Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/EITC_Official/status/1594885357937778688?t=-j_5IeXGJzOGpyDsNS7Jiw&s=19

gee what a win for TeamRed!11!1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's got an OK beat but you can't really dance to it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The copiate of the masses?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man this guy is chasing his own shadows. Pure strain anti intellectualism right here.
https://twitter.com/EITC_Official/status/1596343840608522243?t=l4ziAh9Ad7eVQ7QITupZMg&s=19

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that really new though

Also the concept of RWM and conservative republicans being all in on worrying about nepotism is pretty rich.

And, of course, it's really something to see the news outlets that are the only ones that almost half the people in this country trust or even watch suddenly caring about it now that the GOP won the midterms. They're very very concerned about Biden's family and think it's just horrible that any president would jeopardize national security like that by putting Hunter in official charge of foreign relations, since that would be terrible.

But let's all get back to the business of creating a monarchy, like the founding fathers intended, led by the Trumps.

...edited for some really terrible writing

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 26, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's interesting is that if the Tucker Carlson's of the world continue this kind of behavior, they are likely going to continue losing elections. You are starting to see it some conservative media, there are less stories about Trump but you've got so many idiots on conservative media and in Congress that are going to keep rooting for MAGA Morons. As time goes on, these folks will become less popular. Yes, they'll be popular but only with their own base. That's not enough to win elections.

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1590377178906124290?s=20&t=Qopw0goff4bTwR2Mk26Xpw

never thought i'd live to see the day when "independents" actually acted like independents. legit staggering numbers

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Panfilo posted:

Man this guy is chasing his own shadows. Pure strain anti intellectualism right here.
https://twitter.com/EITC_Official/status/1596343840608522243?t=l4ziAh9Ad7eVQ7QITupZMg&s=19

Why did he rip off the Game THeory logo for his bullshit?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neito posted:

Why did he rip off the Game THeory logo for his bullshit?

got a pull in morons in someshow.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nice piece about just how weird the right is becoming: https://newrepublic.com/article/169050/masters-vance-weird-right-republicans

quote:

West’s bizarre fascination with the imagery of medieval Europe does not exist in a vacuum: The right is getting weirder. That might begin to cost Republicans elections in years to come and undermine their own appeals to American patriotism in a way policy extremism alone could not. American voters see the political parties as equally extreme in policy, ignoring evidence that Republicans have moved right much faster than Democrats have moved left. However, a party fixated on genital sunning, seed oils, Catholic integralism, European aristocracy, and occultism can alienate voters not because of its positions but because of how it presents them—and itself. Among the right’s intellectual avant garde and media elites, there is a growing adoption of habits, aesthetics, and views that are not only out of step with America’s but are deliberately cultivated in opposition to a national majority that the new right holds in contempt.

This is a different—though parallel—phenomenon from the often raucous, conspiratorial personality cult that surrounds Donald Trump and his devoted base. This new turn has predominantly manifested among the upper-class and college-educated right wing. Indeed, as Democratic strategist David Shor noted, as those with college degrees become more left leaning, the remaining conservatives have gotten “really very weird.” In this well-off cohort, there exists a mirror of the excesses often attributed to the college-educated left, fairly or unfairly: an aversion to mainstream values and an extreme militancy.

Also, Pew Research updated their survey of American religious identity and woo boy Christianity is taking a nose dive: https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/modeling-the-future-of-religion-in-america/

In the last thirty years, Americans have gone from 90% identifying as Christian to 63%. It's astonishing. And it's age-related - people under 50 are less Christian than that, and people under 25 are even less Christian.

One of the earliest, bitterest political lessons I learned in my life was that the numbers don't lie, This Is A Christian Nation, and that puts a hard limit of how fast any kind of progress can be made (and also provides an enormous permanent constituency for counter-progress). But if these numbers hold true (and that Pew article has a number of efforts trying to model how this trend tracks into the future), very soon this will not be a Christian country - possibly even in my lifetime! This is an astonishing, tectonic change and it gets almost zero public consideration.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FMguru posted:

Nice piece about just how weird the right is becoming: https://newrepublic.com/article/169050/masters-vance-weird-right-republicans

Also, Pew Research updated their survey of American religious identity and woo boy Christianity is taking a nose dive: https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/modeling-the-future-of-religion-in-america/

In the last thirty years, Americans have gone from 90% identifying as Christian to 63%. It's astonishing. And it's age-related - people under 50 are less Christian than that, and people under 25 are even less Christian.

