Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Call of Juarez Gunslinger is really good on deck. The art style looks really nice on the little screen. Runs at at a solid 60 of course it better it's old as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

loquacius posted:

What kind of speed SD card would you want if you wanted to run games off it? Trying to get one this weekend while everything's on sale. Is 120 mb/s acceptable? I have no idea what speed is in my switch and I think it's been working fine but I'm overthinking this time

There's not really a big performance difference that I'm aware of. just go with a decent manufacturer like samsung or sandisk and you shouldn't have a problem.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Any U1 card from a decent manufacturer should be fine, the only things that really get faster if you go up are write speeds but that isn’t going to matter once the games are installed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Any U1 card from a decent manufacturer should be fine, the only things that really get faster if you go up are write speeds but that isn’t going to matter once the games are installed.

People say there's a noticable load time improvement with U2 and U3 cards, but I wouldn't expect the difference to make anything unplayable.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've only encountered about 5 games that have a noticable difference in load times between the SSD and the SD card, so imagine differences between cards will be even less noticable.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Works for me, the 512GB U1 SanDisk cards were marked down to 40 bucks on Newegg so I just grabbed one of those :tipshat:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

loquacius posted:

What kind of speed SD card would you want if you wanted to run games off it? Trying to get one this weekend while everything's on sale. Is 120 mb/s acceptable? I have no idea what speed is in my switch and I think it's been working fine but I'm overthinking this time

That's very fast. You won't see a difference between SSD and this when you're playing games. The faster SD cards are on the market for photographers.

E: Beware of theoretical speeds

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I'm using an SD card just for classic PS2 and older era games it won't really matter what speed I got right? It should still be faster than the original disk or cart medium, or in the carts case probably just load the whole thing into ram

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If I'm using an SD card just for classic PS2 and older era games it won't really matter what speed I got right? It should still be faster than the original disk or cart medium, or in the carts case probably just load the whole thing into ram

Yeah that’s generally right, hence why I have my SSD for steam games and the SD card for emulation.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just wanna say that I got RDR2 in the sale as I've got a 20 hour flight coming soon and I figured some chill cowboy action would be a good fit. I'll also very likely have a working plug as I'm flying business.

I played it a bit on PS4 when it first came out but got sidetracked and never went back. I just tried it out on the deck and I'm absolutely blown away by how well it runs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I just wanna say that I got RDR2 in the sale as I've got a 20 hour flight coming soon and I figured some chill cowboy action would be a good fit. I'll also very likely have a working plug as I'm flying business.

I played it a bit on PS4 when it first came out but got sidetracked and never went back. I just tried it out on the deck and I'm absolutely blown away by how well it runs.

So I’m 90% sure they have fixed it but I’d play it for a good 30 min or so to make sure it still doesn’t crash like it used to.

Besides that it does play great.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What's the best flight simulator option on the deck if I mostly just want to bum around in a piper cub in the middle of nowhere?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m 90% sure they have fixed it but I’d play it for a good 30 min or so to make sure it still doesn’t crash like it used to.

Besides that it does play great.

I haven't crashed in 10 hours or so, so I think they did.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What's the best flight simulator option on the deck if I mostly just want to bum around in a piper cub in the middle of nowhere?

The easiest to get running is probably x-plane 11. You can get Microsoft Flight Simulator running well on it too, but it takes a lot more work and you need to install windows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugh my jsaux dock appears to be malfunctioning. The video has been cutting in and out or not being recognized. It was fine until this afternoon. I took the deck out of the dock for a while and hoping it will look back to normal now that I've reconnected. None of the connections felt loose.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I hate MSFS2020 running once, and it wasn't all that bad but I have no clue what happened since and it just crashes. This was the native Steam version too going through Linux.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I am considering buying a Steam Deck, but I want to use it as both a retro-game emulation device as well as a Steam Game device.

Do I need to mess with dual-boot shenanigans or "jailbreaking" or whatever to do so, or can the Deck natively run 3rd party programs such as emulators?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Annath posted:

I am considering buying a Steam Deck, but I want to use it as both a retro-game emulation device as well as a Steam Game device.

Do I need to mess with dual-boot shenanigans or "jailbreaking" or whatever to do so, or can the Deck natively run 3rd party programs such as emulators?

Nah no jail breaking needed. For emulators the go to is Emudeck

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Annath posted:

I was able to figure it out pretty easy.

There's no modding involved. You just switch the deck to desktop mode and install it like you would anything on Linux.

I am not a Linux user and I don't even have a mouse and keyboard and was able to do it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Annath posted:

Emulation on Steam Deck is so ridiculously easy that Valve accidentally left the cover art to a Switch emulator in a recent Steam Deck advertisement.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I honestly don't know why you'd even buy a Steam Deck if you weren't going to just gently caress around setting up increasingly broken emulators and ports

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RBA Starblade posted:

I honestly don't know why you'd even buy a Steam Deck if you weren't going to just gently caress around setting up increasingly broken emulators and ports

I'm a weird use case in that I'm, so far, just using it for steam games. I didn't have a gaming PC for literally years, and this January my wife and I bought a gaming laptop. It was great, except for the fact that we had to share it.

