Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

What Jeff means is we need a bigger trash can, but also one that can't be heard by Jomboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

my brain has been so broken by the internet that I see lines and circles and I immediately try to figure out what peabrained conspiracy this article is trying to peddle

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spoeank posted:

my brain has been so broken by the internet that I see lines and circles and I immediately try to figure out what peabrained conspiracy this article is trying to peddle

shaking hands with dusty? collusion

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Intruder posted:

I think it's more likely he remains the 1B, Abreu at DH, Yordan the everyday LF

Which I also don't like too much. I guess in theory he could split time with Abreu at 1B and Yordan split time with Abreu at DH. If the Astros interest in Nimmo is real that goes out the window but I can't imagine they pay Nimmo. Conforto seems more likely since they already tried to sign him earlier this year

Abreu rarely DH'd in Chicago where there are like 12 1b//LF/DH type players. I would imagine getting most of the position time was a subject discussed during negotiations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wasn't Jose also kind of a grump about DHing and basically refused to even when he was a defensive liability before turning into a pretty good defender?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If that's the case I have a hard time seeing Yuli coming back. The vast majority of his utility is for his glove these days despite the way he went off in the playoffs out of nowhere

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I've said it before, but it's not a coincidence Yuli went off in the playoffs. The Astros played 13 games in 30 days. He's still got skill, but his body isn't holding up for a full season anymore. If he's willing accept a cheaper reduced role as backup 1B and occasional DH for the Stros, that would be great, but I wouldn't blame him for chasing another payday since he's only been making MLB money for less than half his career.

Next priority should be another OF. I can dream of Nimmo, but lol at Crane offering up that contract. More realistically, I'd like a serious offer to bring Uncle Mike back, even if he has to platoon with Yordan (who really isn't that bad in left). After that, I guess I'd be ok with Benintendi on a short deal hoping for a rebound. Last choice, bring back Robbie Grossman so he can reap some of the fruits of his tanking labor. If they can't make a reasonable upgrade there, gently caress it, give JV all the money and go for another season of grinding out 100+ 4-1 wins.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Mark Prior can fix him

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1597744534544326656

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dude hasn't posted anything resembling a half-workable season since 2015, so yeah I fully expect a Top-5 Cy finish in voting next year on a 3.00 ERA >150 IP season. Then of course he'll turn right back into a pumpkin just in time for the Angles to snap him up on a $25M AAV deal through his age 38 season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1597637389404422144?s=46&t=CL71-hbsHTpY0inrfsMTDQ

Baggie is great, but why the hell does he have any say in FO operations and what in gods name is going on with that soul patch

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shelby Miller is still playing baseball?

... Not very well (rimshot). Five teams already have tried to fix him since his last good year, which was in 2015.

The Dodgers of course aren't going to be paying him much money or giving him much time, but he's such a strange attempt at a reclamation project at this point.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the idea of mark prior fixing someone's mechanics is still mindboggling to me.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

the idea of mark prior fixing someone's mechanics is still mindboggling to me.

look he had thrown 120 pitches already and there was NO ONE warming up even after Alex Gonzalez booted the double play ball? seriously, no one? Where was Borowski?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don Mattingly to be the Jays bench coach??? Uhhhhh ok

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Apparently the Padres are trying to get Bogaerts to agree to play another position and sign with them

I'll give AJ Preller this you can't accuse him of not trying

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Shelby Miller turns in a let's say 3.8 ERA season I will truly start to believe in Dodgers devil magic and it being stronger than the Cardinals

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://twitter.com/astroblast65/status/1597647668326514689?s=46&t=2TxjPq5R9IPiF9BYEddz_A

Always weird seeing giant scoreboards under repair

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

If Shelby Miller turns in a let's say 3.8 ERA season I will truly start to believe in Dodgers devil magic and it being stronger than the Cardinals

I mean, it's two distinct schools of magic. Cardinals Devil Magic is the ability to at any given time call up a guy from the minors named something like Sharts McZoogle who inexplicably hits .320/.440/.480 for half a season and then vanishes back into obscurity forever. Dodgers Devil Magic is the ability to at any given time sign or trade for an absolutely washed pitcher with a 6+ ERA who hasn't been good for ten seasons and turn them into an ace SP or top tier reliever in a way that is completely unsustainable the second they're off the Dodgers.

The new market inefficiency is taking levels in Red Mage so you can master both these magics and become unstoppable.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Does Shelby Miller still smack his hand on the ground after each pitch? That'd be the first thing I try to fix. Either with his mechanics or with the grounds crew.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I was reminded of gyroball's wonderful Baseball Mogul Let's Plays today, so now all of you are too.

The saga of Dale Cooper, Laura Palmer, Zack Greinke, and our protagonist: Strike-O-Matic

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Don Mattingly to be the Jays bench coach??? Uhhhhh ok

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Baseball people seem convinced that Don Mattingly deserves to be a coach despite failing at two managerial positions, so now he gets a demotion for awhile until someone else gives him yet another chance.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aaron Judge has a really unfortunate smile

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBG/status/1597739688034709504

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FoolishBB/status/1598001532733005824

Hard to believe that this lineup, which included JV, Scherzer, Eminem and Hov, never won a title

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://twitter.com/bleachernation/status/1597933750439976960?s=46&t=7OsWdSJAES5qDkTqrEsPJw

Crane is determined to poach every single Chicago free agent

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Hard to believe that this lineup, which included JV, Scherzer, Eminem and Hov, never won a title
historically epic inability to assemble even a league average bullpen

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

zoux posted:

If you turn a telescope south-west and look out over the horizon on a clear night you might see Joel Zumaya’s arm floating in the stratosphere.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Imagine being a fan of a team that isn't willing to spend money to win.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

I don't have to :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1598031158742290434

Almost $40m AAV

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I certainly wouldn't complain if Crane decided to become big baller spending owner but where was this with Springer and Correa and Cole

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 30, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think the way those were handled is why he's stepping in more.

The problem is those have mostly worked out for the Astros.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah of those the only one I miss is George, and he's always a half second from a stint on the 10-day because he swung too hard or dove too hard to catch a foul ball in the third inning of a meaningless game in July.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I guess 8 is better than 10 but the last 3 years of that contract are going to be UG-LY.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Getting Contreras a half season later without giving up Urquidy would be awesome, frankly

Also I swear I was reading theoretical numbers for Judge that would make an initial offer of 300 million insulting

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

By the way it will forever baffle me that MLB was not only one of the first entities to get streaming right, they did it so well that it WWE, HBONow, WatchESPN, the PGA Tour and Disney ended up either paying to use it or just buying it outright (in Disney's case)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kirios posted:

dawg I'm a fan of a team that isn't even willing to spend money to LOSE

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Too bad Crane and Click couldn’t work out an arrangement where Crane did the off-season acquisitions and Click did the mid-season moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fast cars loose anus posted:

By the way it will forever baffle me that MLB was not only one of the first entities to get streaming right, they did it so well that it WWE, HBONow, WatchESPN, the PGA Tour and Disney ended up either paying to use it or just buying it outright (in Disney's case)

Bud Selig was actually pretty progressive and forward-thinking when it came to new media. Selig correctly saw that the Internet wasn't going to go away, so he formed MLB Advanced Media all the way back in 2000 (somehow getting all 30 owners on board), and that was the first such company in any of the major sports leagues. MLBAM was also the first sports entity to attempt streaming games, before the technology was ever really there.