Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I put custom cards from reddit in my cube. Why not? Most people can't even tell the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think if I was going to play any format that requires a group of people as opposed to like, modern events I'd really rather find a group to cube with

That sounds like pretty much the best way to play magic. If I had a group I'd honestly look into getting a custom printed mtgo vintage cube because I could honestly play that forever and never get bored. Plus you can tweak it from there as new things come out.

Or that jumpstart cube someone posted about a bunch of pages back sounds amazing as well

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think if I was going to play any format that requires a group of people as opposed to like, modern events I'd really rather find a group to cube with

That sounds like pretty much the best way to play magic. If I had a group I'd honestly look into getting a custom printed mtgo vintage cube because I could honestly play that forever and never get bored. Plus you can tweak it from there as new things come out.

Or that jumpstart cube someone posted about a bunch of pages back sounds amazing as well

Yeah cube draft is great.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Be careful theory crafting your cube can take up literally all of your free time.

edit: that goes double when you use custom cards. "hmmm lets make Minotaur tribal a thing"

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 26, 2022

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

fadam posted:

Bring a notepad and pencil to track life totals and some random dice for counters. Other than that they’ll tell you everything you need to know at the draft itself- have fun! Paper magic rocks.

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

As mentioned, bring a notepad and writing utensil for life tracking(much better and a lot easier to avoid anything getting messed up than with dice), and bring dice for counters, etc.

If you've got them, bring some sleeves and basic lands of your own. Sleeves you could pick up at your LGS I'm sure(or just run your stuff unsleeved), but save yourself some effort, and I've always just found it easier to bring my own basics rather than deal with having to get them from the store(and remember to return them afterward).

Aside from those 2, it's draft. You say you're already good there, so anything else would have to be answered by the LGS/person running the event. Glhf!
Thanks for the advice. I did bring a notebook and I used it to track life and take some notes, which is how I can write up this report!

The playing space was not at the game store itself. They had a separate play building that was spacious and had a nicely put together cafe, which is cool. There was a modern night going on but only two players showed up. Seven showed up for draft, which meant another player got a bye. There were also a fair number of people in the building playing other games but magic had its own big room so there was plenty of space when I needed to build my deck.

Draft
I open a B/G rare that taps for mana of any color equal to the number of creatures in my graveyard. Seems okay so I take it. I see a lot of green flowing my way and I settle on that early, eventually moving from B/G to G/W after I see a late Yotian Dissident. I get several of the 3/2 that makes powerstone tokens and that Craw Wurm that can pump itself or other attackers. I get passed a Gwenna, Eyes of Gaea at one point, which feels good because I got the right lane for green.

The deck I build doesn't have a ton of synergy but it does have a good curve, starting with Argothian Sprite and Powerstone Engineer and going through Argothian Opportunist towards a top end of six drops and 7/4 drop prototype creatures. The deck does have a little synergy in that it has Alloy Animatist and Phalanx Vanguard to go with all the incidental powerstones.

Match 1
Game 1

My opponent is on U/B and has some powerful cards. One of my creatures fights their Urza, Powerstone Prodigy early on because I'm scared of them triggering draw 2 abilities and generally filtering. They play Fallaji Archaeologist and mill into Gix's Command! They 3-1 me with the command, getting back Urza and killing one of my creatures. I go defensive and start pumping up Argothian Sprite as a blocker. I am able to play creatures and defend them, at one point Gaea's Gift saves a key creature of mine from The Mightstone and Weakstone. Eventually they play The Temporal Anchor and they've been using the Urza the entire time. My opponent scoops with 3 cards left in their library, which were all basic lands.

About halfway through this game they played another Fallaji Archaeologist and tried to use it to get back the same Gix's Command. I pointed out that the card could only get back things it had milled. I think this was 100% an honest mistake rather than an attempt at sketchiness.

Game 2
We try to play a rapid game but go to turns and my opponent can't kill me in the time allowed.

Match 2

I go immediately into match 2. I'm feeling happy at this point because I definitely could have gone 0-3 and been unsurprised.

Game 1

My second opponent is also on U/B. They play a pair of Millstones (!) and it's clear that their plan is to turtle up and mill me out. I curve out effectively and kill them.