One of the earliest, bitterest political lessons I learned in my life was that the numbers don't lie, This Is A Christian Nation, and that puts a hard limit of how fast any kind of progress can be made (and also provides an enormous permanent constituency for counter-progress). But if these numbers hold true (and that Pew article has a number of efforts trying to model how this trend tracks into the future), very soon this will not be a Christian country - possibly even in my lifetime! This is an astonishing, tectonic change and it gets almost zero public consideration.

It's strangely appropriate that the unabatedly emergent modern neo Nazi right has its own equally emergent Thule Society of alchemist mystic weirdos obsessed with blood and magic and semen.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FMguru posted:

It doesn't surprise me too much. I should identify as Christian. I was raised Christian and my father took me to church frequently where I had nothing but good experiences. I also work in a relatively more conservative industry with a lot of Christians around.

However, right-wing politics have inextricably welded themselves to the church and vice-versa. If I tell someone I'm Christian, the first impression they have of me is that I will hate LGBT people. The second impression is that I will likely dislike brown people. And with the recent Q-poo poo infesting evangelical communities, they'll probably also assume I'm into several different mutually exclusive conspiracy theories.

And the thing is, a lot of Jesus's teachings are good (and I mean Jesus specifically, not Paul, not the old testament stuff). "Love thy neighbor" is a really good thing to tell people. We should accept and welcome people who aren't like us. We should take care of those less fortunate. We should heal those who are sick, feed those who are hungry, and generally prioritize the general welfare.

But that's not what evangelical Christians stand for, and those teachings run directly counter to the way that they vote and the positions that they publicly support. So people like me are driven away from the church because gently caress being associated with those assholes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FMguru posted:

I think this is a big deal but also the “demographic shift will save us” thing feels like the same talk 10 years ago about the US no longer being a majority-white nation. It could be an inroad into shifting political mores for the better but also conservatives will find ways to make inroads with the increasing percentage of people who don’t identify as Christian. You can look at the push for anti-trans legislation and policy for evidence of that. They’re doing the same sort of othering that they did with gay people but this time their base of “evidence” is mostly secular and has the same sort of pseudo-science vibe that anti-vaccination pushes have had for years. I think that’s gonna be the line conservatives push in the future, along with an even further fetishization of patriotism (because you can stop believing in God but you can’t stop believing in America).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross.

With regulatory capture and judicial appointments.

"If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy."

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FMguru posted:

That's amazing! Clinton becomes president, the religious right welds themselves to the Republicans, Christianity starts to die. I'm getting it ends up stopping at about 30%-40%.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The article just mentions them once but I gotta say it: Tradcaths fascinate me because they handle Christianity the same way a white guy with dreadlocks approaches Native American Shamanism.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jesus III posted:

That's amazing! Clinton becomes president, the religious right welds themselves to the Republicans, Christianity starts to die. I'm getting it ends up stopping at about 30%-40%.
There are a bunch of factors, including the Internet and a bunch of fiascos like the "Intelligent Design" mess. (Although I'm gagging a bit thinking of how the current SCOTUS majority would have ruled on Kitzmiller v. Dover now.)

Dirk the Average posted:

If I tell someone I'm Christian, the first impression they have of me is that I will hate LGBT people. The second impression is that I will likely dislike brown people. And with the recent Q-poo poo infesting evangelical communities, they'll probably also assume I'm into several different mutually exclusive conspiracy theories.
You can add "has patriarchal views of womens' role in society" to the list.

