Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
I really love the pictures the game gives you after you earn a badge. It adds to characterization and also makes your character feel a little more alive and part of the world. I've screenshotted every single one so far.

Dr. Stab posted:

With cheap items to max IVs and change nature, ability, EVs and terra type, the only actual hard parts of building a competitive pokemon are hidden abilities and getting 0 attack IVs if you're a grognard.

And, "stat growth" is how the game talks about EVs. Your stats are just a function of your nature, EVs, IVs, and level. Doesn't matter what route you take to get there.

Ohh, okay. That language caused me to have the perception that either IVs or previously accumulated EVs would determine how much they gain each level thereafter. Good to know.

Edit: So there are berries that lower EVs so that you can use vitamins, correct? Can you tell how many berries you need to use by looking at the Pokemon's summary, or do you need to talk to someone who checks that info, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Pressing L on the summary screen changes the graph view to show EV's, though it's a bit hard to tell 0 apart from 'low'. When you use an EV reducing berry, it will tell you when that stat can't go any lower, so just go one at a time when the EVs are low.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The npc trainers are not very good and largely useless in higher tier raids

Actually when the npc trainers die it doesn't drain your time and I find it easier to solo 6star raids than rely on random people online. (unless you have a group who know what to do, chaining raids etc)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I really love the pictures the game gives you after you earn a badge. It adds to characterization and also makes your character feel a little more alive and part of the world. I've screenshotted every single one so far.

Ohh, okay. That language caused me to have the perception that either IVs or previously accumulated EVs would determine how much they gain each level thereafter. Good to know.

Edit: So there are berries that lower EVs so that you can use vitamins, correct? Can you tell how many berries you need to use by looking at the Pokemon's summary, or do you need to talk to someone who checks that info, or what?

When you use the berries it'll say 'their xxx Stat can't go any lower!'

Also you can check the ev graphs by going to their stats in your party and hitting.. L?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bringing a magikarp into a mp raid honestly sounds hilarious, I'mma try doing that

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Whats the purpose behind zeroing an iv? Total newbie to neckbeardy pokemon stuff here but im also thinking about getting into the comp side of it

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Whats the purpose behind zeroing an iv? Total newbie to neckbeardy pokemon stuff here but im also thinking about getting into the comp side of it

For attack, it reduces the damage you take from confusion. For speed, it allows for trick room shenanigans.
There is no point ever reducing SpAttack, Defense, SpDefense, or HP IVs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

you want to zero out Attack on any mon that isn't using a physical attack because it reduces the damage of enemy Foul Plays (Dark-type attack that deals damage based off the target's attack stat) and also self-damage from Confusion.

in specific instances there's reasons to zero out Speed stats due to Trick Room (move that makes the slower pokemon act first for the next 4 turns).

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Two use cases are-
Slightly less self-damage from Confusion when you put a 0 into attack.
Going even slower to be faster for Trick Room setups when you put a 0 into speed.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Cheers! Im not sure if ill be gettimg that deep into strats that require it but its good info to know

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah i only recommend bothering if you're playing on Showdown since it's just a matter of turning a slider to 0. until you're actually like, making a team you intend on using a bunch in high level play it's not worth it on cart probably.

Heliotropical
Jul 19, 2022
Is there a good way to grind to 100 in this game? I've finished the postgame but my team of mid-70s seems to be a bit too weak to take on 5 star raids currently. I know there's wild chanseys in the last area, is that the best way to grind for levels?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heliotropical posted:

Is there a good way to grind to 100 in this game? I've finished the postgame but my team of mid-70s seems to be a bit too weak to take on 5 star raids currently. I know there's wild chanseys in the last area, is that the best way to grind for levels?

Eat a Ham Sandwich (Ham, Pickles, Mayonnaise, Mustard) and start beating up Chanseys. The area outside of the Team Star Fairy base is pretty good for this (unless anyone knows a place that spawns higher leveled ones). Also equip the Lucky Egg you got from the 6th gym to the Pokemon you’re currently working on to speed up the process a bit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
These robot Pokemon suck.
How are the past Pokemon?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

incredible

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Normal encounter sandwich -> bumping off chanseys is fine but doing what raids you can and using the candies is probably comparable, as well as stocking you up on $ and shards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pray for my aunt posted:

Normal encounter sandwich -> bumping off chanseys is fine but doing what raids you can and using the candies is probably comparable, as well as stocking you up on $ and shards.

True, but the raids don’t respawn as quickly as the SwSh ones did (or give out quite as many candies as a reward) so the Ham & Eggs strategy as I’ve taken to calling it is still faster overall

Also direct combat gives out more EXP than just using Let’s Go does

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 28, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You can always set your switch time forward one day to get a new set of raids.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can you fail at catching pokemon of ruin or is it like terra battles with guaranteed catch?

If you KO them they just go back into the shrine, it’s quite nice

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

OPAONI posted:

For attack, it reduces the damage you take from confusion. For speed, it allows for trick room shenanigans.
There is no point ever reducing SpAttack, Defense, SpDefense, or HP IVs.

