Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
MLB tv works great if not for blackouts which is kind of like saying your car runs perfectly fine except all the tires are flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mlb.tv is great and even though everyone bitches about blackouts there is unfortunately not much they can do it about it now I think. I'm sure lifting them and dealing with all the individual RSNs contracts and such would be a significant headache and also probably require payouts or re-working of contracts and that isn't something I can see happening

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

zoux posted:

Almost $40m AAV

While a lot of money for baseball player, for Judge it just seems like the Yankees lowballing him for a second time.

The years are fine, but everybody knows Hal could go higher than that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fast cars loose anus posted:

By the way it will forever baffle me that MLB was not only one of the first entities to get streaming right, they did it so well that it WWE, HBONow, WatchESPN, the PGA Tour and Disney ended up either paying to use it or just buying it outright (in Disney's case)

I applied for a network engineering position at MLBAM (I was wildly underqualified) a few years back and it is the only time I actually wrote a cover letter and meant it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nodoze posted:

Mlb.tv is great and even though everyone bitches about blackouts there is unfortunately not much they can do it about it now I think. I'm sure lifting them and dealing with all the individual RSNs contracts and such would be a significant headache and also probably require payouts or re-working of contracts and that isn't something I can see happening

RSNs, cable / satellite operators and the teams themselves are why the blackouts exist, yeah.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

RSNs, cable / satellite operators and the teams themselves are why the blackouts exist, yeah.

MLB tried to buy all the rights the other year but Sinclair beat their price by like, a relative pittance and apparently Manfred couldn't get the owners in line to up their offer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Which is insane because I can't imagine how big of a boon that would be for drawing in new fans if they could watch every team all for the price of a single yearly subscription.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

I applied for a network engineering position at MLBAM (I was wildly underqualified) a few years back and it is the only time I actually wrote a cover letter and meant it.

I don't think I've ever written a cover letter that wasn't mostly just a copy/paste of the job listing so it would get flagged

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1595574422953496581

Opie absolutely stacking paper Koufax signed for $130k and Drysdale for $105k in '66

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Popete posted:

Which is insane because I can't imagine how big of a boon that would be for drawing in new fans if they could watch every team all for the price of a single yearly subscription.

New fans don’t need all the games. New fans need a single team’s games, unless they’re Rob Lowe in an NFL hat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

MLB tried to buy all the rights the other year but Sinclair beat their price by like, a relative pittance and apparently Manfred couldn't get the owners in line to up their offer.

Getting 30 owners to agree on where to order catering from for a league meeting is like trying to fight a rhinoceros with a fly swatter and a box of Kleenex; something them to agree on something that involves that amount of money is a Sisyphean task.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I know MLB mints money but even still I think buying out the RSNs would be an astronomical expense. In many cases the local sports teams are THE incentive to get cable…that’s just such a massive portion of overall entertainment spending tied up in the existing hodgepodge system, I can’t imagine MLB just waving a money wand to change it all.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Edward Mass posted:

New fans don’t need all the games. New fans need a single team’s games, unless they’re Rob Lowe in an NFL hat.

Have single team subscription plans that give a cut to the team's network. Probably won't go for it because that doesn't give the money a cable provider does. Shoot you could even let the network do their ads instead of the same 3 ads MLB tv shows all season.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's baffling that as an Astro fan in Portland I get a much better (and cheaper!) watching experience than an Astro fan in Houston.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

I know MLB mints money but even still I think buying out the RSNs would be an astronomical expense. In many cases the local sports teams are THE incentive to get cable…that’s just such a massive portion of overall entertainment spending tied up in the existing hodgepodge system, I can’t imagine MLB just waving a money wand to change it all.

It cost Sinclair $10b to buy up all of their rights, and MLB ending blackouts doesn't stop them from broadcasting on cable as well. Most of the RSNs end up in long and acrimonious fights with the cable carriers anyway, so you'd have to assume the teams that own them would rather just get the money straight from people regardless.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

It's baffling that as an Astro fan in Portland I get a much better (and cheaper!) watching experience than an Astro fan in Houston.

