Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Owari is the best after the first episode of bake so you are locked in if you watch a single second of the show unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't remember a single episode of spice and wolf being bad. I've never read the manga or novel or w.e. it's adapted from though, but it reminds me a lot of the western novel Healer's Road, which is very similar in many ways. No romance between the protagonists, though. Although they become extremely close friends in a way that's almost equally intimate.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yo Gundam nerds out of the following, which would you recommend:

Currently watching Witch, and it's great, but I need my fix.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Drop Age from your list.

IMO you can't really go wrong with 00 or Greco but they are very different and Greco is extremely polarizing.

Come to the Gundam Thread and let us bombard you with recommendations, arguments and technobabble.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 26, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Only Gundam I've watched more than a few episodes of, but I'd heartily recommend Turn A if you haven't seen it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yo Gundam nerds out of the following, which would you recommend:

Currently watching Witch, and it's great, but I need my fix.
00 imo, it has a weird s2 but i like s1 a lot. age is bad and reconguista is good but very polarizing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

whoever gave you the idea that you should consider watching age was probably playing some kind of joke on you, it's pretty universally hated

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Only Gundam I've watched more than a few episodes of, but I'd heartily recommend Turn A if you haven't seen it.

Turn A is cool and good

ninjewtsu posted:

whoever gave you the idea that you should consider watching age was probably playing some kind of joke on you, it's pretty universally hated

Nah those are just the newer series I haven't seen, so wasn't sure which to check out.

Might give 00 and Greco the 3 ep trial then and stick with whatever I like more.

Endorph posted:

00 imo, it has a weird s2 but i like s1 a lot. age is bad and reconguista is good but very polarizing.

G-Gundam is good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
reconguista relies on how much you want to see a tomino gundam anime cut down to all the most ridiculous parts. like king gainer but more of the parts about characters randomly eating poo poo and saying insane nonsequiturs

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
For gundamchat, is there a YouTube video that’s like “here’s the important fundamental poo poo to know before watching Witch”

I don’t need a play-by-play of the last 40 years, just a summary of anything worth knowing for watching Witch.

I started watching it and can gather context from what’s going on, but might be nice to know if there’s anything significant underlying the plot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PRADA SLUT posted:

For gundamchat, is there a YouTube video that’s like “here’s the important fundamental poo poo to know before watching Witch”

I don’t need a play-by-play of the last 40 years, just a summary of anything worth knowing for watching Witch.

I started watching it and can gather context from what’s going on, but might be nice to know if there’s anything significant underlying the plot.

Just be sure to watch the prequel episode that's on YouTube. That's literally all you need to see before watching Witch, and even then it's not "necessary" but would probably give you a better understanding of the story and characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGW2JRxWUU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

there's a prologue episode with some backstory if you haven't watched that already, otherwise it's a standalone series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like others have said there's really nothing you need to watch besides the prologue to understand G Witch.

Outside of the main timeline shows there's not THAT much you need to understand Gundam. The core themes are always pretty consistent. Shows deal with the social divide between youth and adults, the use of technology as an extension of the human body and soul, and the need for new forms of communication to achieve greater understanding.

As long as at least a few of those elements are in play everything else in a given gundam show is flavoring and set dressing. People love to talk up the minutiae because Gundam it's fun but it's not the core of the franchise at all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Theoretically speaking it could end up with some kind of "IT WAS UC ALL ALONG" twist, though it doesn't have the setup the series that actually did that do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the series is meant to appeal to teenage girls who think gundam is for their dads, you can watch it without a youtube video. its just a show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah you could make an argument that watching any given uc show you might want a primer if you know nothing about the series, but witch from mercury is set up as an easy entry show. Watch the prologue and you’re good.

It ain’t marvel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the girl with the giant puffball hair and the one clip of her punching the poo poo out of someone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

the series is meant to appeal to teenage girls who think gundam is for their dads, you can watch it without a youtube video. its just a show.

If that's the goal, it's not doing too well. On streaming services, women in Japan are pretty much ignoring Witch. And it's not a Lycoris Recoil thing, either, where guys like a show a lot and girls like the show okay. (Lyco Reco was in the top twenty for pretty much everyone well after it ended) It's a complete failure of market penetration, not even making the top twenty.

