Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cythereal posted:

That one, I was actually able to name. The Seamoth and the Nautilus are no more. Dauntless, you're up.

My Seamoth is always Scooty Puff Jr, and the Cyclops is always Scooty Puff Sr :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
My first two Sea Moths were lost to reapers. My third had a solar charger and Perimeter Defenses.

Vengeance was not swift, but my future trips to the Aurora were much quieter. :black101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Complaints about reapers aside, I'm enjoying developing my base.

I now have a fully upgraded scanner room (4x range upgrades), an alien containment I'm trying eggs in, a thermal plant, and a power cell charger.

Second garden area, including a gel sac farm, is looking good.

Nothing for it now but to head back out and look for more schematics.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 28, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

YggiDee posted:

My first Reaper encounter was when I was exploring too close to the Aurora and the fucker started eating my Seamoth while I was still in it. I managed to get out of the Seamoth before it crushed with me inside but it was a long swim home.

I feel thats most peoples' first run-in with Mister Screamyface, sure was mine.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's the thing, education won't make it any clearer. Technically a studio that size should be able to do it in a weekend just about.

lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Laugh if you want, from what I'm assuming it's the exact same engine with a bit more player functionality additions, none of it affecting porting the worldspace or the scripts. What do you think would be hard about that then? :bernout:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subnautica runs on a fairly heavily customised version of the unity engine and then it was further customised for below zero, no doubt breaking a bunch of things in the original if the just copied it all over. I remember hearing issues with the better looking water in below zero are why there's no quick rear view camera on the seatruck, actually.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Then they spent a lot of effort (and salaries) on worthless work. It's not like bz is significantly prettier than og anyway.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Laugh if you want, from what I'm assuming it's the exact same engine with a bit more player functionality additions, none of it affecting porting the worldspace or the scripts. What do you think would be hard about that then? :bernout:

I dunno, I'm not an engineer, but I have made a lot of games, and nothing is ever this simple when switching from one engine to another. Even if your assumptions are true, and I'd suspect that they aren't, those processes take time and automated processes 1. need to be designed and created, which takes time 2. are never perfect and will 100% require QA and human intervention.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Then they spent a lot of effort (and salaries) on worthless work. It's not like bz is significantly prettier than og anyway.

BZ runs significantly better and has far less popping-in. It's much less buggy as well. I wouldn't call that wasted work. We also don't know what kind of improvements on the tools side there might be, or back-end improvements that are mostly invivisible to players but are needed for future development.

EDIT: I dunno, they may have wasted work, there's always some wasted work in gamedev- but it's clear that their streaming is much improved between the two games.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 28, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does this seem to take a long time because it's actually a difficult process? No, it must be the game developers who are lazy.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Double down. Bold move.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. I think it might be time to set up a forward base or two with scanners to make resource harvesting and looking for schematics easier. My base in the shallows with a fully range-upgrades scanner has been very helpful, but I think I want one deeper now. But I'm not sure where to put one.

The mushroom forest, perhaps?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I had two bases in Subnautica. One was a refueling station next to the shallows with a moon-pool, food and water production facilities, and battery / power cell recharging stations. My main base, though, was my Cyclops, and apart from the dozens of storage compartments dedicated to every material you can think of, I had a cabinet dedicated to holding all the components necessary for a scanner room, a room with a bio-reactor to power it, and four scanner room range upgrade modules.

Whenever I ran low on a resource, I'd Cyclops on over to a likely location, build a temporary scanner room, harvest as necessary, and pack up and move along.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yes, don't forget you can deconstruct bases for free.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Never deconstruct. Leave a trail of abandoned bases in your wake for the next crashed protagonist to explore and loot.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Grand Fromage posted:

Never deconstruct. Leave a trail of abandoned bases in your wake for the next crashed protagonist to explore and loot.

I wish this were a thing. There's a Rimworld mod that pulls from a databse of player bases and makes them "abandoned" and you can find them around the planet. It's a cool thing- wish Subnautica had something like that. Degassi bases will have to do.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Cythereal posted:

Hmmm. I think it might be time to set up a forward base or two with scanners to make resource harvesting and looking for schematics easier. My base in the shallows with a fully range-upgrades scanner has been very helpful, but I think I want one deeper now. But I'm not sure where to put one.

The mushroom forest, perhaps?

Setting up relay bases with a scanner room and some battery/power cell rechargers, maybe a desalinator, is how I got around the map for a big portion of the game. I didn't really need them, in the end, but it was a lot of fun.

My only two main bases were one in the shallows, and another at a late-game landmark the ghost tree. And those two had a full setup, including grow-beds, desalinators, etc. Effectively self-sufficient. I spent a lot of time decorating them and making them pretty, too. The other bases were usually just slapped together, with a bio-reactor to power the scanner.