Dirk the Average posted:

And the thing is, a lot of Jesus's teachings are good (and I mean Jesus specifically, not Paul, not the old testament stuff). "Love thy neighbor" is a really good thing to tell people. We should accept and welcome people who aren't like us. We should take care of those less fortunate. We should heal those who are sick, feed those who are hungry, and generally prioritize the general welfare.
Right, and that naturally should lead to things like more humanitarian aid and doing things to end poverty, which evangelicals have been relentlessly undermining.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 27, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FMguru posted:

Yeah it’s interesting seeing the “intellectual” class of the GOP go full weirdo trad freak wannabe monarchist poo poo where they lust for loving peasant simplicity with big titty peasant virgins/mommy’s and other stupid poo poo. Like I doubt Christianity gets marginalized but I do think hard right Christianity will be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

There are a bunch of factors, including the Internet and a bunch of fiascos like the "Intelligent Design" mess. (Although I'm gagging a bit thinking of how the current SCOTUS majority would have ruled on Kitzmiller v. Dover now.)

You can add "has patriarchal views of womens' role in society" to the list.

The intelligent design stuff seems pretty dead now outside the religious right.

DarklyDreaming posted:

The article just mentions them once but I gotta say it: Tradcaths fascinate me because they handle Christianity the same way a white guy with dreadlocks approaches Native American Shamanism.

To me they handle it like like I do 40k or other weird nerdy poo poo. They love the lore and world building above all all mixed with freaks like dreher looking for strong daddy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jesus III posted:

I'd stop short of calling it "amazing" but it's encouraging at least. And I don't know if correlation = causation here but, if you wanted to, one could see a pattern relating to the rise of internet usage.

Thing is, though, the christian right is going to look at a graph like this and cite it as a reason for why America is going into the shitter, run over by trans and gay folks, pin it to the US not allowing prayer in schools and that we need to find Christ again. Much in the way that they like to try and claim that natural disasters are God striking back - at least when when it suits their narrative. Recall that Pat Robertson and some other TV Christian guy blamed 9/11 on gay people.

It's all bullshit and almost entirely a total centuries old regressive con led by people who want to control others while convincing them that tithings make them good people and allow them to buy their way into heaven.

Maybe people are catching on that "give me money now and when you DIE, you'll reap the rewards" reeks of total nonsense. But, if I'm being honest, even 63% seems too high for me even though it's encouraging. Last time I checked, the polling still said that Americans would vote for a Muslim over an atheist - and "atheist" comes in last for politicians running for office.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

FMguru posted:

If I had to guess, a good chunk of those "Religiously unaffiliated" people would still identify as Christian if you sat them down individually and had a conversation with them about their worldview. It's just that at this point, "Being a Christian in public" is a completely tarnished brand. "Yes, I believe Jesus died for our sins" is now heavily publicly associated with "By the way, LGBTQ people want to gently caress our kids, we should kick out the Muslims, and women should be forced to give birth no matter what", so I totally understand the reluctance to be a part of that group even by association. Like, yes, there's a definite shift underway, but I wonder how much of that is fueled by actual religious conversion, and how much of it is based around not having the energy to explain that you're Christian, but you're not one of those Christians.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Hell, even within the Religious Right, they barely talk about Intelligent Design anymore. It was always just a Trojan horse to get creationism into schools, so as soon as they lost Kitzmiller vs. Dover, they dropped their educational freedom pretenses like a hot potato and went right back to preaching that the earth is 6000 years old and anyone who says otherwise is evil.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Hell, even within the Religious Right, they barely talk about Intelligent Design anymore. It was always just a Trojan horse to get creationism into schools, so as soon as they lost Kitzmiller vs. Dover, they dropped their educational freedom pretenses like a hot potato and went right back to preaching that the earth is 6000 years old and anyone who says otherwise is evil.

The angle now is teaching evolution violates religious liberty.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

If I had to guess, a good chunk of those "Religiously unaffiliated" people would still identify as Christian if you sat them down individually and had a conversation with them about their worldview. It's just that at this point, "Being a Christian in public" is a completely tarnished brand. "Yes, I believe Jesus died for our sins" is now heavily publicly associated with "By the way, LGBTQ people want to gently caress our kids, we should kick out the Muslims, and women should be forced to give birth no matter what", so I totally understand the reluctance to be a part of that group even by association. Like, yes, there's a definite shift underway, but I wonder how much of that is fueled by actual religious conversion, and how much of it is based around not having the energy to explain that you're Christian, but you're not one of those Christians.

