Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

E-flat posted:

Have people figured out good raid pokemon, or with the tera types is it too hard to generalize?

A Gholdengo can solo a majority of tera raids, even 6 star ones, with Nasty Plot + Metal Sound + Recover + Make It Rain. The idea is to setup then oneshot the raid mon bypassing the tera shield entirely, and Gholdengo's massive SpA, good defensive typing, and status move immunity makes the strat more consistent than with other mons. Replace the last move with a nuke of your choice like Hyper Beam, Focus Blast, Thunder, Hex with a status inflicting teammate, etc depending on the raid mon's resistances.

For party play, 4x Perrserker as said above is probably gonna be the popular choice. It's also following the same principle, the host Perrserker sets up with Taunt and Swords Dance while the ally Perrserkers use Screech, attack chants, and Helping Hand to boost the host's cat, then the host cat oneshots with Iron Head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zuzie posted:

Apparently the main strategy for high level raids are all Perrserker with Steely Spirit to keep powering themselves and each other up. Maybe throw in the occasional Tinkaton in the mix.

Yeah, HA Perrserker's ability, Steely Spirit, stacks with other instances of it, so four of it equals +200% damage to all Steel-type attacks in the raid.

You have everyone Screech turn 1, then Helping Hand the raid host who hits the raid boss with the mother of all Iron Heads, one-shotting them.

E: I'm also batch-breeding and hatching Galarian Meowths with a HA parent so if people want a murder catte of their very own, PM me.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 26, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

shame on an IGA posted:

literally slipped through on a lucky run of it hitting my 9 HP last survivor Mudbray with Confuse Ray over and over while I revived everything else

I had that happen to me on the second to last battle of Operation Starfall. Since I picked the fire croc, he had the duck and it's speed getting boosted by it's signature move was a problem, because my only tanks were said fire croc and Tinkaton...both of which it destroys. I only lived by Weedcat(friend traded) totally earning it's redemption in my eyes. It lived on 1 hp via toughing it out to survive the two turns it took to bring water duck down. Meowscarda, you are now good in my eyes.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Got a Rellor to evolve so maybe my Bramblin is just glitched

E: yep caught another Bramblin and evolved it within 5 minutes

what the gently caress game

Regular Wario fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 26, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Flopsy posted:

I know the target audience is kids, I keep telling myself this--but goddamn can you little shits NOT bring your goddamn dragon into the raid for the fifteenth goddamn time!? It's maddening. I know they want to show off their special new pokemon I get it but Jesus Christ.

i have said it before and i will say it again: bring back the type effectiveness quiz from SM, ask a question when you sign into online, and pair up people who got it right with each other, and people who got it wrong with each other.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Muscle Tracer posted:

i have said it before and i will say it again: bring back the type effectiveness quiz from SM, ask a question when you sign into online, and pair up people who got it right with each other, and people who got it wrong with each other.

Part of it is that, IME, you do far better gearing for defense against the opposing raid mon's move pool then you do specifically for targeting the raid's tera type. I've seen a bunch of grass raids where Ceruledges get massacred by something with Earthquake. :v:

Exceptions, of course, for coordinated burst strategies like 4 Perrserkers or Iron Hands.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, either a lot more people picked the kitty or the people who picked the cat are more generous about sharing. I think I've seen 1 croc, and about a dozen cats in my wonder trade quest for a duck.

E: also after climbing drat near every tower and getting to finally evolve my ghost treasure I found it consumes all 999 coins. So a second golden man requires doing all that poo poo again. Except the battles on top of towers don't seem to respawn so....

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 26, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I got lucky and got the fire one, but none of the cats.

Also got the water Tauros which is cool, only done about 10 or so surprise trades. I got nothing else to do so I think I'll sit here surprise trading for a couple hours. Or until I get water starter.

I think I was being cool just sending out dragonites, they're not hard to get in this game but I can imagine an 8 year old on the first gym being pumped to get one even if he can't use it lol

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, either a lot more people picked the kitty or the people who picked the cat are more generous about sharing. I think I've seen 1 croc, and about a dozen cats in my wonder trade quest for a duck.

E: also after climbing drat near every tower and getting to finally evolve my ghost treasure I found it consumes all 999 coins. So a second golden man requires doing all that poo poo again. Except the battles on top of towers don't seem to respawn so....

They do respawn, though at a 5% chance each day.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DC Murderverse posted:

Best place to hatch eggs/get steps for the step-evolution Pokémon is the top of the Levincia Lighthouse, you can just hold the sticks down and go in an endless circle. I suspect you could even get a rubber band to make the process even easier but I’m not that much of a degenerate so I haven’t tried yet

I'll sell someone my left joycon with stick drift if they want a really easy way to do it

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

DC Murderverse posted:

Best place to hatch eggs/get steps for the step-evolution Pokémon is the top of the Levincia Lighthouse, you can just hold the sticks down and go in an endless circle. I suspect you could even get a rubber band to make the process even easier but I’m not that much of a degenerate so I haven’t tried yet

Reminds me of when I did this and just sat there holding a direction in SuMo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
wondering if gamefreak realized just how busted Torch Song would be when they designed skeledirge. A STAB, 80 power, 100 accuracy fire move that raises special attack every turn and stacks with throat spray? Did they want this thing to become an unstoppable monster??

