Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
this is the stuff i like to see

https://twitter.com/TheGildedJester/status/1597429175778172928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think Lafreniere has + Hands/Shooting/Hockey sense. Maybe not elite (yet) in any of those but above average for the NHL. You'd probably want something elite in the package for a #1 pick though, I'd agree. Seems like he's profiling more along the lines of RNH which is still very valuable.

Hughes was a bit in the same boat his first couple of years. We all loved his skating but I think a lot of people had questions about whether his brain/physicality would hold him back. I still worry about him but it's more of a "please don't get crunched in the corner" again kind of thing at this point.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 29, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Iodised QQ posted:

Watching that full game last night and just comparing the Devils' rebuild to the Rangers. Both started around the same general time frame and both teams just won the lottery constantly and I hate them both for it. I feel like the non-lottery core of the Rangers is better than the Devils, but the Devils got two players worthy of their draft status who are now carrying their team and the Rangers got...Laf and Kakko

Kakko has the fancy stats and can show stretches of being strong on the puck and good in the corners but doesn't generate many points and has a pretty weak shot. But at least he has a skill that can be pointed to as something to watch develop. But what can Laf do? I watch them pretty often and I just don't see any plus skills whatsoever and have no idea how he was a #1 overall pick. Even when I'm actively looking for him he has so many games where he does literally nothing until he takes some dumb stick penalty in the o zone late as his only contribution to the game.

I watched young John Tavares get a lot of poo poo because he entered the league with his only plus skills being more intangible like his hockey iq and having good hands, but he was too slow and weak to use them often in space. But you saw flashes of potential and how he'd often position himself really well for easy goals as a rookie.

He still got a lot of heat from places like the Toronto media who questioned if he had any dynamic ability to his game, but every offseason he would target one particular skill and just hammer it for months and you'd see vast improvements year to year. One offseason was skating. He'll never be a burner, but he went from an awful rookie skater to an average skater in year 2. Then it was his shot, faceoffs, etc etc. You'd see the year to year improvement and potential where if it came together he could be that poor man's Crosby grinder style kinda player. And that's exactly what he became.

I just haven't seen anything like that from Laf at all and see no plus skills whatsoever. But he was obviously the consensus #1 for a reason. I'm not trying to bury a 21 year old just yet but is there something I'm missing with him?

he has elite hockey sense. that’s really it. it’s concerning that he really hasn’t developed much since he’s come into the league. he’s not noticeably faster or a better shooter or anything, he’s just the same guy who has a knack for finishing. which got him a lot of even strength goals last year, but that’s not gonna make him a legit top line guy.

Kakko has evolved into a legit two way beast and has been our best 5v5 forward. Laf can’t really do poo poo away from the puck and seems very lazy both mentally and physically.

would have been nice if our #1/#2 picks were Crosby/Malkin but Kakko will be a good top line forwards for a while and could be dominant if he improves his finishing. with his other skill development I can see that happening. Laf…I dunno. he needs to start going on steroids.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Laf is funny too, because he was the overwhelming consensus first overall pick in what appears to be the one of the best first rounds in the past 5 years. Outside of him, you've already got Stutzle, Raymond, Sanderson, Drysdale, Quinn, Perfetti, Lundell, Jarvis, Guhle, and Mercer not just playing in the NHL, but playing legitimate minutes, many of them on playoff teams, and thriving in those minutes. What made Laf such an obvious choice at 1OA over those guys?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bub spank posted:

What made Laf such an obvious choice at 1OA over those guys?

112 points in 52 games + 6'1

Who would you definitely take over him from that group right now though? Stutzle? I'm not sure I'd trade him straight up for anyone else mentioned. Maybe Sanderson if he keeps it up. I'm not convinced Raymond is a better player, he just gets way more opportunity on Detroit.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 29, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

Who would you definitely take over him from that group right now though? Stutzle? I'm not sure I'd trade him straight up for anyone else mentioned. Maybe Sanderson if he keeps it up. I'm not convinced Raymond is a better player, he just gets way more opportunity on Detroit.

