Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Just to be clear because there's a lot of hyperbolic language being used, "siding with the railroad" in this instance is enforcing a compromise agreement that gives the unions most of what they asked for and most of the unions (but representing only ~40% of the workforce) approved.

So when we're talking about selling out to big railroad and machine gunning strikers the actual effective action congress is taking is enforcing a deal that much of the union themselves approves.

Now it's pretty fair the one thing they're hung up on is pretty loving important, but we're not discussing this in terms that reflect reality.

But which they very specifically did not agree to. Hence why there is a strike looming. This isn't a compromise, it's a unilateral imposition of terms on the workers and railroads in contrast to what the unions have decided. Some unions giving a tentative yes means nothing because the entire point is they all go on strike if it's not fully agreed to. So yes, Biden sold the workers out and destroyed most of their power in support of the railroad companies. Imposing the "compromise" agreement is in favor of the railways, because the unions did not agree to it and the alternative is a strike that literally everyone knows the workers would win. Congress intervening here is anti-worker, anti-union, and just flat out wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think their handling on this being quite bone headed is something people would disagree about here, for all the rhetoric even D&D is quite left of the general consensus on the internet and even r/neoliberal is throwing their hands up and saying maybe just nationalize the fuckers.

I really wish this weren't as stupid and chaotic as it is but well, here we are. About the only thing that's possible in the near future that would avert a strike would be Bernie's amendment to get added to a bill that passes, and the stakes are historically high because a society can limp along for a bit without teachers and knick-knacks for shopping season but we definitely need stuff like electricity and treated water and that's rail

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

small butter posted:

2024. A long strike would absolutely decimate the economy and supply chain, bring up inflation, increase demand for many things, and force the Fed to keep increasing rates. This will easily bleed into the next two years and Democrats will own it.
You still have not explained why this temporary anti-worker bandaid will magically fix these problems going into 2024. You do realize that this will anger workers and lower morale, right? Those things tend to associated with more strikes and more people leaving their jobs. Not great for supply chains. These are actual people with their own motivations and everything, they aren't just going to shut up because Mommy Pelosi said so.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

small butter posted:

2024. A long strike would absolutely decimate the economy and supply chain, bring up inflation, increase demand for many things, and force the Fed to keep increasing rates. This will easily bleed into the next two years and Democrats will own it.

Sounds like the railroad workers have a lot of leverage! The bosses and politicians should probably give in to their demands before anything bad happens!

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Wow, 15 whole dollars in New York City! Thank u democrats!

Look, I can make you a list, like:

1. Paid sick leave for at least a week
2. $15 min wage
3. Pre k for all
4. One of the highest funded school systems in the world
5. Generous Medicaid
6. Medicaid for the undocumented
7. Free or low cost non-Medicaid health insurance for all, including the undocumented

I can keep going if you'd like.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

small butter posted:

What do you think will happen if they force a bad contract down the throats of members of what is supposed to be a reliable voting bloc for them? How do you think other members of that voting bloc will react?

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 30, 2022

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Verus posted:

Sounds like the railroad workers have a lot of leverage! The bosses and politicians should probably give in to their demands before anything bad happens!

100%

It's just that the politicians are half Republicans and you need 60 votes. Every Democrat would be on board with these basic rear end demands.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cat botherer posted:

He's correct. I don't want the feds forcibly ending strikes, ever, for what I think are pretty obvious reasons (gestures to current events).

If that quote is accurate, it doesn't look like he's saying Congress shouldn't intervene, but rather that he's saying Congress shouldn't change the deal: i.e., that they should stick to the original plan of imposing the current compromise deal on the table between the unions and employers, rather than unilaterally changing the deal by adding more of the workers' demands.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

small butter posted:

Look, I can make you a list, like:

1. Paid sick leave for at least a week
2. $15 min wage
3. Pre k for all
4. One of the highest funded school systems in the world
5. Generous Medicaid
6. Medicaid for the undocumented
7. Free or low cost non-Medicaid health insurance for all, including the undocumented

I can keep going if you'd like.
Again, I explained that I accept that Dems are marginally less poo poo, which is consistent with your list. I don't see how continuing to bring up these strawmen that have nothing to do with what we are talking about is relevant. Care to respond to anything I actually claimed?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Gerund posted:

You're the one who proffered that Canadian pupils and rolling stock was a one-to-one comparison! If you dislike how the analogy works once given scrutiny, get mad at yourself.

Why would I get mad at myself? I didn't make you invent that analogy.

