Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1596896341275611141?s=20&t=orXNQ1eEyofyn_I3XVJZyQ
i checked the standings yesterday and was surprised to see seattle in a playoff spot. im on the east coast so i dont watch many of their games.. .are they just getting unsustainable goal scoring?

No, you see Bo Horvat is totally gonna score 65 goals this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I will say they are so much more fun to watch than last year. I think Schulz has brought a lot to the team too since Larsson and Dunn stay at home so much. Jones had also been playing way better than anyone could have expected. I really have no idea what they’ll do when Drieger gets better. We lost Helberg again too, and who knows about D’accord.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DancingMachine posted:

What's up with Carolina on that chart? Unluckiest team in the universe or there is something fundamentally bad about their shooting?

Worst shooting % in the league and bottom 10 goaltending will do that to you. Also Brett Burns is the definition of 'volume' shooter. Having 5 players with 10 games or more all with 0% shooting isn't ideal either. A quick scroll and I wonder if Burns is taking shots away from better shooters as well, but don't feel like checking the numbers to confirm/deny.

T-Bone posted:

They don't give up poo poo though so even when their scoring drops they'll be fine

They're overperforming in both prevention and scoring. Hugely more so in scoring. That said they will likely be fine because the West is a gigantic garbage patch and they already have a 5 point cushion with about 1/4th of the season played. This now reminds me I started writing a dumb stupid thing about where teams were vs expectation with about 25% of the season played and uh only did up to Chicago? I'll have to remember to get back to boring everyone with that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Worst shooting % in the league and bottom 10 goaltending will do that to you. Also Brett Burns is the definition of 'volume' shooter. Having 5 players with 10 games or more all with 0% shooting isn't ideal either. A quick scroll and I wonder if Burns is taking shots away from better shooters as well, but don't feel like checking the numbers to confirm/deny.

He definitely is and it's a big reason why he's always been overrated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carolina is playing in the CHL and shoots everything.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
5 points in 21 games, does the advanced stats community still have a hard-on for Puljujarvi or is it time to admit he’s a bust

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

The Dirty Burger posted:

5 points in 21 games, does the advanced stats community still have a hard-on for Puljujarvi or is it time to admit he’s a bust

My advanced stats say that any player I drop in fantasy usually goes to a 100+ pt pace immediately afterwards, and Puljujarvi did not follow that trend so he is now officially A Bust

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Worst shooting % in the league and bottom 10 goaltending will do that to you. Also Brett Burns is the definition of 'volume' shooter. Having 5 players with 10 games or more all with 0% shooting isn't ideal either. A quick scroll and I wonder if Burns is taking shots away
[Quote]They're overperforming in both prevention and scoring. Hugely more so in scoring. That said they will likely be fine because the West is a gigantic garbage patch and they already have a 5 point cushion with about 1/4th of the season played. This now reminds me I started writing a dumb stupid thing about where teams were vs expectation with about 25% of the season played and uh only did up to Chicago? I'll have to remember to get back to boring everyone with that.

They're overperforming preseason expectations yeah but we're past Thanksgiving now. They're actually underperforming their expected GA slightly. Seattle is one of the best defensive teams in the league.

e: But back to the Superior Eastern Conference. Detroit and the Islanders are frauds but are Pittsburgh/Carolina/Florida good enough to take advantage of it? You'd think so but probably one of them will miss at this rate.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 28, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

The Dirty Burger posted:

I would be overjoyed to trade 1 for 1 with Kasper. Even retaining the difference in salary.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/racheldoerrie/status/1597013343700627457?s=46&t=xMnIb14Q-nst6Pn4xfBDEg

Rachel Doerrie was hired to be an analyst in Vancouver and was eventually promoted to an assistant video coach. Then she accused Vancouver assistant GM Emilie Castonguay of getting her fired and subsequently destroying her career/life.

It’s quite involved. Still reading through it myself.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 28, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Islanders looked SO BAD against the Devils and they are so old and slow it's pretty amazing that they are winning so much but I guess their goalie is awesome and they are scoring just enough? Seems unsustainable to me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

The Islanders looked SO BAD against the Devils and they are so old and slow it's pretty amazing that they are winning so much but I guess their goalie is awesome and they are scoring just enough? Seems unsustainable to me.

Yeah they're a bottom 10 team in the league outside of goaltending but man what goaltending. They're a more extreme version of the Rangers last year yet also old, so you'd think it won't hold up but it is Thanksgiving.

I'd probably bet on Detroit being the one to fall out if I had to just pick one though. It's hard to see two of Florida/Carolina/Pittsburgh/The Rangers missing, but maybe one of them does???

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/racheldoerrie/status/1597013343700627457?s=46&t=xMnIb14Q-nst6Pn4xfBDEg

Rachel Doerrie was hired to be an analyst in Vancouver and was eventually promoted to an assistant video coach. Then she accused Vancouver assistant GM Emilie Castonguay of getting her fired and subsequently destroying her career/life.

Feels like we're missing a lot of the story here. But it does illustrate an important point about work: HR is not your friend.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i really strongly get the impression that in the vancouver canucks organization, absolutely nobody is your friend

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Culture comes from the top and the Canucks GM has been publicly throwing their coach under the bus from game 1 this season, it’s not surprising to hear there’s more issues there behind the scenes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Culture comes from the top and the Canucks GM has been publicly throwing their coach under the bus from game 1 this season, it’s not surprising to hear there’s more issues there behind the scenes

it goes much higher than that. francesco aquilini is a very bad man

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Feels like we're missing a lot of the story here. But it does illustrate an important point about work: HR is not your friend.

I don’t know how much more story there could be? Employee asked for constructive feedback about performance not being up to standard, received none, and was fired for nothing but also something that everyone else does constantly.