One thing I really like to do, but never fully commit to it in either of my playthroughs, is to have a xeno containment specailizing in specific biomes. Lots of fun, but I never actually did every major biome.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The red grasslands on the other side of the shallows further from the Aurora is the pro central location for your main base. There’s a tall rear end spire there I like to build out from that makes your base look cool without any struts below it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My first is usually near the jellyshroom cave. Easy (easier) magnetite :)

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I like to build my main Shallows base at the thermal vents about 340m SSE of the lifepod. It's a huge QoL improvement to just park the cyclops on top and never worry about shuffling power cells around (once you get that particular upgrade ofc).

I also simply must have a mining base in the jellyshroom cave, also near the thermals there. That zone is so gorgeous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Right now my thinking is that my biggest obstacle to progress at the moment is just finding schematics and scannable fragments, and I believe the scanner room can find those. So I want to set up a scanner base or two to look for those in addition to other resources.

I found some rubies and uranium last night, happily. Was going for the 500m Degasi habitat and got sidetracked by goodies. Almost lost seamoth #3 from trying to pilot it into a cave and getting it stuck. :( Bit of a nail biter trying to free it because I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it back to the surface in time if I had to abandon it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Cartoon Man posted:

The red grasslands on the other side of the shallows further from the Aurora is the pro central location for your main base. There’s a tall rear end spire there I like to build out from that makes your base look cool without any struts below it.

That's where I always build mine. Easy access to the lost river and there are nearby thermal vents that have rubies and gel acts growing on them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
You should be able to repair the old Degasi seabases and use them

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I wish this were a thing. There's a Rimworld mod that pulls from a databse of player bases and makes them "abandoned" and you can find them around the planet. It's a cool thing- wish Subnautica had something like that. Degassi bases will have to do.

It is a thing actually somewhat, you can find pods from other players that sometimes have useful supplies from them. Its the pod you can jettison right before you rocket off of that rock and I think its a really cool idea and I'm glad its in the game

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I built 4 bases. The main one was in the safe shallows (and I always used the escape pod fabricator), then one out in the Bulb Zone, my first base was just a tin can I built on the island waiting for the Sunbeam and never really made use of, and then I built one in the ghostray cave which came in handy for when that part of the game kept bugging out.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

My main base was right next to the jellyfish cave which ended up being a good central spot for one

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I found the Jellyshroom cave pretty early on and couldn't wait to explore it, so I built a base on top of the cave entrance and constructed a long vertical shaft down into the cave so I could reach the abandoned seabase without suffocating.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
My strategy was to leave the Seamoth right above crush depth and return to it when I needed oxygen. I love hearing about people's unorthodox and creative solutions to challenges.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I always had grow beds and a coffee machine on the Cyclops, that way I was self-sufficient enough to spend as much time away from my main base as I needed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Outpost Mushroom Kingdom is a go.

I do indeed have a pet crabsnake! The other eggs I've hatched so far are a sandshark and an acid fart manatee. :gonk:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I forgot that invisibility turns off each time you exit the game and proceeded to make new and unexpected friends.

First I met these freaky but harmless escapees from Vvardenfell. :3:

Then Cthulu Jr teleported me out of my submarine.

Then this is the last screenshot I took before whatever the gently caress this thing is ripped my seamoth apart, and me shortly afterwards.

The Dauntless has joined the Seamoth and the Nautilus in the great ship graveyard in the sky. Here's hoping #4 lasts longer...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bargearse posted:

I always had grow beds and a coffee machine on the Cyclops, that way I was self-sufficient enough to spend as much time away from my main base as I needed.

If you bring extra power cells, and install the powered-by-heat module, you're REALLY all set.

Cythereal posted:

Then this is the last screenshot I took before whatever the gently caress this thing is ripped my seamoth apart, and me shortly afterwards.

I'm not going to go into detail, because I believe if you want to learn more, YOU have to scan them in-game, but those are by far my most hated enemy. gently caress. THEM.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 29, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hate the teleporting guys and the EMP guys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

WHY IS THERE A FACEHUGGER FLOATING THROUGH THE AIR INSIDE MY BASE

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You put that thermoblade away right now mister

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s a cuddlefish! Don’t hurt it!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

withak posted:

Don’t hurt it!

I tried, but the knife clips right through it. :(

That thing just ain't right and tomorrow after work I'm making the propulsion cannon to see if I can relocate it into orbit. It's right up there with the crabsquid in disturbing poo poo I've seen in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/NSfJ0Ol.mp4