Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Wikipedia already updated the AS-15 KENT page with an article from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/26/russia-firing-ageing-cruise-missiles-because-stocks-are-depleted-mod-suggests

The Guardian posted:

An intelligence update from the British MoD on Saturday said the desperate improvisation by the Russian president’s struggling forces are “unlikely to achieve reliable effects”.

The evidence cited is pictures of apparently shot down AS-15 Kent air-launched cruise missiles, which were said to have been designed in the 1980s as a nuclear delivery system.

The MoD said the nuclear warheads had probably been substituted for ballast, with the Kremlin’s hope probably that the missiles will distract Ukrainian air defences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

killer_robot posted:

Wiki says these things can be armed with conventional warheads and they fired a few off during the Syrian war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-55

MoD claims that there was no warhead on the missile. From the Wiki page it sounds like only some of the variants can be armed with conventional warheads.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

If an empty missile was shot down, isn't that by definition achieving the effects they want? The terror of having missiles fly over your cities + the wasted resources of shooting down empty missiles / possibly missing armed missiles in the process

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Decoys burning up Ukrainian anti-missile defense and raining down on civilian populations can be very effective. The question is what do they use after they used up all of these missiles?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

To make a silly fantasy wargame analogy, this is like running out of boulders for your catapults, and having your... I dunno.... say ogres, pick up the catapults and throw them at the other side. That might cause a lot of damage, but then what?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

TheRat posted:

If an empty missile was shot down, isn't that by definition achieving the effects they want? The terror of having missiles fly over your cities + the wasted resources of shooting down empty missiles / possibly missing armed missiles in the process

I think it would be even more effective to only shoot missiles with actual warheads on them because you have no need of rationing them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Quixzlizx posted:

I think it would be even more effective to only shoot missiles with actual warheads on them because you have no need of rationing them.

The VKS and Russia’s long range fires have been poorly used and targeted, but aerial decoys are a common thing used by the most modern militaries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-141_TALD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-160_MALD

https://www.elbitsystems-uk.com/what-we-do/air-space/self-protection/counter-measures/atald.pdf

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Rigel posted:

To make a silly fantasy wargame analogy, this is like running out of boulders for your catapults, and having your... I dunno.... say ogres, pick up the catapults and throw them at the other side. That might cause a lot of damage, but then what?

It's more like being faced with a scenario where artillery cannot be used and instead of retraining those crews for something useful, you march them out in front to soak up arrows. Well yeah, arrows are expensive and limited in number, and retraining takes time, so I guess it makes sense if you have to win within fewer turns than it takes to retrain the artillery crews. And it also makes sense if you have a bajillion artillery crews and you've realized that they will never be relevant.

Russia has far more nuclear missiles than they would ever need, and getting rid off of some of them is probably beneficial in the longer run. Having a lot of them is expensive and doesn't really give that much additional deterrence. It would be more efficient to make sure they're fitted with conventional warheads, but considering just how effective Ukrainian AA has become and the low accuracy of these missiles (nukes don't really need to be fully on target), maybe it's not worth wasting the cost and effort for a small chance of a hit.

But despite this being quite a rational thing to do (even if the infrastructure bombing strategy is stupid and evil), it does provide yet another indication that Russia is at a point where they're throwing everything they can possibly scrounge up at Ukraine, and thus points at Russian capabilities steadily declining.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rigel posted:

I think this analogy only works if Russia flies its bombers devoid of weapons over Ukraine and then they get shot down. So no…

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

I think this analogy only works if Russia flies its bombers devoid of weapons over Ukraine and then they get shot down. So no…

not yet

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Oh I meant famine is back BABY it's good again, as in awouuu wolf howl.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

slurm posted:

Just to confirm, you're cheering for a famine?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

The VKS and Russia’s long range fires have been poorly used and targeted, but aerial decoys are a common thing used by the most modern militaries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-141_TALD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-160_MALD

https://www.elbitsystems-uk.com/what-we-do/air-space/self-protection/counter-measures/atald.pdf

I'm guessing most militaries don't "decommision" nuclear cruise missiles and re-employ them as decoy missiles.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm guessing most militaries don't "decommision" nuclear cruise missiles and re-employ them as decoy missiles.

It would be significantly more dangerous to sling teslas with a catapult towards Ukraine.

Humor aside, I guess munitions are running low? I mean excusing using critical missiles for kinetic energy opens a lot of "why?" questions even now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Quixzlizx posted:

Not really. The US has done so to create target/test missiles and aircraft before, but not for use over other nations.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Humor aside, I guess munitions are running low? I mean excusing using critical missiles for kinetic energy opens a lot of "why?" questions even now.

AS-15s aren't really critical... Maybe they're available and make an OK decoy? But the AS-15 is obsolete as a part of Russia's nuclear triad.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/Jack_Watling/status/1596698941852033025?t=b1XN52lQwNrqyrXlI0aRmQ&s=19

This is a good thread on what's to be expected in Winter, with a few more details than the usual.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Maybe Russia is firing cruise missiles that would normally have a nuclear warhead (now re purposed with a dummy warhead) for the purpose of using up Ukrainian anti air missiles. Like I don't think Ukraine has very sizeable numbers of any kind of AA system other than S300s and I think for those they have no way to build more and very few countries have any to give away. And they only have a very limited amount of AA systems supplied by the west.