Game 2

The second game is much tougher. They have Thopter Mechanic, which I kill before it can start growing. I am still curving out pretty well. I see that 4/5 deathtouch/lifelink when you draw two cards card and I hit it with Static Net because I knew they had Urza's Command. They have a few creatures and play a Painful Quandary. This really is painful and I lost ten life to it but stay in the game with a full sized Boulderbranch Golem and the lifegain from Mazemind Tome. Mazemind Tome really keeps me in the game here by both giving me life and giving me cards to discard. Eventually I overrun them.

Match 3

Going up against the only other 2-0.

Game 1

My opponent plays pretty fast and doesn't wait for me to say if actions resolve. At one point I have to call them back because I have a one mana play on my turn and they had jumped straight to their turn after attacks. It doesn't really matter though as they rapidly overwhelm me with flying soldiers. One card that surprises me is Meticulous Excavation, which they can use with Ichor Wellspring to loop card draw. I get overwhelmed with flyers before I can do much.

Game 2

I bring in my Haywire Mite because they have shown a bunch of enchantments. I play Gwenna, Eyes of Gaea and it gets hit with Prison Sentence. I kill the prison sentence with the Mite and unlocking Gwenna lets me play some big creatures and I win. My opponent comments on how he totally flooded out and only saw two creatures.

Game 3

This one goes pretty fast, he plays flyers that I don't have the ability to interact with and I lose. Along the way some interesting things happen. He plays Prison Sentence on my Argothian Sprite early and then bounces the Sentence with Meticulous Excavation to put it on my Ambush Paratrooper, setting up lethal. He also uses the Mightstone and Weakstone (second of these I saw, from two different players) in -5/-5 mode to clear another blocker and demonstrates that it could also be looped with Excavation.

It's only after the game that I realize I've been playing around Excavation the whole time as if it could bounce creatures on my turn and it absolutely cannot do that. I don't think it would have made a difference in the end but a good lesson for me in reading the card.

Thoughts
  • I had fun! I think I will do it again. They said they do them weekly but next week is jumpstart so I may try it again in two weeks.
  • The last guy played fast and would do things like cast a creature, cast an equipment and equip it without talking to me. I responded by trying to up my pace to match his. I think this was a mistake - I should have tried to force him to slow to match me.
  • I gave my cards + prizes away to the youngest player at the end.
  • Everyone was very helpful which was great. I forgot to bring dice and several people loaned them to me. I'll definitely bring some next time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you liked the draft experience jumpstart 2 is probably gonna be fun, casual limited format stuff in the same way. If you’re trying to establish this as a new social space for you it’s worth going even if you don’t like it quite as much.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Be careful theory crafting your cube can take up literally all of your free time.

edit: that goes double when you use custom cards. "hmmm lets make Minotaur tribal a thing"

Good news, I have no friends to play cube with

:negative:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Grifter posted:

The last guy played fast and would do things like cast a creature, cast an equipment and equip it without talking to me. I responded by trying to up my pace to match his. I think this was a mistake - I should have tried to force him to slow to match me.

Yeah, always play at your own pace. When people shortcut like that you should also feel free to rewind and put stuff back on the stack if you want to interact.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh boy!

my favorite part, besides them ignoring the controversy and just plowing full steam ahead, is that of the four cards they show, shivan dragon is one of them. iconic, sure, but I have about 30 different versions of the fucker at this point, feels like it's the most-reprinted card outside of basic lands I think.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I love how they don't even mention the price anywhere in the email

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I wonder if the fake cards were originally going to be $9.99 for 4 packs, but there was a typo in some internal email and marketing just said "lol lmao let's see how many we sell at a grand" and let it ride

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Captain Invictus posted:

oh boy!

my favorite part, besides them ignoring the controversy and just plowing full steam ahead, is that of the four cards they show, shivan dragon is one of them. iconic, sure, but I have about 30 different versions of the fucker at this point, feels like it's the most-reprinted card outside of basic lands I think.