Or, indeed, the literal loving ENTIRETY OF TEXAS

That's what really hacks me off. I'm in San Antonio. I should be blacked out of neither of the Texas teams.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

it is purely an issue of the league/owners do not care, they could work out deals to avoid blackouts but it is not a priority for them

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

bawfuls posted:

historically epic inability to assemble even a league average bullpen

Yup it was comical. They would waste draft picks signing closers, who then melted down. They had no middle guys to bridge to the 9th, so they would draft college relievers and try to rush them to the majors. You'd think they'd just randomly have a guy in the minors breakthrough and be a decent arm, or a failed starter make the switch to the bullpen -- nope!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

it is purely an issue of the league/owners do not care, they could work out deals to avoid blackouts but it is not a priority for them

Oh clearly, but Manfred at least realized it would be a good thing.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Ya the Jays didn't have blackouts on mlb.tv until Rogers really started pushing SNNOW. Teams want blackouts cause the amount they get from mlbtv is gently caress all compared to rsn fees.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

Or, indeed, the literal loving ENTIRETY OF TEXAS

That's what really hacks me off. I'm in San Antonio. I should be blacked out of neither of the Texas teams.

Astros games are blacked out not only in the entire state of Texas, but every state which borders Texas. I pay some ungodly amount to Fubo each month to get access to att sports southwest

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 1, 2022

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

zoux posted:

Astros games are blacked out not only in the entire state of Texas, but every state which borders Texas. I pay some ungodly amount to Fubo each month to get access to att sports southwest

Yeah in OK I cannot watch Royals, Astros, Cardinals, and Rangers games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1598120809197105152

lol I still can't believe Gray got 4/56 despite never putting up anything resembling an elite season.

I'd be extremely wary of giving Taillon a hefty contract, even ignoring his injury history his peripherals and xStats were pretty iffy this year at best.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I would rather have Taillon than Frankie Montas!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
can anybody fill me in on Senga?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

In Dubuque, Iowa, I'm blacked out from Cubs, Brewers, White Sox, Cardinals, Twins and Royals games.

Yet when I lived in Madison, Wisconsin, 85 miles north of Dubuque, my only blackout was Brewers games.

Figure that poo poo out.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/1598048634402181138

:barf:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Do switch hitters have to wear two patches?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

And it doesn't have TBS so it is useless for the playoffs

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Inspector_666 posted:

It cost Sinclair $10b to buy up all of their rights, and MLB ending blackouts doesn't stop them from broadcasting on cable as well. Most of the RSNs end up in long and acrimonious fights with the cable carriers anyway, so you'd have to assume the teams that own them would rather just get the money straight from people regardless.
The RSN/carrier brouhaha is over carriage fees, which is why the economics of the bolded also don't work.

Overly simplified: RSNs want to be on each carrier (cable and OTT)'s basic offering, because they get paid per subscriber not per subscriber who watches their station. As ESPN/Disney have been learning with their aggressive push on ESPN+, there aren't enough people willing to pay for live sports to make up for all the people paying for live sports who don't give a gently caress about them.

If this sounds like a moot point because precovid RSN financials were shaky at best, OTT products have ditched RSNs without fatal consequences, and cordcutting isn't slowing down, you'd be correct. But the golden eggs of a cancerous goose spend the same.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The absolute best part of being a fan of a team on the opposite coast and league of my local blackout team is being able to rely on MLB.TV for nearly every game.

Don’t recommend it if you can avoid it though, those 1:45AM endings get old very fast.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

elentar posted:

can anybody fill me in on Senga?

he's sick as h*ck and deals. below video is good primer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqnPBOq4FE

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Do switch hitters have to wear two patches?

I asked this recently and was told it'll depend on which way they'll start batting

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

And it doesn't have TBS so it is useless for the playoffs

yeah there was a Spanish station showing it at least so I watched the entire ALCS in a language I very barely know any of

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Poque posted:

I asked this recently and was told it'll depend on which way they'll start batting

How does this work? Will a switch hitter have to change jerseys if they're switching what side they're hitting off of? Like, if they're going against a LHP reliever after starting against an RHP starter?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That sounds like they’ll have two jerseys but will wear the one that fits with their first ab of the game. So if a lefty is pitching and you’re batting righty you’d wear it on your left side. If they bring a rightie in and you switch sides you keep the same jersey.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

That sounds like they’ll have two jerseys but will wear the one that fits with their first ab of the game. So if a lefty is pitching and you’re batting righty you’d wear it on your left side. If they bring a rightie in and you switch sides you keep the same jersey.

Yeah it's this. Appreciate the clarification!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Personally, I think they should be forced to switch jerseys every time they switch sides. And then watch the carnage when a switch hitter goes against Pat Venditte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Switch hitter on deck, pitcher gets pulled, hitter has to run into the tunnel quick to change into his jersey with the patch on the other arm