On the flip side of this coin I've run into blatantly theocratic Evangelical types who will then claim that they don't have a "religion", they "have a personal relationship with Jesus" as a way of squirming out of whatever legal framework prevents them from carving out special privileges for Christianity in blatant violation of the Constitution.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's very dead, but it was one of many things that made national headlines out of Christians being morons, and every time that happens it gets more people to question their affiliation.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Like I doubt Christianity gets marginalized but I do think hard right Christianity will be.
I don't think so, the portion of it that gets the most attention is that way because it operates on a cycle of extracting a lot of money from its adherents and then using that money to buy attention and influence. I don't think denominations that do more productive things with their resources can really compete with that as far as being "the face of Christianity."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

On the flip side of this coin I've run into blatantly theocratic Evangelical types who will then claim that they don't have a "religion", they "have a personal relationship with Jesus" as a way of squirming out of whatever legal framework prevents them from carving out special privileges for Christianity in blatant violation of the Constitution.

I've seen this too. I seem to recall Chick even used it in a number of his insufferable cartoon tracts where it went something like:

SINFUL MORON: "Are you religious?"
PIUS GOODPERSON: "No, I'm Christian."

The idea is what you posit above, but also a way to backhand all other faiths as being markedly lesser than Christianity,* which is a deeply personal walk with the lord etc etc.

*here defined by whatever subset or branch the speaker belongs to, and likely not even including all other Christians.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/its_the_Dr/status/1596709393932095490?t=glQ__QTfmkzPu5ZF_fj9OA&s=19

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Please don't just post chud accounts without any commentary.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...r-idUSL1N2YH27Q
"The photograph was taken in Belarus in June 2005."

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

"Yeah, but that'd just because the media won't cover this definitely real phenomenon that I didn't make up"

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 28, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Doesn't that passport say "Россия" ("Russia") at the top?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Doesn't that passport say "Россия" ("Russia") at the top?

Having to do some real powerful squinting but yeah it looks like it says Rossiye

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's a part on the top that got cut off without me realizing it, which says "and just like that, Liberals don't want to punch Nazis anymore". The absurdity of that statement was why I linked it here without comment.

It's also consistent with this dig right wingers have against anyone sympathetic to Ukraine. "Ukraine flag in bio" is the new "pronouns in bio", something I'm still trying to understand. My best assumption is that conservatives are so cynical they can't accept the idea of solidarity towards anything. The same people that breathlessly signal "support the troops" believe anyone with that type of enthusiasm towards anything else is just virtue signaling.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Panfilo posted:

It's also consistent with this dig right wingers have against anyone sympathetic to Ukraine. "Ukraine flag in bio" is the new "pronouns in bio", something I'm still trying to understand. My best assumption is that conservatives are so cynical they can't accept the idea of solidarity towards anything. The same people that breathlessly signal "support the troops" believe anyone with that type of enthusiasm towards anything else is just virtue signaling.

That, and a whole lot of them are more than casually sympathetic to Russia as Putin's regime is pretty close to what they hoped Trump would manage when it comes to an authoritarian ethnostate with rigidly enforced sexual and gender norms and deeply patriarchal Christianity given free reign.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Since it came up and we're talking about it, one of my kid's 6th grade teachers told the class that Bill Gates wants to eliminate half the population and was apparently running some of the Q poo poo in class. I told my son it's bullshit and that teachers aren't always right. His mom and me are looking into ways to report this and maybe do something about it but I live in Desantis Land so I am not holding my breath.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Why did bill gates put so much money into curing malaria if he wants the population cut in half? I mean according to the conspiracy people

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When I was in high school there was a long term substitute turned teacher who was probably like that. The thing I remember about him was he really hated Mike Tyson and there was this running joke about how you could hijack the classroom discussion by asking him his opinion on Mike Tyson. Now, this was around when his rape conviction made news so the teacher's rant was of course intended to come off as "rapists are bad people he should face consequences".

