Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm almost done with Upload Simulator, which isn't too terrible, and it's on sale for now.

I wish it had more interaction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

neongrey posted:

so ive been playing theresmore for a while now, it's been scratching a good itch for me to poke at, but the dumbest thing happened

so when your scouts go out and come back, one of the failure messages is like "your scout committed suicide out of shame at not finding anything", which I was like, yeah that's kind of lovely, so I go to the subreddit and make a post about it, very breezy, nothing judgey, asking that it be changed. Dev agrees, says it'll be changed next update. Yay!

Then this jackass is so extremely not mad about it that he responds to say how hilarious the message is and that I should grow some balls, which like my guy I'm trying but i need professional installation. He then continues to be so not mad about it he spams like three consecutive memes about scouts across the subreddit :jerkbag:

anyway that's my Theresmore story

I saw this unfold over there. I remember thinking that the Dev response was very reasonable and open-minded. OFC there has to be some redditor who feels a driving need to push back against simple human empathy.

I mean... if the joke was FUNNY, sure, maybe, but it's a total throwaway.

Inadequately posted:

A plethora of kobolds.

This was the last time I built or used Spies. I have no idea if they have any other function.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cobalt60 posted:

This was the last time I built or used Spies. I have no idea if they have any other function.

If upthread is correct, their function is to avoid you causing your opponent from dealing double damage because you dared to bring a shock along.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Zyxyz posted:

(the new progress knight) is this some "it's actually 19.99 being rounded up" poo poo smh

psst, hey, you.

ctrl+shift+j and enter gameData.evil=20 into the console

Of course, if you're already doing that you might as well put a silly number like 1000000000 in there. The evil grind is not exactly fun once you discover how long you'd have to do it for. But then again, it kind of is the game, so are you really playing?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought the evil grind was reasonable, but unlocking the essence milestones is definitely more fun

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Arzaac posted:

It really doesn't. It's one of the main reasons I stopped idle skilling, it gets real tedious flipping between your 20 different features with little to no QoL.

I really wish there were a way to automate flower discovery in botany. Frickin' tedious, and probably the main reason I don't ascend/rebirth all the time. :smith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

loving hell theresmore is slow

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zyxyz posted:

(the new progress knight) is this some "it's actually 19.99 being rounded up" poo poo smh

Where's the new progress knight?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Devor posted:

Where's the new progress knight?

GrossMurpel posted:

If anyone else never got to the end of Progress Knight because it was just too grindy at the end, there's this mod that automates a lot of it and also has a new endgame.
It progresses everything at once which is a big speedup, and auto-buys housing and items. That does mean it's literally just a "watch number go up" game now but I thought it was interesting to see
E: Oh also it's based on PK Reborn so it has some more content than the original PK to start with.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Oenis posted:

The new-ish hotness https://www.theresmoregame.com/play/ let's you build a village, and then there's probably... more. I haven't gotten far, but people have compared it to Evolve idle which might have more content because it's older, so maybe check out either.

Thanks, been addicted to this since you posted.

GWD posted:

I'm currently working on one I hope to get goontestable by end of year... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017479 Plan is to be exactly that, you're loop is you're running a kingdom to improve your strength to do ARPG-lite combat that gives you new research/materials to improve your kingdom.

That looks amazing and I'm looking forward to it!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I've been playing NGU Idle for about 3 years now, and I'm in Sadistic and I'm about to start grinding That 70s Zone for new gear. I have been leveling my pendants and Lootys in the daycare, and my pendant got to x9 ascended and level 100. So I transmuted it thinking I would get a x10 ascended pendant. Instead it gave me a part of The End. Now I have to wait until my x8 ascended pendant gets to 100 to make it into a x9 and wait another 100 days or more to get it fully leveled. gently caress.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

I've been playing NGU Idle for about 3 years now, and I'm in Sadistic and I'm about to start grinding That 70s Zone for new gear. I have been leveling my pendants and Lootys in the daycare, and my pendant got to x9 ascended and level 100. So I transmuted it thinking I would get a x10 ascended pendant. Instead it gave me a part of The End. Now I have to wait until my x8 ascended pendant gets to 100 to make it into a x9 and wait another 100 days or more to get it fully leveled. gently caress.

Did you try loading an older save to save it?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cobalt60 posted:

I saw this unfold over there. I remember thinking that the Dev response was very reasonable and open-minded. OFC there has to be some redditor who feels a driving need to push back against simple human empathy.

I mean... if the joke was FUNNY, sure, maybe, but it's a total throwaway.

