Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I'm kind of surprised by how bad the stats are on 3BR Mishra (50.8% GIH WR)

It seems like it should be pretty powerful in the right deck, I can only assume it's tricking people into playing it in the wrong decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

quite stretched out posted:

i appreciate the advice but i dont think it matters really when i come up against one flood out match and then someone who managed to draft at least 4x of the guy who gets +1/+1 at the start of your upkeep if you have a full graveyard

e: this sounds dismissive but i didnt intend it to be. it definitely reinforces what i have come to understand about the format from listening to podcasts etc, which is DMU was harder to pick a line but easier to deckbuild in, but this set is easier to think you have a deck while youre drafting only to struggle building a deck out of the pile you end up with

e2: i think because deckbuilding is harder more casual drafters like myself are dropping off faster, or at any rate its taking a lot longer to fill tables generally

Gixian skullflayer isn't even that good of a card, aggro decks should be able to overrun then pretty easily. The problem was you're playing mostly aggro cards but no 2-drops and a really ill-advised splash means that you won't be able to open up with that early pressure. It can be tempting to throw up your hands and say "nothing to be done" about your losses but I assure you that if you put in the work and build focused + consistent decks, your opponents will magically start having less of those unbeatable draws.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Expectation: "this is going to be so cool when I unearth this 10/10 for 1RB!"
Reality: you can't cast it for 10, you can't cast it for 3GG, you have no way to discard it. you have a completely blank card in your deck

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It seems like it should be pretty powerful in the right deck, I can only assume it's tricking people into playing it in the wrong decks

It's because it requires you to untap to really make use of it, unless your goal was a 4 CMC drain effect assuming your opponent has no instant speed removal before you declare attackers.

I've pulled off the dragon engine meld in one game exactly once and it didn't really affect the game outcome. It's decent if you already have a board presence but definitely feels "win more"

e: oh whoops wrong Mishra. The 3BR version is decent, but like many highcost creatures, doesn't really affect the board enough in a meaningful way once resolved. Ward: Sac permanent on everything is decent but it's not really enough to change the game in most situations and really only nets you +1 card advantage

Someday soon a gross unearth artifact deck will come along and make me eat my words tho

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 29, 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Could see some deck with self-discard Phyrexian Portal -> 3BR Mishra -> unearth Portal, but that just seems like a worse Invoke Justice

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

When i've seen opponents play it there's often the problem that rb's good cards are non-artifact creatures, and the artifacts it wants to play tend to have unearth already. So there's a pretty narrow range of cards that it actually plays well with. Also it's a 5 mana 4/4 until you untap with it so there's always the counterplay of alpha striking into it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah 5 mana mishra hasnt been particularly impressive for me when ive played it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Expectation: "this is going to be so cool when I unearth this 10/10 for 1RB!"
Reality: you can't cast it for 10, you can't cast it for 3GG, you have no way to discard it. you have a completely blank card in your deck

Unearth Mishra seems very good but I fell into almost this exact trap lmao. The hing that lost the final match for me though was just forgetting that if I Pyrrhic Blast in main phase I can still swing with the thing in combat after Unearthing, i got stuck on using Blast at instant speed after the thing I wanted to fling was blocked.

It was OK but it wasn't outstanding, and the ward effect is great if you have the bigger board but you're playing rakdos, you probably don't.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

precision posted:

Yeah I think the floor has to be a 0/1 that makes a stone. Even "draw 1, make a stone" feels pretty bad

I think the floor is basically:

W - target creature gains indestructible, make a stone

U - scry 1, draw 1, make stone

B - target creature gets -1/-1, make a stone

R - 1 damage to any target, make a stone

G - 1/1 dork and stone

1 - 0/1 wall and stone

Going out on a limb here and saying making opt give you a power stone would be way too good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The green one is also kind of nuts too lol.

I think it’s pretty hard to price Powerstones fairly while also making them playable and not broken. Like a more extreme version of tacking lifegain onto stuff.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Can anyone give some suggestions for the explorer deck. Game plan is simple cast a prototype swing until it is about to die then rebirth for the full cmc. Problem is that it loses to everything, elves, spirits, UW control, rakdos, loving gates.
With an ideal 3 land, thoughseize, fatal push, rebirth and gorger hand I feel like I am most 50% favoured to win. There just isn't enough going on to either get ahead and close out the game or to mess with my opponents plans.

