Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, it's a great "I need to kill time for a few minutes" game and also a great "where did the last three hours go" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the "Random" character is so so funny

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a way to get the SD to output in 1080p or 1440p, while docked?

Do I have to go into desktop mode to play games at this resolution, or is there a way to forced this behavior while docked?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is vampire survivors significantly better than Magic Survivor on Android? That game was.... fine, but I also didn't find much to it, so I dropped off pretty quickly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got it for €3 and have about 30 hours in it, it's insane

I just looked.. how the gently caress did I rack up 22.5 hours in it.. I haven't played it THAT much.. LOL

edit: that was my kid, i have 7.5

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 28, 2022

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Since it was on sale, I spent an entire $4.25 on Vampire Survivors since everyone here slobbers all over it. It just looked like a Robotron / Smash TV clone so I never bothered with it.

loving hell, I've never been so wrong. You guys are directly responsible for my massive plunge in productivity. :argh:

Lol, every time.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

fwiw you might be able to do both relatively easily, a bunch of stuff does these days...

My engine of choice (Godot) hasn't had Switch support historically for licensing reasons, though recently the creators have something-somethingd in a way that maybe affects that (who knows).

Tiny Timbs posted:

yeah just make sure the switch version runs at 17fps at 232p so you can fit in

don't forget the sharpening filter for handheld mode

Hah! Resolution support is always a pain, but it's been especially odd trying to support 16:10 natively but 16:9 in a way that doesn't lose anything.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is vampire survivors significantly better than Magic Survivor on Android? That game was.... fine, but I also didn't find much to it, so I dropped off pretty quickly.

I'd say it is, I played Vampire Survivors first and despite trying a few times I've not been able to get into Magic Survival.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

docbeard posted:

Yeah, it's a great "I need to kill time for a few minutes" game and also a great "where did the last three hours go" game.

I understand why Vampire Survivors is great for "I need to kill time for a few minutes".. but only in theory. I'd love to know how long my average session time is with Vampire Survivors, but I bet it's well over an hour.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to get the SD to output in 1080p or 1440p, while docked?

Do I have to go into desktop mode to play games at this resolution, or is there a way to forced this behavior while docked?

If you go to properties on each specific game you can set a higher output resolution. I don't know if there's a blanket way to do this.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Bumhead posted:

I understand why Vampire Survivors is great for "I need to kill time for a few minutes".. but only in theory. I'd love to know how long my average session time is with Vampire Survivors, but I bet it's well over an hour.

Yeah I've gone numb on the toilet before when a five minute break became full 30 minute sessions

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

my average vampire survivors session is about 10 minutes because that's how long it takes me to die

Harlock posted:

If you go to properties on each specific game you can set a higher output resolution. I don't know if there's a blanket way to do this.

it caps out at 800p, at least in gaming mode. I can try desktop mode later, but that's not ideal. I'd like for the deck to see it's "docked" and just output at a higher res. Obviously it'll take more resources, but that's fine, you can dial back the settings of PC games.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

my average vampire survivors session is about 10 minutes because that's how long it takes me to die

it caps out at 800p, at least in gaming mode. I can try desktop mode later, but that's not ideal. I'd like for the deck to see it's "docked" and just output at a higher res. Obviously it'll take more resources, but that's fine, you can dial back the settings of PC games.

My sessions are only 30 mins when I play for 10, I alwasy get a good run when I'm like.. Heh I'll fire it up for 10 mins before i gotta flip burgers.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone was wondering Titan Quest works just fine on deck. Some broken lighting though.

This is a great suggestion for Deck games.

I've never played it before, so as far as I know it's working perfect with attacks and looting.

Seems a great controller ARPG

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pirate Jet posted:

Are there any good ways to get the various streaming services (Spotify, Netflix, HBO, whatever) on here other than the web browser? That works but it has some limitations, and I'm gonna be on a trip in January where I'd love to leave my other devices behind.

Load your web browser as a non-steam game, and never leave gaming mode like me!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Pirate Jet posted:

Are there any good ways to get the various streaming services (Spotify, Netflix, HBO, whatever) on here other than the web browser? That works but it has some limitations, and I'm gonna be on a trip in January where I'd love to leave my other devices behind.

Plex works - you can install the client in desktop mode and then add it to Steam for use in gaming mode

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

jokes posted:

I am dumb, and that's a great idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Athanatos posted:

This is a great suggestion for Deck games.

I've never played it before, so as far as I know it's working perfect with attacks and looting.

Seems a great controller ARPG

Controller works pretty well with it! There aren't a lot of skills to start with so it's mostly mapped out fine

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It should work exactly like this. I'm not at my desktop monitor at the moment, but I remember configuring it first at desktop mode to 1080p120 and it then works exactly as you described also in gaming mode. You can FSR from 720p to 1080p and it still looks decent, I used this with Monster Train for example. I could run some games like Hades at 1080p and 120hz.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently on a per-game setup you can set the resolution in properties, and even enforce it on the internal monitor (which can absolutely go up to 1080p, I just tried)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edge works the best for me, and I have a very specific controller configuration for my browser. I wonder if there's a way to have specific websites be added as a "game" in gaming mode.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

jokes posted:

Edge works the best for me, and I have a very specific controller configuration for my browser. I wonder if there's a way to have specific websites be added as a "game" in gaming mode.