I know, right? Last I saw he was sending me chat requests, but nothing since. Which, you know, wise call; I'm happy to let him embarrass himself in public since literally no one seems to be taking him seriously, but if he wants to escalate poo poo over a literal single line of text, lmao

quote:

Yeah, spies are in no way worth it if you know what the fights are, and well:

here's a super helpful spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q3LTRUIgLY8IJcgmC8wV0WmilUj4m4b5VhGQ9ko-MN4/edit#gid=1076167362

Very important to note that the 'strong against' bonus works both for and against you. In particular if an enemy runs really any amount of shock at all, you want zero tanks. Get your defense from heavy warriors or knights instead. So much as a single spearman will double the attack of the entire shock component. (similar for all other types, but tanks vs shock is the one that'll really get you).

it's not a super well designed game lmao, but i'm enjoying it. If for no other reason than every now and again the phrasings of some of the lines make me go 'wow i know 4x as a genre is really ideologically suspect but holy unexamined biases batman i should really make my own civ builder with blackjack and communism' and one day that will push me over the edge.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jhet posted:

Did you try loading an older save to save it?
Last local save... 18 days ago :negative:
I was real good about saving every week when I rebirth (my job keeps me on the road so I only check in once a week) but I stopped doing that. Dummy dummy dummy

Also I just checked the Wiki and the Looty LootzLrtozlOtZlOtTlooTTLoooLLLTTTToTlOOt will also turn into a piece of The End if I transmute it. I can hold on to it for a long time then, currently only level 83 in the daycare

edit: I'm just gonna eat the L on this one. Again, I'm way far away from getting any other parts of The End. yaaaaaay

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 29, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

Last local save... 18 days ago :negative:
I was real good about saving every week when I rebirth (my job keeps me on the road so I only check in once a week) but I stopped doing that. Dummy dummy dummy

Also I just checked the Wiki and the Looty LootzLrtozlOtZlOtTlooTTLoooLLLTTTToTlOOt will also turn into a piece of The End if I transmute it. I can hold on to it for a long time then, currently only level 83 in the daycare

edit: I'm just gonna eat the L on this one. Again, I'm way far away from getting any other parts of The End. yaaaaaay

Well poo poo. The good news is that as you progress they'll start dropping higher level pendants to feed into it. But if you only get to check when you're home that's not going to be much of a solace. The autosave system is so prompt that it's great at keeping your progress from disappearing, but not great for quick roll backs.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

prefect posted:

I really wish there were a way to automate flower discovery in botany. Frickin' tedious, and probably the main reason I don't ascend/rebirth all the time. :smith:

Yeah the dev seems deathly allgeric to added any sort of automation or QoL for both idle skilling and idleon. Sucks because there's a fun game in there somewhere, between the 200 screens you have to click through to do anything.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

nrook posted:

I’ve been playing bitburner lately. It’s a bit grindy (those infiltration mini games…) but the core concept is cute enough to carry it a long way

I played a lot of BitBurner and liked it for a while. I stopped considering it an idle game because it required so much time and attention to make any real progress. It's more like an adventure game or a Zachtronics game because all your progress is hard-gated by your ability to make the little programs work properly. Numbers sure do go up while you wait, but unless your programs are sufficient they will not go up quickly enough to make progress before the heat death of the universe.

Due to this, the community is also one of the worst I've ever checked in on. They give really bad advice that only makes sense once you understand that the expectation is that you side load a bunch of perfect scripts someone else wrote. Anything to do with playing the game in a "non-optimal way" (see: wanting to develop your own scripts) will get you a bunch of replies where they just ping the info bot at you and tell you you're stupid.

This is because the community regards it as a management sim like Trimps or something where you just download all the scripts and then plot your way through the metagame. They're just playing a fundamentally different game than anyone who is interested in engaging with the game in a way that more closely resembles what the game pretends to be on the Steam page.

The dev is also incredibly hands-off the Discord in a way that is very annoying. An entire toxic community of assholes sprung up around that game, and he considers it not really his responsibility at all. Refuses to understand that, on paper, yes, there's no obligation for him to build a healthy community for his freeware game, but wants to have it both ways by still having an official Discord that he controls (though refuses to take proper ownership of).

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 30, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ErIog posted:

I played a lot of BitBurner and liked it for a while.
I gave up when I realized that the base hacking stuff was fun but every other unlocked feature was not

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Theresmore annoys me as a long-time Evolve enjoyer because while the UI is slick looking it also wastes so much space unlike Evolve which slams all the information down in front you without caring about it having fancy borders and junk.

Recently picked back up Your Chronicle once I saw it on steam and quite enjoying it now that it has had year(s) of updates.

