Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Once you learn the basic Polytopia strategy you can win every game without a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Were you thinking that Billy Corgan had taken over the other NWA?

I was afraid it was Billy Corgan the documentarian/activist from Miami who is also kind of a pain in the rear end but in the complete opposite direction. That would have been almost as confusing his smashing pumpkins taking over and re-releasing boyz in the Hood

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Zesty posted:

Anytime you see someone like this, like Boebert or MTG, or some Nazi saying DeSantis would be the first catholic president, it's because they're driving up their engagement so the algorithm puts them on more screens.

Not everything is some deep fourth dimensional chess for engagement though, a lot of people are just really like this. I'd say the majority of MuskleMen are, in fact, just this stupid. I just muted the guy because his post was dumb and he seems dumb and I carefully curated my timeline so it's mostly cute animal videos and people that I think are funny. So there goes his engagement with me...profit?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Were you thinking that Billy Corgan had taken over the other NWA?

Is this some pope/anti-pope type poo poo?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

priznat posted:

I read this earlier today and as a kara swisher fan I was a bit taken aback, I never got the impression she was cheerleading for musk. She basically would just say “that’s elon, he’s a showman” with the unspoken thing being she believed him to be full of poo poo. She was pretty critical of him on more than one occasion to the point where he won’t talk to her. Not exactly fawning.

But the revelation she was a Post advisor, that was not great. Didn’t know that.

I would avoid both Post and Hive.

on Post:

https://www.jwz.org/blog/2022/11/psa-do-not-use-services-that-hate-the-internet/

Post Dot News also seems absolutely vile.

First of all, Marc Andreessen is an investor, and there is no redder red flag than that. "How much more red? None. None more red", as Spinal Tap would say. He's a right wing reactionary whose idea of "free speech" is in line with Musk, Trump, Thiel and the rest of the Klept.

Second, it appears to be focused on "micropayments", which these days means "cryptocurrency Ponzi schemes", another of marca's favorite grifts.

They call themselves "a platform for real people, civil conversations". So, Real Names Policy and tone policing by rich white dudes is how I translate that. But hey, at least their TOS says they won't discriminate against billionaires:

"life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, regardless of their gender, religion, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, net worth, or beliefs."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mindless posted:

I am still not over Dense and Intense. I work my best when packed in with a ton of other people. gently caress the cube walls, just gimme bare floor, rave lighting, and pass the extension cord.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Wait if an app is free, like twitter, then does Apple just get 30% of nothing and host it in the app store for free? Or does the developer pay some kind of fee up front?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Wait if an app is free, like twitter, then does Apple just get 30% of nothing and host it in the app store for free? Or does the developer pay some kind of fee up front?

30% of in-app purchases

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

The 30% is only for paid apps and things like in-app purchases (like Twitter Blue). Outside of that you only need to pay $100,- a year to register as developer. Technically you could bypass the in-app subscription thing by doing it through your own portal but that goes against the TOS and will definitely get you kicked off (they check this stuff during the app approval process). Basically Apple wants 30% of any payment you receive through the app, though if your income is less than a million a year you can apparently get this down to 15%.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

If the app is free, the developer only pays the annual store fee which is like $100 or something. But if the app has micro transactions or the like then I think Apple take 30% of each one.
So people could pay their $8 for a "verified" checkmark on the web version and Apple would get nothing.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

What is this from? Seen it as a gang tag here.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

One of the reasons why some game companies go through the effort and expense of making a PC version of their app is because then they are allowed to sell microtransactions on the PC version without paying Apple. I play one game that gives you extra rewards if you buy poo poo directly from them while logged onto the PC version instead of buying through the app.

Not sure how that works for Twitter, which is not a "game" that can have a "PC Version".

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

You Are A Elf posted:

TV show Severance

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rigel posted:

One of the reasons why some game companies go through the effort and expense of making a PC version of their app is because then they are allowed to sell microtransactions on the PC version without paying Apple. I play one game that gives you extra rewards if you buy poo poo directly from them while logged onto the PC version instead of buying through the app.

Not sure how that works for Twitter, which is not a "game" that can have a "PC Version".

I believe they can still sell on the non-mobile version of the website without breaching apple terms? There's also a windows twitter app, although I think it might largely just be the twitter PWA wrapped up in a container.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

You Are A Elf posted:

Severence, and Apple streaming show.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
If anyone can invent some sort of "PC" "app" then it's the great Elon Musk

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

TACD posted:

TV show Severance

Such a good show. Worth a watch. I hope Elon doesn't DESTROY woke Apple before season 2

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Castor Poe posted:

Too smart for chess, too dumb to run Twitter.

He wrote an awful lot of words to say "I'm not good at chess"

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Steadiman posted:

The 30% is only for paid apps and things like in-app purchases (like Twitter Blue). Outside of that you only need to pay $100,- a year to register as developer. Technically you could bypass the in-app subscription thing by doing it through your own portal but that goes against the TOS and will definitely get you kicked off (they check this stuff during the app approval process). Basically Apple wants 30% of any payment you receive through the app, though if your income is less than a million a year you can apparently get this down to 15%.
As far as I know Spotify, Netflix et al provide in app links for people to sign up for subscriptions via their respective websites, to bypass this 30% fee. Apple seems to be ok with them and other big hitters doing this, and I presume would be with Twitter as well.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

TACD posted:

TV show Severance

Hamelekim posted:

Severence, and Apple streaming show.

:tipshat:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Severance is fantastic and if you're all about critiques of abusive workplaces and practices (which of course you are, you're in the Elon Musk thread) then it's absolutely vital viewing

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Underwhelmed posted:

That's the way of the narcissist and (obviously) not limited to chess.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Durzel posted:

This tactic worked brilliantly for Epic Games as I recall, who pulled a similar stunt and then got Fortnite booted off the App Store, before substantively losing in court when they challenged Apple's position.