Deck
4 Malakir Rebirth (ZNR) 111
18 Swamp (BRO) 273
4 Undying Malice (VOW) 134
4 Goring Warplow (BRO) 120
4 Phyrexian Fleshgorger (BRO) 121
4 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
4 Fatal Push (KLR) 84
3 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
3 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
4 Ashnod's Harvester (BRO) 117
2 Village Rites (M21) 126
2 Cut Down (DMU) 89
3 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fridge corn posted:

Junkyard genius definitely worth splashing for. Card has performed insanely well for me

It felt absolutely awful trying to get Genius out in my first game with a swamp and two pieces of clunky fixing, even though it didn't come late and I was already flooding out I still wasn't able to cast it lol

I feel like I need to slow roll, going 0-3 0-3 was what broke me in DMU and I was recently feeling relatively good about this set lol

I guess in this first game I was being heedlessly aggressive and offering material trades against bg which was gonna value me out, i guess I should be focusing on building up the board and if I can't get in with destiny then having a big board to genius menace with is my only real wincon

Edit: 0-2, being completely destroyed by value decks, so many arbalest engineers. also I was color screwed after a mull to 6. both games my draconic destiny has been blanked by exile removal, what a lame mythic lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 29, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

The green one is also kind of nuts too lol.

I think it’s pretty hard to price Powerstones fairly while also making them playable and not broken. Like a more extreme version of tacking lifegain onto stuff.

Yea once you get down to 1 or two mana, the cards start to have modern/legacy/vintage implications where there's affinity, mox opal etc. that get problematic with more accelerants

there's a reason that powerstones are capped at three mana (with the one exception being a two mana creature where a removal spell kills both the creature and the powerstone)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao, I correctly read they had whirling strike in hand but my galaxy brain didn't take into account "oh junkyard +1/+0 global pump and they can do it multiple times")

0-3, feel like absolute poo poo, with this slump i am now sub-60% (67-46 59.29%) maybe I should go trad

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, powerstones are just there to let you cast big cool giant robots in draft, they're not supposed to be constructed playable, so they can't really cost less than 3 without a drawback. I think the huge cost activated abelites came later in design to make use of powerstones if you don't have any/enough big cool giant robots

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Went 7-1 with an absolute dream of a mon-red deck. P1P1 Thran Spider, P1P2 Steel Exemplar (which was really amazing), P1P3 Sardian Cliffstomper. P3P1 was only pick that was hard. It was between Autonomous Assembler, Obliterating Bolt and Sardian Cliffstomper. Because I had the self-assembler I went with the autonomous, which did help it in the game I drew it, but never got to fetch and play it. The cliffstomper did wheel, which was what I was hoping for. Bitter Reunion was consistently very good, maybe I should have played the other. Getting rid of lands, and later letting me hit with 6+ haste. Wish my curve was better and more 4 drops, but it was a very funny deck.

Bonus, double cliffstomper in action:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao, I correctly read they had whirling strike in hand but my galaxy brain didn't take into account "oh junkyard +1/+0 global pump and they can do it multiple times")

0-3, feel like absolute poo poo, with this slump i am now sub-60% (67-46 59.29%) maybe I should go trad

i know it's always fallen on deaf ears but take a break and when you get back to it slow down your play and think through all your moves. also stop hyperfocusing on winrate.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I am being a scumbag and waiting for the de-rank and a week or so after it to play BO1 again. This set is going well for me trad-wise. Only a few trophies, but I have like a 60% game win rate and 70% match win rate. Sadly this doesn't mean more trophies because those losses are usually against the same opponent and I get a 2-1 at best. My first drafts were awful too, going 1-2 four times before I hit my stride. I am doing much better in BRO than DOM, and likely to do the best out of all the sets since I started drafting in MID.

Also, Mid-Week Magic being Jump In is great low-stress daily win fodder. Lovely!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 29, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i missed the stream today, does anyone have the cards that were revealed for alchemy and explorer? i heard we're getting mutavault

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

i missed the stream today, does anyone have the cards that were revealed for alchemy and explorer? i heard we're getting mutavault

Mutavault, Reflector Mage, Thought-Knot Seer, Wastes

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jump In event today. Took way too long to crank out 3 wins due to opponents constantly roping out. This is like 4 out of the last 5 of these events where I've had this problem - is anyone else running into this issue, or am I just unlucky?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love how literally every time I top deck something that lets me win, my opponent's only card in hand is the exact answer to said card

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Another draft for interested parties. I have been hitting at least 3 wins in my last few drafts so yay.
https://www.17lands.com/draft/dff839cd3bfa475e912afccdbd3fd3ad
P1p2 potentially most powerful card imo
P1p10 didn’t consider myself really in red here
P2p1 giddy up U-turn

