Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My steam dreck arrived on Monday and after only one day being able to mess with it I think it is the bees knees. Really impressed by how light, yet substantial it feels for something so big. I also cannot think of a more comfortable controller and this one happens to have the console in as well.

Valve really did their design work. I mostly wanted something to play Dark Souls II in bed and found out that only DS1 was on the switch, so now I can souls trilogy whenever I want and then some! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

My steam dreck arrived on Monday and after only one day being able to mess with it I think it is the bees knees. Really impressed by how light, yet substantial it feels for something so big. I also cannot think of a more comfortable controller and this one happens to have the console in as well.

Valve really did their design work. I mostly wanted something to play Dark Souls II in bed and found out that only DS1 was on the switch, so now I can souls trilogy whenever I want and then some! :)

hell yeaaaaaa

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

They finally announced they'll start shipping Decks in Japan on the 17th. Got a 1tb sd card on the way too. Can't wait to play random heaps of stuff over my Christmas break! :D

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's funny seeing all these "Steam Deck competitors" coming out and missing the one basic thing that's the biggest selling point.

The Decks silly huge library, which is only then extended by emulation.

Folk don't care about £1000 ultra powerful portable gaming hardware, they just want to play their games without bullshit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kin posted:

It's funny seeing all these "Steam Deck competitors" coming out and missing the one basic thing that's the biggest selling point.

The Decks silly huge library, which is only then extended by emulation.

Folk don't care about £1000 ultra powerful portable gaming hardware, they just want to play their games without bullshit.

All the other mobile PCs coming out are just that though, mobile PCs that have access to that library as well. In the case of the Anbernic Win600 it also uses SteamOS and has proper dual boot support with Windows. Hell if you turn on the gamepad UI in Steam on Windows you can have the same UI in both OSes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Valve is also going to be releasing SteamOS by itself so you can install it on anything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's also probably why Valve isn't going to be in any hurry to release a hardware revision when other companies will do it for them. Handheld PCs with 1080p screens and more powerful APUs already exist after all and most of the games bought on those is still going to be through Steam after all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm constantly surprised by just how happy I am to play the deck handheld, while I can't stand playing the Switch like that. I am 100% a docked switch player.

The deck feels THAT much better.

But I also don't have a deck dock, so :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Valve is also going to be releasing SteamOS by itself so you can install it on anything.

So, if they do this, does that mean that it'll come with proton and all that that stuff? Will another system (assuming it's as powerful or moreso than the deck) just automatically be able to play the same games with the same compatibility?

Have they FINALLY surmounted the Windows requirement that they tried to do with the Steam Machines?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 30, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, if they do this, does that mean that it'll come with proton and all that that stuff? Will another system (assuming it's as powerful or moreso than the deck) just automatically be able to play the same games with the same compatibility?

Have they FINALLY surmounted the Windows requirement that they tried to do with the Steam Machines?

That is how it works on the Win600, and if you use HoloISO to install SteamOS on another system (even a desktop mini PC or regular desktop) it works like that too. The only sticking point right now is driver support, AMD systems naturally are perfectly fine but there's some issues last I checked with Nvidia. Hence why the Minisforum NUCxi5, a console form factor PC using a laptop motherboard and mobile 3070 GPU doesn't run SteamOS brilliantly. Intel and Nvidia's linux driver support just isn't as good as AMDs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Those mobile PCs like GPD Win and Aya Neo were coming out a year or so before Steam announced the Steam Deck. I don’t think anyone was copying anyone. Just kinda seems where the handheld market was going.

From what I can recall, I don’t think anyone expected Valve to be making new hardware anytime after how tepid the Steam Machines were a decade ago.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dark Souls II on tha go! Is this gaming heaven??

Also went through a ton of the guides in the first post and have emudeck running as well. It feels like cheating how good this device is. I really dig the matte screen as it means such less glare.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was let down when the Dark Souls games didn’t go on sale during Black Friday. Hopefully they do during the big Christmas sales.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VG joined the Deck gang? Hell yeah

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

VideoGames posted:

One of Steams coolest benefits has always been its ability to pull franchises together when they've been splintered across different periods of console exclusivity or hardware cycles previously.

Obviously we're not there yet with From's games (and I am choosing to believe it's only a matter of time), but being able to play the DS trilogy, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Demons Souls on this thing is going to be amazing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

VG joined the Deck gang? Hell yeah

Heck yeah I did! :D It was my birthday last week and I got the cash for one because LVG told my family that it was a pipe dream wish and then she made me buy it for myself instead of saving it for potential bills. She is the reason I own most of my electronics :) I have only had a chance to use it for three hours but those three hours were incredible in what it can do. It took 6 days from ordering for it to arrive which was a real surprise as well! I was expecting it to be next week.

Bumhead posted:

One of Steams coolest benefits has always been its ability to pull franchises together when they've been splintered across different periods of console exclusivity or hardware cycles previously.

Obviously we're not there yet with From's games (and I am choosing to believe it's only a matter of time), but being able to play the DS trilogy, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Demons Souls on this thing is going to be amazing.

Even though I have Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Sekiro and Demons Souls on my PS5 I am tempted to get Elden Ring and Sekiro again on steam just to join them. Fromsoft on the go is superb.