And now we don't.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's really good at what it does even when you aren't messing with custom stuff. The only competition is from devices that either run Android or Windows (poorly)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

In the past I'd spent more time hacking consoles / pirating games than ever actually using them. Nor had I purchased anything on Steam for distaste of the monopoly that admittedly they have yet to abuse.

Now I give Steam money and spent time gaming.

Incidentally my dream of finishing a computer game and publishing it on the Switch has taken a hard pivot to a different export target.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Annath posted:

As other people have said, it’s just a PC so you can install programs on it just like you would on a PC. The EmuDeck thing everyone talks about is a single install script that’ll install all the emulators you need, set up their file structure either on an SD card or the internal storage and configure everything to optimal deck settings (in theory, some of its default settings are a bit off). It also includes a program called Steam Rom Manager, which sets up non-Steam game shortcuts to your emulated games so they show up in the Deck’s gaming UI like any other game. You might occasionally need to do some janitoring to keep it looking nice but you can have a main screen like this.

The version of Ocarina of Time there also isn't emulated. It's the native PC port that can run at 40fps, has all the randomiser tools built in and can use texture packs so if you want it looking like the 3DS version instead of the N64 one you can do that. Super Mario 64 also has a native port, and I believe people are working on Perfect Dark. The Wii U emulator Cemu also has mods for some games that will let them run at the Deck's native 16:10 resolution. So you can have Breath of the Wild running in native 1280x800 at a locked 40fps.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 28, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hammer Bro. posted:

Incidentally my dream of finishing a computer game and publishing it on the Switch has taken a hard pivot to a different export target.
fwiw you might be able to do both relatively easily, a bunch of stuff does these days...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yeah just make sure the switch version runs at 17fps at 232p so you can fit in

don't forget the sharpening filter for handheld mode

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ugh my jsaux dock appears to be malfunctioning. The video has been cutting in and out or not being recognized. It was fine until this afternoon. I took the deck out of the dock for a while and hoping it will look back to normal now that I've reconnected. None of the connections felt loose.

Boo! Mine has yet to come, but I’m hoping for a better experience. Deck is good though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

loquacius posted:

I don't think the super high MB/s burst speed cards matter, those are for videographers recording high res video and photographers who want to take a lot of RAW photos very fast, the steam deck doesn't even read that fast, so the U3 V30 is fine, but the Class A2 vs A1 cards make a notable difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHZs8RTlVU

https://www.sdcard.org/press/thoughtleadership/the-more-you-know-the-evolution-of-sd-ratings-for-new-applications/

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

good news deckheads, just updated shower with your dad simulator so it should now be steam deck verified

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

at last I can virtually shower with my dad while I shower with my dad

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Are there any good ways to get the various streaming services (Spotify, Netflix, HBO, whatever) on here other than the web browser? That works but it has some limitations, and I'm gonna be on a trip in January where I'd love to leave my other devices behind.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nope, that's it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I have a lifetimes worth of backlog on steam and I mostly don't care about replaying old games.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pirate Jet posted:

Are there any good ways to get the various streaming services (Spotify, Netflix, HBO, whatever) on here other than the web browser? That works but it has some limitations, and I'm gonna be on a trip in January where I'd love to leave my other devices behind.

Desktop mode. Spotify is in Discover. Right click it in the “start menu” and choose “add to steam” to get access in game mode.

It will multitask with games, but getting the audio mix can be annoying. There’s a plugin for Decky that puts media hot keys in the “3 dot button”

I don’t know anything about HBO and Netflix on Linux, but usually DRM makes that a pain.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I've had an issue with Ressonance of fate where the game resolution will not fit the screen, it makes it so I can only see the top quadrant of the image, plus when the game is booting I notice there's some resizing going on because I see a blank window for a split second, none of the override options seem to do anything also.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Since it was on sale, I spent an entire $4.25 on Vampire Survivors since everyone here slobbers all over it. It just looked like a Robotron / Smash TV clone so I never bothered with it.

loving hell, I've never been so wrong. You guys are directly responsible for my massive plunge in productivity. :argh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got it for €3 and have about 30 hours in it, it's insane

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This may be a bit obscure even by the standards of this thread, but has anyone ever gotten a MUD/MUSH client running on the Deck? I'm super unfamiliar with the Linux software scene but it looks like Mudlet is the client of choice. Would it be as simple as downloading and installing it in desktop mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I also thought it would be dumb but since people raved about it and it was pocket change pricing I decided to try it and there went several hours of my life pretty much immediately.

I’m still only scratching the surface I’m pretty sure, I’ve managed to clear the first area a couple of times and unlocked a few more plus some of the evolved weapons. It’s a lot more fun than you’d expect given the premise.