Sivart13 posted:

I gave up when I realized that the base hacking stuff was fun but every other unlocked feature was not

Bitburner is one of those games I tried desperately to learn because the concept was so fun but after completing the first cycle I realized that trying to code anything further than that just broke my brain. :sigh:

Had a functioning way of automatically hacking everything and even a decent stock market script going but once it came to body modding and automating everything else it became a nightmare.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 30, 2022

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bitburner suffers from the same catch-22 a lot of other "coding" games tend to fall into, which is that the demands of the game's design is too overwhelming and requires too much investment from inexperienced programmers, but are also too banal and uninteresting for experienced coders. Bitburner, to its credit, tends to be better than most in this area because a major component of the game that isn't immediately obvious is that while there is tons of useful information about its internal workings you can use to create effective algorithms to achieve the directed goals, the game gives very little access to this information in its UI. It's up to the player to learn and use the API to access, parse, display, and use all this information, and those can be fun problems to solve if you're suitably invested, and said problems closely mirror the work that programmers actually do in real work settings. Unfortunately, doing these things in service of simply playing a game as opposed to solving actual problems with actual functioning systems just isn't the same. Especially so considering that the programming you use to play the game is far less interesting and satisfying than the lower-level logistical challenges underlying them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ineptitude posted:

This game really satisfies the numbers go up itch and is fun for a few hours but the numbers are very unbalanced so you end up almost skipping entire features because you blast through them. The UI is a mess, possibly the worst UI i have ever experienced in an idler. Its worse than Dodecadragons. Its basically Dodeca's UI (separate "boxes" for each feature) but you can only look at one box at a time and you need to navigate between the boxes with an arrow system rather than jumping straight to the one you want.

I've played further than you, I suspect, and the skipping features thing is deliberate- later reset dynamics require you to minimally use one of the functions (Grasshop) that is the source of all the skipping.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 30, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ErIog posted:

Due to this, the community is also one of the worst I've ever checked in on. They give really bad advice that only makes sense once you understand that the expectation is that you side load a bunch of perfect scripts someone else wrote. Anything to do with playing the game in a "non-optimal way" (see: wanting to develop your own scripts) will get you a bunch of replies where they just ping the info bot at you and tell you you're stupid.

This is because the community regards it as a management sim like Trimps or something where you just download all the scripts and then plot your way through the metagame. They're just playing a fundamentally different game than anyone who is interested in engaging with the game in a way that more closely resembles what the game pretends to be on the Steam page.

This is unfortunate, but there is something funny about the community for a hacking game getting taken over by script kiddies.

The game certainly isn’t particularly well-designed; many mechanics seem pointless or vestigial. (Why don’t companies pay relevant salaries? Why is it hard to tell which companies have associated factions? Why can’t I await two promises at once, as long as I’m not doing something like making hack() or grow() calls in both of them? If there are increased rewards for doing the same challenge again, why is the challenge the same; wouldn’t it be more fun for them to get harder somehow?) But I’m still engaged so far. I had fun automating gangs (which were easy) and corporations (which were hard, and my corp script is still kind of a disaster), and I gather there are more novel mechanics coming.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
At times the quasi-idle gamification of this sort of thing makes me wish I could develop a way to get nerds to, idk, digitize the backlog of the federal register, or harmonize food lists, or any one of the other major grindy backlog infrastructure tech debt things the government has sitting around.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Discendo Vox posted:

At times the quasi-idle gamification of this sort of thing makes me wish I could develop a way to get nerds to, idk, digitize the backlog of the federal register, or harmonize food lists, or any one of the other major grindy backlog infrastructure tech debt things the government has sitting around.

Wow, was the price of corn really $420.69 for twenty years?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just unlocked pets in FAPI and got a chicken. Is there any trick to getting more pets other than just farming in the listed zones until it pops up?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Discendo Vox posted:

Going to need many people to enter them and have people not just enter meme numbers / not read and ban bad actors. I think the viable option would be a replacement for "free" premium currency for tasks in mobile games like how TapJoy works (you download a game get credit in the game, instead the game would link you to this and let you earn in game premium currency for task, you pay the app dev a fraction of what they'd charge the users because their game is targeting people that can't afford to spend money on apps and instead watch a billion ads and do other things for in game currency.

Like how ReCaptcha works (and once you know how it works it's possible to game a bit and gently caress with the data)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Valve tried to incentivize CSGO players to review user submitted clips of bad behavior (griefing, cheating, etc) in exchange for very small skin rewards. If the majority of people who reviewed a case marked it guilty or innocent, the reviewers who made the "right" call would get a reward.