(Interestingly enough, Chainsaw Man, the story of a horny teenage boy's attempts to score with older women who repeatedly try to kill him, is doing great with female viewers in streaming)

However, the show is getting good ratings and streaming numbers overall, which I think is the more important thing for Bandai. Solid ratings, and it's starting to get noticed by younger audiences on streaming addition to its core 30-50 year old guy viewers. If Bandai's goal is just "keep getting new viewers", then they're in fine shape at the moment. If it's to make Gundam broadly popular with women again, then they might want to take a step back and try to evaluate why this isn't catching on at all.

Anyway, yeah. You can start with the prologue, or even just kick off with episode 1 if you wanted. There's a bit of a major tone shift at first, but the show's been connecting more to the prologue's narrative beats as it goes.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

g witch is good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like the girl with the giant puffball hair and the one clip of her punching the poo poo out of someone.

It's not even just a solid hit, that girl is OUT for the rest of the fight.

You don't mess with Chu-chu. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

If that's the goal, it's not doing too well. On streaming services, women in Japan are pretty much ignoring Witch. And it's not a Lycoris Recoil thing, either, where guys like a show a lot and girls like the show okay. (Lyco Reco was in the top twenty for pretty much everyone well after it ended) It's a complete failure of market penetration, not even making the top twenty.

(Interestingly enough, Chainsaw Man, the story of a horny teenage boy's attempts to score with older women who repeatedly try to kill him, is doing great with female viewers in streaming)

However, the show is getting good ratings and streaming numbers overall, which I think is the more important thing for Bandai. Solid ratings, and it's starting to get noticed by younger audiences on streaming addition to its core 30-50 year old guy viewers. If Bandai's goal is just "keep getting new viewers", then they're in fine shape at the moment. If it's to make Gundam broadly popular with women again, then they might want to take a step back and try to evaluate why this isn't catching on at all.

Anyway, yeah. You can start with the prologue, or even just kick off with episode 1 if you wanted. There's a bit of a major tone shift at first, but the show's been connecting more to the prologue's narrative beats as it goes.

I feel like i've seen this exact post several times before.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Perhaps even by the same person.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Supremezero posted:

Perhaps even by the same person.

lmao they're still banging that drum huh....

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What can I say?

I change what I'm saying when the facts change. So far, they haven't.

(Well, they have on younger viewers, who've started to watch Witch, and the show staying in the top ten streaming shows for the skip week is worth mentioning as a recent success.)

Either Bandai was primarily trying to appeal to girls, and they've got no idea what they're doing, or they're primarily trying for something else, and they've managed alright. I think the facts on the ground suggest the second to be the more likely and the more charitable interpretation of the data.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

What can I say?

I change what I'm saying when the facts change. So far, they haven't.

(Well, they have on younger viewers, who've started to watch Witch, and the show staying in the top ten streaming shows for the skip week is worth mentioning as a recent success.)

Either Bandai was primarily trying to appeal to girls, and they've got no idea what they're doing, or they're primarily trying for something else, and they've managed alright. I think the facts on the ground suggest the second to be the more likely and the more charitable interpretation of the data.
theyve literally said the first thing and also the metrics you are using are not ideal for seeing if teenage girls like it, even if they're a metric you can use in conjunction with others

also the fact that you're surprised that chainsaw man, the series with a cute pathetic boy who gets owned a lot but does his best to enjoy his life, as well as his various cute male buddies he argues with, is doing well with women, proves you aren't great at having this conversation anyway

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 28, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would be interested in seeing whatever data is available that would support the show doing well with a female demographic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive seen a lot of fanart of elan looking sad and hot, thats worthwhile data imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but also this entire convo is brainpoison cause idk why something being popular with or slightly aimed at women is some weird exception that is surprising and needs to be 'proven' while something being popular with men is just taken as given

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

did ibo get much fanart of its boys looking sad and hot?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ibo itself was the fanart of the boys looking sad and hot

and its demos looked like this

edit: well technically this is the people who voted it best gundam series, but still,

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

but also this entire convo is brainpoison cause idk why something being popular with or slightly aimed at women is some weird exception that is surprising and needs to be 'proven' while something being popular with men is just taken as given

i think the original origin of the topic was bandai's business goals but regardless i think it's kind of interesting to hear about what kinds of audiences respond well to particular shows, even if chiasaur keeps making it weird by constantly bringing it up only in relation to witch from mercury and only to tell someone they're wrong for some positive thing they had to say about the show