I can't wait for these to go on sale so I can continue not buying them because $1000 USD is too loving expensive for four packs of random Alpha/Beta/Unlimited cards that aren't even legal for play in any officially sanctioned formats or events!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Magic 30 is just the first attempt at printing reserved list cards for money. It will continue. The only question left open is if they will just make a product that is tournament legal. With the hard year ahead, I feel like the answer is likely.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I admit I feel a little disappointed that I didn't get another two secret lair advent calendars on top of the two that I ordered because I am now the first person I know of who didn't get extras. One of the signing services that I use, he does a yearly charity auction, and I was hoping to put the extras into that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I brought my Drake posted:

I admit I feel a little disappointed that I didn't get another two secret lair advent calendars on top of the two that I ordered because I am now the first person I know of who didn't get extras. One of the signing services that I use, he does a yearly charity auction, and I was hoping to put the extras into that.

In retrospect, I wish I had ordered a second one so I could give it to my brother as a Christmas gift.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sickening posted:

Magic 30 is just the first attempt at printing reserved list cards for money. It will continue. The only question left open is if they will just make a product that is tournament legal. With the hard year ahead, I feel like the answer is likely.

if they want a grand for the fakes, I can only imagine what they would want for a tournament-legal version

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So we got some big spenders in this thread. Anyone gonna admit to furthering the debasement of our game and picking up any anniversary edition?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hauki posted:

if they want a grand for the fakes, I can only imagine what they would want for a tournament-legal version

Do type-1 tournaments even exist any more? Feels like it would be an unfun degenerate format where everyone wins on turn two.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We have vintage fnm here once a month. Degenerate turn one kills are actually a big stereotype. Generally every deck has so much interaction you can't just do your thing unopposed.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So we got some big spenders in this thread. Anyone gonna admit to furthering the debasement of our game and picking up any anniversary edition?

I am my LGS's resident whale and as soon as WotC announced the travesty of Magic 30, a bunch of people at the store asked me and I told them no. I am not spending a grand on proxies unless I am getting a truckload of proxies. I am only getting 388 and that is much less than a grand. :v:

The store plans to open the free box that it's getting from wizards and dole them out to their regulars and supporters, but there's only one specific card I'm looking for and that's for a friend. I have no interest in owning any of the product myself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Best thing about 30th anniversary edition is Arabian Nights 30th anniversary is coming up and Antiquities, Legends, The Dark (barf). They can reuse the branding for every set ever released!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hauki posted:

Roughly the same. They only had a different back because they were testing the waters. The way these cards are printed now are enough ammo for those who would sue to already loving sue. When they don't, the true reprints are coming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

W.T. Fits posted:

In retrospect, I wish I had ordered a second one so I could give it to my brother as a Christmas gift.
if you would like one for him still, I still have a few, you're welcome to one for 150 shipped.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

absolutely never in a million years would I buy the 30th anniversary booster poo poo, maybe if it was 99% discounted like it should be to begin with, but charging more than like, 5-10 bucks for those things as a novelty is downright delusional

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Seems highly likely that wotc has cost themselves a lot of money by printing the 30th anniversary stuff. I've talked to many people who are now on board with proxies because of it, and no one who is interested in purchasing the product.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Seems highly likely that wotc has cost themselves a lot of money by printing the 30th anniversary stuff. I've talked to many people who are now on board with proxies because of it, and no one who is interested in purchasing the product.

if it continues to normalise proxy leg events that's perfect

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The only people I can see buying it would do so to flip or possibly sit on and sell on. I doubt much of it will be getting opened.

I like the idea of the product and want some for my cube. If it cost the same as master sets Hasbro could have bought the rest of the stock exchange. The margin on reprint sets is obscene and due to arrogance and hubris Wizards deserve everything they get from this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh I'd buy them at regular, and maybe even a four pack at master/horizon prices.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I would maybe have picked up some 30th proxy packs if they were priced sanely at like $10 for a few, for cubes and whatnot. I don't know a single person at my LGS who has the desire and disposable income to buy them at $1k haha.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

fadam posted:

Yeah, always play at your own pace. When people shortcut like that you should also feel free to rewind and put stuff back on the stack if you want to interact.
I had to ask him to rewind at one point. I had hit his Combat Thresher with my Static Net. Later, I attacked with an Argothian Opportunist. He disenchanted the Net after I declared my attackers, drew a card, blocked my creature and said "Opportunist is dead". I cast a Gaea's Gift (great card) to prevent the death, but it would have been nice if he had given me an opportunity to react before he drew his card because once he did if we ended up interacting with one another there was no way to know which cards he drew when.

