Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Twitter's new slogan is just "The cruelty is the point" now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Wonder if he fired the people who only stuck around with the Twitter Hardcore stuff because Twitter was sponsoring their work visas i.e. they couldn't really quit if they wanted to

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nine-gear crow posted:

Chad Loder's been perma'd three times in the last 24 hours, this last time while he was in the middle outlining a massive data breach that was still possibly underway at Twitter.

:rip:

Oh well, at least we get Milo and the floor shitter back next week, right?

Which one, Chuck Johnson or Kent State gun girl?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Which one, Chuck Johnson or Kent State gun girl?

Yes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1595684664228052992

So he apparently fired a bunch of devs based on his 'code review', the day before Thanksgiving, and gave them 4 weeks severance. If they had chosen to leave instead of clicking 'yes' to Twitter Hardcore, they would have gotten 3 months severance.

It's an example of the power of labor laws in action.

The people who said no to Twitter Hardcore were part of a mass layoff, which means they were covered under the WARN Act requirement of 60-day warning for layoffs. So technically, they're getting paid for two months to do nothing, right up until their official layoff in January, after which point they get one month severance.

The people getting fired right now are not part of a mass layoff, which means that they get just the one-month severance.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

musk shitcanned the guy responsible for 280 character tweets lol

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1595818243620380672

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
His obsession with code is bizarre. Twitter works fine. There's nothing technically wrong with it. It doesn't sell enough ads to be profitable.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Owling Howl posted:

His obsession with code is bizarre. Twitter works fine. There's nothing technically wrong with it. It doesn't sell enough ads to be profitable.

He doesn't know how to do it, so he thinks it is magic capable of solving all the world's problems.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Owling Howl posted:

What I assume is that he wants to see the results of his employees, where the mass of code just shows how hard they're working.
Imagine a director from the 1920s yelling at the extras to EMOTE! EMOTE! as they move around the background during filming.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Owling Howl posted:

I’ve seen so many posts from claiming that “it’s just a software problem, and a software genius like Musk will solve EVERYTHING!!” and it’s just insane.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

It's not like he actually bought Twitter to make technical upgrades in the first place. He's been clear all along that he's aiming at social/cultural issues like "there's too many bots in my replies" and "right-wingers I agree with get banned and left-wingers I disagree with don't".

It's reputation management. Rather than looking like an incompetent fool who ran the company into the ground within a month and is now desperately slashing expenses to stave off cashflow disaster, he'd rather portray himself as a HARDCORE programmer who's driving out the weak, the lazy, and the incompetent to turn Twitter into a super lean startup staffed exclusively by 100x genius programmers willing to put in real work.

The thing is that he's extremely reliant on the image he's cultivated as the genius technical guy who brilliantly solves technical problems and has gotten rich off his technical mastery. Regardless of whether it's true or not, he's managed to successfully craft that reputation in popular culture, and that reputation is a large part of why anyone gives him the time of day. He gets a lot more slack than other CEOs would, his customers put up with a lot of poo poo they wouldn't take from other companies, and he's got his own personality cult filled with dedicated fanboys. A lot of people don't buy it, of course, but enough do - especially in the corners of Silicon Valley culture that practically idolize that sort of person. So for everything he does with Twitter, he has to do it in a way that cultivates and reinforces that image in the eyes of extremely credulous and naive business types and "I loving LOVE TECHNOLOGY" types.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owling Howl posted:

These tech bros think computers are literally magic, and literally all problems can be solved by computering at it hard enough.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Owling Howl posted:

That’s it, though. There’s nothing technically wrong with it, so why does he need any engineers since construction is complete.

The Golden Gate Bridge was completed 85 years ago, and hasn’t needed a single structural engineer, materials scientist, or maintenance technician since.

Oh, wait that’s not true. Elon’s just a dumbfuck.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The fact that so many people call him "Elon" even when they're dunking on him shows how well his media-shaping has worked. Call him Musk. He ain't your friend. (Boris Johnson got away with the same thing for way too long in the UK because he spent years cultivating his first-name-terms image.)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Main Paineframe posted:

The people getting fired right now are not part of a mass layoff, which means that they get just the one-month severance.
Or it's a charade to mass-layoff people and make it look like they're being dropped for performance, which is what he did at Tesla already.

Ratfuckery should be the default assumption now.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 25, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly everyone he dropped were people on visas.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly everyone he dropped were people on visas.

