out his rear end) if you accept the fascism thought and associated spirit quest, which means fart cop=fascist cop canonically

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dmboogie posted:

i can't stand titus's new voice but the update also gave us FULL KIM ACTION so it's worth the tradeoff

I understand why they changed it and why some people don't like it, but I miss the incongruity of a big, tough, burly, psychopathic mercenary with the voice of Felix Biederman.

RIGHT TO WORK RIGHT TO WORK

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i got to one of the endings, although i will go back and check out some more of the game. it's good, felt a bit like a stanislaw lem or strugatsky story

the one thing i didn't care for much were the forced politics bits. i tried to play harry as a detective, yapping about communism to strangers just seems out of character for someone who's supposed to make people talk about their secrets. it would've been nice as a background theme, the fight between the union and wild pines would have been obvious as just a theme to pick up on but at times it felt like the game insisted a bit too much that i'd explicitly pick a side

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pick one of these communist or fascist things or gently caress off

I think a part of the point of being forced into uncomfortable politic topic is a bit of the character being a nut, but also the game forcing to not always be comfortable or have the ideal choices - like the game pokes fun of you for picking centrist or boring choices - being a total weirdo with lots of wild political thoughts seems to be a bit of the reason why the character is effective or good at what he does

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You're free to like or dislike what you want of course, but calling it forced politics feels like chiding Pokemon for "forced battles" or Outer Wilds for "forced puzzles" - the politics are a central part of the game, they aren't tacked on as a joke or a bonus.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Everything's political

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sounds to me like you picked moralism.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

the one thing i didn't care for much were the forced politics bits. i tried to play harry as a detective, yapping about communism to strangers just seems out of character for someone who's supposed to make people talk about their secrets. it would've been nice as a background theme, the fight between the union and wild pines would have been obvious as just a theme to pick up on but at times it felt like the game insisted a bit too much that i'd explicitly pick a side

Getting blackout drunk, driving your service car over a canal and crashing it into the sea, losing your badge and gun and getting blackmailed over it and trying to repeatedly commit suicide is also extremely out of character for someone who's supposed to make people talk about their secrets. :v:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

Getting blackout drunk, driving your service car over a canal and crashing it into the sea, losing your badge and gun and getting blackmailed over it and trying to repeatedly commit suicide is also extremely out of character for someone who's supposed to make people talk about their secrets. :v:

Not if you are loaded on Drama and maybe Inland Empire

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's all part of *detecting*.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lt. Lizard posted:

Detect or Die, motherfucker. Why didn't you detect?

Shibawanko posted:

i tried to play harry as a detective, yapping about communism to strangers just seems out of character for someone who's supposed to make people talk about their secrets.

Every character obsessively discusses politics. Well, not the Fritte saleswoman. But everyone else.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Every character obsessively discusses politics. Well, not the Fritte saleswoman. But everyone else.

*frittte

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Mystic Mongol posted:

Especially cuno's dad.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

This is a great game. Your choices really matter.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Politics being unavoidable is a pretty big theme in the game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

i got to one of the endings, although i will go back and check out some more of the game. it's good, felt a bit like a stanislaw lem or strugatsky story

Not picking a side is also picking a side and I think that’s something the game stresses as well

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Sounds to me like you picked moralism.

and i don't regret it. INCREMENTAL CHANGE

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Egg Head is the most politically astute character.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

christmas boots posted:

Not picking a side is also picking a side and I think that’s something the game stresses as well

This game is the most succinct demonstration on how centrism turns into totalitarianism. If you aren't on anyone's side, no one will work with you, which means brute force is the only way forward in that situation.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

xarph posted:

This game is the most succinct demonstration on how centrism turns into totalitarianism. If you aren't on anyone's side, no one will work with you, which means brute force is the only way forward in that situation.

That depends how broadly you define centrism though. I'd say there are enough centrists that they're big enough to be their own side and are already in charge of much of the world irl and in Elysium. And pretty much every state/kingdom/other polity has been backed by at least the threat of force since prehistory, the use of which is only a matter of degree.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
"Picking no side" means siding with whoever is currently in charge, this has never really changed.
You can pretend otherwise within the normal world, surrounded by people who benefit from the status-quo. And just go along with that normality.

But in Martinese during the strike, at the edge of society, it becomes very obvious that there is nobody around who accepts that framing. Because there is nobody there that falls for the illusion of normalcy.
If you return in a few years, "picking no side" in new Martinese might imply siding with Edgar, earning you lots of nods.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Egg Head is the most politically astute character.

Please don't turn Egghead into a fascist.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I read Elon Musk tweets in Egghead's voice in my head.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Five Ds of Detecting:

Detect
Duck
Dip
Dive
Detect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
5 Ds and no Disco? Boo this man!