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaziken386 posted:

wondering if gamefreak realized just how busted Torch Song would be when they designed skeledirge. A STAB, 80 power, 100 accuracy fire move that raises special attack every turn and stacks with throat spray? Did they want this thing to become an unstoppable monster??

All 3 of the starter signature moves are stupid good.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bit annoyed that I went up the eastern side of the island first until the electric gym and missed out on some real fun mons to the west because of it.

On the other than I have all this candy to feed to them to get them up to speed!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BrainDance posted:

Reminds me of when I did this and just sat there holding a direction in SuMo

The irony being that there's an enclosed paddock juuust large enough for tauros to spin around in just to the bottom-right they intended for that exact purpose, and in view of the day-care lady, who'd cross her arms when an egg appeared

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

A Gholdengo can solo a majority of tera raids, even 6 star ones, with Nasty Plot + Metal Sound + Recover + Make It Rain. The idea is to setup then oneshot the raid mon bypassing the tera shield entirely, and Gholdengo's massive SpA, good defensive typing, and status move immunity makes the strat more consistent than with other mons. Replace the last move with a nuke of your choice like Hyper Beam, Focus Blast, Thunder, Hex with a status inflicting teammate, etc depending on the raid mon's resistances.

For party play, 4x Perrserker as said above is probably gonna be the popular choice. It's also following the same principle, the host Perrserker sets up with Taunt and Swords Dance while the ally Perrserkers use Screech, attack chants, and Helping Hand to boost the host's cat, then the host cat oneshots with Iron Head.

I raised a Gholdengo to try that strat out earlier and... it's okay, I guess. If you can get off 3x nasty plot and 3x metal sound without dying or having your buffs/debuffs negated then you will in fact one shot almost anything. Usually you can recover/cheer HP instead of dying but the chance of the opponent screwing up your buffs/debuffs seems kind of high to me, and it's really frustrating. (Maybe someone will come in with some math about a lower number of moves you can apply, idk.)

4x Purrserker is the party play strat, yeah. Haven't tried it since I don't have a party to play with but it seems solid.

That said, there are a few other heavy hitters. I currently have an Iron Hands with belly drum and close combat, thunder punch, and earthquake, holding a booster energy. It covers a lot of types and is only really weak to ground, psychic, and fairy and is a lot easier to pull off. If the rest of your team isn't braindead and you're not against something that's super effective against you then it works quite well.

To really cover more possibilities I think I'll raise an Iron Moth next.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All 3 of the starter signature moves are stupid good.

It’s kinda crazy that we went from “surf but mostly worse” and “mostly worse than flamethrower” to “solid damage and also buffs speed/sp attk” and “literally the best physical grass move in the game”. But I guess Pyro Ball is just physical Fire Blast, huh…

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have to say I'm really into the fact that the gym leaders have ways to punish sweepers sometimes. Larry caught me off-guard especially. I saw the last Pokemon coming and knew I was about to have a really bad time.

Also got my first Ruin legendary, Ting-Lu. Seems like he might make a fun addition to my team for the post-game. I'd love to run the slug, but I went with the cat, so dunno if I like the vibes of two Dark/Grass types.

Full points to the Ultra Jam Sandwich for catching these jerks. I'm getting them in Luxury Balls because I'm a crazy person and Lv2 Ground Capture boost did some work.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
the whole "go where ever and do whatever you want in whatever order you want" thing kinda works except you have no clue what level the gyms and challenges are until you get there. it is kinda a east-west/south-north kinda thing until the lvl 45 gym leader is in the bottom left and you would have completely missed it like i did until i beat every other challenge except for them and was like "wait wtf do i have left?"

e; this game fuckin rules tho, that and the lovely graphics are my only complaint so far. best battling system out of all of them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Holy poo poo... you get your navigation abilities from Herba Mystica :psyduck:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has Torkoal always been this tanky or does Mela's have boosted stats?

goferchan posted:

:eyepop:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so, given the fact that they specifically put a greyed out segment of kalos on the map, and the scarlet book has some lore about a hosed up monster that warps reality a little bit as well as a picture of an "imagined pokemon" that's clearly suicune, entei, and raikou frankensteined together, it seems likely that DLC is planned for this much like SwSh.

so, my question is: for people who had both sword AND shield - was the dlc a single purchase, or did you have to buy it for both games?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Toedscruel hopping for movement is a drat disgrace, it should have a goofy run like Toedscool

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Nodosaur posted:

Bumping this for the new page. I really need an Eevee with that Tera Type.

If you're still looking for this I got a fire type eevee from a 5 star raid I'll give you if you want

I'm catbottom on the discord, but I'm in a weird time zone (China) so I might not be around at a sane time for you.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
To make up for my shiny Noibat kill the game was generous and spawned a shiny Brute Bonnet in front of me right before I quit. The hardest part of catching it was resisting using the master ball because having color-matching poke balls is my weakness and what lead me to one-shot noibat in the first place. Still pretty hyped to try using it online, its design has grown on me.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has Torkoal always been this tanky or does Mela's have boosted stats?

