Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spanish Manlove posted:

lmao no. this outsold GOW:Ragnarok by double and that was the ps5's best seller. They're very aware they can just release whatever and people will buy it based on brand recognition alone

That's not that impressive, you still can't loving buy that console in some places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I really wish the cycle was every 4 years instead of every 3, but I doubt they'll ever be allowed to have that time. There's a lot of other things such as the anime, the TCG, the side-games, and most importantly, the merch riding on that regular reliable cycle.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's not that impressive, you still can't loving buy that console in some places.

well then measure it against something else, mr. pedantic. either way the game sold extremely well

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

I watched this and another vid with more battling and the battles are SO much faster. I start getting tired of battles after playing for a while because there's like a 2 second delay on every action.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So since we have a couple more hours of the Eevee event, what are good Tera types for the Eeveelutions? Here’s what I’m thinking

Jolteon - Ice, STAB BoltBeam
Flareon - Normal, can be burned with Flame Orb and use Guts-boosted STAB Facade
Vaporeon - Dragon? Idk on this one, but Dragon resists both of Water’s weaknesses
Espeon - Fairy resists 2/3 of Psychic’s weaknesses so thinking that, anything to keep Espeon in and annoying with Magic Bounce
Umbreon - Poison has good defensive synergy with Dark, plus it goes with Umbreon’s beta type
Leafeon - Fire, for Sun synergy
Glaceon - Water for perfect STAB neutral coverage with Freeze Dry
Sylveon - Fairy seems to be the best? Double STAB with Pixilate Hyper Voice sounds really obnoxious

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

So since we have a couple more hours of the Eevee event, what are good Tera types for the Eeveelutions? Here’s what I’m thinking

Jolteon - Ice, STAB BoltBeam
Flareon - Normal, can be burned with Flame Orb and use Guts-boosted STAB Facade
Vaporeon - Dragon? Idk on this one, but Dragon resists both of Water’s weaknesses
Espeon - Fairy resists 2/3 of Psychic’s weaknesses so thinking that, anything to keep Espeon in and annoying with Magic Bounce
Umbreon - Poison has good defensive synergy with Dark, plus it goes with Umbreon’s beta type
Leafeon - Fire, for Sun synergy
Glaceon - Water for perfect STAB neutral coverage with Freeze Dry
Sylveon - Fairy seems to be the best? Double STAB with Pixilate Hyper Voice sounds really obnoxious

Ground or fighting on sylveon seems like it'd be nice to deal with steel and/or poison types

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Hunting for shinies is very fun and rewarding in S/V, caught Magnemite, Marill, Magikarp, Vaporeon and Dratini today!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's fire sylveon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

What happens to regular eevees when they evolve, anyway? Does their tera type change too?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cattail Prophet posted:

What happens to regular eevees when they evolve, anyway? Does their tera type change too?

Even if a mon changes type when it evolves, it keeps its original Tera type. That’s why they have those overworld Tera encounters with the Eeveelutions with their STAB; they’re otherwise stuck with Normal.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ROFL Octopus posted:

So since we have a couple more hours of the Eevee event, what are good Tera types for the Eeveelutions?

drat am I missing Content already? I only have 10 badges so far

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Recently completed all of the post game content, up to a point where I can reliably do 6-star raids. This is the longest I've stuck with a Pokemon game - made two complete teams, and completed the regional dex.

The standard game was completed with this team:

Then my post-game and Ace team, where I realized the importance of matching Pokeballs:

After getting my shiny charm, I used the picnic trick to locate Yuzu (the Shiny Azumarill pictured above). I got super lucky and he even came with 'the Sodden' title!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hammerite posted:

drat am I missing Content already? I only have 10 badges so far

Yeah get into the Tera Raid battles. You don't need to wait - you can grab one-star eevees with differing tera types from like, level 12.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Because of the way access to the boxes works, you can swap team members between members of the Elite Four.

I wonder what the ratio is on that decision. Like, how many parts "We made this doable because it's a kid's game and we want it to be more accessible for them" vs how many parts as a nod to the anime where he's constantly swapping his teams in and out for his tournament matches.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its probably just that they made the boxes accessible everywhere and then didn't feel like it was that important to put the time in to restricting it for E4

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
The Elite Four and “Champion” fights are also just given significantly less weight this time around, imo.

The real major endgame fights are the path capstones battles with Penny, Arven, Nemona, and to a lesser extent Clavell. And then of course the battle with the AI Professor at the end.

With that in mind, it seems pretty obvious why they just don’t care as much. Heck, they even refresh your Tera Orb in between battles, which they rarely do anywhere else.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
extremely evil and hosed up that beast balls, which you could buy an infinite amount of for cheap in gen 7, are locked behind completing the entire pokedex in this game. have they ever considered that ceruledge would look amazing in them.

does gamefreak realize that arbitrarily locking something like that to one-per-save is why people go out of their way to find duplication glitches?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Is it just me or are online tera raid battles incredibly broken?

More than half of them I can't join, then when I can it's laggy as all get out and I can regularly get passed over for extended periods when I can watch everyone else attack and defend and I get attacked several times in a row without my interface coming up?

Or my interface freezing and I can't do anything? Or it taking my interface away when I'm in the middle of choosing something? ...Among many other problems.