That’s pretty much how the Game Pass Streaming works, from the official Microsoft guide. You basically add edge as a non steam game and tinker with properties so it goes to the site and has the right resolution and everything

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently on a per-game setup you can set the resolution in properties, and even enforce it on the internal monitor (which can absolutely go up to 1080p, I just tried)

You have to change that setting to allow the game to see other resolutions than the default (1280x800, 1280x720 when docked). The internal display really is only 800p, but Gamescope will rescale the rendered window to the display's size so running at 1080p on the internal monitor is a kind of supersampling.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What needs to be done for RetroArch to save settings changes?

VVV Yeah, I'm just lost in a hall of mirrors in those dang menus.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 28, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arcane rituals, preferably involving a goat.

I think there is a save settings option but it’s not where you’d expect it to be and also I don’t remember where it is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jokes posted:

I did that with Firefox but it only shows a small portion of the window in gaming mode, and clicking with the triggers does nothing.

Heran Bago posted:

What needs to be done for RetroArch to save settings changes?

VVV Yeah, I'm just lost in a hall of mirrors in those dang menus.
You kinda just need to hit every saving option until you find the magic combo that makes the whole thing save. RA kinda sucks and I wish it wasn't basically the only option for emulation on the Deck.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If i remember correctly, you need to turn on developer mode, then you can turn on the ability to change resolutions higher than 800p.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

RA kinda sucks and I wish it wasn't basically the only option for emulation on the Deck.

I cannot emphasize enough how many options you have, in Discover alone you have lots of standalone emulators and a few alternate multisystem emulators. Of course it does depend somewhat on which libretro cores you're using but I just generally recommend people frustrated with RA to try using the standalone programs where available.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Doctor Zero posted:

Since it was on sale, I spent an entire $4.25 on Vampire Survivors since everyone here slobbers all over it. It just looked like a Robotron / Smash TV clone so I never bothered with it.

loving hell, I've never been so wrong. You guys are directly responsible for my massive plunge in productivity. :argh:

Yup. Not my sort of game at all but I picked it up due to the recommendations. And that's how i spent the last 3 hours.

Has anyone had luck running Far Cry 4? It's listed as playable in Steam but I get just endless loading or dark screens without any apparent progress.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

nonathlon posted:

Yup. Not my sort of game at all but I picked it up due to the recommendations. And that's how i spent the last 3 hours.

Has anyone had luck running Far Cry 4? It's listed as playable in Steam but I get just endless loading or dark screens without any apparent progress.

Definitely check Protondb, I'm sure someone's figured out a way to get it running.

Edit: Looks like a few people got it working

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 29, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Commander Keene posted:

I did that with Firefox but it only shows a small portion of the window in gaming mode, and clicking with the triggers does nothing.

You kinda just need to hit every saving option until you find the magic combo that makes the whole thing save. RA kinda sucks and I wish it wasn't basically the only option for emulation on the Deck.

I have problems with Firefox in gaming mode which is why I use edge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Manky posted:

I cannot emphasize enough how many options you have, in Discover alone you have lots of standalone emulators and a few alternate multisystem emulators. Of course it does depend somewhat on which libretro cores you're using but I just generally recommend people frustrated with RA to try using the standalone programs where available.
Yeah, but how many of them are controller-friendly in their menus? And how many of them work well with Emulation Station/Steam ROM Manager?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

RA kinda sucks and I wish it wasn't basically the only option for emulation on the Deck.
It isn't though.

I use Dolphin for GC/Wii and Mednafen (Mednaffe frontend) for everything else.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jokes posted:

I have problems with Firefox in gaming mode which is why I use edge.
Yeah, but I use Firefox on my desktop and have all my bookmarks and stuff synced to it, I think I'll just keep switching over to desktop mode on the rare occasion it's necessary to browse the web on my Deck. I mostly use it to play video games anyways.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
No wait on these things now. I ordered one the other day and it already shipped.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Commander Keene posted:

I mostly use it to play video games anyways.

mods?!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I dived into a few "unsupported" games scrolling my library. Midnight Club 2 is a nightmare and even the community control layouts aren't great, probably better off emulating the PS2 version. Grid 3 Complete however is perfect, the game defaults to 640x480 but does support 1280x800 and runs perfectly right out of the box once you've made that change. Worth a look if you got those before they were delisted.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

At first I was extremely upset about the fact that the Deck runs at a low resolution. It somehow looks very good at that resolution anyways, it must be ebcause the screen is so small. I would hope the next one is able to run 1080p and has a slightly larger screen which would really allow the pixel density to do work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want it to have an OLED version of exactly the same resolution and dimensions because you can put settings surprisingly high at that resolution and still get good results from the trusty APU. If they moved to 1080 it would need to come along with an upgraded APU and then it would burn more battery, so you’re looking at more weight (or more expensive battery tech).

The Deck hit an amazing sweet spot of display quality properties, processor performance and power draw, battery capacity, price, size, and weight. I’m sure it wasn’t an accident, and while there might be other sweet spots to be found, I wouldn’t want them to unbalance things just to claim a higher resolution.

At the same time, they could certainly use a touchscreen that wasn’t painfully slow and calibrated by a clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Snackmar posted:

Plex works - you can install the client in desktop mode and then add it to Steam for use in gaming mode

Funny, I was never able to get it to work so I've committed to using it through browser (...which I've never actually done anyway but most of the fun is setting poo poo up to never use it, right?). It always hung up when I would try to click sign in and I never got farther.