:eyepop:

Torkoal has always had 70/140/70 defenses so yeah it's a great physical tank. I can't answer the second question though :v:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

hello, idiot here, accidentally overwrote my save data for this game while transferring to a new switch and now i'm very sad

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

E-flat posted:

Have people figured out good raid pokemon, or with the tera types is it too hard to generalize?

Gholdengo can solo the majority of 6star raids.

Edit:however you use either steel beam or hex for oneshots they're stronger than make it rain.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 26, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You had to buy the DLC separately for each game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goferchan posted:

gently caress. :cripes:

There's a scenario writer somewhere at the Pokemon company smiling smugly and he knows exactly why.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Maybe a dumb question, but I'm assuming you don't need the other games box legendary for dex completion? Is it even possible to trade them?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

pray for my aunt posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm assuming you don't need the other games box legendary for dex completion? Is it even possible to trade them?

You can't trade your mount, but you can catch a second version in Area Zero.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

FoolyCharged posted:

I was masuda-ing a shiny cat the other day and dumped a bunch into the wonder trade ecosystem. Since I never got any sprigatito myself but did get the other starters, I want to believe I helped flood the world with cats.

goferchan posted:

:aaaaa:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Can you savescum the mass outbreaks? Save before engaging, eat a shiny sandwich, mow down the mons, reset if you don't get a shiny and repeat?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

OPAONI posted:

a second version in Area Zero.
Very cool, thanks. I think that's basically the last thing i need to have a full set of Scarlet exclusives & trade evos to trade for Violet equivalents - I'm assuming the zone legendaries from lifting the stakes are the same in each game, as i didn't see them on any exclusive lists.

I'll post it up in the discord when I'm done, but I'm not necessarily going to be available at decent US hours.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

I didn’t realize it stacked with throat spray; just leveled mine to the last evo so I’ll have to get throat spray so that my croc gets better. Clodsire still rules and the tinka line and my Gengar have made this game very fun. The smoliv line has been great too and I just found a scythed for false swipe. Still really enjoying this game at a little more than halfway done with all the objectives and the glitches haven’t been bad at all, mostly just getting framerste drops.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I have turned back around on raids after co-oping some 5 and 6 stars with my boyfriend. When you're actually coordinated and have good pokemon for the raid its actually pretty fun.

I found the best way to actually complete more 6 stars is to try to keep idiots on the internet alive. For starters, reflect/light screen aren’t cleared by the stat reset thing the enemy does so absolutely do that and keep it up. Use your cheers to heal people. If you aren’t doing that you should be trying to stack -6 debuffs on the enemy for a one shot.

While the enemy has a shield they are immune to status moves but they aren’t immune to secondary effects on moves. Mystical fire + light screen vs special attacker mons makes things way easier.

It’s mostly the nasty physical threats that cause the largest amount of failures, and I’ve got a defensive Armorouge with light clay that has greatly increased my odds of success running:

Lava Plume
Psyshock
Reflect
Clear Smog

Just stay away from 6 star annihilape though. Unless it’s running a really bad Tera type AND you have a good team you will fail every time, regardless of what you bring to keep people alive. You’d need a crew of Hisuian Zoroark or something like that to make it more doable. Annihilape is a beast.

The rewards are very good from 6 stars though and you will end up with the ability patches, xp candy and enormous amounts of cash after a little bit to build competitive mons. There’s enough challenge to keep it interesting once you realize the actual challenge is don’t let your idiot teammates die.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 26, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

Goddamn it lol

junan_paalla posted:

Can you savescum the mass outbreaks? Save before engaging, eat a shiny sandwich, mow down the mons, reset if you don't get a shiny and repeat?

Here's the trick: mow them down until you get a notification that there aren't much left (around 75 KOs, apparently that boosts the odds? I heard it on a TikTok, ymmv), then stop fighting them entirely. Set up a picnic and cancel out of it to refresh the Pokemon spawns, look for shinies (don't fight any, just look), and if you don't see any, set up a picnic again and repeat. No need to savescum if you're not KOing them, but I usually save once I start the loop so I can quit and come back later if need be, just don't forget that outbreaks cycle out at midnight.

I got 4 shiny Marill without any chance boosters in about an hour and a half that way.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 26, 2022

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

I was wondering why I was seeing the odd Perrserker. I should breed one up to help out dudes running with them. Even 2X of them seems like it should work decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The rewards are very good from 6 stars though and you will end up with the ability patches, xp candy and enormous amounts of cash after a little bit to build competitive mons. There’s enough challenge to keep it interesting once you realize the actual challenge is don’t let your idiot teammates die.

It's a sample size of 1, but the one Pokémon I've caught from a 6-Star raid also had Perfect IVs in every stat, so that's also a nice perk if so (even though Hyper Training is so easy to do now).