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

ibo itself was the fanart of the boys looking sad and hot

and its demos looked like this

edit: well technically this is the people who voted it best gundam series, but still,

that's cool, i know gundam historically has more resonance with female demographics than people tend to assume from the shounen giant robot franchise. i think it's worth seeing if that trend continued from ibo in gwitch, though now i'm also curious how demographics were split with previous (recent) gundam shows. was ibo an outlier or is that just how gundam is? was there actually any need for bandai to "break in" with a female demographic if ibo was showing those numbers?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its interesting to discuss demos, what audiences a show gets, etc, but in general this conversation in western fandom kind of pivots around the points i expressed frustration with. like nobody who knows anything about anime fandom would actually be surprised by csm being popular with women. pretty much any big shonen with vaguely attractive men has gotten a big female demo since, like, saint seiya.

and people tend to just find one datapoint and take it as gospel because its easier than actually engaging with a fanbase or seeking things out.

and ofc even if you find data that says women are into something you often get hit with a 'well women respond to polls more' or 'well thats a female-biased source' or w/e. convincing people women have brains capable of processing fiction is like pulling teeth sometimes lol

ninjewtsu posted:

that's cool, i know gundam historically has more resonance with female demographics than people tend to assume from the shounen giant robot franchise. i think it's worth seeing if that trend continued from ibo in gwitch, though now i'm also curious how demographics were split with previous (recent) gundam shows. was ibo an outlier or is that just how gundam is? was there actually any need for bandai to "break in" with a female demographic if ibo was showing those numbers?
ibo was nearly a decade ago and if you look it was pulling bigger numbers with 20-29 year olds. of course that poll is from a couple years after ibo aired so its possible those people were in their teens when it aired but regardless, its fair to say ibo didn't hit as with like, high schoolers, but more 20-somethings. that female fanbase is probably more the adult otaku crowd than normal high school kids. and a sizable portion of the audience is in the 30-50 range, too. there's some teens, but its not the core demo.

i think the last gundam series to really hit with teen girls was probably seed

seed was 2002-2005, this poll is from 2017-2018, so if you assume most of those 20s respondents are in their late 20s it somewhat tracks.

seed, ibo, and wing are the trio of shows that really hit with women (and 00 did alright, 35%ish percent) but like i said, the ibo and seed age rankings look similar here and seed was about 12-13 years before ibo.

sadly this nhk poll only gives statistics for the top 10 ranked shows, so no info on AGE, g-reco, or the builds, but we can get info on another recentish entry, unicorn

as you can see the female demo here is much smaller. again, this is just people who say its their favorite, so there's probably some people its not catching who like it but voted wing/seed out of nostalgia, but regardless its safe to say that the uc nostalgia baiting generally doesnt hit as much with women, and definitely not with younger women. and thats really the most mainstream thing gundam's had since IBO - there's the origins, there's doan's island, there's narrative. the builds exist, but those are pretty shonen toy commercial, and the divers didnt even air on TV (or at least rerise didnt, i forget if the original divers did), and those series, especially build fighters try, kinda paint women as 'outside' the gundam fan sphere. they arent exactly inviting to that demo.

so its reasonable that teen girls in 2021-2022 would view gundam as something for Olds. it's not so much a demo they need to reach out to for the first time, its a demo they lost by not creating content that appealed to them.

also for laughs heres stardust memory

:v:

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 28, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

of course id advise against taking this nhk poll as gospel since its a 'what gundam series is your favorite' poll, from a few years ago, and as i said it only gives demo information for the top 10, and it doesnt give hard numbers, just percentages, but its a useful tool for conclusions like 'younger women tend to like the AUs more than UC' and 'stardust memory is for old men'

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah i imagine the precision is off but it's probably as good ballpark figures as anything else. thanks for sharing the data, that's interesting and informative. i do definitely wonder how different the numbers look between "reported having liked the show" and "reported as their favorite gundam show" though. obviously the question being "favorite" skews the data in some direction, but in which direction seems hard to guess at

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's probably been 30-40 years since anyone could truly trust any kind of demographic data for media and in the modern era it's especially all useless. its a very old man kind of thing to give a poo poo about I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

demo data can give you a vague idea, its not like the numbers come out of nowhere - you can definitely track general trends - but yeah, the idea that its a hard and fast rule you can stick by feels like something from 1960s america

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could tell Wing was extremely popular with women because the Heero/Duo fanfiction was unavoidable 15 years ago on livejournal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would love to know what YouTube thinks my demographic slot is because that poo poo can be schizophrenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I could tell Wing was extremely popular with women because the Heero/Duo fanfiction was unavoidable 15 years ago on livejournal.
i liked the *making sign of the cross* 'youtuber' who dug up one of her old journals and it was 90% gundam wing fanart and the comments were just like 'so you must be like, 35, right'