Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GlassElephant posted:

Launching continuous assaults on one of my enemies most heavily fortified positions does not seem like the most efficient way to bleed them. Especially since they don't have the overwhelming advantage in artillery any more. The NYTimes has a recent article about the battle: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/world/europe/ukraine-war-bakhmut.html

It's a good way to attract enemy artillery shells I suppose.

the issue is that most mainstream western news sources have reduced themselves to base propaganda and so are effectively as useful as the wagner guy for gauging what is actually going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Isn't that also another caliber of ammunition to supply adding to the already massive clusterfuck their supply chain must be with the hodgepodge of different weapon system?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1597726539151728641

without what now

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I guess the big deal more than strategic differences is that the Russians are shifting the narratives a bit from what they were 2 weeks ago. Yet, narrative moment flip flops all the time.

That said, I actually very much doubt there is a parity in artillery considering the information that has come out. It is just the Russians are back to their grinding approach.

To me it looks like the Russian side is still throwing auxilaries at Ukrainians while shepherding the army.

All the fighting right now is around DLNR, and it's been going for months non stop.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

speng31b posted:

without what now

they're using old nuclear capable cruise missiles to run soak up air defense missiles. orcish cunning

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

To me it looks like the Russian side is still throwing auxilaries at Ukrainians while shepherding the army.

All the fighting right now is around DLNR, and it's been going for months non stop.

It is still militia and mercenaries on the ground, but usually there are regular army artillery crews behind the lines.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

Very expensive, like a billion dollars a battery and 3 million a missile, and it would give the Russians the opportunity to show it's not as good as America would like people to think.

It costs a several times less than what you are quoting. There are generations out there ranging from ancient (Greece) to being upgraded right now with new stuff (US and a few others).

I bet Ukraine won’t get Patriot (or if they ever do, it’s a year or years away) due to logistical and train-up concerns. Just a beast to maintain, a whole new drill to learn to move it around so it is more survivable, other issues.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

oh, interesting. You don't think Ukrainians are patriotic enough to handle a Patriot missile?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't wait for all the latest strategy games to start featuring a 'narrative' mechanic what with it being so vital

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Can't wait for all the latest strategy games to start featuring a 'narrative' mechanic what with it being so vital

a gameplay mode where you just post while the AIs fight

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Twitter war spectator simulator, bringing you the real western war experience where you have to balance posting against the rising cost of mountain dew and cheetos

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

what is a Patriot Missile Defence System and if Ukraine was given them what would that mean?

Think of a patriot missile system as a baseball bat and residential apartment buildings as a catchers mitt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

supersnowman posted:

Isn't that also another caliber of ammunition to supply adding to the already massive clusterfuck their supply chain must be with the hodgepodge of different weapon system?

Ukraine already uses 7.62x51, they've been moving towards using more NATO calibres for years

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

supersnowman posted:

yeah but it's also an extremely common round and I could see shipping rusty palettes of it to a 3rd world proxy war as being a hip and trendy way of freeing up warehouse space for its sexy new 6.8x51 replacement

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They already needed 7.62x51 for all the pintel mounted FN MAG and MG3 machine guns on their collection of weird French/Australian/whatever armored cars.

One of the pictures early in the war of the reddit brigade had a bunch of FNCs in it, but who the in the world other than like Indonesia (?) even adopted that piece of crap? No surprise no one can find any.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

The same deal as the M101 howitzers: I understand FALs were in storage, and they’re fine, but what happened to all the FNCs?

There are missing generations of stockpiled weapons.

They were all buried in Gladio weapons caches, OP

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I guess nobody cares what some random dude from poland thinks.

Besides Ukrainians, his name barely comes up in english unless I am missing some kind of obvious spelling.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1567498737781456896

https://twitter.com/khpg/status/1597682903722622977

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
... why not aim to strengthen relations with Russia to avoid a war if you don't want it? what is the point of strengthening relations with your "friends" who will just let you bleed to death while not providing any real help when the time comes the same as they are doing to Ukraine.

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Starsfan posted:

... why not aim to strengthen relations with Russia to avoid a war if you don't want it? what is the point of strengthening relations with your "friends" who will just let you bleed to death while not providing any real help when the time comes the same as they are doing to Ukraine.

He wants to be Poland's Zelenskiy maybe.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Twitter war spectator simulator, bringing you the real western war experience where you have to balance posting against the rising cost of mountain dew and cheetos

A propaganda game where you dont interact with a war directly but manipulate public opinion to keep support for your side could be fun

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

A propaganda game where you dont interact with a war directly but manipulate public opinion to keep support for your side could be fun

it would be like posting is praxis or something, idk!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Proxy war simulator

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Russia should probably just give up tbh

speng31b
May 8, 2010

indigi posted:

Russia should probably just give up tbh

they will, joe r biden will defeat russia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I mean he already did they're just sort of lumbering along off momentum at this point. time to save face, withdraw to the prewar borders, and begin negotiating

speng31b
May 8, 2010

:agreed: glad we solved it

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

orcs don't know how to give, they only take

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

read the book Why Do Orcs Do This?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they know how to give whataboutism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

Russia the UK should probably just give up tbh

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Any parley with the orcs will be brief (no more than a handful of chances to cajole, bluff or bully them) and somewhat one-sided, as the orcs will issue nothing but demands and threats. At this point, any hostile action on the PCs’ party, including moving closer than 30 feet for any reason, will end the parley immediately and initiate combat. But a smooth talker may be able to stave off an attack by making a Charisma (Persuasion) check with disadvantage—against DC 15, say, or maybe DC 20 if the orcs are there for a specific purpose, such as guarding something or staking a territorial claim. If it succeeds, the orcs’ attitude will shift from hostile to indifferent; if it fails, however, give the party only one more chance to successfully reach a détente.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zelenskyy is pretty charismatic but a DC 20 check was a tall order

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Calibanibal posted:

orcs don't know how to give, they only take

I’m sorry this is just not true, for everything taken by an orc

there is a kind and generous orc willing to give

Orgrimmar is A Land of Contrasts

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

SorePotato posted:

i am a gay, corpulent orc with diabetes. i am severely jaundiced.

moskali slavs mark me with their urine, i am beneath the notice of galician slavs

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Starsfan posted:

It's almost as if there's a...a complex. A complex that is both military AND industrial, if you will. One that profits from wars, no matter how unnecessary or stupid they may be.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Starsfan posted:

welcome to the war!

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

supersnowman posted:

nah I'm pretty sure they were already getting shipments of 7.62x51 anyway for all the other surplus or almost-broken they had been given away (FN MAGs, G3s and whatnot) ammunition won't be a problem. Spare parts and competent armorers? yeah sure but since those second choice weapons will most likely either be issued to second line unit where most of the action will be "dealing with russian collaborators" where they won't be seeing too high a round count (comparatively) or front line units where the lifespan of the soldier carrying it is dramatically shorter than that of the weapon, it won't be too much of a problem.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

“kamikaze drone “ doesn’t make any sense

boomer: "kamikaze drone"
zoomer: "isis drone"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starsfan posted:

The transfer of wealth and materials will allow a lot of graft in the middle. The people who pay for it all and the people who receive whatever are largely irrelevant, as is the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

speng31b posted:

it would be like posting is praxis or something, idk!

Good name for a game