Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No, mine can sit in sleep for a few days and still be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
RE: Minecraft there've been some posts on this:
https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Minecraft:_Android

Never tried myself though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you own one version of Minecraft you should have access to the others. I have the game pass one but needed Java to get it working on my quest and it took some hoop jumping, but it did recognize my account and open everything up eventually

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Don't let your kids play bad games like unmodded Minecraft, introduce them to Create.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah but you are a massive dumbass so they probably could run

Lol pokemon doesn't run and it was designed for the system

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Don't let your kids play bad games like unmodded Minecraft, introduce them to Create.

What is it? Besides a terrible unsearchable name

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'd introduce them to blender instead probably

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

What is it? Besides a terrible unsearchable name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8W-f9YhYA

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

GOG has the advantage of giving completely DRM-free copies of games, there's an argument to be made for buying things there if you hate DRM. But EGS is yeah only good for the free games they give you.

Yes I forgot about them. GOG is good. In a world without game launchers I would be buying from them. I miss the days when you just installed on D:\Games and then had your desktop full of icons that just launched the game without any DRM or attached launcher/storefront. If you didn’t wanna pop in the CD you downloaded a .exe crack. And with GOG you can live that life if you want to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Windows on this thing can straight gently caress off at this point. If you aren’t booting into it with any regularity you have to deal with updates and poo poo randomly breaking.

Trying to use any other stores besides steam results in a multitude of controller issues.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Medullah posted:

Is it normal for the Decks battery to drain pretty fast even when it's turned off? Every time I decide to pick it up I have to charge it first.

Mine drains in sleep but I'd prob have to leave it for a couple weeks for the battery to die. You sure it's actually going into sleep mode?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 25, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Neat, thanks!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What settings are people using for Spider-Man (first game not Miles if that matters)? I’m getting mostly 40 fps but I was getting freezes going into a load icon showing up for about 10 seconds sometimes while swinging and haven’t had that issue on desktop.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
wanna put my tender
deck in a blender
watch it spin around to a beautiful The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivionnn

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grand Fromage posted:

Mine drains in sleep but I'd prob have to leave it for a couple weeks for the battery to die. You sure it's actually going into sleep mode?

I'm completely shutting it down, not even sleep. Of course now that I posted that it was full battery after sitting for a week. Maybe it fixed itself.

Bought the Castlevania Advance collection and man it's so great playing Aria of Sorrow on a proper portable again. I'd say it's too bad I can't transfer my saves from my emulator copy but oh well I'll play this game a thousand times and never get sick of it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Reported to child services

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

PSA since I missed it on release: Valve added UI for modeshifts back into the new Steam Input UI in late September.

Access to modeshifts was removed when the new UI went in for the Deck, but the functionality was still there.

For example, you can use the touchpads as a mouse, but have clicks use it as a dpad.

Or the cool example from RambleTan's STALKER Anomaly config that made me realize modeshifts were back: when left trigger is pressed to scope or zoom in your weapon, use the left joystick up/down/left/right to switch ammo types, select the underbarrel grenade launcher, switch scopes, etc.

I now prefer the new UI over the old, though I wish the new one worked better in Desktop mode - but on the whole it's more intuitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uRE-A782M

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Now on the part of Xenoblade 3 where you have to use OpenGL instead of Vulkan to make the region load at all (my earlier problem was unrelated) and it runs like rear end

It literally just crashed during a story-heavy cutscene after a boss and now I have to fight the boss again

If this happens a second time I might have to just take a vacation from this game until Switch emulation gets a little more mature

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I recommend simply playing a better game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw Jedi Fallen Order was on a deep sale but then saw it was incompatible with steam deck. But I then found out how I could get an alternative proton and it would work, and it does! That's really satisfying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I saw Jedi Fallen Order was on a deep sale but then saw it was incompatible with steam deck. But I then found out how I could get an alternative proton and it would work, and it does! That's really satisfying.