What I actually said is that if the workers are difficult to replace, then a threat of dismissal, violence, or anything else that results in fewer workers being on the job is completely empty and everyone knows it. I don't know why you're trying to twist that into something I never said.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zeron posted:

But which they very specifically did not agree to. Hence why there is a strike looming. This isn't a compromise, it's a unilateral imposition of terms on the workers and railroads in contrast to what the unions have decided. Some unions giving a tentative yes means nothing because the entire point is they all go on strike if it's not fully agreed to. So yes, Biden sold the workers out and destroyed most of their power in support of the railroad companies. Imposing the "compromise" agreement is in favor of the railways, because the unions did not agree to it and the alternative is a strike that literally everyone knows the workers would win. Congress intervening here is anti-worker, anti-union, and just flat out wrong.

Yes because that's how democracy works, when 60% of people want A, and 40% B, 100% get B. That doesn't erase the fact that 40% actually wanted B. The fact they agreed that they'd all stick together doesn't change the fact that a very large minority was in favor of the deal that's congress is talking about enforcing, which was a compromise. Framing it as if the congress is just giving the railroads whatever they wanted is not accurate.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

small butter posted:

100%

It's just that the politicians are half Republicans and you need 60 votes. Every Democrat would be on board with these basic rear end demands.

Sorry, I don't quite get it -- the congressmen aren't the ones running the trains, are they? If they want to avert those horrible economic consequences, they'll need to give in, and fast.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Yes because that's how democracy works, when 60% of people want A, and 40% B, 100% get B. That doesn't erase the fact that 40% actually wanted B. The fact they agreed that they'd all stick together doesn't change the fact that a very large minority was in favor of the deal that's congress is talking about enforcing, which was a compromise. Framing it as if the congress is just giving the railroads whatever they wanted is not accurate.

The unions that voted in favor of it have all pledged to support any strike actions.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jarmak posted:

They agreed to all stick together, and that's what's happening. Congress is trying to nullify that, therefore they are going against the worker's will. This is not complicated.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

The unions that voted in favor of it have all pledged to support any strike actions.

Nucleic Acids posted:

I already addressed this and you've both ignored my rebuttal

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Jarmak posted:

No, I didn’t, I just don’t accept your arguments.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jarmak posted:

In that case, can you rephrase it? I do not understand the point you are making.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

To be fair to biden, he asked voters to deliver him two additional democratic senators and they only gave him one.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Jarmak posted:

A large minority of California voters wanted Republican electoral victories. Should Congress have "compromised" and threw out the actual results in favor of installing Republicans across the state????

If the unions require a unanimous vote and the vote was not unanimous, then every single union votes no. That's just how that system works.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Apparently Cornyn walked it back. Best source I have:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1597987428362760193

Cornyn's account has retweeted it, so this is the message he wants out- that said, I can't tell what vote it's referring to.

Cygnids
Dec 14, 2021

Jarmak posted:

Is it this?

Jarmak posted:

I mean, the railroads want Biden's recommendation adopted, Biden wants that too, the group that the railroads are negotiating with voted that deal down, and now congress is threatening to impose it on them. Why is that summary seemingly offensive to you? It is very precisely giving the railroads what they currently want.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
If they force this contract, even if it doesn’t lead to a wildcat strike, it’s going to cause more labor attrition which will threaten critical infrastructure. In addition to that, it’s going to severely damage the reputation of democrats among them which could also affect the standing of the party with other unions thus weakening the chances of winning future elections.

Forcing the contract is just kicking the can. It only solves the issue in the short term.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jarmak posted:

I think your logic is a little black and white since that's a very simple explanation of democracies vs. how this actually works in Congress.. However, if your main point is that it's not accurate to frame it as "Congress is just giving the railroads whatever they want" then I think you're right.

A more accurate way to put it is that Congress is not allowing the unions to continue to negotiate for what they want and enforcing the current terms as is. The conflict here is if the unions should be able to continue to negotiate or not and Congress has decided they shouldn't even though the majority involved in the conflict want to.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

No, I didn’t, I just don’t accept your arguments.

Well you haven't provided any sort of reason why. The fact they agreed to strike if they didn't all agree to a deal isn't itself reflective of whether or not a significant portion of the membership approved of the deal. "The Union" isn't a singular entity (hell it's not even one union), you can't take the binary outcome of a political process and treat it like it was the stance of everyone who took part in the process. "They agreed to strike" is not a trump card that invalidates the fact a very significant portion of the union members did support taking this deal, and characterizing the contents of the deal as being the everything the railroad wanted is flatly false.

