Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That could be hundreds of miles for all I know!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Soul Dentist posted:

That could be hundreds of miles for all I know!!

its the opposite, about 50 miles

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

there are irl public toilets in denmark but back in 00 or 01 i was taking the last train to a new years eve party, about 10-10:30pm and i really had to piss, like 5 min emergency. the train toilets were locked off since the 90s & i didnt feel right about pissing on the floor so i went up to the engine and asked the guy if he could hold up for a minute so i could step out and take a leak. he was like "no way im stopping, im going home after. you can step out and watch me leave or piss out the door" so alright, i slid open a door and held it with my shoulder while i drunkenly pissed out into the forest at 50 mph. cold air and sleet made me feel sober for a minute but i absolutely wasnt. for some reason i did not fall out the train & get cut in half by a tree, so i got back to the engine & thanked the man. ten minutes later we were at our destination, fresh and energized except the friend who invited me had gone to bed

You just posted the most Danish thing, this should be framed in the local museum for trains as an example for future generations

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

barbecue at the folks posted:

You just posted the most Danish thing, this should be framed in the local museum for trains as an example for future generations

eh i would say its general european. probably canada would fit, too. anywhere that has trains and forests really

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It would be more Danish if it involved bicycles, red brick buildings, and racism.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Alhazred posted:

In an alternate, some would say better, timeline the cycloped (a train powered by horses) from 1829 beat trains powered by steam:

the logistics of this are very fun to think about

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just keep imagining the horse walking, then stopping when the train starts moving to ride it, then walking again when it stops, over and over again in this lurching farce

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Hedningen posted:

Makes sense - a lot of the poetry of the era was remarkably vulgar. He’s no Bellman, but ol’ Stiernhielm could get nice and bawdy when he felt like it.

Side note: all of Stiernhielm’s fancy portraits depict him with his left hand forward or his right concealed. The reason? He lost his right hand in a bar fight, and we can date his writings based on the handwriting changes.

His major notable work is Hercules at the Crossroads, which is baroque as gently caress. Had a great seminar in grad school that spent a few weeks going through his work, and always enjoyed it.

Maybe even better, it was during a baptism, drunk as hell he had beef with some Wrangel boys and his right wrist was ruined by a rapier.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Nov 26, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brawnfire posted:

I just keep imagining the horse walking, then stopping when the train starts moving to ride it, then walking again when it stops, over and over again in this lurching farce

I'm just imagining how awkward it would be when it takes off

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
It can't take off on a treadmill

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Azhais posted:

I'm just imagining how awkward it would be when it takes off

you'd need horse teams to pull it to get the machine up to speed, and the machine itself would have to preserve energy and use it carefully, so in that era of technology we're talking about flywheels and gearboxes, we're also talking about grooms for the horses and resting time for both grooms and horses, space for all of that

we're talking about huge carriage trains just to keep going and regular stops to take on feed and water and let off manure

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I mean, okay, but instead we just spent a couple centuries burning fossil fuels and now the globe is on fire. I think I'd prefer the awkward horsy caravan thing :smith:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Wasn't one of the reasons the car was invented because by that time cities were basically filled with manure and dying horses on the streets?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

the engine of this thing would resemble a very complex horse hotel and racetrack

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The largest rail operator in the Netherlands has 2 types of trains. Intercities that only stop at the larger city stations (one stop every 30 mins or so) and 'Sprinters' that stop at every station (every 5 mins).

At some point in the early 00s when they were launching their new Sprinter design they said: "people are never on this train longer than 30 mins so we don't need to include on-board toilets". First of all, that's not true. There's plenty of areas where taking a Sprinter for a longer stretch is the most convenient way to get somewhere. And secondly who are you to say people don't need to piss just when they're on board? Especially because station toilets are either locked or expensive.

Anyway, the railways responded to the public outrage by going "it's okay. We'll give all our Sprinter conductors access to an emergency stash of baggies to do your business in."

This did not improve things.