Within a couple of weeks, Valve had to stop giving out the skin rewards. The community immediately converged on marking everyone guilty without actually putting effort into reviewing the cases because it was the fastest way to get the skins.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just unlocked pets in FAPI and got a chicken. Is there any trick to getting more pets other than just farming in the listed zones until it pops up?

That's the trick. Each additional ascension gives you a 10% additional chance, and there's a soul item as well. "Optimal" is something like maxed battle timer reduction plus medium zone plus one-shotting everything plus maxed relevant skull page 3. But you'll get a number of them eventually just playing "normally."

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Playing Theresmore on my Android phone and wondering why it sometimes continues going when my phone is locked with my browser on the top and sometimes doesn't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah I wasn't thinking of fungible incentives so much as something closer to folding at home, with lots of crosschecking and emphasis on the public benefit.

This would be things like, e.g., making sure the housing credit rule on page 8 of this document from 1947 gets autoscanned into the conventional, fully searchable, online format the modern federal register uses without any errors. A surprising amount of this stuff is still on the books, and having the surrounding documents be accessible is really important. The current federal register is fantastic and they're working their way backwards in time, but they've only gotten to 1994- and there are sometimes significant errors that make people have to seek out and parse these archival scans. It wouldn't be all that hard to stick up a big green progress bar of the outstanding archive and log crosschecks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CubicalSucrose posted:

That's the trick. Each additional ascension gives you a 10% additional chance, and there's a soul item as well. "Optimal" is something like maxed battle timer reduction plus medium zone plus one-shotting everything plus maxed relevant skull page 3. But you'll get a number of them eventually just playing "normally."

OK, I am pre-ascension, Ressurection level ~1300, so I'll just grind as planned and hope to get lucky.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Discendo Vox posted:

I've played further than you, I suspect, and the skipping features thing is deliberate- later reset dynamics require you to minimally use one of the functions (Grasshop) that is the source of all the skipping.

This part was an initial stumbling block for me as I entirely missed there were side screens that listed these as next targets. I feel like I'm a bit stuck again except for grinding out stars now that I've done one reset with only 16 grasshops. Don't want to try and do fewer yet as that last one took long enough already.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I probably wasted a day because I unknowingly had a challenge turned on, long after they were all finished. It seemed excruciatingly slow, but I did make very gradual progress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I probably wasted a day because I unknowingly had a challenge turned on, long after they were all finished. It seemed excruciatingly slow, but I did make very gradual progress.

I think we've all done this in at least one idle game. This is why I prefer this poo poo auto completes and switches to a regular run. Not possible in all games.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

pixaal posted:

I think we've all done this in at least one idle game. This is why I prefer this poo poo auto completes and switches to a regular run. Not possible in all games.

I've definitely done it before. I still kind of do it, except there's that trigger in me now to double check EVERYTHING when something feels too slow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nervous posted:

This part was an initial stumbling block for me as I entirely missed there were side screens that listed these as next targets. I feel like I'm a bit stuck again except for grinding out stars now that I've done one reset with only 16 grasshops. Don't want to try and do fewer yet as that last one took long enough already.

Something seems to be borked on my file with the anti-grass; it's running impossibly slow after maxing near everything else. Nothing spawns, period. It's taken all day to get to half a level.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nervous posted:

How long did you take for the 16-grasshop reset, and how many stars did you have? I'm trying to do that myself and it's taking days.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you're getting half a level then stuff is spawning - your auto-cut will just be higher than the spawn rate so nothing's appearing. That is very slow - the first I went there I got at least to level 7 within a minute or so, so I would grasshop, do challenges (and exit them), and it might be worth grinding normality for platinum to buy upgrades. Usually it takes a few 'goes' to get established, so you go in, get a few levels which will let you buy grass upgrades, then bounce back and get some more levels to grasshop further until you can get to level 30 in a couple of minutes.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Blattdorf posted:

https://mrredshark77.github.io/Really-Grass-Cutting-Incremental/

The game has been getting some updates. While the thread was a bit lukewarm about it, I find it interesting to see what the next paradigm shift will be.

this has the most hilariously bad UI i've ever seen in an idle game. how do you have only 5 upgrades and still not have room to fit them on the screen at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Discendo Vox posted:

Something seems to be borked on my file with the anti-grass; it's running impossibly slow after maxing near everything else. Nothing spawns, period. It's taken all day to get to half a level.

Same, the grass/antigrass part of the game just stops working. You gain grass currency but no upgrades are being bought (not PP or crystal ones either)
I was working on the rocketry part of the game when this happened.

EDIT: spoiler

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 1, 2022