It’s not relevant to SV yet, but I thought a cool exception to this was using a +Attack -Defense nature and 17 or lower Defense IVs to bring Stakataka’s Attack higher than its Defense for Beast Boost purposes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Kingambit is a pain in the rear end to evolve. I didn't realize my Bisharp needed the Leader's Crest at first, then I struggled with the new Thief and Trick mechanic that just dumps poo poo in your bag. However, I did learn you can Trick a Crest onto a non-grouped up Bisharp (with a different Pokemon) and knock it out. You even get to keep the crest. I think you can just mug two of them and then just beat up random ones, basically.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Echophonic posted:

Kingambit is a pain in the rear end to evolve. I didn't realize my Bisharp needed the Leader's Crest at first, then I struggled with the new Thief and Trick mechanic that just dumps poo poo in your bag. However, I did learn you can Trick a Crest onto a non-grouped up Bisharp (with a different Pokemon) and knock it out. You even get to keep the crest. I think you can just mug two of them and then just beat up random ones, basically.

Wait, what?
I just used brick break 3 times best the fury falls

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

These robot Pokemon suck.
How are the past Pokemon?

They loving rule.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Your Bisharp doesn't need the crest, just to kill 3 other bisharps that have one (and those are the ones surrounded by pawniards). source: me, having never put a crest on my bisharp and evolving it anyway

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do picks do anything for sandwiches or can I just buy 100 of the cheapest and be done with it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Bogart posted:

Do picks do anything for sandwiches or can I just buy 100 of the cheapest and be done with it.

they make your sandwich look pretty, that's it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

they make your sandwich look pretty, that's it

And for some reason you can’t make one without them

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Clocks posted:

Your Bisharp doesn't need the crest, just to kill 3 other bisharps that have one (and those are the ones surrounded by pawniards). source: me, having never put a crest on my bisharp and evolving it anyway

Can confirm this. Didn't even know what the crest was until I saw these posts.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so, fun fact: if you have a friend with a couple of herba mystica, you can make a sparkling power 3 sandwich in the union circle... then if they close their game, the herbs aren't spent for them, but you still get the 30 minute buff!

so I promptly abused that to get a funney magnet friend

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Echophonic posted:

then I struggled with the new Thief and Trick mechanic that just dumps poo poo in your bag.

On that note, Pickup now fuckin' rules

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013
Hey, so just in case you want to do the Battle Stadium, apparently there's currently an issue where the same RNG seed is being used for every battle. https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1596768465095983104
Otherwise, this shouldn't affect any other aspect of the game.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TIL you have to actually hit the overworld tera encounters with a move past the HP threshold to deterastilize them, if you sit there racking up passive damage they just faint instead.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Thankfully overworld tera encounters respawn, and I haven't seen them change their Tera typing yet either

e: but yes you have to give them an attack whack to break the jewel upon reaching red HP, otherwise chip can and will kill them

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Slightly disappointed when you make an awful sandwich you don’t just poo poo yourself and die and respawn at the nearest Pokémon center.

My chorizo, hamburger, banana, and mayo monstrosity did make my guy wince though.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
While the team star fairy base is good for grinding Chansey, I would suggest if you are in the post-game to grind them at the hidden cave in Area 3 where Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant spawn. If you haven't seen it, walk left when exiting Research Station three and look for the small hidden cave entrance on the left side just before the lone tree in front of you. If you make an Encounter: Normal type sandwich (outside of area zero) you will find a lot of them since they are the only normal type available there. Bring a Tinkaton and you can easily farm the Zwelious there as well. Also having more copies of Roaring Moon\Iron Valiant never hurts

Also if you need a Flame Body pokemon post-game, make an Encounter: Fire sandwich and go to Area Zero to find both Talonflame and Volcarona The amount of them that will spawn is absolutely hilarious, a perfect place to shiny hunt for them if you make sparkling sandwiches.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

HD DAD posted:

Slightly disappointed when you make an awful sandwich you don’t just poo poo yourself and die and respawn at the nearest Pokémon center.

My chorizo, hamburger, banana, and mayo monstrosity did make my guy wince though.

the only bathroom in the game is in your dorm room.

good luck, with those loading times.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Larryb posted:

I never got the appeal of moves with recoil to them honestly, unless you’re sure you can end the fight with said move it seems like you’re just needlessly handicapping yourself/potentially screwing yourself over

I saw Anwen spam nothing but Take Down against one of the titan bosses and suddenly his story made a lot more sense

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Countblanc posted:

They do lots of damage

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

What's this azurill raid build? That looks pretty funny since the little chonk ball owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Mustached Demon posted:

What's this azurill raid build? That looks pretty funny since the little chonk ball owns.

Huge Power ability (doubles attack), Fairy Tera (for dragon-tera charizard raids incoming), Maximized Attack EVs, Bottle-capped Attack, Adamant nature

Use water and fairy phys attacks and belly drum

e: these are all assumptions lol

e2: theres a wandering tera-fairy azurill in the mid-north of the NW lake, apparently

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 28, 2022