Both of them lost: Epic failed at their anti-trust argument, but Apple got ruled against them that requiring companies to do payments exclusively via themselves is anti-competitive. Both companies appealed the decision, and that's just starting now.

Durzel posted:

As far as I know Spotify, Netflix et al provide in app links for people to sign up for subscriptions via their respective websites, to bypass this 30% fee. Apple seems to be ok with them and other big hitters doing this, and I presume would be with Twitter as well.

Apple isn't ok with it but they don't have the weight to force it. Before Musk, twitter would have been one of the apps that I'd say were big enough to get away with ducking the apple tax. If twitter blue had ever mattered to twitter they could have done that. They didn't bother because

Now though? LMAO. Apple can push them around a lot more. There's been so much bad news about twitter, if they get dropped from the app store it'll be understood that twitter is a mess.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Billy Corgan of smashing pumpkins fame owns an entire wrestling league. Being a contrarian and also insanely rich has turned him into an extremely specific kind of crazy where he runs a vegan cafe but regularly hangs out with Alex Jones. This leads to things like him just asking questions Joe Rogan style (sometimes with Rogan) and employing fox News hosts to pretend to get punched in the head.

He recently announced a new music festival put on by the pumpkins in Mexico called "the world is a vampire". One of the listed opening acts is a wrestling match from his league.

You're welcome.

https://www.bitchmedia.org/post/billy-corgan-decides-transphobia-is-the-only-way-to-get-attention

Iirc a guitar pedal builder did a kickstarter rug pull so everyone dogpiled on the trans aspect for cheap dunks.

The OCD pedal guy is also a massive transphobe, but he went out of buisness this year so gently caress him.

Kale
May 14, 2010

vaginite posted:

lmao at how fast chuds 180 on every belief they have

They're actually screaming that they should be guaranteed access to anything that's essential even if it means the government has to override private sector interests, but instead of schools and healthcare they're talking about loving Twitter

Its a purely reactionary victimhood narrative ideaology that operates on Ingsoc levels of Tucker Carlson and key MAGA figures like DeSantis, Tucker Carlson and I guess now Elon tell chuds to be mad about based on the latest pushback by Democrats or some private entity against their right wing bullshit. Its that way by design so they can quickly move on to the current grievance and whipping based on that rather than have to stick particularly hard to a given ideaology or stance that may not keep them all whipped up in sync.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Absolutely watch severance absolutely do not look at the TVIV thread lol

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

absolutely do not look at the TVIV thread lol

This is a good rule for any tv show, the only winning move with TVIV is to never go in.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

I was afraid it was Billy Corgan the documentarian/activist from Miami who is also kind of a pain in the rear end but in the complete opposite direction. That would have been almost as confusing his smashing pumpkins taking over and re-releasing boyz in the Hood

That's Billy Corben.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rufio posted:

If anyone can invent some sort of "PC" "app" then it's the great Elon Musk

Microsoft app store exists it's part of windows and Microsoft really wants people to use it. It's only 12%. it's free

edit: lol no, read a 2nd source, that's the games for windows steam competitor that's 12% the app store is 0% they are just hosting your app for free to get people to use it!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

pixaal posted:

Microsoft app store exists it's part of windows and Microsoft really wants people to use it. It's only 12%. it's free

edit: lol no, read a 2nd source, that's the games for windows steam competitor that's 12% the app store is 0% they are just hosting your app for free to get people to use it!

The Microsoft App Store reminds me of the 2008-ish iOS App Store where it was full of hastily rammed-together calculators and fart sound effect apps, but it’s in 2022.

Also I hope Apple drops Twitter not because I particularly love Apple but because I’m so sick of Nazis getting free exposure that I want Twitter to die so I don’t have to see people post nazi hot takes on other sites.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
Billy Corgan is also a Transphobe? More ammo for my friend who still likes the band.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Underwhelmed posted:

he cant win on an even playing field

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Hes grooming boys and also grown men.

The technique is grooming, regardless.

An old dude acting young or even aloof to interact with people he can dominate.

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 30, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Barry Foster posted:

Severance is fantastic and if you're all about critiques of abusive workplaces and practices (which of course you are, you're in the Elon Musk thread) then it's absolutely vital viewing

It's a masterpiece. It stands up to multiple viewings, too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Withnail posted:

Well poo poo, is Perry Farrell still cool?

I saw NIN/JA and Jane's Addiction came out, Perry was hosed up, and immediately yells, "HELLO SANTA FEEEEEEEE!"
He is then booed by the entire crowd, followed by a collective, "YOU'RE IN loving ALBUQUERQUE"
He then insisted it was Santa Fe and people started leaving. NIN was great, though. JA played the hits first and they were mediocre, I didn't make it all the way through that one.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

MrQwerty posted:

I saw NIN/JA and Jane's Addiction came out, Perry was hosed up, and immediately yells, "HELLO SANTA FEEEEEEEE!"
He is then booed by the entire crowd, followed by a collective, "YOU'RE IN loving ALBUQUERQUE"
He then insisted it was Santa Fe and people started leaving. NIN was great, though. JA played the hits first and they were mediocre, I didn't make it all the way through that one.

Are headliner and supporting band switched around in the US or were Janes Addiction the headliner for some reason.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

Are headliner and supporting band switched around in the US or were Janes Addiction the headliner for some reason.

they co-headlined a tour called NINJA in 2009, NIN played first

edit: the opening act was Street Sweeper Social Club

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

MrQwerty posted:

they co-headlined a tour called NINJA in 2009, NIN played first

edit: the opening act was Street Sweeper Social Club

Oh weird. Janes Addiction in 2009. Makes sense.