It just feels really unfinished. And it's fundamentally turn based, this isn't a high bar programming or network wise.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

They're definitely buggy, or laggy, or whatever. I was duoing my 6* corviknight raid and it just froze me in the cheer menu in the first turn for legitimately like 30 seconds before it let me do anything, by which time my friend had done like 3 turns already.

Matching online almost always means waiting like 40 seconds to be told I can't join, even though on very rare occasions it has put me in almost instantly. Which is dumb because doing a random online raid is indeed an insta-queue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The raids seem to function ok when doing it offline with CPU players at least

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Larryb posted:

The raids seem to function ok when doing it offline with CPU players at least

Is there any way to know what star level the raids are while looking at the map, without running all over manually to look at them?

Also just had a raid won by the skin of my teeth in 5 stars for me to use a luxury ball to capture it and it never gave me the pokemon, it's nowhere.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also got around to beating Mela and her walk animation and congratulations picture is hilarious.

Those boots are for looking fabulous as poo poo in, not walking!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Tera raids are buggy as gently caress. Every time I use Play Rough with Azumarill it reduces the HP bar about 20-30% further than it should, up to and including bottoming it out to zero before snapping it back a few second latet, even in solo play.

I had a couple thing morning showing effectiveness for the Pokémon’s base type instead of the Tera type from the beginning - you’ll see this when the raid is “over” but the turn order hasn’t finished yet, but that was a new one.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've only had the issue where the board will immediately give me a "You can no longer join" message even if I click a posting as soon as it shows up. But if I try it again, it will let me play. The matches themselves run just fine for me though. I've done tons of them, and never had any problems past getting one to let me join. I don't know if the model of Switch matters at all, but I'm basing this all on an OLED in handheld mode.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I'm thinking about finally learning more about competitive this gen, especially since people are saying it's easier to do with items and such. I'm confused about how IVs and natures affect stat growth. If you changed all of those on a level 100 Pokemon, would it be as good as a Pokemon that had perfect IVs and a good nature from the start?

Also, is there a good thorough guide for getting into this that you guys recommend? I've been doing some reading on Smogon but all of the intro articles on there are from the Black and White days (not sure if it's different enough now to matter.) I also need a guide to what items to use to fix stats, if possible.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I'm thinking about finally learning more about competitive this gen, especially since people are saying it's easier to do with items and such. I'm confused about how IVs and natures affect stat growth. If you changed all of those on a level 100 Pokemon, would it be as good as a Pokemon that had perfect IVs and a good nature from the start?

Also, is there a good thorough guide for getting into this that you guys recommend? I've been doing some reading on Smogon but all of the intro articles on there are from the Black and White days (not sure if it's different enough now to matter.) I also need a guide to what items to use to fix stats, if possible.

Yeah ev and ivs can be changed at 100. I'll find you some intro to vgc guides and post them momentarily.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Basically this https://vgcguide.com/

Then go to Victory road or someone's YouTube( like Cybertron) and use one of their rental teams to figure out how to play play a team.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Basically this https://vgcguide.com/

Then go to Victory road or someone's YouTube( like Cybertron) and use one of their rental teams to figure out how to play play a team.

Awesome, thank you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 28, 2022

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason to do the tera raids online vs single player?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

big black turnout posted:

Is there any reason to do the tera raids online vs single player?

The npc trainers are not very good and largely useless in higher tier raids

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The npc trainers are not very good and largely useless in higher tier raids

Ah okay I've only done like 1 and 2 star and they were fine there

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

big black turnout posted:

Ah okay I've only done like 1 and 2 star and they were fine there

They're fine up to 4 star and you can power through 5 Star on your own if you level enough. 6 Star is a huge pain, you need other people or to relentlessly optimize for it.

That said its leagues better than SwSh where 6 star offline was effectively impossible because 4 KOs ended your run and the NPC trainers Kos counted. And they brought poo poo like Magikarp

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 28, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The upside to doing raids solo is the AI allies fainting doesn’t hurt the timer, just your own faints, so it’s pretty much live or die on your own ability to hurt the big fucker and not die. Online raids are plagued with people bringing box legendaries to fairy teratypes and then everybody’s surprised when the whole thing collapses 33% through the hp bar.

I’ve been able to solo most of my 6* on the back of belly drum, swords dance and nasty plot and resistant typing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah ev and ivs can be changed at 100. I'll find you some intro to vgc guides and post them momentarily.

Note, you can now do hyper training at 50, not 100.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
That Magikarp knew Hydro Pump, easily putting it in the upper third of npc pokemon. That's just how bad they were.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Vegastar posted:

I’ve been able to solo most of my 6* on the back of belly drum, swords dance and nasty plot and resistant typing.

Well that just sounds like a horrible moveset. :rolleyes:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

With cheap items to max IVs and change nature, ability, EVs and terra type, the only actual hard parts of building a competitive pokemon are hidden abilities and getting 0 attack IVs if you're a grognard.

And, "stat growth" is how the game talks about EVs. Your stats are just a function of your nature, EVs, IVs, and level. Doesn't matter what route you take to get there.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can you fail at catching pokemon of ruin or is it like terra battles with guaranteed catch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can you fail at catching pokemon of ruin or is it like terra battles with guaranteed catch?

you can definitely fail and you can also totally one shot them