If Russia can wittle away at Ukraines AA missiles enough then they can really start using their airforce and go all Aleppo on the whole country.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There are a lot of s300s out there, it's one of the most widely produced and sold large surface-to-air missiles of the last 50 years. Also I think people are reading too much into 'nuclear capable,' which is a terms that describes the vast majority of larger missiles made by, hell, most nuclear powers for the last half of a century.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 27, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There are a lot of s300s out there, it's one of the most widely produced and sold large surface-to-air missiles of the last 50 years. Also I think people are reading too much into 'nuclear capable,' which is a terms that describes the vast majority of larger missiles made by, hell, most nuclear powers for the last half of a century.

I'm just going off what Wikipedia says, but it really doesn't seem like there are many places Ukraine can get more S300 missiles from. Slovakia donated the one system they had. All the other countries that have S300s are either allies of Russia or just unlikely to donate. So I don't know how many actual missiles Ukraine had at the start of the war, but chances are Russia has more cruise missiles.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Quixzlizx posted:

Being able to turn a nuclear cruise missile into a conventional cruise missile is a pretty normal thing. Ideally they're using them with conventional warheads, but maybe the ones they're using are too unreliable/old/inaccurate to justify putting the warheads on them. Using end of life cruise missiles like that to help overwhelm defenses and waste interceptor missiles is pretty reasonable.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

slurm posted:

TZer0 posted:

Just to confirm, you're cheering for a famine?

For anyone confused, slurm was making an ill-advised reference to a Dril tweet. Probably should have explained and moved on.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

For anyone confused, slurm was making an ill-advised reference to a Dril tweet. Probably should have explained and moved on.

Considering the history of their posts, that would’ve not changed the outcome. In general, I highly recommend not investing into making unobvious references in this thread.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

.... November 26th is the Holodomor remembrance day.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/Jack_Watling/status/1596698941852033025?t=b1XN52lQwNrqyrXlI0aRmQ&s=19

This is a good thread on what's to be expected in Winter, with a few more details than the usual.

'don't get cold and wet in the middle of war during winter' is obvious at first glance but it's interesting to see how it would actually affect soldiers directly. I used to do outdoor activities a lot, and one of the worst feelings you can get is being wet and cold with no way back or out. It absolutely sucks the energy & motivation out of you, and you can't just be a soldier man & tough it out. It has a real effect on you

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I imagine frostbite claiming fingers and toes also has a bit of an impact on combat effectiveness.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Conspiracy theories about Makey's possible assassination are multiplying. He was supposed to speak at OSCE foreign ministers conference in Warsaw (where Lavrov wasn't invited) 1-2 december, and now everyone's wondering what was he going to say

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sekenr posted:

Conspiracy theories about Makey's possible assassination are multiplying. He was supposed to speak at OSCE foreign ministers conference in Warsaw (where Lavrov wasn't invited) 1-2 december, and now everyone's wondering what was he going to say

Maybe he was just going to defect?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe he simply wasn’t assassinated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maybe it was the vaccines.

yes, I'm joking

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe he simply wasn’t assassinated.

Big maybe considering the regularity that Russia does a murder on “undesirables”.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tehinternet posted:

Big maybe considering the regularity that Russia does a murder on “undesirables”.

Belarus is a different country, and the guy in question had no power. While I’m sure that won’t deter people creating more and more elaborate theories about his death, I’d like people to refrain from salivating them in this thread until further information is made available.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Belarus is a different country

does nobody respect the Union Sta--okay, fine, nobody does

the late 2010s sorta-kinda opening of Belarus to the west wasn't nothing (hell yeah 30-day visa-free entry) and he played a part in it, but there wasn't much reason to assassinate him now, since that hasn't really been a priority for a while, for reasons

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1596923089144532992

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Makei died just after meeting a papal envoy, I wouldn't put it past Opus Dei that this was their hit to spread the influence of Catholicism. They already have Poland and Lithuania bagged, Belarus and Latvia will be next!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Makei died just after meeting a papal envoy, I wouldn't put it past Opus Dei that this was their hit to spread the influence of Catholicism. They already have Poland and Lithuania bagged, Belarus and Latvia will be next!

Nuncio expansionism

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Belarus is a different country, and the guy in question had no power. While I’m sure that won’t deter people creating more and more elaborate theories about his death, I’d like people to refrain from salivating them in this thread until further information is made available.

I've come to the conclusion that this thread really loves a good conspiracy theory. The more far out, the better.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The guy was in his 60s, it’s not like it’s improbable that he could have just croaked.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
This is new afaik

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...ces-2022-11-28/

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Considering a proposition to build something to deliver in spring 2023 is quite far off, there are tons of things that can change until then. As it stands now it's a "thought and a prayer". However some parts of the article sound very fearmongery, uncharacteristic for Reuters. I doubt that the american arms stocks are "shrinking" significantly., they still got poo poo to spare.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

TheRat posted:

This might also be a test to see if the missile couldn't get past the anti-air defece (of course it couldn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/DrRadchenko/status/1597098667206664194?t=03RQFiLN0V9HrDFdy5ge-g&s=19

If you want to do some light reading on previous experiences with targeting national power grids.