Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Count Thrashula posted:

Aside from Stardew and Portia, what good lifestyle/chore sims are on the switch?

I have a newborn, so ideally something I can sink a ton of hours into in the middle of the night while I'm up with him

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Aside from Stardew and Portia, what good lifestyle/chore sims are on the switch?

I have a newborn, so ideally something I can sink a ton of hours into in the middle of the night while I'm up with him

https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/best-nintendo-switch-life-sims-and-farming-games

Forager, Graveyard Keeper, Littlewood are all enjoyable.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Count Thrashula posted:

Rune Factory 4. It's the only game that I think is on par with Stardew. As long as you are fine with anime it's amazing. Each character has so many unique lines of dialogue you'll literally never read the same line twice in a single play through. It's got 2 arcs that are both as long as most other games. The marriage events are unique quests that run about an hour long and are genuinely some of the most charming sequences I've ever seen in a game.

It's heavier on the combat than Portia - whether that's a pro or con depends on your personal preferences. You can bring up to two NPCs (including any of the bachellors and bachelloretes) with you when fighting.

Hwurmp posted:

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Sakuna is a step further towards being a fighting game than Rune Factory. It's a Castlevania-like with a farm attached. People who like Castlevania might object to that description but I can't think of a better comparison point. The (rice) farm is very detailed, but not well explained in game, so you probably want to watch or read a guide, or three. There's very much a right and wrong way to do it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Count Thrashula posted:

Cozy Grove

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Enfys posted:

Cozy Grove

I wouldn't say this has a TON of hours on a daily basis, since there's a real-life-time lock on most of the progression.

It is adorable and fun, though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

Rune factory 4 is Stardew valley with a number fetish. Lots of numbers to make go up and enough dialogue that you can get a year and a half in game before you see repeat convos

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack Trades posted:

How much metaprogression is there?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you explain more?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
more meta progression than you would like personally i am guessing

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you explain more?

the upgrades you get in between runs are meta progression

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

There's some, but it's fairly organic feeling. The biggest thing is slowly unlocking more stuff for the pool of blueprints and cornerstone perks that you can get in the random rewards every year. There are also some straight up power bonuses but they are gradual and not extremely significant, and the game has quite a lot of increasing difficulty settings to make those feel "worth it", if that makes sense.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

There's a level track which unlocks blueprints and cornerstones (perks), and then there's spending resources in the citadel tree which are in the format (minor %-based static upgrade + significant game mechanic). There's also deeds which are achievements that give you some bonus XP and some sidegrades (new decorations, a couple of cornerstones). Also difficulty levels only unlock as you complete the previous ones.

Most of the leveling and early citadel stuff is staggering game mechanics so it's not all thrown at you at once.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Seconding Graveyard Keeper and Forager. They are shorter than RF or SV but both are very good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Forager was like crack to me for a while but then the developer turned out to be a piece of poo poo and that helped me quit playing it. It has enough going on at all times that I get into a mode where it's really hard to stop.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Any reason why RF4 is being suggested over 5?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

RF5 had something of a wonky transition to 3D that makes the game feel significantly worse than it's predecessor. RF4 on the other hand is basically the 4th actual iteration of the franchise on the basically the same hardware (DS to 3DS) and pretty much an improved mechanically and slightly less anime version of RF3. RF4 also got extra content and fixes in the rereleases.

RF5 is still considered good as long as you're not playing it on the Switch and it does actually let you do m/m and f/f romances. But otherwise, RF4 is generally considered better.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there a way to change controller bindings in Dinkum? I keep dropping my weapons when I try to fight.

Mysticblade posted:

RF5 had something of a wonky transition to 3D that makes the game feel significantly worse than it's predecessor. RF4 on the other hand is basically the 4th actual iteration of the franchise on the basically the same hardware (DS to 3DS) and pretty much an improved mechanically and slightly less anime version of RF3. RF4 also got extra content and fixes in the rereleases.