Which is the basically exactly what was said by noted anti-union organization *checks notes* the AFL-CIO.

Which is also why

Nucleic Acids posted:

What do you think will happen if they force a bad contract down the throats of members of what is supposed to be a reliable voting bloc for them? How do you think other members of that voting bloc will react?

Next to nothing will happen. Because every union that's not the railway unions knows their members are hosed by the economic fallout of a railway strike and so they're going to quietly stand to the side and do as absolutely little as keeping up the appearances of solidarity will let them get away with. See: The AFL-CIO coming out and saying congress should give them the sick days, but not saying a drat thing either way about congress enforcing the deal.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rigel posted:

Anyone who is seriously arguing that in the year of our lord 2022 we are going to use the army or police to beat and shoot strikers back to work, is out of their mind.

The police have literally attacked striking delivery workers(DHL, in Rhode Island) within the last 60 days.

Shoot, no, probably not, but beat? Yeah absolutely.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think your logic is a little black and white since that's a very simple explanation of democracies vs. how this actually works in Congress.. However, if your main point is that it's not accurate to frame it as "Congress is just giving the railroads whatever they want" then I think you're right.

A more accurate way to put it is that Congress is not allowing the unions to continue to negotiate for what they want and enforcing the current terms as is. The conflict here is if the unions should be able to continue to negotiate or not and Congress has decided they shouldn't even though the majority involved in the conflict want to.

Bolded is in fact the point I was making.

edit: and I agree with the rest of your post

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Twincityhacker posted:

Yes. And, shockingly, they still did not involve machinegunning down the crowd.

They just hit the protestors with everything other than machine guns. People were targeted to be shot by teargas. Pretty sure the press were a target also.

The cops walked down a DC street and yelled "light em up" and fired pepper balls at the home where one man had the audacity to film them from his door as they acted like an occupying force.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 30, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
There was a video from the george floyd protests where police literally just drove around doing drive-by's with rubber bullets on random people on the street so they could blow off steam. And taped themselves doing it.

Reminder that rubber bullets aren't non-lethal.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jarmak posted:

Bolded is in fact the point I was making.

edit: and I agree with the rest of your post

Word, gotcha, then I would definitely also say Congress is making multiple mistakes here and is being anti-labor by deciding to not allow negotiations to continue or to assist the workers in a compromise with the companies that a majority of union membership do approve of. I don't know the exact numbers of the yes/nos in each union but the ones who didn't agree represent a majority of the workers. It's definitely not a pro-labor move.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

There was a video from the george floyd protests where police literally just drove around doing drive-by's with rubber bullets on random people on the street so they could blow off steam. And taped themselves doing it.

Reminder that rubber bullets aren't non-lethal.

Remember when they tear gassed a street in Minneapolis and people had to flee into their homes?

Like, If there was a strike I am very doubtful it would have much violence but more because the modern strike has changed and gives less opportunity for it. I also think anyone whose argument against why is about how those things just don't happen do have a short memory.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Well you haven't provided any sort of reason why. The fact they agreed to strike if they didn't all agree to a deal isn't itself reflective of whether or not a significant portion of the membership approved of the deal. "The Union" isn't a singular entity (hell it's not even one union), you can't take the binary outcome of a political process and treat it like it was the stance of everyone who took part in the process. "They agreed to strike" is not a trump card that invalidates the fact a very significant portion of the union members did support taking this deal, and characterizing the contents of the deal as being the everything the railroad wanted is flatly false.

Which is the basically exactly what was said by noted anti-union organization *checks notes* the AFL-CIO.

Which is also why

Next to nothing will happen. Because every union that's not the railway unions knows their members are hosed by the economic fallout of a railway strike and so they're going to quietly stand to the side and do as absolutely little as keeping up the appearances of solidarity will let them get away with. See: The AFL-CIO coming out and saying congress should give them the sick days, but not saying a drat thing either way about congress enforcing the deal.

A significant portion did though, and the entire concept of solidarity is predicated on supporting fellow workers if enough vote against a contract that they hit the majority. And using the leadership of the AFL-CIO as a measure of the correct course of action seems rather silly given how poor they've done.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

"Whip the hell out of your caucus" has had an infamously poor success rate in the current Congress. And if the bill can't even pass the House without heavy whipping then there's no point even sending it to the 50/50 Senate where it needs 10 GOP votes or the nuclear option.