I can add The Surge as well! And Silksong on this thing is going to rock!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Is bloodborne coming to pc then?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sony won’t officially do anything with Bloodborne unless they announce a movie or TV show.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

One of the first things people always comment on is how big the deck is, but man I wouldn't trade the ergonomics and repairability for a 'sleeker' design for anything. It's so hard to hold a Switch now, even with the big bulky Hori joycons or whatever. They really nailed how good a deck feels in your hands.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m a big proponent of those Hori split pads but I always feel like I’m gonna accidentally twist them and damage the rails.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VideoGames posted:

Heck yeah I did! :D It was my birthday last week and I got the cash for one because LVG told my family that it was a pipe dream wish and then she made me buy it for myself instead of saving it for potential bills. She is the reason I own most of my electronics :) I have only had a chance to use it for three hours but those three hours were incredible in what it can do. It took 6 days from ordering for it to arrive which was a real surprise as well! I was expecting it to be next week.

That’s super cool. LVG owns. Also if you want to skip on double dipping (for now), look into Chiaki4Deck which is a native PS Remote app so you can just play your PS5 games on the Deck while at home.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m a big proponent of those Hori split pads but I always feel like I’m gonna accidentally twist them and damage the rails.

I've tried the full size and the new compact ones. They help, but even those get my hand cramped up after a while. It didn't really bother me as much until I got the deck but it's so hard to go back now.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

VideoGames posted:

Dark Souls II on tha go! Is this gaming heaven??

Also went through a ton of the guides in the first post and have emudeck running as well. It feels like cheating how good this device is. I really dig the matte screen as it means such less glare.

the amount of nDS RPGs that were lost in the wind and are now easily playable is something else.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a soft spot for Nostalgia. It’s so basic. Like an AI generated JRPG.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm playing through strange journey and it's ace, and i've got radiant historia queued up after that which i never beat and i never played chrono trigger or infinite space and i haven't played the devil survivor games in over 10 years and also a hundred other games :blastu:

i want to play through the etrian odyssey games too but i think that's one where the two screens and stylus are pretty essential. the deck touch screen seems like it would be too fiddly and imprecise.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Those mobile PCs like GPD Win and Aya Neo were coming out a year or so before Steam announced the Steam Deck. I don’t think anyone was copying anyone. Just kinda seems where the handheld market was going.

From what I can recall, I don’t think anyone expected Valve to be making new hardware anytime after how tepid the Steam Machines were a decade ago.

Yeah it's really fun going back to how tech media covered the original Aya Neo as a "lol those wacky chinese think people want a handheld gaming PC" thing and then seeing the about face as soon as the Deck rumours started (back when it was still codenamed Steam Pal).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GTO posted:

buddy it's not even coming to ps5

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t give a poo poo about competing devices because 90% of the appeal is the console-esque “does it work on steam deck ok great” aspect, for me.

If it gets fragmented like PCs already are it would lose most of what makes it really cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s also not competition, it’s more the 3DO structure of multiple manufacturers making devices for the same ecosystem. Only now it’s more other companies making devices to accommodate people with Deck issues. So if you want a smaller deck, a higher res screen deck or more powerful deck those are all available with potentially the same software experience. They’re just not made by Valve and won’t be the dominant device in the space.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

and they'll also be way more expensive because they can't sell them at a loss like valve can.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

GTO posted:

Probably not, but whilever there's a 0.01% chance it might, idiots like me will keep banging on about it.

It would be healthier if they just came out and said "the code was lost in a fire and Bluepoint can't be bothered".

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

njsykora posted:

more powerful deck

Then it’s not really a deck anymore, it’s some other new thing that’ll run games differently and I immediately check out because the question of “does it work on steam deck” now doesn’t have a straightforward answer it becomes ‘maybe’.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kin posted:

I think they're missing a few things that make the Deck attractive. If nothing else, a 7" 1920x1080 screen is basically a downgrade.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

linux steam just downloads proton for you even on not-steamos as soon as you download a game that can't run on linux natively, it's pretty great

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tbh while the newer iGPUs are more powerful they still can’t push 1080p that great. 720 is still the sweet spot.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

linux steam just downloads proton for you even on not-steamos as soon as you download a game that can't run on linux natively, it's pretty great

If there was a more intuitive file storage system I would feel a lot more confident about saying that linux is a better gaming experience than windows. i always feel a little confused about the 'home' or 'var' storage and all those things, because ive been trained to recognize C:/ paths.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You can safely ignore anything outside of your own home

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

If there was a more intuitive file storage system I would feel a lot more confident about saying that linux is a better gaming experience than windows. i always feel a little confused about the 'home' or 'var' storage and all those things, because ive been trained to recognize C:/ paths.

meanwhile, on windows i used to mount and/or symlink my c:/users/truga dir to the big HDDs lmao
kept the same homedir from mid 00s all the way up to last year when windows randomly blew itself up for the last time :v:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Antigravitas posted:

You can safely ignore anything outside of your own home

the gamer's mantra

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Then it’s not really a deck anymore, it’s some other new thing that’ll run games differently and I immediately check out because the question of “does it work on steam deck” now doesn’t have a straightforward answer it becomes ‘maybe’.

Thats called PC Gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yeah, and it sucks, which is his point