But his rant would be so maliciously specific and long winded. At the time we just laughed it off as "wow Mr. Thomas really doesn't like Mike Tyson now that he's a rapist". It was like this (paraphrased)

quote:

"I hate Mike Tyson, he's a horrible rapist. I swear, they ought to string him up, chop off his cojones, stomp on em, and burn what's left."
. It was really specific and really consistent, pretty much all of his class periods were able to goad him into going on this rant.

I could totally imagine that if he got confronted by the principal, like the most tepid" maybe lay off on the Mike Tyson revenge fantasies and stick to the AP European History curriculum" he'd probably flippantly react with "Oh, so you're PRO RAPIST now?".

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Panfilo posted:

When I was in high school there was a long term substitute turned teacher who was probably like that. The thing I remember about him was he really hated Mike Tyson and there was this running joke about how you could hijack the classroom discussion by asking him his opinion on Mike Tyson. Now, this was around when his rape conviction made news so the teacher's rant was of course intended to come off as "rapists are bad people he should face consequences".

But his rant would be so maliciously specific and long winded. At the time we just laughed it off as "wow Mr. Thomas really doesn't like Mike Tyson now that he's a rapist". It was like this (paraphrased)

. It was really specific and really consistent, pretty much all of his class periods were able to goad him into going on this rant.

I could totally imagine that if he got confronted by the principal, like the most tepid" maybe lay off on the Mike Tyson revenge fantasies and stick to the AP European History curriculum" he'd probably flippantly react with "Oh, so you're PRO RAPIST now?".

Sorry that your teacher was a virulent racist. Did it leak out in any other ways or was he able to keep it under wraps?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

To be fair, Mike Tyson has done some lovely things.

To be more fair, the science around repetitive head trauma has advanced significantly in recent years.

To be even more fair, "being bludgeoned to the point of unconsciousness repeatedly is bad for your brain" is not rocket science

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Panfilo posted:

There's a part on the top that got cut off without me realizing it, which says "and just like that, Liberals don't want to punch Nazis anymore". The absurdity of that statement was why I linked it here without comment.

"Pronouns/Ukrainian flag in bio" is because right wingers are stupid as poo poo so when they're losing an argument they need a way to ignore it while saving face so they pretend that saying it is an argument so they don't have to admit they're stupid

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 28, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bel Shazar posted:

Sorry that your teacher was a virulent racist. Did it leak out in any other ways or was he able to keep it under wraps?

Good question, I can't remember. The only thing that stuck out was having this long term substitute that would give his long winded Mike Tyson torture fantasy to anyone that solicited his opinion about the boxer at school.

Xand_Man posted:

To be fair, Mike Tyson has done some lovely things.

To be more fair, the science around repetitive head trauma has advanced significantly in recent years.

To be even more fair, "being bludgeoned to the point of unconsciousness repeatedly is bad for your brain" is not rocket science

Certainly. And if he was talking about it in a cynical "celebrities often get away with things like this and I find I upsetting" that wouldn't raise any red flags but he had to get so... Detailed about what should happen to the guy :stare:

Piell posted:

"Pronouns/Ukrainian flag in bio" is because right wingers are stupid as poo poo so when they're losing an argument they need a way to ignore it while saving face so they pretend that saying it is an argument so they don't have to admit they're stupid

You'd think that, but they usually open with that statement, not close with it,which is even more silly.

"Biden is a boring centrist"
"LOL pronouns in bio. Someone who believes in 57 genders wouldn't know anything about Biden. He's a commie. Also Hunter Bidens laptop :words: :words: :words:"

If there was a back and forth that culminated into "Pronouns in bio. Blocked!" then yeah, they're out of ideas. But this phrase is their OPENING Salvo, not their parting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
To be fair I've never seen a good tweet from anyone with a Ukraine flag in their name (sports in bio is also apparently an ironclad rule for someone with terrible tweets).

freeedr posted:

Why did bill gates put so much money into curing malaria if he wants the population cut in half? I mean according to the conspiracy people

I assume either denial ("He just wants you to think he did!") or it's just part of the conspiracy, I assume the two major flavors are "The malaria 'cure' has deadly side effects!" or "It was so people would trust him and think he was good until he enacted his actual plan to wipe out the population!"