Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I think the most optimal route is do princess law first through coda 1, including doing all the side quest stuff. Then do Neutral and Chaos, then world back to your coda anchor point and continue. I messed up and did chaos lord first so I will have to full clear chapter 4+coda again as law to setup the rest of the game.

My only concern is getting Cressinda without deathmatching that way. Idk how your chaos frame works out with law completed first.

Granted the reclear is super fast. Summons and being over leveled make short work of maps you’ve cleared already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Chaos frame is tracked by anchor points so it shouldn't follow you like that, at least it was in the PSP version.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Chaos Princess followed by Neutral Princess and then Law Princess. Denim just loves his sister.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

You could save a bit of time by not actually finishing your 4C/4N routes and reloading your latest saved 4L anchor point.

I think there's a trophy locked behind finishing all three routes though, so the completionist in me wont let me not do that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do that, including PotD for your final run through ch4. Just make sure to start your ch4 Law clear from the final anchor point in ch3 Law, otherwise it will still use the N/C ch3 ending.

Both options would probably take close to the same amount of time / battles, but doing PotD in ch4 before coda2 gives you the option to farm Blackmoor later if you want without having to do more world state fuckery. Also you get to recruit more characters from the other routes :v:

Yeah, I suppose I might as well just knock out the other paths. I'm not looking forward to the Cressida stuff but otherwise most battles should be butts easy. If I do have to re-do Chapter 4 law from the beginning, at least level sync will be off and I can just Autobattle through everything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

I think there's a trophy locked behind finishing all three routes though, so the completionist in me wont let me not do that.

Yeah, I suppose I might as well just knock out the other paths. I'm not looking forward to the Cressida stuff but otherwise most battles should be butts easy. If I do have to re-do Chapter 4 law from the beginning, at least level sync will be off and I can just Autobattle through everything.
You also get a shortcut on replays of Hanging Gardens (and iirc, Heim too?) so there's that

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Levantine posted:

When doing 4N, don't forget to go get Cerya and Ehlrig. I think you can get Cerya on chaos too, but Ehlrig is bad only available on 4N.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 29, 2022

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

When doing 4N, don't forget to go get Cerya and Ehlrig. I think you can get Cerya on chaos too, but Ehlrig is bad only available on 4N.

Guess what I forgot to do before worlding away

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What's the point of crossbows? They seem inferior to bows in every way when you factor in the amazing range and targeting flexibility of bows. Half the time I have a crossbow user deployed, their shot is being blocked by an ally or is 1 tile out of range.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cerya automatically joins in 3C.

Cephas posted:

What's the point of crossbows? They seem inferior to bows in every way when you factor in the amazing range and targeting flexibility of bows. Half the time I have a crossbow user deployed, their shot is being blocked by an ally or is 1 tile out of range.

No arc, which means they can shoot up at people above you more reliably. Also they have different weapons and stats and skills which may or may not be what you're looking to add to your party.

Also, importantly, Canopus as a Vartan can use (I think) all crossbows, but can't use 2-h bows.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 29, 2022

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Crossbows have an indirect AoE for their 2nd finisher, that's one perk. I think they tend to hit a bit harder too, to compensate for being less flexible about arcs and range.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Crossbow is Canopus’s one true weapon

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cephas posted:

Better finishers, better when you're downhill, better availability

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I've never played the PSP remake, how does the CODA/anchor point system work?

Is it just replaying branches or do I get to combine all the L/N/C path unique units into one army?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You do get to combine all characters into an army after everything, and then do stuff with it (CODA/POTD).

Yes this means Denam gets all 4 sisters and Ravness and Arycelle and Catiua and Oz in his party.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

WarpedLichen posted:

So I've never played the PSP remake, how does the CODA/anchor point system work?

Is it just replaying branches or do I get to combine all the L/N/C path unique units into one army?

CODA is just the name given to the post game quests added to the PSP version.

The World/Anchor Point stuff is like this:

You can just hop around with your current army to different points on the timeline and make different choices. So like, for example, instead of replaying all of Chapter 1 again to get to the branch point, you hop to the Anchor Point right near the end, fight a few battles and make your choice at Balmamusa.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
maybe i should make a beeline to finish my first route, the more i unlock, recipes, areas etc.. the longer on the tooth this game gets
I dont even need money now, I need tons of materials to make all these new gear

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
How does replaying other routes play like? Does it mostly breeze through, or does the challenge maintain throughout?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Supremezero posted:

Better finishers, better when you're downhill, better availability

counter point: 3rd bow finisher can Charm targets. Great for "you could be frustrating on your upcoming turn. Go be frustrating to the enemy instead" situations. While I still think Archers are pretty handicapped by the damage calculations, I'm more and more pleased that I have Canopus and one of my Winged Rune Fencers using bows.

also, in my experience, crossbows are only marginally better at firing up than bows. Frequently, in the maps where you would be fighting a literal uphill battle, the map is either steep (such that ledges are enough to block crossbow shots) or there are buildings or other obstacles. Bows' advantages (arcs and shooting out of range) are just more easy to use than crossbows'.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Crossbows might do more damage against armored enemies. I'd hope so anyways, since that the entire point of one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They scale but earlier missions are just easier for reasons other than numbers, like unit composition and builds and maps and stuff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NullBlack posted:

counter point: 3rd bow finisher can Charm targets. Great for "you could be frustrating on your upcoming turn. Go be frustrating to the enemy instead" situations. While I still think Archers are pretty handicapped by the damage calculations, I'm more and more pleased that I have Canopus and one of my Winged Rune Fencers using bows.