Next time I'll ask for slower play and more communication.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 26, 2022

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

If they were like 7 bucks a pack I would definitely do a draft or two of the 30th packs. Folks I know definitely would have bought boxes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If they were $25/pack people would’ve tried to beta draft for $100 if there was a good sized LGS around as a novelty thing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The price makes more sense in that they were trying to limit risk of driving down the price of real reserved list cards (fear mostly). Same concept as the absurd cost of modern horizons and other reprint sets, which do little to drive down the prices of costs as a whole, or way less so if the packs were more modern masters 1 level pricing. The goal is reprint cards people want at almost the cost of what the current market rate is. Wizards get customers who doesn't understand basic math but dig cool new art, while also raking in the extra $ and as a token keeping the price almost as high for the people who have the cards already.

This is fundamental to their whole 'reprint equity" strategy. Its also why reprint sets should be crammed to the brim with cards people want, but instead have 40%+ of reprints of junk nobody wanted. Balancing out the final price of cards when the dust settles.

A reprint set with the most expensive cards in magic history SHOULD have an incredible price tag on it under their current strategies. Just the whole part of "not tournament legal, wink wink" is what fucks it all up. That is the only real outlier here from what WOTC has done in recently history.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No one would dare admit it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Grifter posted:

I had to ask him to rewind at one point. I had hit his Combat Thresher with my Static Net. Later, I attacked with an Argothian Opportunist. He disenchanted the Net after I declared my attackers, drew a card, blocked my creature and said "Opportunist is dead". I cast a Gaea's Gift (great card) to prevent the death, but it would have been nice if he had given me an opportunity to react before he drew his card because once he did if we ended up interacting with one another there was no way to know which cards he drew when.

Next time I'll ask for slower play and more communication.

100% I would roll that poo poo back before casting my trick. I hate when people do that.

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

Sickening posted:

A reprint set with the most expensive cards in magic history SHOULD have an incredible price tag on it under their current strategies. Just the whole part of "not tournament legal, wink wink" is what fucks it all up. That is the only real outlier here from what WOTC has done in recently history.

I truly don't think most players would buy this product even if the cards WERE tournament legal, 1K is just a lot of money for most people especially on a gamble

Not that the company really cares WHO buys their products, as seen by letting people buy double digit numbers of highly desirable, limited products

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hauki posted:

About 10-12 years ago on MTGO they released some "super mega collectors edition" which included the Power Nine. Were they rare? Mythic Rare? Nope. There was a special rarity level beyond Mythic, about ten times rarer. Might as well have called it "Trust fund rarity".

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

We have vintage fnm here once a month. Degenerate turn one kills are actually a big stereotype. Generally every deck has so much interaction you can't just do your thing unopposed.

Vintage is actually an insanely fun format. It's very silly sometimes, but lots of fun to play

Proxies events I'd hope are the norm though because lol at the idea of playing with an entire cost of a car's worth of cardboard

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Vintage is only a "turn one format" in the sense that its first turn is really important. And by that I mean its first 2 or 3 turns are important, where you're trying to resolve your gameplan (which consists of fast mana and card draw, or Stax pieces, or combo pieces) through your opponent's disruption (which consists of countermagic, Stax pieces, or other hate cards like Collector Ouphe or Lavinia). The most common Vintage scenario is when both players are strained on or out of resources on turns 4 and beyond, because they were so busy trading resources with one another to get an edge in the game. Winning the game typically comes down to if you managed your resources better than your opponent, except for when they topdeck their Ancestral on turn 5 and suddenly they have a million cards again and whoever played better in the opening exchanges barely mattered. Hope you kept hold of that Mental Misstep!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should have jsut printed more Chronicles pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Vintage is actually an insanely fun format. It's very silly sometimes, but lots of fun to play

Proxies events I'd hope are the norm though because lol at the idea of playing with an entire cost of a car's worth of cardboard

Lol no proxies. That would upset the true grognards like Randy Buehler. We have enough techlords here and enough people affiliated with the company to pull off the real deal. It’s kind of a wonder the shop has never been held up actually.