I'd pick Stutzle over him for sure, in hindsight, and I wouldn't think twice about it. Even if Lafreniere ends up turning a corner and being the player he was "supposed" to be, I think Stutzle is in the same tier as him.

Agreed on Sanderson and Raymond. Another guy I'd consider is Jamie Drysdale. He flies a little under the radar I think since he plays in Anaheim, which is a mess, but he's been a top-pairing defenseman in the NHL since he was 18. Part of that is because Anaheim is bad, but part of it is that he's good enough to do it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Drysdale is a great skater and I think he'll be good but didn't he struggle mightily with those big minutes?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Part of that is being a teenager in the NHL with no real support, I think. I mean long term I think he could be a better player than Laf, if trends continue.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I love Mercer but I'd absolutely trade him for Laf. Laf would probably light it the gently caress up with Bratt or Hughes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1597674988806414336

No way to prevent this says person who can prevent it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Matt Zerella posted:

it's very important that he be in there to suck and try to cause concussions.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Going to the Flames game tonight and hoping that the Flames decide to not be utter dogcrap for one night.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Looking back at what people were saying about Laf, outside of the amount of points he put up, he had excellent stickhandling and playmaking. He also had a great WJC. The big questions were his speed/skating.

It's a bit of a mystery why he's struggling so much, because while he didn't read like a generational talent, he had all the makings for a great player in the NHL.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hope Matt Tkachuck slewfoots someone and then beers rain down on his head. And then Sam Bennett scores the game winner.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Looking back at what people were saying about Laf, outside of the amount of points he put up, he had excellent stickhandling and playmaking. He also had a great WJC. The big questions were his speed/skating.

It's a bit of a mystery why he's struggling so much, because while he didn't read like a generational talent, he had all the makings for a great player in the NHL.

In fairness it is still early in his career. Who knows how his fortunes change in another year or two or with a new coach who uses him more.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Laferniere has produced as a second line centre since he came into the league at even strength. He's borderline this year, but his OIsh% is pretty low. He's been fine, just not a world beater.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

T-Bone posted:

I'd definitely take Stutzle, Sanderson, Lundell, and Raymond over him. I think Lundell flies under the radar a bit in Florida, but he's produced almost as many points as Lafreniere in 70 less games and plays a more important position.

I'd probably also take Jarvis and Drysdale over him, partly because they've outperformed him so far, and partly because of their respective positions.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Matt Zerella posted:

Wonder if this is why Las Vegas had some pretty incredible amount of injuries and man games lost through the end of Gallant's tenure and continuing into last year.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 29, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Simplex posted:

I would argue Dallas is in the honeymoon phase of the Peter DeBoer experience. They'll be fun and exciting this year, and then next year everyone will die, and you'll be wondering why they don't have any better ideas on offense than Jason Robertson shooting puck from the corner.

I can't blame DeBoer for us being stuck with Ryan Suter, but I can blame him for the team having an actual offense again.

It might be a honeymoon period, and frankly I don't care.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Raymond plays harder minutes and puts up more points, it's no contest unless you start talking about intagibles

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

I can't blame DeBoer for us being stuck with Ryan Suter, but I can blame him for the team having an actual offense again.

It might be a honeymoon period, and frankly I don't care.

Yeah, I expected the Stars to be right in the sadness zone fighting for a bubble spot, so this is all gravy. I dgaf about next season let's ride this poo poo into the finals, baby!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Re: Devils vs. Rags rebuilds I think it's also a relatively new thing to peg Nico as a success as a No. 1 pick. Part of that has just been injuries, but he got taken over Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersson and that didn't even really look explicable until recently. With Hughes' struggles you could also at least still see the elite skill. Nico it was less obvious what the value prop was.

