Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Is there even a bad Hughes? The Caps got smoked by one last night.

According to Jack Hughes’ wiki page, apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The Devils are such fun I barely noticed they were stomping my team.

Well, that's not true, I started betting against the Caps halfway through the game and it paid.

Jersey crowd was feeling it though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

deoju posted:

I have to wonder if having CANCELLED on the ads for you tour is a smart move.

With the crowd he appeals to, definitely.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Their mom taught them all to skate and they're arguably 1/2/3 in the world at pivots and lateral movement. I do not know how she isn't the most in demand skating coach on earth.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I've watched the replay of Jack scoring off the goalie's helmet last night about 20 times.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I cannot believe Vancouver is 3 points out of the playoffs. The west is so unbelievably bad this year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Duckman2008 posted:

It's about time we had a pre-eminent Jewish sports family. No more settling for one-off stars.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

It's about time we had a pre-eminent Jewish sports family. No more settling for one-off stars.

But you have to mention Adam Fox

This is really the era of superstar Jewish NHLers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I cannot believe Vancouver is 3 points out of the playoffs. The west is so unbelievably bad this year.

Just score goals baby

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
if the Canucks make the playoffs by scoring an average of 5 goals per game with a team .888 save percentage, I'm totally ok with it, let's go full 80s baby, I don't even give a poo poo anymore

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That wailing and gnashing of teeth you hear is every Isles fan mourning for the career of Joshua Ho-Sang

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

goldrush posted:

if the Canucks make the playoffs by scoring an average of 5 goals per game with a team .888 save percentage, I'm totally ok with it, let's go full 80s baby, I don't even give a poo poo anymore

Teams emulating the Edmonton Oilers. You love to see it

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I did not forget about him, but unless he has some siblings making the top leagues he is just yet another singleton.

But yes, it did not escape me that we're in an era where Jewish NHLers are better than Jewish MLBers, which is not something I expected in my lifetime.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

goldrush posted:

with Rutherford coming to the media every other week to poo poo talk bruce the whole way

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

I did not forget about him, but unless he has some siblings making the top leagues he is just yet another singleton.

But yes, it did not escape me that we're in an era where Jewish NHLers are better than Jewish MLBers, which is not something I expected in my lifetime.

Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax...

Marking Jewish modernity as "the boxing era," "the basketball era," "the baseball era," and now "the hockey era."

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Are there others besides the Hugheses, Fox and Hyman?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

Off the top of my head there's Burakowsky and Chychrun.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pseudodragon posted:

https://www.jta.org/2022/10/07/sports/all-of-the-jewish-nhl-players-to-watch-this-season

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Capitals actually played quite well last night despite the score. They easily could have won that game. Vanecek was great.

I believe that's the second time all year the Devils have been outplayed 5v5. The other was the second game vs Calgary. Both wins amusingly enough

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 27, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't know how long the Devils can get this kind of goaltending, but Vanecek and Schmid have been awesome. Vitek is rocking a .923 and has made really big saves in most games.

This offense with Luke Hughes makes me positively moist

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also sure looks like Bastian separated his shoulder based on how it was hanging after the Oshie hit. Holtz could be coming right back in. Although honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go to Johnsson.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

Also sure looks like Bastian separated his shoulder based on how it was hanging after the Oshie hit. Holtz could be coming right back in. Although honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go to Johnsson.

I don't think they will replace Bastian with Holtz, they do completely different things and they will probably want someone in that slot who can play on the PK. The Devils just don't need a guy like Holtz on the roster right now....

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 27, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I agree, they will want to bring in a fourth line energy type guy. Although what they could do is put Zetterlund with Wood and McLeod and try Holtz out with Haula and Sharangovich.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

thehoodie posted:

God drat the flames look like rear end. No chemistry on any of the lines and the D have been abysmal with the exception of Tanev

Zadorov has been decent but most of the team has been unwatchable garbage lately... So boring

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fawning deference posted:

I agree, they will want to bring in a fourth line energy type guy. Although what they could do is put Zetterlund with Wood and McLeod and try Holtz out with Haula and Sharangovich.

Bastian was playing more than typical 4th line minutes. They are going to miss him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Zadorov has been decent but most of the team has been unwatchable garbage lately... So boring

They were never going to immediately pivot after losing two 100pt players. The return on Tkachuk was solid given the circumstances, but the immediate extensions to Huberdeau and Weegar are starting to look regrettable. They'd have been incredible trade deadline chips. Still, I understand the desire to bring in some stability. Plus it's the quarter pole, this Flames team feels like one that could still easily go on a 12 game win streak.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1596896341275611141?s=20&t=orXNQ1eEyofyn_I3XVJZyQ
i checked the standings yesterday and was surprised to see seattle in a playoff spot. im on the east coast so i dont watch many of their games.. .are they just getting unsustainable goal scoring?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Bastian was playing more than typical 4th line minutes. They are going to miss him.