Personally, I think that the national rail strikes that happened in the 1990s are a much more relevant comparison than the rail strikes that happened in the 1890s. In fact, the Pullman Strike isn't included in your original claim because it was never declared illegal by Congress. Hell, most modern anti-strike legislation didn't exist yet. The Railway Labor Act wasn't passed until decades later. Taft-Harley was still more than half a century away. Labor law in general was in its infancy; there were no minimum wage laws, overtime/work hours laws, or even child labor laws, let alone worker protections such as the Fair Labor Standards Act.

I'm pointing out that literally every single national railway strike in living memory ended peacefully, without federal troops being sent out to shoot anyone - even if they were declared illegal by Congress forcing a settlement on them

And I am pointing out that these all occurred in the wake of -thank you for the correction, i had thought congress was more involved at Pullman!- the executive branch deciding that the strikers were endangering national security, and so the strikers had to die.

Joe Biden has explained that sometimes, the rights of workers to strike, and the rights of people to sick leave, just have to take a backseat, to the orderly operation of the American economy. As Discendo Vox pointed out: national security would be imperiled, if the workers were permitted to strike for better conditions.

And so he has asked Congress to hand him the ol' negotiatin' gun, for use when the unions say 'we do not accept this deal.'

Because it is very useful, in negotiation, to have 'if you do not accept my terms, I'm allowed to have you killed' on the table.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Word, gotcha, then I would definitely also say Congress is making multiple mistakes here and is being anti-labor by deciding to not allow negotiations to continue or to assist the workers in a compromise with the companies that a majority of union membership do approve of. I don't know the exact numbers of the yes/nos in each union but the ones who didn't agree represent a majority of the workers. It's definitely not a pro-labor move.

Absolutely fair. I just think there isn't an option here that doesn't have significant downside, so having a discussion that isn't just a screaming match requires not trying to jump to the most hyperbolic extreme characterizations we think we can get away with.

Personally I feel like this is one of those lovely situations where the choice is between taking a morally correct stand that will end up being fruitless and destructive, or abandoning principals out of expediency because the practical cost of not doing so is too high. History tends to indicate the latter will be the path chosen and everyone who's not those directly getting screwed will most likely at most make some noises about it before memory-holing it because they don't want to deal with the consequences either.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Remember when they tear gassed a street in Minneapolis and people had to flee into their homes?

Like, If there was a strike I am very doubtful it would have much violence but more because the modern strike has changed and gives less opportunity for it. I also think anyone whose argument against why is about how those things just don't happen do have a short memory.

The only point to be made on it is that police will not use live ammunition on striking workers. That mostly hasn't happened in about 100 years.

Will they beat the poo poo out of striking workers? Yes. That's not really arguable.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

The only point to be made on it is that police will not use live ammunition on striking workers. That mostly hasn't happened in about 100 years.

Will they beat the poo poo out of striking workers? Yes. That's not really arguable.

To be fair I think the skin color of those workers has a lot to do with whether the police beat the poo poo out of them.

edit reminder that 100 years ago a lot of those workers we're talking about weren't considered "white"

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

To be fair I think the skin color of those workers has a lot to do with whether the police beat the poo poo out of them.

edit reminder that 100 years ago a lot of those workers we're talking about weren't considered "white"

Wow! Those poilice officers sound like some rude customers! Has anyone told Joe about this?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Jarmak posted:

Any time you decide skin color doesn't matter when talking about policing in America, you're almost certainly wrong.

quote:

Yes they were. That's a myth, like "Irish slaves."

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
If the politicians are saying, out loud, that national security is at stake, then they are preparing to protect national security by any means necessary… except forcing the RR to make a better deal.

Being anti-labor in general is bad, but in this instance, they’re shouting themselves in the foot right before they kick the fan down the road with that same foot.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Verus posted:

Wow! Those poilice officers sound like some rude customers! Has anyone told Joe about this?

Yeah he gave them 35 billion extra in cash and prizes for removing those "superpredators" he spent 40 years arguing for harsher sentences for from our streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Yes they were. That's a myth, like "Irish slaves."

No, it's not a myth, generally almost every ethnic group that migrated to the United States was otherized as "not white" during a period of nativist pushback. Hell Ben Franklin even famously wrote about which Germans counted as "white people" during the German immigration wave in colonial days. In the beginning of the 20th century Slavs, Jews, Italians, and Irish all got this treatment to varying degrees and timelines.

edit: equating it to African slavery or the legacy of institutionalized racism is where this completely breaks down, not that it didn't happen at all.