"hm, i'm very worried i'm not being evil enough

how could i fix this"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The chuds are in a froth over a list of 5,000 Twitter accounts they've branded as antifa, and are urging one another to mass report all of these accounts to get them banned. I found this entertaining and slightly surreal exchange related to this incident.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Payndz posted:

The fact that so many people call him "Elon" even when they're dunking on him shows how well his media-shaping has worked. Call him Musk. He ain't your friend. (Boris Johnson got away with the same thing for way too long in the UK because he spent years cultivating his first-name-terms image.)
Elon sounds stupider, plus funnier misspellings. Also he is my friend ok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"hm, i'm very worried i'm not being evil enough

how could i fix this"

Probably saw some of the people talking about how the only ones left are the ones who don't have a choice and got extra mad.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The chuds are in a froth over a list of 5,000 Twitter accounts they've branded as antifa, and are urging one another to mass report all of these accounts to get them banned. I found this entertaining and slightly surreal exchange related to this incident.

They put dril on that list. So much for comedy being legal.

And libsoftiktok lol.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Young Freud posted:

They put dril on that list. So much for comedy being legal.

And libsoftiktok lol.

Is there a way of checking that list out without giving chuds clicks?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there a way of checking that list out without giving chuds clicks?

Here's the list in alphabetical order
https://votethemallout.ca/a.txt

Or you can go through this thread for the highlights...
https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1596066707746873344?s=20&t=GGxUgM5f3wQXsv4sWiwLXQ

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Ahaha holy gently caress the CIA and FBI's accounts are on that list. It's literally just a list of posting enemies violent extremist Republicans hate for not letting them do whatever they want to other people. :allears:

Edit: The Onion's twitter account is on that list too. Looks like comedy is illegal in fashie land.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 26, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Young Freud posted:

Here's the list in alphabetical order
https://votethemallout.ca/a.txt

Or you can go through this thread for the highlights...
https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1596066707746873344?s=20&t=GGxUgM5f3wQXsv4sWiwLXQ

Cheers!

Archonex posted:

Ahaha holy gently caress the CIA and FBI's accounts are on that list. It's literally just a list of posting enemies violent extremist Republicans hate for not letting them do whatever they want to other people. :allears:

Edit: The Onion's twitter account is on that list too. Looks like comedy is illegal in fashie land.

There's only room for one joke.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yah, Elon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And now Twitter has made the "Identify as..." anti-joke more achievable than ever.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

evilweasel posted:

note that based on the p/e multiple this has a whole lot more falling to do

market can stay irrational more than you can stay solvent etc etc but ughhhhhhhhhh i've felt like shorting Tesla has been an absolute sure bet for a while now and its all coming true

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

idiotsavant posted:

market can stay irrational more than you can stay solvent etc etc but ughhhhhhhhhh i've felt like shorting Tesla has been an absolute sure bet for a while now and its all coming true

You don't just have to know that it's overvalued, you have to know approximately when it will fall to its true value.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You also have to be even more sure it won't go up instead, because then you have a big problem

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I've never in my life given a poo poo or clicked on anything about Tesla stock, and yet Twitter now is constantly pushing tweets about how I need to go all in on Tesla to my feed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I've never in my life given a poo poo or clicked on anything about Tesla stock, and yet Twitter now is constantly pushing tweets about how I need to go all in on Tesla to my feed.

Wow that’s pathetically transparent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I know nothing about regulation in this area; would that be legal?

vvv this, then, might be the purpose for which Musk ultimately sought to buy Twitter.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 27, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Discendo Vox posted:

I know nothing about regulation in this area; would that be legal?

I don’t think so, it’s very shameless, but I don’t think it’s against any rules.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He was already able to do that for free just by posting, hard to imagine he can reverse the recent decline by posting harder and buying pump ads

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

seems liek if musk only wanted to buy twitter to get discounted advertising for tesla, he wouldn't have done all the other stuff he did

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Payndz posted:

For Musk, I thought people are calling him "Elon" out of a lack of respect.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also "musk" is already a word in English, and not a very pleasant one

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Remember how he was threatening to publicly call out companies who cut their Twitter advertising, and how it was extremely obviously a terrible idea?

Not only has he decided to do it after all, but he picked one heck of a first target.

Picking an Extremely Not Mad public spat with Apple of all companies is a move that has me wondering if he's more high on his own supply than I thought he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Saw that in another thread, but wanted to thank you for taking the time to screenshot rather than embeds.