Feel deck is crutching hard on rares and steelseeker to win games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Interesting, based on the first pack I probably would have leaned green-white and then Skystrike into Tactician would have locked me into UW soldiers. I am also wary of taking Steel Exemplar unless I know I'm basically monocolor

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
about to try something incredibly stupid in BRO draft:

its like im gaming in 1994

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I went 6-3 with a Howling Mine/Stalwart deck, it was good, I also got extra value out of it with Mightstone's Animation

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Well! This Jump In! event has kinda made me excited about Jump In! Maybe it's because I drew a fun combination? I didn't experience much roping.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
jump in is real fun, the issue is usually that people who have light collections or just want to grind winds tend to keep and continue running OP combinations instead of retiring the deck and rolling a new one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have "embraced tradition"

Event #18

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3a725c4973e04b78a8bd95775eb3e194

This felt real tricky. First pick Skystrike, I tried to keep the mindset that it didn't demand UW soldiers or even U at all since it was splashable and contains its own synergy -- i picked some stoneseekers that I couldn't end up playing. But I ended up leaning towards UW picks -- it felt like those colors were being cut (all I kept getting was medics lol) but at the same time it didn't feel like there was anything great in the other colors either.

I got bailed out by a few choice picks at the start of P3. Couple of cool synergies here? The Dream to Live is copying Adaptive Automaton for triple buffs. Hmm do I play any of the artifacts in the sideboard... the Powerblade rears its drat head again

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 1, 2022

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Jump In! Is fun. I was mildly disappointed (not really it was free) to find that its phantom because I drew Soldiers and it had a bunch of cards I wanted.

I played the crap out of the old Jumpstart when it had exclusive lands.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

little munchkin posted:

Gixian skullflayer isn't even that good of a card, aggro decks should be able to overrun then pretty easily. The problem was you're playing mostly aggro cards but no 2-drops and a really ill-advised splash means that you won't be able to open up with that early pressure. It can be tempting to throw up your hands and say "nothing to be done" about your losses but I assure you that if you put in the work and build focused + consistent decks, your opponents will magically start having less of those unbeatable draws.

i did pull out the splash per advice but yeah. i think first starting to draft in DMU made me lazy when it comes to more fundamentals like really focusing on what the deck is trying to do and what the format can really support

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

thespaceinvader posted:

'draw a card' tacked on to something else is usually worth 1ish, Pyrrhic Blast is a little overcosted for a normal set but this isn't a normal set it's a set where there is a 10/10 common and most decks will have some 6-10-power creatures.

the annoying part here is that I am still playing UR Jinn-y things because I haven't had as much time to sit down and burn through my dozen draft tokens or so and would love to have cheap Fling shenanigans to pair with Seize The Storm tokens

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A big flaming stink posted:

Godspeed.

I don't recall the original Howling Mine having that tapped clause -- was that a revision, and if so why?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Howling Mine was printed when "Continuous vs Mono Artifacts" was a thing, continuous artifacts rule-wise only worked when they were untapped

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Well! This Jump In! event has kinda made me excited about Jump In! Maybe it's because I drew a fun combination? I didn't experience much roping.

Jump in is the worst trash format WotC has ever subjected anyone to.

I'm skipping the midweek magic, for the first time in ages.

The problem is that well over half of the decks you can assemble are just plain useless, and you don't have all that much control. All the bad sides of Momir with none of the good.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

endlessmonotony posted:

Jump in is the worst trash format WotC has ever subjected anyone to.

I'm skipping the midweek magic, for the first time in ages.

The problem is that well over half of the decks you can assemble are just plain useless, and you don't have all that much control. All the bad sides of Momir with none of the good.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The u/w counters jump in deck is absolute garbage. It has 3 ways of putting counters on creatures. The u Urza deck might be worse do not recommend.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Come to think of it, Momir Basic with just the Arena card pool would be easy to implement and a refreshing, higher-power (on average) remix.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Just 0-3’ed with a decent BG deck. Game 1 was a severe mana screw. Game 2 was a flood and my opponent was UW soldiers with a nut draw. Game 3 was a mana screw again.

I also coincidentally never saw my spider or my mask in all 3 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

A big flaming stink posted:

I have a similar Stalwart/Mine deck in a Green/Black trad I drafted (1-0 so far) but only one Stalwart, so it seems super high risk to do it. I am just going to let the meme be a dream and play a proper Golgari graveyard deck. Maybe. We'll see. If I lose a match I'll go YOLO for my 2-1.