RF5 is still considered good as long as you're not playing it on the Switch and it does actually let you do m/m and f/f romances. But otherwise, RF4 is generally considered better.

Yep.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Rune Factory 4 scratches that "Numbers Go Up" itch well but I really dislike the PC graphics, I can't remember if it's the same as the 3ds version and you can't see how bad they are, or if they used AI upscaling or whatever, but all the items in the inventory and parts of the overworld background look like blurry poo poo. I don't get it.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

sithael posted:

Rune Factory 4 scratches that "Numbers Go Up" itch well but I really dislike the PC graphics, I can't remember if it's the same as the 3ds version and you can't see how bad they are, or if they used AI upscaling or whatever, but all the items in the inventory and parts of the overworld background look like blurry poo poo. I don't get it.

yeah, they did remaster the graphics somewhat for the switch version but imo it's not a huge improvement. for me the gameplay makes up for it but it might not be everyone's cup of tea because it can be very grindy.

also dinkum has been really fun and relaxing* so far, thank you to the folks itt posting about it or I'd probably never have bought it :3:

*except when a crocodile waits for me outside my tent and I have to spear it to death

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Against the Storm is pretty cool.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

sithael posted:

I remember someone talking about modding the game and restoring the 3ds textures so they'd look pixel-y instead of blurry but I can't find it.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

yeah, they did remaster the graphics somewhat for the switch version but imo it's not a huge improvement. for me the gameplay makes up for it but it might not be everyone's cup of tea because it can be very grindy.

also dinkum has been really fun and relaxing* so far, thank you to the folks itt posting about it or I'd probably never have bought it :3:

*except when a crocodile waits for me outside my tent and I have to spear it to death

yeah, luckily the gameplay is all that matters, but stuff like this just amazes me at how bad it is:

I'm tempted to get out the 3ds and compare. this is almost so bad it's funny.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i never really noticed anything wrong with rf4s textures beyond looking like slightly upscaled 3ds textures but maybe thats just cause i played it handheld on my switch lite :v:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

How do you protect your crops in Dinkum?

I'm playing multiplayer with my wife, and we've got a little 3x5 area fenced in with tomatoes inside. We've lost half the tomatoes twice now, and I've no idea why. There was no wildlife nearby when I noticed the tomatoes were just missing. Poles and everything gone.

It is still the first summer so there have been no season changes. Tomatoes are a summer & fall crop.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 1, 2022

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

LLSix posted:

I'm playing multiplayer with my wife, and we've got a little 3x5 area fenced in with tomatoes inside. We've lost half the tomatoes twice now, and I've no idea why. There was no wildlife nearby when I noticed the tomatoes were just missing. Poles and everything gone.

It is still the first summer so there have been no season changes. Tomatoes are a summer & fall crop.

you gotta make some scarecrows out of either pumpkins or watermelons otherwise birds will eat your crops

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

LLSix posted:

weirdly the fence keeps out both birds and roos for me, I used to find a bunch of them fruitlessly hopping around against it whenever I'd go check. but after making a scarecrow they don't come by anymore at all

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I really want to like potionomics but that 1 time slot to travel thing is absolutely killing me. I will happily spend 20 minutes shuffling stuff back and forth into my potion pot to maximise potion stuff but having to do my entire gift + shopping + misc run in one go with no save option in between is sucking the fun out of it hardcore.

Yesterday I did a bunch of selling and queued up my potions and headed in to start adventuring only to realise I'd left some very important potions on my display and hadn't saved before I left and I honestly just cannot bring myself to redo all of that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cutscene-Sakuna is much better at planting rice than I am.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am very invested in Against The Storm, but I am also going to drop it like a radioactive dildo the moment Dwarf Fortress drops.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am very invested in Against The Storm, but I am also going to drop it like a radioactive dildo the moment Dwarf Fortress drops.

lol same

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Sakuna, when do I get access to the 'seed sorting' mechanic? Lots of beginner tips give recommendations for it, but I still haven't seen it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the central game play loop is troublingly good and each town lasts exactly long enough for me

Probably this year's most unexpected standout for me (I knew from the first glimpse I'd love pentiment)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

In Sakuna, when do I get access to the 'seed sorting' mechanic? Lots of beginner tips give recommendations for it, but I still haven't seen it.