Fair enough, but they have to replace him as best they can. Zetterlund seems like a guy who can play o the fourth line and the Devils can try different players on the powerplay in front of the net.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

clean ayers act posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1596896341275611141?s=20&t=orXNQ1eEyofyn_I3XVJZyQ
i checked the standings yesterday and was surprised to see seattle in a playoff spot. im on the east coast so i dont watch many of their games.. .are they just getting unsustainable goal scoring?

I wouldn't say unsustainable, west coast just sucks at the moment

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

I don't think they will replace Bastian with Holtz, they do completely different things and they will probably want someone in that slot who can play on the PK. The Devils just don't need a guy like Holtz on the roster right now....

I don't mean that they would replace Holtz with Bastian, they would most likely move someone like Zetterlund/Boqvist to the 4th and play Holtz on one of the top 3 scoring lines.

Where Holtz fits in especially would be Bastian's slot on the PP, although he's more analogous to what they do with Zetterlund when he plays there. You move Hischier to the front net spot in this case like they do when Zetterlund gets 1st PP time.

Johnsson isn't a Bastian type obviously either, but he can play up and down the lineup. Also possible that they try big Nolan Foote again as he profiles much closer to Bastian's game.

If there's one place Holtz could really help if he shows better, it's the PP, a sniper is exactly what they need there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How long an injury is a separated shoulder? 6 weeks?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

How long an injury is a separated shoulder? 6 weeks?

Could be 6 days to 6 months.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

I wouldn't say unsustainable, west coast just sucks at the moment

It’s some of both. I worry that as the season continues they’re going to start giving up more goals as Grubauer is healthy again and Jones turns into a pumpkin. Soucy-Borgen as a pairing has been mostly really solid though when they’re not taking untimely penalties.

Scoring does feel unsustainable when they play teams that do defend well, but there aren’t really a bunch of those in the Pacific division*. I’d expect them to make the playoffs, but it’s difficult for me to get excited about them still. They play so loose that it’s like watching a random shape generator in the D zone.

*Except LA and that 1-3-1 through the neutral zone. That game was really snoozy to watch for the people in my house.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 27, 2022

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

From that same stat dump that jfresh did,

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1596514468984680449?s=46&t=Nt8OoRlFUlcPw3wKGfcXSw

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1596896434519171072?s=46&t=Nt8OoRlFUlcPw3wKGfcXSw

I remember one of the season prediction fancy stat guys (possibly jfresh himself) had the islanders winning the metro and it surprising people with his justification being that they had the best goalie tandem in the league, and well, that part ain't wrong

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

clean ayers act posted:

Yes. 8th best 5v5 sv% and 2nd best 5v5 shooting %. Scoring 60% of the time when you'd 'expect' 52.5%. From the scoring chance perspective they are definitely converting beyond far and beyond what I would consider sustainable.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

clean ayers act posted:

i dunno if it's sustainable but they are dangerous literally all the time and so much fun to watch. schwartz has really helped their transition game and donato, sprong and geekie is the most exciting 4th line in the league

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
What's up with Carolina on that chart? Unluckiest team in the universe or there is something fundamentally bad about their shooting?

Seems like even if Seattle comes back to earth a bit on the scoring percentage they will still be "pretty good" even if not really contenders, which would still be wildly above my expectations after last year?
The danger to me is still that Grubauer starts getting all the starts again because they're paying him too much not to start. Then the defense collapses and the team looks a lot like last year. Which is a dumb reason to start him but it wouldn't shock me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Misanthrope posted:

Zadorov is also not good. He seems good at times, but then makes sure to remind us how terrible he is by taking a dumb penalty or just not giving a poo poo on a play.

He hits big, which is exciting I guess.

I know losing that top line would hurt but I didn’t think it would be this bad, it seems like they’ve just given up. Also Sutter sucks rear end. Should have pulled Goalie on the 4 on 4 and also is playing Ruzicka on the top line, which if you’re doing that. Yeah, team has problems and coaching is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yes. 8th best 5v5 sv% and 2nd best 5v5 shooting %. Scoring 60% of the time when you'd 'expect' 52.5%. From the scoring chance perspective they are definitely converting beyond far and beyond what I would consider sustainable.

They don't give up poo poo though so even when their scoring drops they'll be fine