In the end they did another redesign and decided to include toilets this time.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

Carbon dioxide posted:

The largest rail operator in the Netherlands has 2 types of trains. Intercities that only stop at the larger city stations (one stop every 30 mins or so) and 'Sprinters' that stop at every station (every 5 mins).

At some point in the early 00s when they were launching their new Sprinter design they said: "people are never on this train longer than 30 mins so we don't need to include on-board toilets". First of all, that's not true. There's plenty of areas where taking a Sprinter for a longer stretch is the most convenient way to get somewhere. And secondly who are you to say people don't need to piss just when they're on board? Especially because station toilets are either locked or expensive.

Anyway, the railways responded to the public outrage by going "it's okay. We'll give all our Sprinter conductors access to an emergency stash of baggies to do your business in."

For some reason, when I board Dutch trains, is usually when I suddenly need to piss the most.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Carbon dioxide posted:

Toilets are a new luxury in some the train networks here in australa, here in brisbane the goto was to shut yourself between the two sets of gangway doors and piss on the concertina cover between the carriages, years ago getting off at a station used to be no help at all since most stops outside the inner city were unstaffed and had the toilets boarded up to keep the homeless out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Molentik posted:

Wasn't one of the reasons the car was invented because by that time cities were basically filled with manure and dying horses on the streets?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

The sleeper “roomette” rooms (the smallest rooms two people can lay down and sleep in) on the american long distance trains are not much better

People wonder why train’s are not used more in the USA (this is AMTRAK) btw

Chopstix has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Nov 26, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bring back corridor coaches.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chopstix posted:

The sleeper rooms (the smallest rooms two people can lay down and sleep in) on the american long distance trains are not much better

People wonder why train’s are not used more in the USA

You just ..sit next to the shitter the whole time?

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Yeah man, good news too, you can have an audience with you since the other passenger is directly across from you.

Also, i may be mistaken but I dont think you have a door to your room, only a curtain.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah that's insane. At least the shitter on a Greyhound bus has a door. That's worse than a prison cell. What is that, Amtrak?

I've always wanted to take The Canadian, VIA Rail's westbound cross-country train ride. The cabins look reasonable and there's even (sometimes) a car with a bubble observation deck - although I understand you're not really seeing much until you get into the mountains in the west. It's also exorbitantly expensive, but that's the kind of trip I'd love to spring for. gently caress being packed in like sardines next to some unmasked idiot with a crying baby and having your ears pop, trains are classy and luxurious.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chopstix posted:

The sleeper “roomette” rooms (the smallest rooms two people can lay down and sleep in) on the american long distance trains are not much better

Lmfao. That is dire as gently caress.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

How on earth is plumbing in X different toilets easier than having 1-2 per carriage? Who is that for?! Who wants that?!

Edit: apart from scat fetishists or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chopstix posted:

sorry, my knees!

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Chopstix posted:

how the gently caress lmao

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Chopstix posted:

Yeah man, good news too, you can have an audience with you since the other passenger is directly across from you.

Also, i may be mistaken but I dont think you have a door to your room, only a curtain.

They have locking doors. The newer sleeping cars have gotten rid of the in room shitter for a couple of shared one in the car.

That's also the smallest sleeping car compartment. The next size up has a toilet in a sepate room.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Weembles posted:

They have locking doors. The newer sleeping cars have gotten rid of the in room shitter for a couple of shared one in the car.

That's also the smallest sleeping car compartment. The next size up has a toilet in a sepate room.

They might be better now, but that doesn't excuse the fact that someone (in fact a lot of people) thought that travesty was a good idea.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Roblo posted:

They might be better now, but that doesn't excuse the fact that someone (in fact a lot of people) thought that travesty was a good idea.