Maybe there’s more, but the same structure that has been dragging trash through the media all year isn’t the side I’m likely to believe either way.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

Not surprisingly the post is gone now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Not surprisingly the post is gone now.

https://twitter.com/racheldoerrie/status/1597033704295391232?s=46&t=P16aDcpAGCXB7NTHXrsIug

New link here

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

We talked about that in the Corporate thread recently and someone pointed out that HR is the corporate world's version of police. The analogy is pretty near exact, beyond the obvious difference between the power to end your career and the power to end your life. There are a very few times in your life that you should talk to HR. Very few. Otherwise, HR is not there to help you, do not talk to them.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

What a trash organisation.

And yeah, Union > HR. Perfect example of why everyone should be in a union. Doesn’t matter if your picking berries for a billionaire or are a high profile hire who appeared in a press release, there’s always someone in a corporate structure looking to screw you.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Oh.

That's incredibly disappointing.

I thought there might be at least one part of this franchise that wasn't a dumpster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The question now is when the skeletons for all the other teams come out. This stuff is happening so regularly now there's no way every team's leadership isn't guilty.

(and I don't mean to draw attention away from this person, just that every year I get more disgusted with the NHL)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If her side of things is true, she got fired for sending a nothing text to a reporter? I'm sure comments are supposed to be funnelled through communications, but if texting a reporter in the sports world was a fireable offence no one would have a job.

Regardless, "OMG. So Kind. Wanna include those quotes when you tweet or write about it hahah. Make me look like I’m not an idiot" is the most nothing statement ever.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
After reading the report it’s sad that the bully in the story is another woman in the organization, Emilie Castonguay

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's one side of a lawsuit, so take it with a grain of salt. Still, it's more needless drama for an organization that seems wholly incapable of avoiding it.

https://twitter.com/QuadreIli/status/1597040284227244032?s=20&t=1LhUawHSBNyipO-A5F9H0A

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

GM JR was fired from the Pens org because he was complicit in trying to cover up sexual assault. So yeah. Not ideal.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

castonguay also made some really weird comments in response to the team canada sexual assault cover ups in the vein of "we dont have all the facts. its very important to not paint everyone with a bad brush and say hockey has a bad culture. i hope it gets better but try not to put people in a box"

e: the point of posting this - the whole org has something off in the water

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

He's a very good player at getting the puck going in the right direction and chasing down the puck/forechecking/separating guys from the puck etc so his fancy stats are always pretty good. He also has the worst shot in the NHL and probably just doesn't shoot enough either. He's got all the skills outside of shooting that SHOULD make him a very good player, but he was never a good shooter even when young and has just never figured that out for whatever reason which really limits him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jhet posted:

I don’t know how much more story there could be? Employee asked for constructive feedback about performance not being up to standard, received none, and was fired for nothing but also something that everyone else does constantly.

Maybe there’s more, but the same structure that has been dragging trash through the media all year isn’t the side I’m likely to believe either way.

I just mean that, while I agree that the Canucks are in the wrong here, that narrative kind of paints them as being malicious towards this person for...? No reason, as far as I can tell, and I'm sure it's not that cut and dry. I guess they really could be that toxic of an organization though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I just mean that, while I agree that the Canucks are in the wrong here, that narrative kind of paints them as being malicious towards this person for...? No reason, as far as I can tell, and I'm sure it's not that cut and dry. I guess they really could be that toxic of an organization though.

The argument is that she was malicious because she thought Dorrie's disabilities limited her and made her a lovely coach.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The argument is that she was malicious because she thought Dorrie's disabilities limited her and made her a lovely coach.

At the same time her abilities were being praised by the rest of the coaching staff in public. Bruce isn’t going to say she’s doing a good job and just wouldn’t have probably talked about it at all if she wasn’t. There’s so much evidence of the GMs office being crappy that the most likely thing here is they were being crappy again.

The article in question is legit the one where her abilities are being praised. It’s just so stupid and someone else needs to snap her up. Such a strong history of analytics for it to go to waste.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'd love to have her on the analytics team in Dallas but regrettably she's not the offspring of one of the executives in the franchise so it's not a match

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

GM JR was fired from the Pens org because he was complicit in trying to cover up sexual assault. So yeah. Not ideal.

He was fired from the Pens because he wanted to trade Kris Letang and ownership wouldn't let him and he embarked on a long form hissy fit.

I mean he did do everything he could to cover up the rape, but color me skeptical that actually had anything to do with why they severed

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

much as her complaint states, she’s never getting another job in the NHL again. Which front office run entirely by old dinosaurs in the old boys network would hire her now that she’s fighting back?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

much as her complaint states, she’s never getting another job in the NHL again. Which front office run entirely by old dinosaurs in the old boys network would hire her now that she’s fighting back?

This unfortunately.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

Seattle should do it right after they settle as a giant middle finger to our friendly neighbors to the north.

But we’re run by Ron Francis so this won’t happen.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

He was fired from the Pens because he wanted to trade Kris Letang and ownership wouldn't let him and he embarked on a long form hissy fit.

I mean he did do everything he could to cover up the rape, but color me skeptical that actually had anything to do with why they severed

The Letang trade is the publized reason. The sudden completely out of blue firing with the 'oh by the way there was this whole unsavory business in WBS involving Bill Guerin don't worry about it. Oh yeah there's settlement. It's fine happens all the time. Nothing untoward here.'

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Vancouver Canucks are tied with the Calgary Flames and one point behind the Edmonton Oilers. They are one point out of a playoff spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers just put McLeod and Yamamoto (who's been out like 3 weeks) on IR. And Foegele missed the last 10ish minutes of the third so uhhh godspeed James Hamblin, it's your time to shine