Of course, the discourse that draft year was the choice between him and Nolan Patrick which lol.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Iodised QQ posted:

Watching that full game last night and just comparing the Devils' rebuild to the Rangers. Both started around the same general time frame and both teams just won the lottery constantly and I hate them both for it. I feel like the non-lottery core of the Rangers is better than the Devils, but the Devils got two players worthy of their draft status who are now carrying their team and the Rangers got...Laf and Kakko

Kakko has the fancy stats and can show stretches of being strong on the puck and good in the corners but doesn't generate many points and has a pretty weak shot. But at least he has a skill that can be pointed to as something to watch develop. But what can Laf do? I watch them pretty often and I just don't see any plus skills whatsoever and have no idea how he was a #1 overall pick. Even when I'm actively looking for him he has so many games where he does literally nothing until he takes some dumb stick penalty in the o zone late as his only contribution to the game.

I watched young John Tavares get a lot of poo poo because he entered the league with his only plus skills being more intangible like his hockey iq and having good hands, but he was too slow and weak to use them often in space. But you saw flashes of potential and how he'd often position himself really well for easy goals as a rookie.

He still got a lot of heat from places like the Toronto media who questioned if he had any dynamic ability to his game, but every offseason he would target one particular skill and just hammer it for months and you'd see vast improvements year to year. One offseason was skating. He'll never be a burner, but he went from an awful rookie skater to an average skater in year 2. Then it was his shot, faceoffs, etc etc. You'd see the year to year improvement and potential where if it came together he could be that poor man's Crosby grinder style kinda player. And that's exactly what he became.

I just haven't seen anything like that from Laf at all and see no plus skills whatsoever. But he was obviously the consensus #1 for a reason. I'm not trying to bury a 21 year old just yet but is there something I'm missing with him?

He scored 19 even strength goals last season. That's an incredibly good number.

To me it all comes back to what I said earlier...Laf and Kakko just don't have any clearly defined roles with the team and are just floated around the lineup constantly. The focus is solely on Panarin and Zibanejad and Kreider and the kids are just supposed to figure it out while being shuffled around the lineup.

I think Laf looked pretty good with Panarin earlier, but coach didn't like that so...

I feel like with Hischier and Hughes the goal was always to get them into the spotlight and to be the main go to guys on their team and all efforts went into that. With the Rangers, their high picks have just been put into supporting roles

e: the lack of power play time cannot be understated either. It's impossible to put up high end offensive numbers without power play time in the NHL and Kakko and Laf get maybe 20-30 seconds of each power play if they're lucky and most of that is spent trying to gain the zone because their line change came when the puck was cleared by the other team.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 30, 2022

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Maybe the rangers and those two dudes specifically just aren’t very good.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Laf definitely still needs to improve his skating to get to the next level. As it stands he is very much a complimentary player with a good set of hands. Granted, that's a fine thing to be but he generates next to nothing on his own and doesn't really back-check either

Kakko is also not the best skater in the world but he is just an all around smarter player with and without the puck, is good at picking pockets, and can make a play on his own.

They both surely have more to give but despite the production differences, I still think Kakko tops out as a higher caliber player than Laf, everything else being equal.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Tony DeAngelo ruled day-to-day with an ego bruising

https://twitter.com/fakehockeyteam/status/1597615396479127553

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Avs going to have their 29th and 30th skaters suit up for them this season tonight as well as hit 91 man-games lost due to injury. Really just beat the hell up to start this season.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tony DeAngelo is a piece of poo poo and deserved the rear end kicking.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

The Black Stones posted:

Going to the Flames game tonight and hoping that the Flames decide to not be utter dogcrap for one night.

boo the ever loving poo poo out of Matt Tkachuk for me

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

He scored 19 even strength goals last season. That's an incredibly good number.

To me it all comes back to what I said earlier...Laf and Kakko just don't have any clearly defined roles with the team and are just floated around the lineup constantly. The focus is solely on Panarin and Zibanejad and Kreider and the kids are just supposed to figure it out while being shuffled around the lineup.

I think Laf looked pretty good with Panarin earlier, but coach didn't like that so...