You should have access to mud sorting from the get-go. Salt sorting unlocks once you've obtained enough salt.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The Lone Badger posted:

Technically you have access to a lot of the farming options before they're introduced, but over the course of the first couple years everything is properly introduced to you. If you haven't seen a farming thing brought up yet, don't worry about it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

You should have access to mud sorting from the get-go. Salt sorting unlocks once you've obtained enough salt.

How do I do it? I always seem to go harvest -> till -> plant seedlings, with no option to have input on the seedlings. I've tried bumbling around the storehouse (where the seedling trays are) in Winter, can't find a prompt.
I just brought in my third crop.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I do it? I always seem to go harvest -> till -> plant seedlings, with no option to have input on the seedlings. I've tried bumbling around the storehouse (where the seedling trays are) in Winter, can't find a prompt.
I just brought in my third crop.

You might not have enough seeds yet - I think it unlocks once you get enough seeds to need to sort them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jayme posted:

You might not have enough seeds yet - I think it unlocks once you get enough seeds to need to sort them.

This is quite possible, because I am bad at rice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sorry, I was wrong about it being available from the start. Once seed sorting unlocks, it'll be during tilling time at the start of Spring. There'll be a bucket in the back left corner of the storehouse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Currently I fertilise every morning, and I am in a constant struggle to avoid the 'low soil nutrients' warning.
Should I start fertilising once in the morning (with all the +stat adjuncts) and once in the evening (with just nutrients)?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pretty much, but make sure not to overfill the triangle or your rice might become overgrown & spindly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've gotten 2 seasons into Dinkum and it's kind of an odd game. In one particularly frustrating way, it's almost the opposite of Stardew: it seems to want players to engage with every mechanic at all times. Two easy examples of this are the commerce license and gifting. In order to unlock the commerce license you have to gain 10 skill levels in mining, logging, and fishing. 10 Skill levels represents, at minimum, several real-life hours of dedicated effort or about half-way to the soft-cap. If you don't like fishing or mining or whatever, you're out of luck. There's no catch-up mechanic to gain skill in the activity you don't like. You just have to grind through it. Gifting is handled by NPCs giving daily requests that you can either accept or refuse. The catch is, with the notable exception of food you'd like to eat yourself, nothing the NPCs ask for can be stored in a box. You can't stock up on stuff for gifts while doing other tasks. You must put aside your personal plans for the day and go do a chore for the NPC instead if you want to make them happy. They can ask for bugs or fish or metals, so again, if you don't like one of those mechanics you're stuck with either not progressing friendship for the day or engaging with a game system you don't like. And you can't just skip the friendship and gifting mechanic entirely either - in order for people to move onto the island permanently, you (or at least the host player in MP) have to raise the NPC's friendship level just to unlock the quest to have them move in. Actually getting them to move in generally requires a large amount of goods gained from mining, logging, and sometimes the game's treasure hunting mechanic, the tool for which is a metal detector. If you think fiddling with a metal detector sounds tedious, you're not wrong.

Despite all this, my wife adores the game and constantly asks to play it. We've played a lot of games together over the last decade and I can't remember the last time she's been as excited about a game. It's clearly able to hook people, despite what are to me, clear flaws. I just wish they'd either put more design effort into ensuring all the systems are actually fun, or at least given me a way to avoid them in favor of the parts of the game I find more tolerable.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

LLSix posted:

and sometimes the game's treasure hunting mechanic, the tool for which is a metal detector. If you think fiddling with a metal detector sounds tedious, you're not wrong.

Look at this scrub who hasn’t gotten level 2 of the metal detecting license