Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

started violet playthrough so i can get various version exclusives

help what do i name my weedcat

Nyarley Quinn. Or maybe Jespurr.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am greatly enjoying seeong people Flare Blitz a raid boss and jist one-shot themselves with recoil. Extremely lol.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I never got the appeal of moves with recoil to them honestly, unless you’re sure you can end the fight with said move it seems like you’re just needlessly handicapping yourself/potentially screwing yourself over

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s probably some overwrought meta gaming reason to use recoil moves that the people who take games made solely to sell toys and hook further generations of grade schoolers into a trillion dollar multimedia franchise every few years way too seriously could expand on but yeah they all suck.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Larryb posted:

I never got the appeal of moves with recoil to them honestly, unless you’re sure you can end the fight with said move it seems like you’re just needlessly handicapping yourself/potentially screwing yourself over

The only point of HP that matters is the last one, live fast and die young :c00l:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s probably some overwrought meta gaming reason to use recoil moves that the people who take games made solely to sell toys and hook further generations of grade schoolers into a trillion dollar multimedia franchise every few years way too seriously could expand on but yeah they all suck.

They do lots of damage

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Countblanc posted:

They do lots of damage

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Maybe there's some dark secret behind the move with 120 base power being good. Who can say.

(Postgame) I got the gym rechallenges and built a second team because they were no fun with my main overdeveloped squad.
There is some fun stuff you can do with mons that I passed over the first time around. Fast Revavroom fishing for Iron Head flinches and a dreadfully slow Rabsca with speed swap are the standouts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ooh an Iron Hands in surprise trade, that's neat.

Man gently caress trying to find a real sinistea. Stupid fake cups.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Countblanc posted:

They do lots of damage

To both you and the enemy (and sometimes more of the former than the latter)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

looking at all the black cards in magic that require you to pay life: uh.... is this a misprint. if i lose life i lose the game

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

To both you and the enemy (and sometimes more of the former than the latter)

It’s only because of how the raid bosses health works, in regular battle the recoil is manageable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RatHat posted:

It’s only because of how the raid bosses health works, in regular battle the recoil is manageable.

Makes sense (this is also an issue in the mobile game Pokémon Masters where doing Flare Blitz is usually a death sentence)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Speaking of raiding. New setup: bring an Umbreon, screech + helping hands any iron hands/azumarill in your team. You, too, can play a support role in your pokemon game!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Because of the way access to the boxes works, you can swap team members between members of the Elite Four.

My favorite Pokémon is Avalugg. I love that big dumb icy boi. However, he was part of my team in Shield and I wanted to use new guys so I caught my level 54 Bergmite and sent him to the box.

I see the next E4 member is the art teacher and realize that Professor Gible means he will probably use Dragon, which my team has no good coverage for. So I pull out Bergmite, evolve him with a rare candy, and win the fight.

I got to have my very own Ash-chooses-Kingler moment except imagine Kingler was Ash’s favorite Pokémon.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Because of the way access to the boxes works, you can swap team members between members of the Elite Four.

That's... kinda weird. Seems like that'd make it way too simple.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Framboise posted:

You can tinker with their movesets too thanks to the integrated move relearner!

Which I guess you could always sort of do with TMs but still.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Framboise posted:

Just don’t use the boxes if you feel like that’s too easy for you.

People always seem to forget these games are primarily for young children and are competing with a bunch of other frictionless poo poo for their attention and the resulting pester-power they can generate.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pokemon fans are not strangers to self-imposed challenges.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

People always seem to forget these games are primarily for young children and are competing with a bunch of other frictionless poo poo for their attention and the resulting pester-power they can generate.

I played red and blue as a young child and was fine. :V

Seriously though, I'm not complaining about it, it just seemed like an unusual choice since you never could before.

I've already chosen my Elite Four team anyway! I decided to use all new Pokemon instead of my favorites. I'll be running Tinkaton, Armarouge, Annihilape, Meowscarada, Maushold, and Glimmora. Seems like solid type coverage.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 27, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also got around to beating Mela and her walk animation and congratulations picture is hilarious.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Framboise posted:

I played red and blue as a young child and was fine. :V

Seriously though, I'm not complaining about it, it just seemed like an unusual choice since you never could before.

Same, but we didn’t have Roblox and Minecraft and Fortnite and infinity hours of YouTube also vying for our attention.

Kids aren’t any dumber, they just have way more options to amuse themselves with now than we ever could have imagined.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I had my first taste of the raidcatTM and I don't think I can go back

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This is an astoundingly bizarre post

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The E4 and Champion really aren't that big of a deal, comparatively. Remember that the whole Victory Road storyline is only one of the three. And once it's done you have an entire actual-rear end endgame to go.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It was fun to have my lower level B team take on most of the four and then tagging in my A team guys for the back half. Not letting me access the box would have just meant rolling the whole thing with the A team, so imo it's a good thing you can.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Larry is the best gym leader ever. I feel represented.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Has anyone tried the Dondozo + Tatsugiri combo yet? It looks interesting but I'm not sure if it's worth spending two party slots on water types.

I got a Shiny Dondozo, which looks like a catfish slathered in mayonustardaise. Trying to figure out if I want to make him a sushi combo or what.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nasa weather voice or whatever: a class 3 Genuine Freak is developing and will be gathering strength as it posts downthread

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There are some moves and abilities that get better if you're damaged, even.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

oddium posted:

nasa weather voice or whatever: a class 3 Genuine Freak is developing and will be gathering strength as it posts downthread

Nah it’s just silly when people wonder why the game for children is trivially easy for them, a grown adult.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Ooh an Iron Hands in surprise trade, that's neat.

Man gently caress trying to find a real sinistea. Stupid fake cups.

I somehow got lucky and the first cup I caught was antique form.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/theboy181/status/1596759874654048263?s=20&t=mZGE40UNkrBZN5fpJtRuxQ

man there's a real good game buried in here, isn't there

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

lol

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Huh. I figured you could swap your moves around between rounds but just swapping out your team feels like an oversight compared to the usual E4 gauntlets.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

man there's a real good game buried in here, isn't there

Buried under piss-poor optimization, yeah

I wonder if the DLC will continue to add stability or if it'll be poorly-optimized basegame with better-performing DLC areas

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Beat the 8 gyms, all the Titans, and all but the fighting star base which just wrecked my poo poo. This is by far my favorite Pokemon game since I played red/blue when I was 9

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s a great game that was released 6 months sooner than it should’ve been

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I really hope the takeaway from this is that the hyperaggressive release pace can slow down and not that better things aren't possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Bee posted:

I really hope the takeaway from this is that the hyperaggressive release pace can slow down and not that better things aren't possible.

lmao no. this outsold GOW:Ragnarok by double and that was the ps5's best seller. They're very aware they can just release whatever and people will buy it based on brand recognition alone