I feel like with Hischier and Hughes the goal was always to get them into the spotlight and to be the main go to guys on their team and all efforts went into that. With the Rangers, their high picks have just been put into supporting roles

e: the lack of power play time cannot be understated either. It's impossible to put up high end offensive numbers without power play time in the NHL and Kakko and Laf get maybe 20-30 seconds of each power play if they're lucky and most of that is spent trying to gain the zone because their line change came when the puck was cleared by the other team.

I think you're onto it.

Normally, top picks like this go to teams that are bad and don't have much talent. The team finds players who fit with them, they give them top ice time and power play time, they get find them good matchups while getting lower-end role players to take the harder matchups. Rangers were in a unique situation where they won two draft lotteries while never really bottoming out - they were 37-28-5 the year they drafted Lafreniere and already had an established superstar (Panarin) and a #1 center who scored 41 goals in 57 games.

Kreider and Zibanejad anchored the first line, Panarin and Strome the second, leaving no chance for Lafreniere to play his natural position with quality players. He either played his off-wing with an established duo, or he played bottom six with a combination of other struggling young players and/or dudes who were barely even NHL players. The top power play unit gets the lion's share of time and talent, with one LW who led the league with 26 PPGs and another with 37 PPPs - if Laf was slotted in for Strome and scored a modern five PPGs last season, I think the narrative would be very different. I can't think of another #1 pick who was so thoroughly blocked from getting both quality ice time and complementary linemates. Add a few power play points to his 10p in 23gp this year and you're looking at a 21-year-old on a 50+ point pace.

Instead, he's getting bounced around in a lineup that was constructed with zero effort to find players he fits with, they simply expected him to find instant chemistry with one of the top two lines then downgraded him to the spare parts heap. This club has made more effort to keep multiple sub-replacement-level enforcers around (Reaves, Tinordi, Harpur) than to find skilled complementary players for the young guys.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Tony DeAngelo is a piece of poo poo and deserved the rear end kicking.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/shutdownline/status/1597781866530095104?s=46&t=bpm-fxYtD7d3wRwaKoAJkw

What an end

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Probably coulda been a penalty but lol at Petry just deciding to mug the Canes player and let them go in on a 2 on 0 to end it.

Carolina deserved to win anyhow so not too broken up about it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

mennoknight posted:

boo the ever loving poo poo out of Matt Tkachuk for me

On it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

fermun posted:

Avs going to have their 29th and 30th skaters suit up for them this season tonight as well as hit 91 man-games lost due to injury. Really just beat the hell up to start this season.

Foudy is a pretty interesting case. His AHL numbers aren't anything special, but he was one of the special Covid cases that was allowed to play in the AHL as an underage player.

Starting from the playoffs last year he's got 21 points in his last 27 AHL games, so he was probably going to get a call up this year pretty much regardless.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Welp, back on the Bedard wagon.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Nice of the Canucks to give Ovi and the boys a confidence boost.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

lol @ a 9-8 game.

Chad Sexington posted:

Nice of the Canucks to give Ovi and the boys a confidence boost.

They're just good sports and are doing their part to ensure Gretzky is eliminated from the record books forever. Happy you snubbed us in 98 now Wayner?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Ovechkin has passed Gretzky for the most road goals of all time!!!!! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

quote:

On the very next shift Tkachuk was booed as soon as he touched the puck.

A new chapter for his book in Calgary – something he knows deep down he’ll have to get used to.

Oh sure, a few people booed him when he had the puck on the game’s opening shift.

But this time the movement had grown.

“I don’t know, passionate fans here,” said Tkachuk, searching for words when asked about the mostly lighthearted boos that were mixed with laughs from a crowd clearly entertained by the novelty of it all.

Was he surprised by the derision?

“Not really,” he shrugged, somewhat uncomfortable with the questioning.

“I’ve basically seen them do it to multiple guys that used to play here throughout the league.

“I don’t know, you guys decide that.”

I’m not mad about being booed. Please write that I was not mad about being booed.