Alternatively, they didn't think it was a good idea. They thought it was a cheap idea.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chopstix posted:

Even with that I'd consider taking a train other than one tiny issue

So I can spend 120 hours and $2000 round trip with three train swaps to visit my brother, or $1200 and 8.5 hours to fly first class (or like $200 to fly Southwest business class)

And even if you're one of those "but the experience :byodood:" types it's still like 12 hours faster to just drive and experience anything I want on the way

Passenger trains need a ground up rebuild to be useful here

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Azhais posted:

So I can spend 120 hours and $2000 round trip with three train swaps to visit my brother, or $1200 and 8.5 hours to fly first class (or like $200 to fly Southwest business class)

And even if you're one of those "but the experience :byodood:" types it's still like 12 hours faster to just drive and experience anything I want on the way

Most of the momentum around building back passenger rail that I've seen has been around shorter routes connecting cities in the same region. St Paul to SF will always be a long trip but that shouldn't stop us from getting more than one train a day between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah that's insane. At least the shitter on a Greyhound bus has a door. That's worse than a prison cell. What is that, Amtrak?

I've always wanted to take The Canadian, VIA Rail's westbound cross-country train ride. The cabins look reasonable and there's even (sometimes) a car with a bubble observation deck - although I understand you're not really seeing much until you get into the mountains in the west. It's also exorbitantly expensive, but that's the kind of trip I'd love to spring for. gently caress being packed in like sardines next to some unmasked idiot with a crying baby and having your ears pop, trains are classy and luxurious.

You can look forward to a lot of this in the prairies before you hit the mountains

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Alternatively, they didn't think it was a good idea. They thought it was a cheap idea.

Well that's what I was trying to say earlier. I can't see how it's cheaper than just plumbing in 2 toilets per carriage. That's a lot more services/pipes under the floor etc. Let alone the increased running costs due to all the cleaning. No one wins.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
You're assuming they actually have plumbing.
Who knows what might be considered a cost-cutting opportunity.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It was probably just a part of the cheapest overall contract bid that fulfilled the stated needs. So it's both not the cost efficient way and also selected for it's cheapness

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Soul Dentist posted:

It was probably just a part of the cheapest overall contract bid that fulfilled the stated needs. So it's both not the cost efficient way and also selected for it's cheapness

But probably marketed as an expensive "private sleeper cabin with full amenities."

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I was on the similar boat; I have plenty of leave and time to burn, and I would happily spend it sleeping and being comfortable playing video games if it was way cheaper, but it is not, especially for long distance. It seems more feasible doing something like, d While a viewing car and dining car seems fine, I can’t help but feel like it’s just expenses and additional costs/potential savings gone to waste.

I believe the only real benefits of taking the train and visiting your brother is that #1 you can bring a vehicle on the train #2, I assume it would be easier for a pet (but where would they use the bathroom?). Maybe a moving situation.

Trying to “re-rail” back onto the topic of historical facts, apparently old west trains used “hopper” toilets where they just dumped it onto the tracks, and it is still being done that way in England apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/03/uk-railway-firms-faiil-to-clean-up-waste-dumping-act

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Chopstix posted:

Yeah, I was on the similar boat; I have plenty of leave and time to burn, and I would happily spend it sleeping and being comfortable playing video games if it was way cheaper, but it is not, especially for long distance. It seems more feasible doing something like, d While a viewing car and dining car seems fine, I can’t help but feel like it’s just expenses and additional costs/potential savings gone to waste.

I believe the only real benefits of taking the train and visiting your brother is that #1 you can bring a vehicle on the train #2, I assume it would be easier for a pet (but where would they use the bathroom?). Maybe a moving situation.

Trying to “re-rail” back onto the topic of historical facts, apparently old west trains used “hopper” toilets where they just dumped it onto the tracks, and it is still being done that way in England apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/03/uk-railway-firms-faiil-to-clean-up-waste-dumping-act

Although it seems super backwards (it is) its not as much of an issue as it might seem. I dont think many trains do it these days so its not like there is poo poo everywhere, well no more than normal anyway.

Apparently it used to mean lots of tomato plants grew inbetween the rails from all the BLT sandwiches people had eaten on trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chopstix posted:

They banned that poo poo like 30 years ago here in norway but I remember flushing the train toilet aa a child over and over again just to see the tracks speed by through the shitter lol