Counter counter point: 3rd crossbow finisher can Stop targets.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Crossbows might do more damage against armored enemies. I'd hope so anyways, since that the entire point of one.

There's one in the midgame that does blunt damage instead of piercing, so that one does to more damage to armored enemies. There might be another one with the same damage type in the PotD / postgame but I'm not sure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 29, 2022

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Honest Thief posted:

maybe i should make a beeline to finish my first route, the more i unlock, recipes, areas etc.. the longer on the tooth this game gets
I dont even need money now, I need tons of materials to make all these new gear
It has always felt like switching over to a farming game at some point, for better or worse. I think some people really get caught up in the farming rather than just like pushing forward with Coda and making do with what they have, but everyone's different

Hell, Coda was like a 1% of the playerbase experience at some point. Kind of remarkable to see people actually getting into it now. I wonder how many people are just auto battling through it lol

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Battless you haven't done yet force your team to use level scaling so you have an advantage but it's not an absolute stomp.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Defeated Brantyn at Heim and let the people loot, time to recruit a Necromancer and go deep into the Palace of the Dead to fight her dad.

...or maybe I'll do the full Palace only on Law.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Counter counter point: 3rd crossbow finisher can Stop targets.

Counter counter counter* point: Stop is one less enemy while it lasts. Charm is one less enemy and one more ally while it lasts. The number of times the charmed unit has taken out one of his friends for me...
*welcome to Disgaea combat

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

NullBlack posted:

also, in my experience, crossbows are only marginally better at firing up than bows. Frequently, in the maps where you would be fighting a literal uphill battle, the map is either steep (such that ledges are enough to block crossbow shots) or there are buildings or other obstacles. Bows' advantages (arcs and shooting out of range) are just more easy to use than crossbows'.

By the time you get level 3 finishers you have much better sources of charm than the rather fail prone bow finisher. Like your mind focused casters should be approaching 100% with the charm spell, while the only finisher with a solid success rate at charm is Ozma's.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Rascyc posted:

It has always felt like switching over to a farming game at some point, for better or worse. I think some people really get caught up in the farming rather than just like pushing forward with Coda and making do with what they have, but everyone's different

Hell, Coda was like a 1% of the playerbase experience at some point. Kind of remarkable to see people actually getting into it now. I wonder how many people are just auto battling through it lol

honestly, I just let the AI take over phorampa, one path incursion nets me close to 100k

Supremezero posted:

By the time you get level 3 finishers you have much better sources of charm than the rather fail prone bow finisher. Like your mind focused casters should be approaching 100% with the charm spell, while the only finisher with a solid success rate at charm is Ozma's.

in my experience Sara has been charming fools way more than any of the other characters

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I have three Vartans with bows, plus Arycelle, and I can count on one hand the number of times the Charm bow finisher has failed for me.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Supremezero posted:

in my experience, Flaming Blast successfully charms far more often than it fails. And sure, my casters could probably have a better chance of charming; Flaming Blast also does damage. And I don't have Ozma, because I'm doing Law last.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Bow finisher status effects are great with rune fencers because Meditate let's them accumulate the MP for them faster. Bonus points if their elements line up.

My army is toooo big. Even if I Ignore the 8 dragons I have sitting around. And I still can't think of a situation where I actually want a cyclops. But they're like pokemon to me, I gotta catch'em all. I wish we got a unique lizard man because I'm honestly preferring their physical classes over Human.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is there way to tell how much damage a spell does? Like whats the difference between a tier 1 and tier 2 missile spell?

What about these "indirect" spells? Is it just that it doesn't need line of sight to cast (and really weak)?

Also should I change my lvl 14 warrior Denam to a terror knight? He is using a 2h sword right now. Just unlocked crafting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Indirect spells are a bit weaker than missile spells, and more expensive, but the higher ranks (2+) are also AoE spells.

I used a generic Terror Knight a fair bit and had good success with them. They're tanky and Fearful Impact / Lament of the Dead provides good defensive utility when you want to hobble a target. They're not on the offensive side though. I actually kept my Denam as a Warrior the whole time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

people talking about bows or crossbows.... I just shoot people with guns. I w
Even made Canopus a buccaneer so he can join in roo!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got Cressida, time to go into the early Palace levels to get Wicce Deneb. Then I guess it's the endgae and CODA and WORLD.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
if i wanna make a Divine Knight, will it be better off if i make a generic into a Skeleton then DK it, or just grab a Skeleton from San Bronsa itself and skip the extra step?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
In the PSP version, it was better to convert a character because of the skill system. Here, you're probably better off recruiting a phantom to do it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I uh.. don't know if I care for the Princess class very much. Maybe it's just kind of early and it hasn't taken off, but I'm thinking I might actually like the priest class more? I don't know. Without spare classmarks I don't want to experiment.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Princess definitely came into it's own for me when i realized you can give her the Brynhildr and have her become a pretty effective jack of all trades melee/caster. it's not gonna be the best at any of those things, but it does get a decent Light spell selection, and Holy Water is a super handy skill once you start diving into the POTD

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

War Wizard posted:

I uh.. don't know if I care for the Princess class very much. Maybe it's just kind of early and it hasn't taken off, but I'm thinking I might actually like the priest class more? I don't know. Without spare classmarks I don't want to experiment.

I'm pretty sure her Lucky Star skill is good. It's kind of hard to tell but it does seem to have a noticeable effect on auto skill procs and knockbacks(and I assume other things?). I just set her up as a pure caster and have her hang back making sure the other mages don't miss too many meditates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

With the skill changes in Reborn, is there any real point to Body Swap?