Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is very annoying sometimes that people seem to assume that being left leaning means you're a fan of tolerance and respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Would love a movie with the T-800 being sent back in time to cancel your grandparents for not being trans allies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The T3RF can't form complex ideas. Hormones and surgery have chemicals in them, moving parts. It doesn't work that way, but it can form solid metal takes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The T3RF can't form complex ideas. Hormones and surgery have chemicals in them, moving parts. It doesn't work that way, but it can form solid metal takes.

:perfect:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My lad’s group want me to say an enormous thank you to Owlfancier who stepped in and incredibly generously bought them a new fridge. This is going to make a massive difference, especially with it being Christmas baking season

Owlfancier saved Christmas basically.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

learnincurve posted:

My lad’s group want me to say an enormous thank you to Owlfancier who stepped in and incredibly generously bought them a new fridge. This is going to make a massive difference, especially with it being Christmas baking season

Owlfancier is a very good egg

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

learnincurve posted:

Sometimes this thread is the best. Most of the time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

learnincurve posted:

Santa Owl :D

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ah Owly you legend, that’s such a good thing to do. You’re a good person mate :)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier Top Fancier.

I'll even admit I have wrong warhammer vidyagaming opinions for that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 29, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

omg it's truuuue

https://twitter.com/greggsofficial

I actually might be tempted by the slippers if that lining isn't the crappy polyester that sets my eczema on fire.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

learnincurve posted:

Wow, that's such a generous thing to do! Lovely Owl

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

:toot: excellent stuff

Runcible Cat posted:

omg it's truuuue
I'd bet they're just Greggs branded Primark clothing, I got some Greggs socks last year.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

forkboy84 posted:

Owlfancier is a very good egg

:emptyquote:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Owl you big softy :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I was trying to keep it quiet but you are welcome. Seems wrong that for want of that money people should go hungry and I've had a busy year at work so had some put away. I'm glad they got it sorted.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
OwlFancier? More like... Mr Good oval office!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Truly the fanciest owl! Good job there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a way to set up a recurring monthly sub to the solidarity fund? I'd like to chip in, but I'm too disorganised to remember to put in monthly payments manually.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The truth is, Owl, we all knew you were all right the whole time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gonzo McFee posted:

It seems to be the line the Qatar defenders are going for.

https://twitter.com/jamessmithPT_/status/1597476426680127488

Progress is happening, and always for the better. Gay rights came about naturally and with no hard fought victories over a state and Press that responded in violent and homophobic attacks. And there are no cases where those hard fought victories are under attack constantly from people once thought progressive. We must take the Star Trek approach and leave people to manage things on their own. Unless you can make money off of them, in which case fill your boots and gently caress the poofs.
I feel like this person is denigrating the lived experiences of British grandparents, who are suffering under the terribly oppressive cancel culture of their grandchildren.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

But trans people are people too, right? Right?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/29/leicester-and-birmingham-are-uk-first-minority-majority-cities-census-reveals

quote:

England and Wales are now minority Christian countries, according to the 2021 census, which also shows that Leicester and Birmingham have become the first UK cities to have “minority majorities”.

The census revealed a 5.5 million drop in the number of Christians and a 44% rise in the number of people following Islam. It is the first time in a census of England and Wales that less than half of the population have described themselves as “Christian”.

Looking forward to all the gufuffing over this from the gammons.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Is London not minority majority? I just assumed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big number of christians gone, big percentage of muslims in, maximum scary

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

Truly the fanciest owl! Good job there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cool, time to disestablish the CofE and get rid of the Majles College of Cardinals hat people in the lords then.

Freudian posted:

Is London not minority majority? I just assumed.
London, Leicester, and Protestant Ulster are the only places with any British people left.

Everywhere else got full of English people from Jutland etc. That is a disgrace!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm catching up on the thread after a couple days away and my heart sank when I saw the news about Twisto. I think we all had a bad feeling about his absence but it's awful to see our worst fears confirmed. He was an all-time King of Posting and seemed to be a really good guy in general. I was honestly surprised (though also very sad) to find out he was only in his forties - the sheer breadth of knowledge he possessed and regularly shared with us was genuinely astonishing, but he also had that kind of comforting old-man-wisdom that made him feel more like a well-loved thread uncle or dad.

I'll really miss him.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there a way to set up a recurring monthly sub to the solidarity fund? I'd like to chip in, but I'm too disorganised to remember to put in monthly payments manually.

Hopefully Maugrim will pop in and confirm but I believe it's just a bank account so you should be able to set up a standing order

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

learnincurve posted:

This, though, this is amazing. Owlie you're an absolute legend and a model of solidarity and comradeship. Maximum respect to you.

You're a bunch of wonderful people, and while I know I've not been the best of posters recently and a bit of a moany dick, I really do appreciate you all and this community

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Cool, time to disestablish the CofE and get rid of the Majles College of Cardinals hat people in the lords then.

London, Leicester, and Protestant Ulster are the only places with any British people left.

Everywhere else got full of English people from Jutland etc. That is a disgrace!

loving Edinburgh letting Scotland down AGAIN. Less Scottish than the deeply Tory Borders. SHAME. Aberdeen too but I have less of an instinctual hatred of Aberdeen.

Time to make Glasgow a capital Scotland can be proud of

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

This just reminded me of an encounter I had with a customer of ours. I work in the local pharmacy. One time I was off work, in the Tesco Express, just looking for a discounted sandwich at the end of day, as you do. This lady joined me there and said hello. 70ish, a bit sharp-toned but never struck me as a customer I'd dread seeing. We chatted a bit and then she said "Do you know, I was in town the other day and I think I was the only English face on the street!" And then she did that thing racists do where they look at you expectantly because you're white as well, so surely you are racist too. I stared at the yoghurts and said something like "Huh, I'm not sure I'd notice that." She stuttered and started to get flustered and I just refused to either row with her or agree, just constant mild "Well I'm just not sure it would bother me" or "I'm not sure how I'd even know". Eventually I found what I wanted and just said bye and left.

Two weeks later, when I'd just about forgotten, I was walking to work one afternoon and she was coming the other way, and swerved away from her companion to point at me and say furiously "Anyway, I *married* an Italian!" and then storm away.

So she told me, I suppose.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
How would she even know he was Italian

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is just fantastic

https://twitter.com/JolyonRubs/status/1597567637063880706

:allears:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Always amusing how only Londoners seem to consider British as their national identity. You're allowed to be English, it's not illegal yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to hope that you have been living rent free in her head the entirety of the intervening time.

But god yes the weird conspiratorial "hello fellow whitey let me tell you all of my racist thoughts" thing is endlessly bizzare. Especially when people do it after they've known you for a bit and it's like they were just waiting for you to seem normal enough that obviously you would want to hear about their opinion on the foreign devils who are everywhere and conspiring against us.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Beats me! Her surname isn't Italian but I suppose that doesn't really mean anything.

...it's Irish

I suppose I would say I'm English but my national identity is British. I don't exactly consider myself Irish having not lived there, but I was raised with an Irish parent and in very Irish-heavy social surroundings so I don't consider myself *not* Irish either.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HopperUK posted:

, but I was raised with an Irish parent and in very Irish-heavy social surroundings

You can just say "the pub '

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Always amusing how only Londoners seem to consider British as their national identity. You're allowed to be English, it's not illegal yet.
There's at least three different types of British there, the "Ulster shall remain" British and the "not a fan of these National Front twats going around shouting I'm English not" British. And Edinboroughugh.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Cooked pasta once and must be some kind of Catholic because he hasn't divorced her yet.