Yeah, if anything says untested or unsupported, I check over on protondb to see what other deck owners are doing. More often than not, they've found some fairly simple way of getting it to work just fine. (Edit: and most importantly, I didn't have to compromise on much of anything; the flashlight and all lighting in game still looks fantastic and as intended)

I was playing Black Mesa, and the lighting was all hosed up. Turns out, if I change a couple of settings in-game, and revert to a recent version of Proton, it works perfectly fine.

I haven't had to uninstall/reinstall anything yet that needed a specific version of proton; does anyone know if that stuff is saved? Like playing it again once redownloaded... Will that use the latest version of proton, or the one you had previously chosen?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got emudeck working now too, but I added a bunch of games to my favorites list and now can not figure out any way to find my favorites list lol, they disappeared from the normal list when I added them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was playing Black Mesa, and the lighting was all hosed up. Turns out, if I change a couple of settings in-game, and revert to a recent version of Proton, it works perfectly fine.

Oh sick, can you post your settings please? I stopped playing it cos the lighting was so bad

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

:same: now I just turn on Proton and go - I don’t even bother looking anything up. So far it’s worked for anything I throw at it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just bought every lucasarts p+c adventure game available on this thing :getin:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I saw Jedi Fallen Order was on a deep sale but then saw it was incompatible with steam deck.

Which is dumb because it was used in one of the trailers/commercials for the Deck. It's a great ~20 hour cinematic experience.

I just got back from my first bout of holiday travel with the Deck, and it was the star of the trip. Hitman 3 runs shockingly well at medium-like settings, and still looks better than just about anything.

EDIT: Also it drives me crazy for some reason that Euro Truck Simulator 2 is Verified, but American Truck Simulator gets Playable. Let me petition on behalf of my beautiful favorite game children!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 26, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a bunch of free games from Amazon prime, is there an easy way to get them on my deck? Looks like most have an amazon launcher and others are direct download

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Which is dumb because it was used in one of the trailers/commercials for the Deck. It's a great ~20 hour cinematic experience.

Yeah I was just going to say that. That’s weird.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh sick, can you post your settings please? I stopped playing it cos the lighting was so bad

I don't recall specifically, and I'm not near my deck, but check this out here, I might've used the first suggestion:

https://www.protondb.com/app/362890

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Played some BLOPS 3 Zombies last night. Ran ok but the frantic and punishing nature of the game mode doesn't lend itself great to the deck. Maybe gyro would help.

But hey nice thing about the deck is I own it on PC too, so I'll just stick to playing it there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone tried Nex Machina? Currently Unsupported

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I got emudeck working now too, but I added a bunch of games to my favorites list and now can not figure out any way to find my favorites list lol, they disappeared from the normal list when I added them
Favorites should be at the top of the games list for each console, beneath any folders but before any "loose" games.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone been wanting Unexplored 2? Works pretty well on the SD and I have a spare key.

Gone

Sterf fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 26, 2022

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I was just going to say that. That’s weird.

EA changed to a new launcher that broke it. You can get it to run with Proton Experimental but it's touchy and sometimes will decide it's not going to boot at all anymore unless you nuke the Proton prefix (also it doesn't support cloud saves, so you need to manually back up your save file when you do that).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that’s one of the lesser things to be mindful of, some games have gone from Verified to Unsupported over time, usually because something in a patch broke compatibility and proton hasn’t caught up yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone was wondering Titan Quest works just fine on deck. Some broken lighting though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone was wondering Titan Quest works just fine on deck. Some broken lighting though.

Oh - oh dear. Well I didn't need to sleep anyway

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Opopanax posted:

I have a bunch of free games from Amazon prime, is there an easy way to get them on my deck? Looks like most have an amazon launcher and others are direct download

I downloaded Lutris in desktop mode and added my Amazon account. There might be other ways but this worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What kind of speed SD card would you want if you wanted to run games off it? Trying to get one this weekend while everything's on sale. Is 120 mb/s acceptable? I have no idea what speed is in my switch and I think it's been working fine but I'm overthinking this time